Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

home based BBQ catering business

Started by jdelo77, August 03, 2015, 03:26:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jdelo77

how the Health code laws in Arkansas ?
what exactly does this entail ??
how hard is it to actually set up ?
I am seriously thinking about doing this as part time / weekend gig...anyone with any experience got any feedback for me ????

HawgWild

Drop some Q off at my house and I'll do you a good review on Yelp. I'm just saying............ ;D

jacobp

depends on where you're located.

I'd start with zoning. Most of the time you'll be approved for using your home for a catering business but i'd start there.

Then you'll want to check rules and regs regarding the actual kitchen. For some home based food operations, you're not actually allowed to use the main kitchen in the home. You'd have to have a separate kitchen.

There's licensing, fire codes, tax structure, etc.

In all honestly, if I were you I'd spread the word among family and friends and try to get several gigs that way. Then decide if you actually want to start a legit, official business or just do some gigs on the side for some easy cash.

baitshop

I ran a BBQ catering business out of my house for 3 years when I lived in Texas....I didn't call anybody, fill out any paperwork, get any permits, or register with anybody....

I bought a used residential oven and put in on a used stainless steel table in my garage for cooking baked beans, cobblers, etc. Made the potato salad and coleslaw in my kitchen. I bought a used Cres Cor heater (like KFC uses to keep chicken warm) and a couple of used commercial Cambro containers to transport the product....

Menu was pork butt, brisket, or ribs....coleslaw, potato salad and baked beans with Texas toast and a vegetable tray (onions, jalepenos, pickles) and tea or a keg. Catered groups up to 75.

Made a good little living for a part time job...

Word of mouth and a good facebook page will keep you more than busy if you are good at what you do....
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

BR

Quote from: baitshop on August 03, 2015, 08:31:19 pm
I ran a BBQ catering business out of my house for 3 years when I lived in Texas....I didn't call anybody, fill out any paperwork, get any permits, or register with anybody....

I bought a used residential oven and put in on a used stainless steel table in my garage for cooking baked beans, cobblers, etc. Made the potato salad and coleslaw in my kitchen. I bought a used Cres Cor heater (like KFC uses to keep chicken warm) and a couple of used commercial Cambro containers to transport the product....

Menu was pork butt, brisket, or ribs....coleslaw, potato salad and baked beans with Texas toast and a vegetable tray (onions, jalepenos, pickles) and tea or a keg. Catered groups up to 75.

Word of mouth and a good facebook page will keep you more than busy if you are good at what you do....
This unless you cater a job and some people get sick.  $hit happens to the best of folks.... Happened to a friend of mine, lets just say it was not good.... He had NO Insurance for catering and it cost him almost everything..  Had some pulled pork that went bad...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

baitshop

No doubt, if you don't know what you are doing in regards to handling product and correct temperature management you can get yourself into to trouble....

I have been in the restaurant business for 40 years and probably assumed too much from someone that may not have any food service experience...

jdelo77

Quote from: jacobp on August 03, 2015, 07:13:13 pm
depends on where you're located.

I'd start with zoning. Most of the time you'll be approved for using your home for a catering business but i'd start there.

Then you'll want to check rules and regs regarding the actual kitchen. For some home based food operations, you're not actually allowed to use the main kitchen in the home. You'd have to have a separate kitchen.

There's licensing, fire codes, tax structure, etc.

In all honestly, if I were you I'd spread the word among family and friends and try to get several gigs that way. Then decide if you actually want to start a legit, official business or just do some gigs on the side for some easy cash.

My friends and family are the main reason why I want to start this ....our idea is to have a large get together with family and friends , to figure out an actual menu , that way we know what to serve ...

PharmacistHog

I just have to wonder if you might turn something you LOVE to do into something you HAVE to do and eventually something you HATE to do.

I love to cook bbq. Its very therapeutic and a great hobby. I can't imagine losing my passion because I get sick of doing it. Good luck with whatever you decide but please do all your homework. I would hate for you to lose a lot of time and money over some little detail that you missed. Theres a thread on the bbq brethren forum that starts something like " start a bbq business they said, it will be fun they said...."  I would check out that thread. Maybe give some insight and some stuff you havent thought about? 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

jdelo77

I've done a lot of research in the last few days , I'm getting to old to do the job in currently doing and I've never wanted to actually do anything else other than cook BBQ , I would like to just start out on the weekends and see where it goes , if it fails I'll go back to cooking for friends and family but , if I can make it work maybe I can chase my dream..

jacobp

Quote from: baitshop on August 03, 2015, 08:31:19 pm

its why I suggested maybe taking some weekend gigs for extra money instead of trying to open a full fledged catering biz. More than likely you could do everything you mentioned and not get busted at all. But the minute you get reported or the health department catches wind you're looking at citations, fines, etc.

