Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gafford proved why he's a first rounder

Started by checkraiser88, February 13, 2018, 08:34:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

Glad the hogs won and I guess the only negative is that he straight up balled in front of the scouts in attendance tonight.

daprospecta

Quote from: checkraiser88 on February 13, 2018, 08:34:43 pm
Glad the hogs won and I guess the only negative is that he straight up balled in front of the scouts in attendance tonight.
I don't think anyone is doubting he CAN go in the first round but I don't think you gamble.  Portis showed the perfect example.

TNhawgfan

There were scouts there tonight? I thought that was a closed gym, players and refs only. Sure looked that way
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Danny J

He did however like the Vandy game Ole miss bigs are not very good. Let's see how he performs against aTm round 2 in BWA on Saturday. He may be a first rounder on potential regardless and if I'm Mike I am still out recruiting a big.

texas tush hog

Quote from: daprospecta on February 13, 2018, 08:35:36 pm
I don't think anyone is doubting he CAN go in the first round but I don't think you gamble.  Portis showed the perfect example.

The NBA scouts will decide, and they will tell Daniel, and he will decide, not us.

Bacon_Bitz

Jim Harris

Quote from: Danny J on February 13, 2018, 08:37:27 pm
He did however like the Vandy game Ole miss bigs are not very good. Let's see how he performs against aTm round 2 in BWA on Saturday. He may be a first rounder on potential regardless and if I'm Mike I am still out recruiting a big.

That's why Andy Kennedy is on his way out. He stopped getting those bruising type bigs that are playing at Texas A&M now. He still has the guards but nothing to bump folks around underneath like he had just a few short years ago. He's a good coach.

Good for Gafford. Darious Hall with 11 rebounds is just unreal considering how little he was playing a few weeks ago. And Gabe O is a breath of fresh air. Freshmen who are "not freshmen anymore," I guess.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

BrooklynRoss

Regardless of if he leaves after this season or the next, everybody wins. We got a lottery pick home-grown guy, he has a successful transition to the NBA, we get more in-state lottery guys. Gafford is an awesome dude who makes our program better no matter what he does.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

rude1

First rounder probably, lottery pick no. That is the question, do you gamble with going just to become a late first round pick, or do you come back develop the skill set and get yourself projected as a lottery or possibly an overall No. 1 pick? I say he comes back and looks to improve his draft status.

texas tush hog

IronMountainHog

But I thought the Monk camp told us that you can't get exposure by NBA scouts in Arkansas?

jst01

He's not ready quite yet. Bet he comes back for at least a year.

lc480

Lottery picks show up every night and are consistent scorers. Gafford is a heck of a player but he is not ready for the physical part of the NBA. Lot of things he needs to work on for sure needs to put on a little more weight and get in the weight room .

(notOM)Rebel123

Plays great against teams with little or no inside presence. Needs another year. But you never know.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hawg Red

Quote from: daprospecta on February 13, 2018, 08:35:36 pm

Portis was projected as a second-round pick after his freshman season. The gamble is coming back when we are already projected in the mid first to college with the next group of elite freshmen who dominate the lottery year in and year out.

Hawg Red

Quote from: rude1 on February 13, 2018, 08:53:36 pm
First rounder probably, lottery pick no. That is the question, do you gamble with going just to become a late first round pick, or do you come back develop the skill set and get yourself projected as a lottery or possibly an overall No. 1 pick? I say he comes back and looks to improve his draft status.

He isn't projected as a late first round pick currently.

rude1

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2018, 09:32:39 pm
He isn't projected as a late first round pick currently.
He is projected below the middle of the first round, call it whatever pleases you.

Hawg Red

Quote from: rude1 on February 13, 2018, 09:35:47 pm
He is projected below the middle of the first round, call it whatever pleases you.

