Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Enos offense

Started by deedster84, August 24, 2015, 08:29:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Hognspace on August 25, 2015, 08:59:50 pm
You didn't play football did you?  Certainly haven't ever coached it. 

I do.  We build plays into our season from beginning to end and unveiling it against certain opponents.  Having repped it in practice over and over, but not showing it on film.  Sometimes we even put in plays during a game that we will never run on teams to get it on film.  The chess match that is play calling through out a season is much more intricate than you even begin to understand...
I'm happy for you. You're obviously very sold on yourself. 

I did play football and I've covered this team for 41 seasons. I know what I see. The offense does not change radically because it's SEC play. As I said there are some things saved for specific opponents but the notion that we won't see Enos' offense until Texas A&M is laughable.

SharpTusk

Quote from: JayBell on August 26, 2015, 10:56:43 am
IMO, Enos' main duties are as a fundamental position coach and a playcaller.  That is what was most disappointing about Chaney.  I think he got more ire than he deserved for his playcalling, but it was definitely a detriment at times.

He didn't have the talent, specially at receiver, to pull off what he wanted to do at times, but he would revert to an emphasis on the spread.  That hurt Arkansas because of said lack of talent at receiver.

Enos just needs to be better at making defenses unsure of what plays are coming.  If he can do that, the increased talent on offense could surprise a lot of folks.

As I attempted unsuccessfully to get back into the groove of writing regularly last fall, I  tried to figure out whose offense Arkansas ran.  As I looked at Tennessee's plays from the time Chaney was interim coach, I saw a lot that looked familiar to what I was seeing last season at Arkansas, and like many have pointed out, at TN his offense was able to make the long completions leaving me with believing that common knowledge was correct. We didn't have the players to make that part of it work. 

On the other hand, Arkansas's run vs pass % had continued to rise in 2013. Against Power 5 opponents last year at times the breakdown was almost artificially even at times.  Where the Razorbacks were ahead, we ran more, behind, threw more. Standard stuff. 

Although I believe that I saw many of the same plays as at Tennessee,  UT tended to pass more in 2012 and were in a number of shootouts that season. 

I'm not sure from looking at it that Chaney's scheme was designed to be played like Bielema plays ball or mixed with Bielema's plays. It's Bielema who loses a 3-4M a year job if it doesn't work over time.  Ultimately the offense last season seemed like a hodge podge particularly in the 2nd half where adjustments seemed rare. 

I doubt that there's a huge distinction between what Bielema ran at Wisconsin and what he saw Enos participate in at Michigan St.  I see him delegating to Enos within a familiar framework. I concluded that it was more Bielema's control over the offense last year. This year it will be moreso in  my mind.
Writer on  hog database

31to6

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 26, 2015, 03:08:52 pm
Gotta hope for better than 7.2 yards per pass attempt. That's barely passable. Blake Sims had 8.9 last season. He was released by a CFL team.

And these days the target for yards per rush is more like 5.5.
I don't disagree. But 7.2 is what you need to hit CBB's stated target of 200 yards per game if you assume 70 snaps, which is about the tempo we have been running.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: JayBell on August 26, 2015, 10:56:43 am
Enos just needs to be better at making defenses unsure of what plays are coming.  If he can do that, the increased talent on offense could surprise a lot of folks.

Really?  Isn't that the goal of every offensive coordinator? 

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 26, 2015, 05:41:23 am
Nah. We can handle the truth. It is you we don't like.  ;)

Just kidding.

Lol fair enough.

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 26, 2015, 05:44:02 am
I sure thought we had one of the lowest sack ratios in the conference?

Take a look:
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/pittmans-offensive-lines-allow-fewest-sacks/

This might be the reason people pick on you. You think it is because we don't like negative, but it maybe because your facts are off. Maybe?

Heres the problem I have with that. BA has been trained to take 1-2 reads, then if nothing is there scramble out and throw it in the stands. He is good at sensing pressure and getting rid of the ball, which prevents sacks. Its no wonder that we have the lowest sacks in the SEC. This is a good thing. But to fix it, the OL just needs to block better. People rag on BA about throwing it in the stands, but you dont hear them rag on the OL for poor pass pro in those same plays. Sometimes its not the OL's fault and it is BAs fault, and vice versa. My point is that BA has another year under his belt and the WRs have supposedly improved. If we go out and see BA throwing it in the stands this year because he is hurried then we probably need to start looking elsewhere to place the blame, and in that case it will be the OL. Maybe they have improved as well, which remains to be seen, but I hope they have.

