Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boo Hoo! A team with four first rounders got hot against us

Started by HawgTrough, February 21, 2018, 08:31:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgTrough

All of the sudden we suck again and are gonna lose out. Crybabies.
WPS

The_Iceman

So, I guess we will lose to Kentucky every year then. And LSU twice again next year. And probably Florida too. Mississippi State will be a loss again next year as well.

Kevin

hog basketball is just like the department of education, just keep dumbing down the product
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

MountieDawg

February 21, 2018, 08:35:22 am #3 Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 04:11:16 pm by MountieDawg
Quote from: HawgTrough on February 21, 2018, 08:31:42 am
All of the sudden we suck again and are gonna lose out. Crybabies.

If you think this years Kentucky team has four 1st rounders do you think KFC makes the best chicken???
SEC!

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2018, 08:33:47 am
So, I guess we will lose to Kentucky every year then. And LSU twice again next year. And probably Florida too. Mississippi State will be a loss again next year as well.

Huh?
WPS

hogsanity

Amazing how many times every season we hear this same type of excuse " Oh man how unlucky Hogs just ran into a team that could not miss tonight " " unreal how they shot way above their season average " " they couldn't miss "

Yea, teams are going to shoot well when they get a couple dozen layup/dunk/4 footers and wide open 3's.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PharmacistHog

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 21, 2018, 08:35:22 am
If you think this years Kentucky team has for 1st rounders do you think KFC makes the best chicken???

I'm guessing that sounded WAY funnier in your head.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Capt. Hamm

Our bench only scored 6 points! They had over 30 points from their bench.

HawgTrough

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2018, 08:33:47 am

We're gonna lose some games. Hopefully win some too. Just keep downplaying wins while dwelling on the losses. It's a good look for you
WPS

farfromgroovins

Quote from: hogsanity on February 21, 2018, 08:37:53 am
Amazing how many times every season we hear this same type of excuse " Oh man how unlucky Hogs just ran into a team that could not miss tonight " " unreal how they shot way above their season average " " they couldn't miss "

Yea, teams are going to shoot well when they get a couple dozen layup/dunk/4 footers and wide open 3's.

SHUSH!
That is the 40 minutes of H - E - double hockey sticks you are referring to!
Show some respect!

HawgTrough

Quote from: hogsanity on February 21, 2018, 08:37:53 am

Aggressive, turnover seeking defense tends to yield open looks when the pressure fails. Watch a WVU game. It's a product of the system
WPS

Cotton

Quote from: Capt. Hamm on February 21, 2018, 08:40:03 am
Our bench only scored 6 points! They had over 30 points from their bench.
Shhhh you're killing his narrative!!
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hogsanity

Quote from: HawgTrough on February 21, 2018, 08:44:31 am
Aggressive, turnover seeking defense tends to yield open looks when the pressure fails. Watch a WVU game. It's a product of the system

Exactly, and that is the problem. When you are playing a team that does not shoot very well, like KY, but does rebound well, you do not do things that give them open look, easy baskets, and easy rebounds.

Even just a good coach would have seen what they did at WVU and adjusted accordingly. That of course assumes the coach is capable of actually making changes, which Mike is not.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pinto

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 21, 2018, 08:35:22 am
If you think this years Kentucky team has for 1st rounders do you think KFC makes the best chicken???

Well i guess KFC does have the best chicken because Knox, Vanderbilt, Hami, and SGA are all first rounders. Richards is hovering around the 1st round as well.

The_Iceman

OkieBack

Quote from: Pinto on February 21, 2018, 08:55:43 am
Well i guess KFC does have the best chicken because Knox, Vanderbilt, Hami, and SGA are all first rounders. Richards is hovering around the 1st round as well.

I loves me some KFC!!!

Pinto

Quote from: OkieBack on February 21, 2018, 09:07:31 am
I loves me some KFC!!!

Haha! I used to until they started getting stingy with the size of the chicken!!!