It's called the mid first round and it's a very desirable range. Looking at 2.5 to 3 million dollars/year starting out. He's not a fringe first round prospect.

upperdeck_hawg

The bigger gamble is to come back and have an injury. Only reason he comes back is because he loves being a hog.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

razorback1829

If he's not lottery, he's not going. Pretty much the situation. And it will still be a discussion if he is projected there.. College structure isn't bad for kids.. NBA lifestyle is quite different.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 13, 2018, 09:48:04 pm
If he's not lottery, he's not going. Pretty much the situation. And it will still be a discussion if he is projected there.. College structure isn't bad for kids.. NBA lifestyle is quite different.

College structure pays millions?
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

3of5-2

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 13, 2018, 08:37:18 pm
There were scouts there tonight? I thought that was a closed gym, players and refs only. Sure looked that way
Now that's funny right there.

Jek Tono Porkins

He's certainly shown some brilliance here but in the modern NBA age I have to question if he can go as a first round pick. Big men these days have to shoot from outside as well as be able to punch it in inside. It's a demanding position.

Gafford is certainly dominating college teams without bona fide big men because he can muscle them down as he showed tonight. But I think a first round NBA pick merits being able to compete with the best big men in the league. Can Gafford right now compete against the best big men in the league? I don't think so. The vestiges of the true big men in the NBA are all gonna have 20 pounds on Gafford at least and that's being generous, in addition to having a couple inches on him despite him being 6' 11". The lighter ones that can't compete with the vestiges of big men in the league in the post have to possess the ability to stretch the floor and knock down long shots, including 3's. Gafford has yet to attempt a 3 point shot this year.

A future NBA talent? Probably, yes. A first round pick right now? No. Though recently it seems as if NBA execs are making crazy decisions so I could be wrong. But I don't see it from a logical standpoint.

I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Hawg Red

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 13, 2018, 10:06:45 pm
He's certainly shown some brilliance here but in the modern NBA age I have to question if he can go as a first round pick. Big men these days have to shoot from outside as well as be able to punch it in inside. It's a demanding position.

Gafford is certainly dominating college teams without bona fide big men because he can muscle them down as he showed tonight. But I think a first round NBA pick merits being able to compete with the best big men in the league. Can Gafford right now compete against the best big men in the league? I don't think so. The vestiges of the true big men in the NBA are all gonna have 20 pounds on Gafford at least and that's being generous, in addition to having a couple inches on him despite him being 6' 11". The lighter ones that can't compete with the vestiges of big men in the league in the post have to possess the ability to stretch the floor and knock down long shots, including 3's. Gafford has yet to attempt a 3 point shot this year.

A future NBA talent? Probably, yes. A first round pick right now? No. Though recently it seems as if NBA execs are making crazy decisions so I could be wrong. But I don't see it from a logical standpoint.

Runs the floor well, can switch on defense, exceptional wingspan, protects the rim, insane coordination, makes plays most players can't, has the trappings of a nice jumper — all traits of a modern NBA big man. He's not undersized, either.

yraciv

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2018, 09:31:20 pm
Portis was projected as a second-round pick after his freshman season. The gamble is coming back when we are already projected in the mid first to college with the next group of elite freshmen who dominate the lottery year in and year out.

Next years class appears weak on bigs.  Bol Bol will be a Top 3 pick likely, but after that you have Zion Williamson (unreal athleticism), but Charles Barkley build. Curious to see how he'll play in college. That is really all I see from the HS kids that play in the post. Sure there might be college FR/SO who emerges in that Top 10, but honestly at this point I see no college Fr/So who may go in 2019 better than Gafford.

This year is loaded at the top with posts Carter/Bagley/Ayton/Doncic are all up there for sure.  Then you have Robert Williams who is similar to Gafford, but with one more year of showing it and consistency. I also think Mitchell Robinson and Brandon McCoy would be higher prospects, and there is no question both of them will be entering as well.

I'm biased, but I think the plan should come back for a year ala Portis and Robert Williams.  It worked out well for both of them.