Lake City Hog

Guys, I want to give BB a little more credit than most of you seem to. I really think that BB has figured out that against the highest quality competition you CANNOT "just run the ball down their throats". That is why I think that we WILL see a bit of a difference in our offensive philosophy.

We WILL run the ball and we WILL be good at running the ball, but we will also be better at throwing the ball. Enos will have the authority to call the plays that he feels good about calling. I think that we will use the run game to allow us to play action the defense, which in our case is a dead given! It will be our ability to throw the ball well that will determine our success.

I don't think that we have to hit 2 or 3 40 yard bombs per game to be successful. I believe that we have to hit enough passes over the middle where the Linebackers should be to force DC's to honor our passing game. Make them drop those LB's just 2 or 3 steps and our run game becomes a real nightmare.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: 1hogfan on August 24, 2015, 09:54:34 pm
Would someone explain what is so hard about running a screen?  It didn't seem hard in the past or with other teams. I am confused. Thanks

Timing and your OLM selling the fact that  they are purposely allowing the D to get by them then the OLM getting down field and blocking those fast and shifty DBs and LBs.

Mulberry Squeezins

Would someone explain what is so hard about running a screen?  It didn't seem hard in the past or with other teams. I am confused. Thanks
Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 26, 2015, 10:08:49 pm
Timing and your OLM selling the fact that  they are purposely allowing the D to get by them then the OLM getting down field and blocking those fast and shifty DBs and LBs.

Blocking in space is difficult for a big guy, especially when they are going after LB's.  When Big guys are moving forward, their instinct is to initiate contact.  But in space, they act more as a BB player doing a moving screen in that they need to be more patient and allow the defender to come to them. It's really more about getting in the defender's way, then sealing him off, than it is knocking him on his 6.  It's extremely hard to do when you're running balls out.     

lasthog

Quote from: Hognspace on August 25, 2015, 08:59:50 pm
You didn't play football did you?  Certainly haven't ever coached it. 

I do.  We build plays into our season from beginning to end and unveiling it against certain opponents.  Having repped it in practice over and over, but not showing it on film.  Sometimes we even put in plays during a game that we will never run on teams to get it on film.  The chess match that is play calling through out a season is much more intricate than you even begin to understand...

No offense coach, and I apologize for outing you, but are you Farmer Fran?

WarPig88

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 26, 2015, 07:02:53 am
Not trying to bash Allen because I'm one of seems like few that actually believe in him. But could this have something to do with the QB's? Ryan Mallett and Tyler Wilson compared to Brandon Allen...hmmm? Those two were on another level when it comes to Arkansas QB's. They would shine playing in any system!

????

Mallett wasn't shining at Michigan. He wasn't sucking, but he wasn't shining either.

You must not have read where ALL three of our qbs to play so far under CBB have done this?

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: supersaint on August 24, 2015, 10:14:11 pm
It really comes down to timing, execution, the playbook, consistency, and heart.  If you don't have all of those, then your screens will fail.
I think you're really on to something here.  I would also add that our offense, as a whole, needs to put a strong emphasis on scoring more points than our opponents, at least in the games in which we are facing them.  If we can do that, along with all that stuff you said, I believe we have a legitimate shot at beating some teams this year.  Now, admittedly, I am not a football coach, but IMHO, had we scored more points than Missouri last year, we would have walked away from that game with a W (with or without a healthy BA).  Just my .02
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

WorfHog

August 27, 2015, 08:25:52 pm #111 Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:52:50 am by WorfHog
So Enos averages around 3000 yards passing per season.  So if we get 60/40 run/pass split that means we'll gain 375 ypg if we run a 12 game schedule. I think that's National Championship figures.

Edit: Bad Maths!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on August 26, 2015, 09:35:54 pm
Lol fair enough.