HawgTrough

Quote from: hogsanity on February 21, 2018, 08:47:54 am
Exactly, and that is the problem. When you are playing a team that does not shoot very well, like KY, but does rebound well, you do not do things that give them open look, easy baskets, and easy rebounds.

Even just a good coach would have seen what they did at WVU and adjusted accordingly. That of course assumes the coach is capable of actually making changes, which Mike is not.

I agree. But we're not very good at just sitting back and playing fundamental defense. They're not built that way. Disruption before the offense gets set is our best strategy.

And trust me, I understand the frustration of what happens after the offense sets up. 3 to 4 passes without a tipped ball and someone is wide open.
WPS

HawgTrough

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2018, 09:03:11 am
Apparently, it's ok to lose when we play bad defense against NBA 1st rounders and lose.

ARK will lose again. Prepare yourself. Keep the tissue handy
WPS

Knot2brite

Now I am not devestated by the loss last night but some folks attitude around here is that it is ok to lose to team X because they have better talent than us. Well, those freshmen were pretty good but at some point Arkansas has to start beating the Kentucky, North Carolina's of the NCAA world if we want to get past the first weekend. I personally would like to see us go past the second weekend but baby steps. I have saidnit before that sweet 16 is the limit for this staff and I am begging and hoping that they will prove me wrong. If we can't beat the big time teams some of the time then we have no hope for winning a championship
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

MDGoHawgs

A 2017 NCAA tournament lineup with three starting seniors should not lose at home by 15 points....to anyone! Let alone a down Kentucky team. I couldn't believe how MA didn't make any in-game adjustments when it was completely obvious that the press wasn't working and led to easy dunks. Very disappointing.

bhogs05

Quote from: HawgTrough on February 21, 2018, 08:44:31 am

That aggressive turnover seeking defense forced a whopping 11 turnovers last night. It did however give up I don't know how many wide open 3s and dunks which were converted at a very high percentage for Kentucky. 

Pinto

Quote from: MDGoHawgs on February 21, 2018, 09:31:46 am
A 2017 NCAA tournament lineup with three starting seniors should not lose at home by 15 points....to anyone! Let alone a down Kentucky team. I couldn't believe how MA didn't make any in-game adjustments when it was completely obvious that the press wasn't working and led to easy dunks. Very disappointing.

When all three of those starting seniors wouldn't start for the opposing team, the results aren't usually in our favor

redleg

I won't be surprised if the Hogs don't win another game.
What gives anyone reason to believe that this team can win on the road at Alabama and Mizzou, or beat an Auburn team in Fayetteville that's better than Kentucky this year? Or even win a game in the SEC Tourney?
Hunter Yurachek is not Anderson's homeboy. Yurachek should tell Mike, "Do this, or you're gone", and he probably will.
This big question is...who do we get to replace Anderson?
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: HawgTrough on February 21, 2018, 09:17:21 am
ARK will lose again. Prepare yourself. Keep the tissue handy
It's never just whatever to lose at home, but I think his main sentiment is that we lost to a better team that played really well. As many on here have pointed out, we got into a track meet with a team that had superior athletes and started hitting their open jumpers. That was a recipe for failure. What I was more disappointed in was the offense. The track meet in the second half was the same garbage stalling offense that we've seen sporadically from this team throughout the year. This team, as good as they are at offense, likes to disappear for long periods of time. In those 6 minutes, it was over. We panicked, just like we did against A&M, and by the time we calmed down, it was over.
But yes, we will lose again, but we're obviously not going to lose them all, and have like an 80% chance at making the tourney.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

HawgTrough

Quote from: Knot2brite on February 21, 2018, 09:23:30 am
Now I am not devestated by the loss last night but some folks attitude around here is that it is ok to lose to team X because they have better talent than us. Well, those freshmen were pretty good but at some point Arkansas has to start beating the Kentucky, North Carolina's of the NCAA world if we want to get past the first weekend. I personally would like to see us go past the second weekend but baby steps. I have saidnit before that sweet 16 is the limit for this staff and I am begging and hoping that they will prove me wrong. If we can't beat the big time teams some of the time then we have no hope for winning a championship

It is "ok" to lose some games. Everybody does it. Kentucky is absolutely loaded with talent, but they are young. You're gonna see a different team, night to night.

WPS

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: redleg on February 21, 2018, 09:46:33 am
What gives anyone reason to believe that this team can win on the road at Alabama and Mizzou, or beat an Auburn team in Fayetteville that's better than Kentucky this year? Or even win a game in the SEC Tourney?
Hunter Yurachek is not Anderson's homeboy. Yurachek should tell Mike, "Do this, or you're gone", and he probably will.
um. Have you watched this team this year? We're actually pretty good, just wildly inconsistent. If we lose the rest of our games this year, I'll eat crow. It's not going to happen, because that's not how this team operates. We may beat one of the last 3 teams by 30 and lose the other 2 by 20.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

lumphog

HawgTrough

Quote from: redleg on February 21, 2018, 09:46:33 am
So you wouldn't be surprised if ARK didn't win another game? Lol. I mean it's possible, but to say it wouldn't be surprising seems silly
WPS

Pigasaurus

Out bigged, out benched and out schemed. It's pretty simple. Reminded me of Bama football game in 2010. Second half Saban unleashed the hounds on Mallett and we couldn't/didn't adjust.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

razorback1829

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 21, 2018, 09:49:39 am
um. Have you watched this team this year? We're actually pretty good, just wildly inconsistent. If we lose the rest of our games this year, I'll eat crow. It's not going to happen, because that's not how this team operates. We may beat one of the last 3 teams by 30 and lose the other 2 by 20.

Who has been consistent in college basketball year 2018? lol everybody has loses.

hulk hog

Quote from: Pinto on February 21, 2018, 08:55:43 am
Easy now. It's Popeyes hands down.

What do you mean McDonalds All-Americans get first round projections?  I seem to remember when we could recruit those. I think Col Sanders hair hadn't turned white yet.
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

redleg

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 21, 2018, 09:49:39 am
Inconsistent is RIGHT! But they cannot win on the road against a good team. They might still get to 20 wins, but it's still very much a disappointing season as it sits right now. This team was suppose to light up the SEC this year. They have not really done that. Next season doesn't look like it will even be as good as this disappointing team. They will have zero height in the paint.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Pinto

Quote from: hulk hog on February 21, 2018, 09:55:31 am
Easy now. It's Popeyes hands down.

What do you mean McDonalds All-Americans get first round projections?  I seem to remember when we could recruit those. I think Col Sanders hair hadn't turned white yet.

Times have clearly changed.

hogfan98

Spare me the "we were supposed to lose" nonsense.  We were 5 point home favorites.  We were supposed to win.  Instead we lost to an average Kentucky team that beat us on open jump shots and dunks. 

Atlhogfan1

Looking back over the course of the season so far, here are the surprise results IMO over the 28 games:

@Houston - margin of loss, good team so losing not a surprise, dead gym where we had no energy

LSU - margin of loss at home

If you want to be generous:

OU - we were 2pt underdogs and won by 9 over what was at the time a very good team

Texas A&M - margin of victory in BWA

Nothing else stands out now that we know who we are and what other teams are. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DeltaBoy

Suck it up butter cup . It one loss to a loaded team.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgTrough

Quote from: redleg on February 21, 2018, 09:59:10 am
Inconsistent is RIGHT! But they cannot win on the road against a good team. They might still get to 20 wins, but it's still very much a disappointing season as it sits right now. This team was suppose to light up the SEC this year. They have not really done that. Next season doesn't look like it will even be as good as this disappointing team. They will have zero height in the paint.
who said they were gonna light up the SEC this year? Hogville?

WPS

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 21, 2018, 10:05:02 am

was that also the reason they lost to LSU, TWICE? Or MSU? Or Aub? Or Houston? Or FLA? A&M? I guess all those teams are loaded too.

code red

Agreed.  Some have adopted Mikes oh well attitude.  On to baseball.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 21, 2018, 10:05:02 am
Up 11 and get outscored 26 the rest of the game?  Shooting to early in the shot clock?  Gafford would have fouled all those post players out if he would get a touch every position.  Lets be honest.  Who is going to the NBA on this Hog team?  1 guy Gafford.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Breems

They didn't get hot. Shot layups and dunks. When we tried compensating, they started hitting their open 3s as well.

Their length and drive ability works well against up-tempo teams. They struggle against teams that pack it in defensively AND somewhat defend the perimeter. I thought it was a good matchup because they don't shoot well from the perimeter, but that was way oversimplifying things.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

cityhog

Worst team KY has had in probably 15 years and we can't scratch out a win at home against them. SMDH.

elksnort

Quote from: hogsanity on February 21, 2018, 08:47:54 am

Without starting a thread about it, I have a serious basketball question.

Is CMA unwilling, unable or some combination of both in regards to adjusting defensive strategy and styles when needed?

If Kentucky is the type of team where you'd be better off packed in playing zone, then why not do it? Let's stick with defense with this question. No need to go into player minutes and rotation, etc.

I am fairly sure that CMA knows the game of basketball. His winning percentage shows he's a good coach. BUT,
is why not stop the pressing, switching and trapping when it yields easy points for the opponent?

Unwilling or unable?

hogsanity

Quote from: elksnort on February 21, 2018, 10:53:13 am
Without starting a thread about it, I have a serious basketball question.

Is CMA unwilling, unable or some combination of both in regards to adjusting defensive strategy and styles when needed?

If Kentucky is the type of team where you'd be better off packed in playing zone, then why not do it? Let's stick with defense with this question. No need to go into player minutes and rotation, etc.

I am fairly sure that CMA knows the game of basketball. His winning percentage shows he's a good coach. BUT,
is why not stop the pressing, switching and trapping when it yields easy points for the opponent?

Unwilling or unable?

Imo, it is mainly ego, but also lack of some ability. His ego will not allow him to go very long not using what he is known for, which is supposedly tough, pressure defense. It is almost like it is a personal insult or disparaging of him personally if his team has to play zone and not be scrambling/trapping and fouling 80 ft from the basket.

But I also think his lack of desire to coach a slower style of defense has limited his ability to do so when really needed.

elksnort

Quote from: hogsanity on February 21, 2018, 11:13:57 am
Imo, it is mainly ego, but also lack of some ability. His ego will not allow him to go very long not using what he is known for, which is supposedly tough, pressure defense. It is almost like it is a personal insult or disparaging of him personally if his team has to play zone and not be scrambling/trapping and fouling 80 ft from the basket.

But I also think his lack of desire to coach a slower style of defense has limited his ability to do so when really needed.
Why can't folks on this board discuss this topic that we are?
It's not attacking the coach and making things personal. Where are all of the blind followers to answer these questions?

porkinsons disease

Quote from: elksnort on February 21, 2018, 11:19:20 am
Why can't folks on this board discuss this topic that we are?
It's not attacking the coach and making things personal. Where are all of the blind followers to answer these questions?
Crickets........any questions about the style or "system" ends up with name calling (crybabies,haters,etc). When there are no answers for Mike's failures or shortcomings, the personal attacks go out.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

SemperFi

Quote from: Breems on February 21, 2018, 10:35:53 am
They didn't get hot. Shot layups and dunks. When we tried compensating, they started hitting their open 3s as well.

Their length and drive ability works well against up-tempo teams. They struggle against teams that pack it in defensively AND somewhat defend the perimeter. I thought it was a good matchup because they don't shoot well from the perimeter, but that was way oversimplifying things.

A good coach would have seen that, planned for it, practiced it and then executed it in game. If only we had a good coach.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan