Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What did you grill/Smoke this week???

Started by BR, July 15, 2012, 08:42:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

old hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 22, 2013, 03:17:23 pm
It call Famous Dave's Butt Rub and I got it at my Krogers Store here in TX.

http://www.famousbbqstore.com/10756.html

Picked up some last week, good stuff. Tried it on some pork chops, really good on them.

Boog41

Yesterday didn't turn out the way I planned. Only had time to run to Dime's and grabbed some of their big all beef dogs. They did not carry the Dave's rub, so I am still looking.

old hog

Quote from: Boog41 on January 27, 2013, 10:46:00 am
Yesterday didn't turn out the way I planned. Only had time to run to Dime's and grabbed some of their big all beef dogs. They did not carry the Dave's rub, so I am still looking.
Carry it at Kroger/Walmart

Boog41

DeltaBoy

This Saturday evening we had Turkey sausage, chicken tenders, and center cut pork chops. Mr. Weber and some peacan wood on the royal oak gave a nice color and flavor with the FDBR and the Old Bay I used on the pork chops.  Good eating !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

old hog

Gonna try out some Famous Dave's Rib Rub this weekend on some pork and chicken wings.

DeltaBoy

We are having a Brisket cookout at my Church with No Sunday Night service this weekend.  I will be helping cook Saturday and will be taking a NAP before the game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Boog41

Guys, I have never smoked pork to make "pulled pork". I may give it a try this weekend. What part is best for this?? Shoulder? Butt?

Old Hog, how did you like the Dave's rub??

DeltaBoy

Everyone I know that Q's used the Shoulder.

Boog41

RazorWild

Hey Y'all.  Stumbled upon this thread.  What y'all got grilling/smokin for Superbowl Sunday.  I'm hopin to replicate these ribs I did a few months back 3-1-1 method.  Maybe some ABTs as well. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: RazorWild on January 31, 2013, 05:44:13 pm
Hey Y'all.  Stumbled upon this thread.  What y'all got grilling/smokin for Superbowl Sunday.  I'm hopin to replicate these ribs I did a few months back 3-1-1 method.  Maybe some ABTs as well. 

SWEET!

Boog41

February 01, 2013, 09:05:48 am #163 Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:24:24 am by Boog41
Looks like I'm for sure gonna be smoking a big pork shoulder on the BGE this weekend. I'm wanting a rub with sugar in it for caramelizing like they do in Kansas City.....sweet in other words.... I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on how mixing sugar with Dave's might work out?

old hog

Quote from: Boog41 on January 31, 2013, 03:37:52 pm

Old Hog, how did you like the Dave's rub??

Love it. Has a sweetness with a small bite to it. GREAT on pork, have not tried it on beef. Even tried it on an omelet and turned out great. Don't think I would try mixing sugar with it, as it definitely has some sweetness to it already.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boog41 on February 01, 2013, 09:05:48 am
Looks like I'm for sure gonna be smoking a big pork shoulder on the BGE this weekend. I'm wanting a rub with sugar in it for caramelizing like they do in Kansas City.....sweet in other words.... I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on how mixing sugar with Dave's might work out?

Brown Sugar and Daves should be great.

old hog

Just picked up 5 ibs of large shrimp, crab legs, stuffed mushrooms, chicken wings, case of Landshark and some Milagro Tequila. Going to use BR's blackberry sauce on half and Famous Daves Rib Rub on the other half of the chicken wings, and steam the shrimp and crab legs. Not sure exactly how I'm gonna do the wings yet, whether to fry them up then glaze them or just smoke em and glaze em.  Ready for the Game.

kkbrody

Did a pork butt for the game. Injected it with apple juice, and let it sit over night. Made the basic BBQ rub from Myron's book. Turned out real good.

jdelo77

8 pound pork shoulder ( made sliders with it !!)
3 slabs of baby back ribs

DeltaBoy

We did 12 pork shoulders and 14 briskets for a all church youth fund raises auction and dinner. I took a 3 hour nap this afternoon.

DeltaBoy

Tim Harris

I asked my wife this morning what she wanted for dinner.  Her choice was steak......Really.....you couldn't pick something that can be cooked on the stove top.  Looks like I will be out in the snow and ice grilling some steaks tonight.

Lanny

Al Bundy

old hog

Didn't grill last night, took some chicken breasts, cut them into bite size pieces, wrapped them in maple bacon, covered them in brown sugar and Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning and then baked them in oven. Turned out great.

Iamphatman

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 21, 2013, 08:28:07 am
I asked my wife this morning what she wanted for dinner.  Her choice was steak......Really.....you couldn't pick something that can be cooked on the stove top.  Looks like I will be out in the snow and ice grilling some steaks tonight.

There are ways to cook a REALLY good steak on the stove.  My wife handles the indoor steak cooking, and it's as good as my grilled.  Different, but good.  More like the fancy steak houses.  None of them grill. 

DeltaBoy

I Flat Iron my steaks some times in the Stove I get the oven up to 500 and when the lard starts to very smoke I pull out the cast iron skillet and put the steaks in.  3 minutes a side for me and 5 for the wife and I have great steaks using just salt and pepper. Key is letting the steaks get up to room temp which I do even for the Weber.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Iamphatman on February 22, 2013, 11:33:25 am
There are ways to cook a REALLY good steak on the stove.  My wife handles the indoor steak cooking, and it's as good as my grilled.  Different, but good.  More like the fancy steak houses.  None of them grill. 

Yeah I can do a decent steak with the cast iron skillet and the stove but it just isn't the same as what you get with charcoal.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 22, 2013, 12:10:48 pm
Yeah I can do a decent steak with the cast iron skillet and the stove but it just isn't the same as what you get with charcoal.

Charcoal adds that little something for sure Tim.

old hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 22, 2013, 11:58:03 am
I Flat Iron my steaks some times in the Stove I get the oven up to 500 and when the lard starts to very smoke I pull out the cast iron skillet and put the steaks in.  3 minutes a side for me and 5 for the wife and I have great steaks using just salt and pepper. Key is letting the steaks get up to room temp which I do even for the Weber.

Hey Delta and Tim, when you pull out that skillet, throw in a couple cloves of garlic and roll them around in the hot oil for a bit, take them out and then throw the steaks in. Don't let the garlic burn, though. It infuses the oil with the garlic and adds that extra flavor.

Iamphatman

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 22, 2013, 12:10:48 pm

It's true.  I love a good grilled steak.  But when it's freezing outside with snow and ice, I don't mind letting the wife go the screaming hot cast iron route.  Gets a nice even crust on the outside of the meat that is actually quite tasty, especially if it's saving my toes from a bit of frostbite!!!

Boarcephus

FM sale on lobster tails for $6 ends today so we slipped up and bought a bunch of them.  Lunch tomorrow will be lobster tails on the egg and baked potatoes.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

bigstyx

Who's selling lobster tails for $6 Boar???

Boarcephus

Quote from: bigstyx on February 23, 2013, 02:57:17 pm
Who's selling lobster tails for $6 Boar???

Fresh Market in Rogers.  Cold water tails, 5-6 oz each, great flavor and beats the hell out of what we got at Sam's from a flavor standpoint and approx. the same price.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

bigstyx

Wow, Haven't been there yet. New store in Pinnacle right? Haven't done lobster on my egg yet, but today sounds like a great day for it.

Broke out some roasted Hatch chiles that I had frozen and made a nice pot of white chicken chili for lunch. Looks like its shaping up to be a good eating day...

Boarcephus

Quote from: bigstyx on February 23, 2013, 03:10:41 pm
Wow, Haven't been there yet. New store in Pinnacle right? Haven't done lobster on my egg yet, but today sounds like a great day for it.

Broke out some roasted Hatch chiles that I had frozen and made a nice pot of white chicken chili for lunch. Looks like its shaping up to be a good eating day...

That's the only way we eat them anymore. Split the tails in half, baste them in a butter/garlic mixture and cook them meat side down at 300 or so, flip them once or twice and dig in.  BTW, today is the last day they are on sale for $6. 

jdelo77

not really grilled or smoked but , I am frying up 2 bags of crappie fillets tonight for my mom and sister ( just got in from New York ) along with okra and slaw...

old hog

Quote from: jdelow77 on February 24, 2013, 02:42:30 pm
not really grilled or smoked but , I am frying up 2 bags of crappie fillets tonight for my mom and sister ( just got in from New York ) along with okra and slaw...
That is some good eating, there.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: jdelow77 on February 24, 2013, 02:42:30 pm

Sounds good.  I have been so swamped with work and family that the Grill has not be fired up since I cleaned it in Mid Jan.

Iamphatman

I smoked a tri-tip this weekend.  Treated it almost like a brisket, with a serious rub that had LOTS of fresh cracked black pepper.  Then cut it thin on a meat slicer and made pit beef sandwiches with horseradish sauce and some sliced onion.  Really good. 

82abn Ard

How do you do your Tri Tip?  (If you don't mind) I'm pretty good at ribs, butts, brisket, and chicken, but the only time I have done Tri Tip it was worse than terrible and haven't done it since.

Iamphatman

Quote from: 82abn Ard on February 26, 2013, 04:11:22 pm
How do you do your Tri Tip?  (If you don't mind) I'm pretty good at ribs, butts, brisket, and chicken, but the only time I have done Tri Tip it was worse than terrible and haven't done it since.

I usually make up a rub with lots of black pepper, salt, garlic powder, thyme, and rosemary. Ill cut some garlic cloves in half and rub it all over the meat and then apply the rub. Wrap in plastic wrap in fridge over night and let come to room temp the next day before smoking.

Smoke it at 225 until it reaches 130-140 degrees, depending on how well done you want it. I suggest no higher than 135. Remove it, cover it with foil and let it rest for 30 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain to serve. Against the grain is key or it will be tougher than shoe leather.

bigstyx

Who's braving the cold and smoking something special this weekend? I'll probably doing a couple a chickens with mesquite chunks on the egg, but that doesn't really qualify as special...With the cold and wind it's hard to keep a decent temperature for anything that would take much longer.

Lanny

Baby Back ribs and pork chops this evening.  Rain is the only weather that stops me from smoking

Al Bundy

Tim Harris

I'm planning to smoke a couple pork butts next weekend. My supply is running low and I've got a couple new rubs to try.

bigstyx

I love smoking a couple of Boston Butt's, pulling the pork, and then dividing it into quart freezer bags. You can go a couple of months knowing you have as good or better smoked meat than you'll get in most BBQ joints, ready at a moment's notice. Have good smoke guys...

DeltaBoy

It sounding good. The Wind been a PIA down here in DFW .

GreenwayTigerHog

Deer hams & Sam's filets marinated in Dales and seasoned with Strawberry's Steak seasoning on the Weber. 

DeltaBoy

Uncovered the Weber for Spring Break and grilled chicken and pork chops along with grilled onions and veal peppers

pig pickin

Texas style beef ribs with homemade BBQ sauce on the primo smoked with oak chips. Highly recommended!

HuntinHog

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 21, 2013, 08:28:07 am

Gonna reach back a month here, Props Man.  Hopefully this was one of the situations that made it extra clear to you that you picked right.