Heres the problem I have with that. BA has been trained to take 1-2 reads, then if nothing is there scramble out and throw it in the stands. He is good at sensing pressure and getting rid of the ball, which prevents sacks. Its no wonder that we have the lowest sacks in the SEC. This is a good thing. But to fix it, the OL just needs to block better. People rag on BA about throwing it in the stands, but you dont hear them rag on the OL for poor pass pro in those same plays. Sometimes its not the OL's fault and it is BAs fault, and vice versa. My point is that BA has another year under his belt and the WRs have supposedly improved. If we go out and see BA throwing it in the stands this year because he is hurried then we probably need to start looking elsewhere to place the blame, and in that case it will be the OL. Maybe they have improved as well, which remains to be seen, but I hope they have.

You see I have a different memory than you do on this. While he did throw it the stands some I don't recall it being due to running for his life as much as the receivers couldn't get open. OLines can only hold their blocks for so long - especially in the SEC where there are some great DLinemen. It is incumbent upon the WRs to get some separation which they had a hard time doing. Especially when we had so many possession WRs last year.

The Ds crowded the box because we ran so much coupled with the WRs running routes for possession guys (short routes) made it easier on the defense. Ideally if the safeties creep down then you want your burner to fly past them and make them pay for creeping down. We didn't have that. So our WRs were constantly covered.

Thus BA throws it in the stands. That was more of the situation as I recall. Not running for his life because the OLine couldn't block. 

Of course I don't know of any stat that would make the case for one of us. We are simply left to our memories and for me that isn't much comfort.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 26, 2015, 07:02:53 am
Not trying to bash Allen because I'm one of seems like few that actually believe in him. But could this have something to do with the QB's? Ryan Mallett and Tyler Wilson compared to Brandon Allen...hmmm? Those two were on another level when it comes to Arkansas QB's. They would shine playing in any system!

Here is what I think you are missing. When you compare BA to Mallett and Wilson - you have to compare their teams as well.

Who did Mallett have coaching him (and calling plays)?
Who did Wilson have?
Who did BA have?

Now look at Wilson's last year? It wasn't as good as Mallett's or Wilson's previous year. BA continued the suffering.

I believe CBB has commented on the way the previous coaches threw BA to the wolves and damaged him. So it is hard to compare these three since Mallett had a superior team and play caller than BA. In other words Bobby Petrino is greater than Paul Petrino or Chaney.

We are getting ready to see where Eno fits into the mix of play callers. And for the schemes we run this team may be as good as the teams Mallett QBed for.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: WorfHog on August 27, 2015, 08:25:52 pm
So Enos averages around 3000 yards passing per season.  So if we get 60/40 run/pass split that means we'll gain 625 ypg if we run a 12 game schedule. I think that's National Championship figures.

Well, a lot of Dan's teams have also had to play from behind a lot. I think our passing to be more around the 2,600 yard mark.

WorfHog

Last year we passed for 46.31% of our total yards and 39.19% of our plays were passes.  I don't think we'll stray from the 40% of plays, but I do think the number of passing yards will increase.

Hognspace

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 26, 2015, 08:22:12 pm

I did play football and I've covered this team for 41 seasons. I know what I see. The offense does not change radically because it's SEC play. As I said there are some things saved for specific opponents but the notion that we won't see Enos' offense until Texas A&M is laughable.

I really don't want to pick a fight with you, but some of your comments to Guvhog just seemed crass and unneeded.  I thought I would return the favor for him.  You missed the point then and seem to still miss the point.  Of course the offense will be Enos's before the Texas A&M game.  The Hogs will use the cupcakes to work on the basics, but to think that they will not give teams things to prepare for or save plays to unleash if needed is either ignorance or misunderstanding of how things work.  Coaching at an elite level is more demanding than most couch coaches even understand.  Even people that have played the game are not privileged to understand the difficulty of personel selection, scouting, and game prep.  Most high school coaching staffs in the state don't even take a professional approach to the game planning aspect of the game.  The schools that do are on top of their conferences most years. 

41 years?  Come on man...you are not 59 years old... have you even been working in the media for 41 years?

factchecker

Quote from: Hognspace on August 29, 2015, 03:48:54 am
41 years?  Come on man...you are not 59 years old... have you even been working in the media for 41 years?

I hope you are being sarcastic?  Mike has been covering the Razorbacks since the 70s. 

QuoteMike is the dean of Arkansas sportscasters having covered Razorback athletics continuously since 1975. He has won several AP awards over the years and has reported live from three Final 4's, three College World Series, five Cotton Bowls, the Orange Bowl, numerous other bowls, NCAA basketball and baseball regionals.

link: http://www.nwahomepage.com/contact/about-us/mike-irwin
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ChitownHawg

I really don't want to pick a fight with you, but some of your comments to Guvhog just seemed crass and unneeded.  I thought I would return the favor for him.  You missed the point then and seem to still miss the point.  Of course the offense will be Enos's before the Texas A&M game.  The Hogs will use the cupcakes to work on the basics, but to think that they will not give teams things to prepare for or save plays to unleash if needed is either ignorance or misunderstanding of how things work.  Coaching at an elite level is more demanding than most couch coaches even understand.  Even people that have played the game are not privileged to understand the difficulty of personel selection, scouting, and game prep.  Most high school coaching staffs in the state don't even take a professional approach to the game planning aspect of the game.  The schools that do are on top of their conferences most years. 

He is close to my age so he probably is.

And I love the way you say you don't want to pick a fight, yet your first response to Mike is to insult him about not playing football. A bit of advice - don't lead off with insults or assumptions about someone's personal life if you don't want to start an argument.

We know who Mike is, so he has credibility. I don't believe we know what your credentials are. So stop expecting people to take your word on face value. I'm not a coach, but I have an opinion. Some people agree and some don't. That's life.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: factchecker on August 29, 2015, 04:03:24 am
I hope you are being sarcastic?  Mike has been covering the Razorbacks since the 70s. 

link: http://www.nwahomepage.com/contact/about-us/mike-irwin

I see you were dumbfounded by his comments as well. But of course it is a bit understandable as Mike does look like his is right out of college.  ;) Sorry Mike.  ;D

deedster84

So the not so simple question about the offense is still a mystery it seems. Glad it's only 8 days away so we can get an idea. I don't expect them to open up the playbook against the 1st 3 opponents. I'm just curious if its basically the same running packages with a little west coast passing thrown in and having someone that can stretch the field. BTW, thanks for the responses. All I know for sure is we should run good.

OldCoot

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 24, 2015, 09:39:01 pm
well its not surprising we are trying different combinations at LB.  its by far our thinnest position and has been for years.

I'm definitely concerned about kicking.  it was a concern last year too.

The staff has already said they have their depth chart set.  They are now in the process of seeing what players have the ability to play other positions.  They are just testing new things out.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 26, 2015, 08:22:12 pm

Good God man!! I love it when your patience is wearing thin. I have noticed an over abundance of literal "know-nothing, know-it-all's" this year... Keep smacking down the liars.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

PonderinHog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on August 29, 2015, 09:11:09 am
Good God man!! I love it when your patience is wearing thin. I have noticed an over abundance of literal "know-nothing, know-it-all's" this year... Keep smacking down the liars.
Mike Irwin is a Hogville treasure!  I'd hate to think what this board would be like without him and heck, I don't agree with him 100% of the time.  I can't help it if he's mistaken occasionally.   8)   :razorback:

Hognspace

August 29, 2015, 09:26:39 am #124 Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:04:40 am by Hognspace
Looks like I stand corrected on a few things.  My apologies Mike Irwin. 

Go Hogs.   :razorback:

A liar I am not...

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hognspace on August 29, 2015, 09:26:39 am
Looks like I stand correct on a few things.  My apologies Mike Irwin. 

Go Hogs.   :razorback:

A liar I am not...

I agree you are not a liar. You have your opinion which I do like when you express it without the jabbing at others. I don't agree with you on this point about the offense, yet I can see you are giving it some thought.

Justagp

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 29, 2015, 09:20:41 am
Mike Irwin is a Hogville treasure!  I'd hate to think what this board would be like without him and heck, I don't agree with him 100% of the time.  I can't help it if he's mistaken occasionally.   8)   :razorback:
^^^^^ This and +1 to you and Mike

Biggus Piggus

Trying to imagine what level of naivete it takes to type something like this. Please, man. Quit posting and just read for a while.
[CENSORED]!