If it were me I would do just like you did.

jdelo77

Has anyone done this in Arkansas ? If so were you able to do it out of your home or did the health dept require that you work out of a commercial kitchen

baitshop

August 04, 2015, 07:18:39 pm #11 Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:16:26 pm by baitshop
What the health department don't  know won't hurt them....

Once the city, county, state get involved you will have a $50k investment...

Do a little research and get aquainted with some food safety rules i.e. cook temps, hold temps, proper way to transfer the food etc. and you'll  be fine...

It ain't  brain surgery...hail, I can do it, it can't be that hard.

oldman1015

be sure and let your insurance company know if you have a homeowner policy. they will need to add a business endorsement to your policy. if you don't your homeowner policy may not pay.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

DeltaBoy

Good Luck I got into cooking for groups about 10 years ago but it has been all Volunteer.  Our AG dept made us a 32 x 52 rectangular grill that uses 3-4 bags of Kingford or Royal Oak.  It is  Hot and fast and we regulate the temp by adjusting how thick we layer the coals.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Grizzlyfan

In this day and age you would be crazy to do something like this without hefty liability insurance and you aren't going to get any meaningful liability insurance if you don't follow the health department regulations.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 06, 2015, 02:04:34 pm
In this day and age you would be crazy to do something like this without hefty liability insurance and you aren't going to get any meaningful liability insurance if you don't follow the health department regulations.

Sad put true.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DDD

The risk is not worth the reward. If you really want to do this please call your Health Dept. and talk with them to get you set up the correct way. I am a member of a BBQ competition team that could cook every day for people. But I choose not to because I have worked to hard for the things I have to get taken away by one mistake.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DDD on August 07, 2015, 08:15:41 pm
The risk is not worth the reward. If you really want to do this please call your Health Dept. and talk with them to get you set up the correct way. I am a member of a BBQ competition team that could cook every day for people. But I choose not to because I have worked to hard for the things I have to get taken away by one mistake.
There's some wisdom here.

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Old Tusk

A couple things. There is much more to a catering than cooking.

You  probably won't get caught, but if you do it will not just be the health dept. The sales tax and income tax guys will be at your door. And they talk about jail time.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

LSUFan

I'm still waiting on a sample pack.  8)

PorkRinds

Quote from: LSUFan on August 10, 2015, 04:16:49 pm
I'm still waiting on a sample pack.  8)

I hear he makes an epic corn dog.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

baitshop

DeltaBoy

Yep it not as cheap of a venture anymore.

husker71

I was always thinking of putting a small bbq business in front of my business on Saturdays and maybe a couple of other days.  I am zoned commercial so no problem there.  I am not a good bbqer BUT I thought why not find somebody and give them a free room and then split the profits.   We had a town function earlier this year and the VFW guys were selling hot dogs.  Just from the water to the bun to the customer.  Here came the health inspector and shut them down for a time until they could have separate water supply for washing their hands.  That is when I thought no way am I investing money and time in my project only to have them come around with their clipboards and give me hell.

DeltaBoy

Yep due to a few bad apples over the past 30 years we are living in a Nanny state across this nation. Shoot even kids with Lemonade stands are getting hassled and shut down by the nannies.

majestic

Quote from: husker71 on August 18, 2015, 11:31:41 am
I was always thinking of putting a small bbq business in front of my business on Saturdays and maybe a couple of other days.  I am zoned commercial so no problem there.  I am not a good bbqer BUT I thought why not find somebody and give them a free room and then split the profits.   We had a town function earlier this year and the VFW guys were selling hot dogs.  Just from the water to the bun to the customer.  Here came the health inspector and shut them down for a time until they could have separate water supply for washing their hands.  That is when I thought no way am I investing money and time in my project only to have them come around with their clipboards and give me hell.
They were washing their hands in the hot dog water?  Gross.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

jdelo77

I'm trying to set something up on 9/26 ( for BBB ) a buddy of mine owns a bar and he will let me set up there for the day , he has it set up as a stop on a poker run and we are just going to keep it simple and sell pulled pork sliders and some slaw for $5 bucks a plate ...

DeltaBoy

husker71

there was a mens restroom maybe 20 feet from the site but still had to have 3 bowls of water   #1  I guess to just rinse hands #2 to use with soap and water #3 to rinse again    I have eaten lots of food from sidewalk vendors from Tijuana to small towns in Philippines and Thailand    TJ had hot dogs wrapped in bacon (great) and I think in the Philippines I just ate Dog that was cooked (not sure)   I have yet to get sick but have gotten food poisoning 2 times    both times buffets

BR

Quote from: husker71 on August 18, 2015, 11:31:41 am
At our Shrine Center Ice Cream Social... The St. Joseph Food Inspector always shows up every year... Same thing, Water supply, Food Temps, (we were serving Ice Cream out of the Swans truck in Cartons) anything they can find.... 
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BR on August 25, 2015, 07:46:33 am
  At our Shrine Center Ice Cream Social... The St. Joseph Food Inspector always shows up every year... Same thing, Water supply, Food Temps, (we were serving Ice Cream out of the Swans truck in Cartons) anything they can find.... 

Yep so Food inspectors are just hunting for something to ruin your fun.

majestic

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 27, 2015, 08:14:53 am
Yep so Food inspectors are just hunting for something to ruin your fun.
Come down with a case of food poisoning and let me know how much fun you have.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

PharmacistHog

Quote from: majestic on August 27, 2015, 09:26:52 am

A nice case of salmonella is underrated. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on August 27, 2015, 11:01:28 am
A nice case of salmonella is underrated.

IT's what they call the dirty kitchen diet.  You can lose tons of weight.

LSUFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 27, 2015, 11:23:36 am
IT's what they call the dirty kitchen diet.  You can lose tons of weight.
I heard it will clean out your colon.

PorkRinds

Quote from: LSUFan on August 27, 2015, 03:19:09 pm
I heard it will clean out your colon.

Yep.  Easy peasy colon cleanse too.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: majestic on August 27, 2015, 09:26:52 am

The sickest I ever been was from a can of store bought Wolf Brand Turkey Chili we got 17 years ago cause my kid was just 3 months old and it had just come out as a new product.  We had Ball Park Franks , Mrs Bairds Buns and Wolf Brand Turkey Chili and we threw up for 24 + hours and had the runnies for another 24 and finally the afternoon of the 3rd day we were able to eat  saltines and 7 up.  But according what I was taught in professional food service training we had to take at St Vincent I should have died before my 12th birthday cause how Grandma and Momma did it was completely wrong according to them.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 01, 2015, 12:57:31 pm
The sickest I ever been was from a can of store bought Wolf Brand Turkey Chili we got 17 years ago cause my kid was just 3 months old and it had just come out as a new product.  We had Ball Park Franks , Mrs Bairds Buns and Wolf Brand Turkey Chili and we threw up for 24 + hours and had the runnies for another 24 and finally the afternoon of the 3rd day we were able to eat  saltines and 7 up.  But according what I was taught in professional food service training we had to take at St Vincent I should have died before my 12th birthday cause how Grandma and Momma did it was completely wrong according to them.
was there something that made you think it was the chili and not the hot dogs?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on September 01, 2015, 01:15:25 pm
was there something that made you think it was the chili and not the hot dogs?

My wife did not eat any hot dogs and we mashed up some and feed the baby and the baby did not get sick. 

I never had a issue with any hot dogs since we boil them in salted water or bake them in the oven.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 01, 2015, 01:17:57 pm
My wife did not eat any hot dogs and we mashed up some and feed the baby and the baby did not get sick. 

I never had a issue with any hot dogs since we boil them in salted water or bake them in the oven.
I'll never forget my first year in college eating nachos with pickled jalapenos.  That jar of jalapenos had probably been sitting on the counter of that concession stand for two or three seasons.  I've never been that sick.  It took YEARS before I could look at a jalapeno pepper again.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on September 02, 2015, 11:08:18 am
I'll never forget my first year in college eating nachos with pickled jalapenos.  That jar of jalapenos had probably been sitting on the counter of that concession stand for two or three seasons.  I've never been that sick.  It took YEARS before I could look at a jalapeno pepper again.

OUCH!  I know the feeling I will never try store bought turkey chili again. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 04, 2015, 10:53:04 am
OUCH!  I know the feeling I will never try store bought turkey chili again.

I spent the entire Christmas and New Year holiday of 89-90 sick as hell from a frozen beef & bean burrito cooked in the microwave. The Cotton Bowl didn't help none either.

Have never eaten another one. Just the beef & bean ones.
This is my non-signature signature.

DeltaBoy

It just way more regulations in our lives today.    I glad I only been sick from eating at home 2 times and out 2 times in the past 49 years.

LSUFan