Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It’s not just Hog fans...

Started by sickboy, February 18, 2018, 10:26:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sickboy

rljjr

I agree with Bob. If the officials want to make themselves a part of the game they should be open to answering questions about their calls after the game.

luke hawg

The only reason we lost at Mississippi st. was insane free throw discrepency.

Hog_Fink

I also agree with refs protecting blueboods & insane ft discrepancies.. Similar to Patriots vs Jags
but a couple things in common with WV style of play & ours.
more reckless abandon

Arazorbackguy1

Style of play is very similar to Anderson's.  I hope we don't get matched up with WVU in the tourney.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Hog_Fink

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on February 18, 2018, 11:00:37 am
Style of play is very similar to Anderson's.  I hope we don't get matched up with WVU in the tourney.

they're dangerous. would love to see them play Virginia in the East sweet 16

forrest city joe

But But when Miss.State shot 40 FT to Arkansas 12,and still won by only 3 point's ,all was good with the refs the haters on here said.the refs sucked in that game.and they sucked in the W.VA/Kansas game.

forrest city joe

Quote from: galactivation on February 18, 2018, 10:55:34 am
I also agree with refs protecting blueboods & insane ft discrepancies.. Similar to Patriots vs Jags
but a couple things in common with WV style of play & ours.
more reckless abandon
Does Arkansas VS UNC in the NCAA last year not ring a bell?refs gave UNC that game.

Hog_Fink

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 18, 2018, 01:04:11 pm
Does Arkansas VS UNC in the NCAA last year not ring a bell?refs gave UNC that game.
I agree.
refs protect blueboods & definitely think ratings come into play.

Smalltownhog95

Refs in football and basketball have a ridiculous amount of influence in todays game. The old cliche play well enough that the refs can't decide the game is hard to do when you take on juggernauts who pull the best recruits and get some well timed calls.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

jgphillips3

West Virginia got jobbed.  Kudos to him for taking the fine and speaking the truth.

tennesseehogwild

Shooting 2 FT's compared to 35(?) for the other team.....That stat usually says it all. Sad!

alohawg

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on February 18, 2018, 03:11:21 pm
Shooting 2 FT's compared to 35(?) for the other team.....That stat usually says it all. Sad!

35-2??? That is beyond ridiculous.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

rude1

Wish CMA would speak out like this. It's a disgrace to the game when you see officiating like this.Unless someone wants to believe there is a basketball game played where one team honestly shoots 35 free throws to the oppositions 2, or 40 to 12. That only happens when officials are watching one team when they are on the defensive end.

forrest city joe

40 FT to 12/and Miss.State still won by just 3 points. i am still pissed about that screw job.so i know how Huggins and W.VA feel.

raz1965

Is it possible that some officials have a agenda against a certain style of play, such as Mike an Bob coach? We all know many fans don't believe in there style of basketball. If officials are reprimanded it must be behind the scenes, because you never hear about such things taking place.

sickboy

Quote from: raz1965 on February 18, 2018, 04:08:31 pm
Is it possible that some officials have a agenda against a certain style of play, such as Mike an Bob coach? We all know many fans don't believe in there style of basketball. If officials are reprimanded it must be behind the scenes, because you never hear about such things taking place.

I think referees can have a style of officiating, yes. And that can clash with certain styles of play.

But, I honestly and truthfully believe that certain refs are paid in certain cases. I have no proof, obviously, but college basketball is too corrupt a sport for me to trust the integrity of officiating. You honestly believe a coach who's willing to break the rules to win recruits, isn't willing to do what it takes to get the refs making a few favorable calls?

I'm not saying that WV was robbed because Kansas paid the refs. That's probably just regular ol' bias. But I do believe that there are corrupt officials out there. Hell, there's probably corrupt officials in every sport.

hdturner

No game should have 35 free throws to 2 free throws advantage. The refs favorite the blues blood because of money. Money is root of corruption.

JONAS

Quote from: luke hawg on February 18, 2018, 10:45:00 am
The only reason we lost at Mississippi st. was insane free throw discrepency.

Yep.  I'm still pissed about that one.  They shot 40 to our 12.

rude1

Duke for the longest was bragged about how they made more free throws than their opposition even took. Now did Duke really play that squeaky clean or did officials come into the game knowing this stat?

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: rude1 on February 18, 2018, 05:58:35 pm
Duke for the longest was bragged about how they made more free throws than their opposition even took. Now did Duke really play that squeaky clean or did officials come into the game knowing this stat?

It wasn't from playing squeaky clean

ShadowHawg

Today's refs truly believe they are part of the entertainment value of games. Watch the next game we play and see how many times these jugheads sprint 30 feet while making a charge call, or when they repeatedly point and yell at a player while making a simple out of bounds call.

This mindset lends itself to more calls being made. As a ref, if you don't piss off a coach of a blue blood program you might get to be on national tv more often where you get to show off your mad ref'ing skills.