CokeHog

Another interesting component that could be an X-factor this year is the fact that Coach B just recently said he now has full confidence in Austin Allen as backup QB.

Why is that relevant? Could it lead to BA maybe taking off on a run every now and then or possibly even some type of option keeper? A QB who is a willing runner is something we haven't had in awhile.

Don't know, but it seems to be an alternative we have this year we didn't last year.
Go Hogs!

Mike Irwin

I don't claim to be a football genius. Most of what I post there comes from coaches I've talked to over the years. Several of the offensive coordinators have told me that this idea of hiding parts of the offense from non conference opponents is overstated. These days it would be a good way to get your butt beat. UTEP for instance is not a team they feel like they can fool around with. Now if you get into the second half and you're up by five touchdowns maybe you alter your game plan. Take out your starters and go to a bare bones offense.

Shrevepork

This is a much more interesting thread than the one where they're obsessing over the uniforms.

hoglady

Chaney said last year the offensive line is too big and slow footed to run an effective screen.
He seemed to always be asked in just about every interview why we didn't run screens and that was always his answer.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 29, 2015, 12:07:16 pm
Trying to imagine what level of naivete it takes to type something like this. Please, man. Quit posting and just read for a while.

+1

Mike is not an idiot and a great contributor here... Please post more.  :razorback:

I also liked it when Murf contributed here all the time but stopped because certain bloggers who posted under a Nom De Plume like Bacon Bitz just couldn't wait to tear down his analysis. Which made zero sense.... And in your posts made guys like Josh Goforth look bad. (Not going into it further but one notices trends...)

These are exactly the posts we need... They aren't Ivory Towers but be respectful even when there is a disagreement at hand. I really seek this exchange out and appreciate the level heads.

Wooo Pig from Brazil.  :razorback: :razorback:

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 29, 2015, 05:08:25 pm
I don't claim to be a football genius. Most of what I post there comes from coaches I've talked to over the years. Several of the offensive coordinators have told me that this idea of hiding parts of the offense from non conference opponents is overstated. These days it would be a good way to get your butt beat. UTEP for instance is not a team they feel like they can fool around with. Now if you get into the second half and you're up by five touchdowns maybe you alter your game plan. Take out your starters and go to a bare bones offense.

Plus, the more a team shows the more a defense has to prepare for. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on August 29, 2015, 10:04:08 pm
Plus, the more a team shows the more a defense has to prepare for.

Plus it isn't that you can throw a screen or a deep route. Knowing that doesn't really help the defense. It is when you call those plays that matter.

Just because the defense knows you can throw a screen doesn't mean they can afford to go to the LOS expecting a screen every down. Enos said it is when you call the play. When that safety creeps down to the LOS expecting a run and Enos has Reed flashing down the sidelines one on one with the corner with no over the top help. Boom!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hoglady on August 29, 2015, 09:03:27 pm
Chaney said last year the offensive line is too big and slow footed to run an effective screen.
He seemed to always be asked in just about every interview why we didn't run screens and that was always his answer.

I never believed that. We pulled O-Linemen on certain plays last year and that requires more quickness and speed from a timing standpoint than just drifting out into a screen where most of the time, the O-Linemen never throw a significant block but just get in the way of defenders. That in itself ends up being a block or sorts, but all the big guys have to do is just get out there, get in someones way and allow the RB to cut off of that action.
Go Hogs Go!

hoglady

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 30, 2015, 07:44:44 am
I never believed that. We pulled O-Linemen on certain plays last year and that requires more quickness and speed from a timing standpoint than just drifting out into a screen where most of the time, the O-Linemen never throw a significant block but just get in the way of defenders. That in itself ends up being a block or sorts, but all the big guys have to do is just get out there, get in someones way and allow the RB to cut off of that action.

Guess we'll find out this year.
If what posters above are saying is accurate and we still can't run an effective screen - there's got to be an issue somewhere.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hawgXi

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 25, 2015, 09:03:38 am
Bielema said yesterday that he thought Hatcher and Henry deserved 10 passes apiece in a game, with the other receivers getting 6-10 among them.

I REALLY HATE THIS. Hate. Hate. Hate.

It is telling your starting QB that he should look first for two guys, rather than letting the offense create openings + throwing to the most open receiver.

If the QB is looking for one or two guys on a play, you are practically locked into a long-developing play. First thing that happens is the QB watches the preferred receiver. Can he throw the receiver open? How long until the QB checks his other alternatives? Nothing stays open that long.

They keep saying this is Bielema's offense. I want Enos to coordinate the offense, thank you. I do not want to see station-to-station passing. If Arkansas is going to be that obvious about where it is throwing, Hatcher and Henry are going to gain nothing after the catch.

They seem to like Drew Morgan for his ability to catch the football in difficult situations. But it's more station-to-station passing. Thread needle, catch, tackled.

if true, I hate it too.

targeting two guys for 2/3's of the attempts seems like you're leaving a lot of opportunities on the field.

hopefully it's misinformation for opposing DC as we have more talented WR/TE than I ever remember seeing on the hill.

If true, then it looks like CBB was running the offense last year too, and what you are saying is heading the O in this same direction.

I watched a recording of the texas bowl last week and noticed on two plays receivers were wide open for TDs, but BA never saw them (one WR alone in the end zone & a second play wide open inside the 20) and the play went to the opposite side of the field.

hopefully I was missing something, like the play being telegraphed to the right so no one was defending to our left??

personally, I think with CDE comes change in the O, especially eliminating 4th quarter breakdowns.

I'd be happy with a "can do" winning attitude we saw in his 4th comeback in the CMU bowl game last year.

Or surely coming from the MSU tree, he can get similar results in 4th QTR come backs as the Sparty's last two bowl games.

bennyl08

Quote from: hawgXi on August 30, 2015, 09:30:36 am
if true, I hate it too.

targeting two guys for 2/3's of the attempts seems like you're leaving a lot of opportunities on the field.

hopefully it's misinformation for opposing DC as we have more talented WR/TE than I ever remember seeing on the hill.

If true, then it looks like CBB was running the offense last year too, and what you are saying is heading the O in this same direction.

I watched a recording of the texas bowl last week and noticed on two plays receivers were wide open for TDs, but BA never saw them (one WR alone in the end zone & a second play wide open inside the 20) and the play went to the opposite side of the field.

hopefully I was missing something, like the play being telegraphed to the right so no one was defending to our left??

personally, I think with CDE comes change in the O, especially eliminating 4th quarter breakdowns.

I'd be happy with a "can do" winning attitude we saw in his 4th comeback in the CMU bowl game last year.

Or surely coming from the MSU tree, he can get similar results in 4th QTR come backs as the Sparty's last two bowl games.

I don't think it is misinformation. I think it is true. However, I don't think that he is saying that BA has to throw it to Henry 10 times and Hatcher 10 times. Notice that even Biggus typed out 'deserved'. Do you think at the NFL, the lions don't say, we'd like to see Megatron touch it at least 10 times a game? Doesn't mean that Stafford has to throw it to him, but that they will run plays designed to get him in one on one situations or at least have Calvin be the first read in the progression. Which, honestly, he should be the first read on every passing down... However, saying Hatcher and Henry deserve 10 targets is a more specific way of saying feed the studs. You want the football in the hands of your best players.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Jon Ham

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 25, 2015, 09:03:38 am
Bielema said yesterday that he thought Hatcher and Henry deserved 10 passes apiece in a game, with the other receivers getting 6-10 among them.

I REALLY HATE THIS. Hate. Hate. Hate.

It is telling your starting QB that he should look first for two guys, rather than letting the offense create openings + throwing to the most open receiver.

If the QB is looking for one or two guys on a play, you are practically locked into a long-developing play. First thing that happens is the QB watches the preferred receiver. Can he throw the receiver open? How long until the QB checks his other alternatives? Nothing stays open that long.

They keep saying this is Bielema's offense. I want Enos to coordinate the offense, thank you. I do not want to see station-to-station passing. If Arkansas is going to be that obvious about where it is throwing, Hatcher and Henry are going to gain nothing after the catch.

They seem to like Drew Morgan for his ability to catch the football in difficult situations. But it's more station-to-station passing. Thread needle, catch, tackled.

Don't forget though, Bielema likes to lull them asleep with the running game and "safe" passing game and then take a shot deep. We'll run the majority of our plays through the RB's, Henry, and Hatcher (and do so effectively) and that will make the defense have to stay keyed in on those parts - then out of no where we play action to Reed streaking down the field with a step on his guy 1-1.

I do expect the offense to open up a little more with all the talent we have at WR, BA's been improving each year, and since we no longer have JWILL in the backfield.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hoglady on August 30, 2015, 08:57:17 am
Guess we'll find out this year.
If what posters above are saying is accurate and we still can't run an effective screen - there's got to be an issue somewhere.

There are probably very few posters on here who have enough access to the program and knowledge of what a properly executed screen pass should look like, to even be able to make that judgement. I've certainly not seen enough of this team in film clips to make that determination. How many of us have? You are right, we will know more when the season starts.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgXi

my hope is the enos offense added to CBB's offense = similar results to Wisconsin's beat down of Bo Pellini's Husker team 70-31 in BIGCG!

I'll take it every game

Cinco de Hogo

I have every faith that we will see plenty of properly executed screen plays this season.

However I doubt very many of us have enough to knowledge about football to recognize when that happens.

I would ask the one or two with access to the program(although I don't know why that matters) to please let us know when the team executes a proper screen.

razorback44

Outside of a screen play here and there, most fans aren't going to be able to tell the difference between this years offense and the past two. The structure is going to look virtually the same.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 30, 2015, 10:52:03 am
I have every faith that we will see plenty of properly executed screen plays this season.

However I doubt very many of us have enough to knowledge about football to recognize when that happens.

I would ask the one or two with access to the program(although I don't know why that matters) to please let us know when the team executes a proper screen.

The only thing we will know is whether it gained 8-10 yards or more (or 2-3 yards) and that will be how we will judge the effectiveness of screens. And maybe that is the best way. That doesn't get into the technical aspect of whether or not so-and-so was where he was supposed to be, kicking out or screening out this guy or that guy, but then the casual fan isn't concerned with that, only the results.
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 30, 2015, 11:37:05 am
The only thing we will know is whether it gained 8-10 yards or more (or 2-3 yards) and that will be how we will judge the effectiveness of screens. And maybe that is the best way. That doesn't get into the technical aspect of whether or not so-and-so was where he was supposed to be, kicking out or screening out this guy or that guy, but then the casual fan isn't concerned with that, only the results.

Yep that's me and at the end of the day a simple W or L tells me all I need to know, according to the opponent.

Oh I know the catch phrases, I know the positions, I know a little about down and distance, I get the results and why but i'll never try to be technical in my post.

I also can recognize hype and hyperbole.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 30, 2015, 12:40:10 pm
Yep that's me and at the end of the day a simple W or L tells me all I need to know, according to the opponent.

Oh I know the catch phrases, I know the positions, I know a little about down and distance, I get the results and why but i'll never try to be technical in my post.

I also can recognize hype and hyperbole.

It's funny when the plain and simple truth of a matter can be categorized as "hype and hyperbole".
Go Hogs Go!

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 30, 2015, 12:42:09 pm
It's funny when the plain and simple truth of a matter can be categorized as "hype and hyperbole".

What if it's not hype and hyperbole?  And I'm not sure where he sees it, unless he's talking about us idiots espousing  opinions on a message board. 

Bielema seems to be portraying confidence and he doesn't come across as someone interested in promoting hype.  I don't understand why it upsets people for a FAN to be excited.   

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 30, 2015, 12:42:09 pm

Sometimes, sometimes not, four months from now we will know the difference.  In between its not truth, it's opinion.

What the heck are we talking about anyway, LOL!

Oh ya I was kinda making fun of your comment about one or two having enough access to the team to know a screen pass when we see it.  You are at least partially right at least at game speed but I think a lot of fans could break it down in slow-mo.

Mike Irwin

With regard to screen passes, Enos made it clear that the offense isn't having trouble executing screen passes. They just had trouble on that one play. Brandon was pressured but at the same time there were defensive guys in place near the edge too. BA rushed his throw, it bounced it off Skipper's shoulder pads and Ledbetter snatched it in mid air.

He said he was able to use that video to make a teaching point about throwing the ball away when there's an effective pass rush and the screen pass is well covered too.