Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hoyer named Texans starting QB over Mallett

Started by checkraiser88, August 24, 2015, 08:47:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

He'll play not to lose - until he starts losing.  Patience.

seasonhog

Quote from: hoglady on August 25, 2015, 10:14:39 pm
All anyone has to do is listen to media that covers Houston sports.
I listened to one tonight that said Mallett would have had to be Aaron Rodgers to unseat Hoyer / that O'Brien had wanted Hoyer for this offense since the day he was hired. When an article headline is "O'Brien wants everyone to give Brian a chance" - he's paying too much attention to the fans.
Mallett when asked today whether he thought it was a fair competition he said "it is what it is".
They asked him if he felt better today "Obviously not, I wanted this job more than anything".
The Houston chronicle reporter McClain - said he gained a lot of respect for Mallett today, because he didn't sugarcoat anything.
It will not pretty in Houston this year - hope they trade Mallett away to avoid the inevitable QB controversy to come.

McClain has known for some time that Hoyer was the choice. He has been the one trying to convince the fans that Hoyer was the best man....he never got it done, Ryan just kept messing up their plans. That fair competition. quote from Ryan says it all.

hoglady

Quote from: seasonhog on August 25, 2015, 10:45:49 pm

McClain has known for some time that Hoyer was the choice. He has been the one trying to convince the fans that Hoyer was the best man....he never got it done, Ryan just kept messing up their plans. That fair competition. quote from Ryan says it all.

My guess is he feels shafted somewhat.
Mallett could have signed with the Jets for more money and turned it down to stay in Houston.  It's just not looking like he was straight up with Mallett from the start.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

seasonhog

Quote from: hoglady on August 25, 2015, 11:01:03 pm
My guess is he feels shafted somewhat.
Mallett could have signed with the Jets for more money and turned it down to stay in Houston.  It's just not looking like he was straight up with Mallett from the start.

No doubt , and I don't know why.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Look I said In another thread that Hoyer was going to get this job.

It was not an open competition. Never was. O'Brien had to say that to keep the fans and media at bay.

I live in Texas and have a lot of friends that are Texan fans. To a man they wanted Mallett, but expected Hoyer. None of these people are razorback fans.  One in fact the day after naming Hoyer the starter put his season tickets to stub hub. Exact words "mediocrity here we are again".

The Houston press raved about Mallett's ability and throws he made in camp.

Not one deep ball all preseason?  If that's not a setup!

O'Brien is playing not to lose. That rarely gets the job done.

He is showing king/ queen in black jack, and not doubling down.
Let's make some waves.

Hogarusa

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on August 30, 2015, 11:29:26 am
One in fact the day after naming Hoyer the starter put his season tickets to stub hub. Exact words "mediocrity here we are again".

fans crack me up.  4 winning seasons and 2 playoff appearances in their history, the franchise has been mediocre for their entire existence.  Hoyer becomes starter and that's where he draws the line
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 02, 2015, 08:51:47 pm
fans crack me up.  4 winning seasons and 2 playoff appearances in their history, the franchise has been mediocre for their entire existence.  Hoyer becomes starter and that's where he draws the line

:)
Let's make some waves.

hoglady

I think the Texans fan base wants to see this team take a risk at the QB position.

With a Mallett (who has superior physical talent throwing the ball) or through the draft with say a Teddy Bridgewater (who they could have taken) / instead of settling for a Hoyer.
That was probably the fans point who got fed up and drew the line.

I don't really know where the idea came from anyway that Hoyer won't lose you games and is safe. He had more interceptions than touchdowns last year - and that is not taking care of the ball.
But it keeps being repeated so now it's become the truth.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

DeltaBoy

Benched already and Mallet going to start week 2 GO RM!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hog.goblin

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 18, 2015, 10:34:06 am
Benched already and Mallet going to start week 2 GO RM!

I'm happy for RM!  However, if I was Texan fan, and I'm not, I would be awfully concerned about coach OB's decision making ability.  The only thing he did right through all this was correct his mistake immediately.

hoglady

Quote from: hog.goblin on September 18, 2015, 01:58:08 pm
I'm happy for RM!  However, if I was Texan fan, and I'm not, I would be awfully concerned about coach OB's decision making ability.  The only thing he did right through all this was correct his mistake immediately.

OB got his butt in a crack on this one.
He lobbied for Hoyer from the moment he took the job, when Hoyer became available he begged them to sign him and basically overpay him. He had to give the starting job to Hoyer. Now he looks like a fool.
Just think how much better that team could be right now if Mallett had gotten all the first team snaps throughout training camp and preseason.