They should have to field questions from the press at the collegiate levels and above. They are being paid for crying out loud. Time for them to put their big boy panties on.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on February 18, 2018, 06:01:28 pm
It wasn't from playing squeaky clean

Superior players who are tough to guard. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hoghevn

After that game which I watched with my in-laws who are all K-State fans and hate KU; I was online to see what the analysis was and it was this:   

They AVERAGED all the free-throws for the SEASON and had a huge write-up on how everyone in the Big XII is equal in foul & free-throw %'s.  I made the comment, "BUT, if in certain games they call fouls ONLY on one team to make sure they win if the game is close; then when that one team who they wanted to lose is way behind and they make up the discrepancy when it doesn't matter." They can easily justify what their doing in certain games by afterwards ONLY LOOKING AT THE SEASONAL TOTALS.  I HATE THE REFS and truly believe theirs an agenda from a higher level passed down to the refs who are paid accordingly.  Obviously, they're protected by not being able to be openly criticized so they can follow the plan without being publically criticized.
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

Hog_Fink

we need refs to be automated. robot refs or put a lil quantum computer in the ball or something

TNarch

I've had a hard time watching any of the games this year.  Not that the refs are one sided, they are just horrible.  It makes it hard to watch the game when the refs play such a role in setting the tone and flow of the game.

HognitiveDissonance

I think college basketball fans influence the officiating more than any other sport.
Refs are human, and they absolutely are influenced by vocal, partisan crowds. They want to do a good job, but they also want to keep the people 'happy' and off their back.
It's such an intimate atmosphere, the fans are right on top of you, especially at certain arenas.

razorback1829

Quote from: rude1 on February 18, 2018, 03:20:01 pm
Wish CMA would speak out like this. It's a disgrace to the game when you see officiating like this.Unless someone wants to believe there is a basketball game played where one team honestly shoots 35 free throws to the oppositions 2, or 40 to 12. That only happens when officials are watching one team when they are on the defensive end.

I recall after the Florida game in 2014-2015 season when we got some very bad calls down the stretch that played into the loss.. CMA called the official out in the press conference, and it was very vocal about it, much like Frank was.

PonderinHog

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 18, 2018, 10:50:11 pm
I recall after the Florida game in 2014-2015 season when we got some very bad calls down the stretch that played into the loss.. CMA called the official out in the press conference, and it was very vocal about it, much like Frank was.
iirc, Mike wasn't fined for his comments, either.

sigpooie

Let us pray, the fbi was seeing how the refs work for shoe companies too.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

hogsanity

In Big12 play WVU averages 23 pf per game. Sat they go whistled for 26, including several in the final minute when trying to foul. So it is not like they got called for something out of the ordinary. I watched much of this game, and many of their fouls were around the rim, resulting in shooting fouls.

Quote from: TNarch on February 18, 2018, 08:04:56 pm
I've had a hard time watching any of the games this year.  Not that the refs are one sided, they are just horrible.  It makes it hard to watch the game when the refs play such a role in setting the tone and flow of the game.

Go get you a whistle and some gear and start calling, there is a huge shortage of officials right now.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: raz1965 on February 18, 2018, 04:08:31 pm

It's possible that some styles of play just commit more fouls. WVU average 23 PF's per game in Big12 play, they only got whistled for 26 Sat, and that was including fouling down the stretch.

When you guard end to end, when you try to trap and get steals, you are going to commit more fouls than a team that plays half court man or zone, does not trap, and does not go for steals.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 18, 2018, 10:12:50 pm
I think college basketball fans influence the officiating more than any other sport.
Refs are human, and they absolutely are influenced by vocal, partisan crowds. They want to do a good job, but they also want to keep the people 'happy' and off their back.
It's such an intimate atmosphere, the fans are right on top of you, especially at certain arenas.

You do bring up an interesting point. In baseball the umpires are usually way away from the coaches and fans. In football only the head linesman and line judge in a 5 man crew or those 2 and the side judges in a 7 man crew are near the coaches and then only a couple and only one coach. But in basketball the coaches are right there bitching and whining all night about every freaking thing. Yap yap yap yap like a chihuahua.

Hog_Fink

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2018, 09:50:36 am
It's possible that some styles of play just commit more fouls. WVU average 23 PF's per game in Big12 play, they only got whistled for 26 Sat, and that was including fouling down the stretch.

When you guard end to end, when you try to trap and get steals, you are going to commit more fouls than a team that plays half court man or zone, does not trap, and does not go for steals.

this is past style of play, when free throw discrepancy is that drastic.

I think basketball in general has become tighter called at all levels. It's really hurt pressure based defense, as has all the commercials and stoppage in play. You'd think with the small Ball lineups it would be moving the opposite direction & enable more free flowing, faster play. football certainly has with hunhn