Hawg Red

Quote from: yraciv on February 13, 2018, 10:12:46 pm
Next years class appears weak on bigs.  Bol Bol will be a Top 3 pick likely, but after that you have Zion Williamson (unreal athleticism), but Charles Barkley build. Curious to see how he'll play in college. That is really all I see from the HS kids that play in the post. Sure there might be college FR/SO who emerges in that Top 10, but honestly at this point I see no college Fr/So who may go in 2019 better than Gafford.

This year is loaded at the top with posts Carter/Bagley/Ayton/Doncic are all up there for sure.  Then you have Robert Williams who is similar to Gafford, but with one more year of showing it and consistency. I also think Mitchell Robinson and Brandon McCoy would be higher prospects, and there is no question both of them will be entering as well.

I'm biased, but I think the plan should come back for a year ala Portis and Robert Williams.  It worked out well for both of them.

Portis didn't have a choice but to come back unless he wanted to go in the second round and Robert Williams hasn't improved his draft stock one bit.

golfinpig

If he's drafted it's purely on potential because he's far from ready to compete in the NBA. Depends on how much money wants to gamble on a kid that would spend a year or two riding the pine.

Hawg Red

Quote from: golfinpig on February 13, 2018, 10:26:34 pm
If he's drafted it's purely on potential because he's far from ready to compete in the NBA. Depends on how much money wants to gamble on a kid that would spend a year or two riding the pine.

NBA teams do it every year and have for almost two decades now. Less of a big deal with the rise of the G-League.

hawgmasta

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2018, 10:27:59 pm
NBA teams do it every year and have for almost two decades now. Less of a big deal with the rise of the G-League.

Exactly. And youth is considered a plus in the NBA. They would rather take a freshman with athleticism and potential than a 3-4 year starter which they know exactly what they're getting.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2018, 09:31:20 pm

NM
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

elksnort

STOP. No

Sorry, meant post before.

elksnort

niels_boar

Gafford being All-SEC good was a necessary condition for this team to reach its potential.  He's been all that and more lately.  We won an SEC road game by double digits with Barford and Macon going 1 of 11 from the arc and Gafford picking up two fouls in the first couple of minutes.  Better D. Better balance.  Gafford is surging.  Thompson has been solid throughout SEC play.  It's not a disaster if Gafford gets in foul trouble.  Multiple sources on the bench are making actively positive contributions of late.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

WBOBO

Quote from: elksnort on February 13, 2018, 10:48:19 pm
Gafford needs to stay at Arkansas
[/quote I agree.  If he goes I understand, but if you're not slotted I would
stay.   Plus we got a natty to deal with down the road.  Id stay for selfish
Arkansas reasons but I'm homer and don't have his talents.

I think he needs to walk on Nolan Richardson Court.  When it's in writing on
the floor.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2018, 10:12:21 pm
Runs the floor well, can switch on defense, exceptional wingspan, protects the rim, insane coordination, makes plays most players can't, has the trappings of a nice jumper — all traits of a modern NBA big man. He's not undersized, either.

So you want him to leave do ya.

Inhogswetrust

It's not a negative. You should want to have players going to the pros.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: elksnort on February 13, 2018, 10:48:19 pm
Gafford needs to stay at Arkansas

For who's benefit. His or yours? People that want players to stay when they could go pro usually have selfish reasons. We should want what's best for the player.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

klp1

He can maximize his value if he stays & improves his game.  He could be a top 5 pick next year. This years draft is stronger for bigs. Bagley, Bamba, The kid at Arizona and others are way ahead of  him right now

elksnort

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 14, 2018, 04:21:45 am
For who's benefit. His or yours? People that want players to stay when they could go pro usually have selfish reasons. We should want what's best for the player.
He's not making me any money. I like the Razorbacks. I want what's best for the team. Gafford is thin. He needs to stay in college another year. The pro game is watered down enough as it is. Guys leaving too early hurts both college and pro ball.
But if he's offered $$$ then go

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on February 13, 2018, 09:42:17 pm
The bigger gamble is to come back and have an injury. Only reason he comes back is because he loves being a hog.

Or leave early and get injured...see Michael Qualls.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hogberry Snortcake

It's understandable either way.  If he's having fun and wants to play with the new class, he should stay.  If he/his family need the money, hard to argue with that. 

razorbackfan4life

He's got everything you want in a big man.  He's still raw, but has a tremendous foundation. 

He can run the floor like a gazelle, block shots(I think he can really improve there), post game is efficient and will get better, and lastly his jump shot looks great and can be worked on. 

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 14, 2018, 07:26:33 am
Or leave early and get injured...see Michael Qualls.

You just proved my point. Injuries can happen anytime. You can't forsee when they will happen. That's why you go pro as early as you can to try to get that contract before it happens. Qualls was a 2nd rounder before the injury so that's a bad comparison anyway.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Pinto

Hawg Red

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 14, 2018, 12:42:39 am

So you want him to leave do ya.

I support him either way. I think he probably should leave. Obviously the Hogs are much, much better if he comes back, but I want what's best for the young man because he has an incredible future ahead of him and the decisions he will have to make soon will be much more complex than decisions most of the other players on the team will have to make.

Hawg Red

Quote from: yraciv on February 13, 2018, 10:12:46 pm

You make a fair point. More than fair, actually. I'll have to look closer at it, but from a macro view, guys with draft projections like Gafford seems to currently have generally do not benefit from coming back to school in terms of going higher in the draft. Looking at the big man talent projected for the next draft, there does appear to be much less competition among the big men. But I think that just furthur illustrates Robert Williams mot making a good decision but opting to come back and entering a loaded big man draft when he could have gone around the same spot last year and he'd be a year closer to that second contract. I'd say it's had maybe a neutral effect on his stock, though he'd likely be going higher without so many bigs in the draft.

Rome26

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2018, 09:39:23 pm
It's called the mid first round and it's a very desirable range. Looking at 2.5 to 3 million dollars/year starting out. He's not a fringe first round prospect.

His ceiling this year is probably high teens becuase there's alot of big men ahead of him. If he stays another year his ceiling could be as high as top 5 depending on how much he improves. There's a big difference between top 5 money and high teens money.

hogsanity

couple of things. 1. NONE of us know what is best for Gafford. We do not know his family. We do not know how much he will improve his draft stock if he comes back. No one knows if he will get hurt his soph season.  2. We ALL know the Hogs will be better next year if he comes back, and we try to rationalize why he should come back when the reality is we want him back to make the hogs better.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

Quote from: Rome26 on February 14, 2018, 08:23:37 am
His ceiling this year is probably high teens becuase there's alot of big men ahead of him. If he stays another year his ceiling could be as high as top 5 depending on how much he improves. There's a big difference between top 5 money and high teens money.

There is not very much precedence for players with mid first draft grades coming back to school and improving their draft stock into that top 5 range. The point about the amount of big men is valid, though. It's still a huge risk. I will respect him either way and hope he doesn't get hurt or improves enough to impress NBA people enough to actually move that fair up because it's really, really hard to do. It's not as simple as looking at positions and assuming, due to a lack of projected competition, that he will move up. Especially with the de-emphasis in the NBA on positions and big men in general.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 14, 2018, 08:28:53 am
There is not very much precedence for players with mid first draft grades coming back to school and improving their draft stock into that top 5 range. The point about the amount of big men is valid, though. It's still a huge risk. I will respect him either way and hope he doesn't get hurt or improves enough to impress NBA people enough to actually move that fair up because it's really, really hard to do. It's not as simple as looking at positions and assuming, due to a lack of projected competition, that he will move up. Especially with the de-emphasis in the NBA on positions and big men in general.

It is not a risk or at least not ask big of one as coming back and playing another year where you are limited in practice time ( they do have to go to class, etc, limited in what they learn compared to what they will be doing in the NBA, risk of injury, as opposed to getting drafted in the teens and getting paid to go learn how to play NBA basketball.

Again, we can all rationalize why he should come back, but it is selfishness on our part because it makes the Hogs better.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE