Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The freshmen...

Started by Swinesong1, February 13, 2018, 08:07:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Swinesong1

Hall, Gafford n Gabe carried the Hogs in 2nd half! 

hogwood

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 13, 2018, 08:07:07 pm
Hall, Gafford n Gabe carried the Hogs in 2nd half!

Great to see others are able to step up!

HawgHeadCheese

And just think we still got one on the bench who is just as good or maybe better than the current guys.

rude1

I am seeing Gabe getting more and more comfortable out there, starting to feel like he belongs. You can see this with how he is now looking to be active on the offensive end when he catches the ball. Cook needs to give up all his minutes unless someone gets in foul trouble, just don't see much of anything he is giving on either end of the court.

lynbug

Just about to make this same post.  If Dan, Gabe and Darius had not stepped up tonight....it probably would have been way too close. Nice to know we have options.  However, FTs are a concern right now.

hogwood

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on February 13, 2018, 08:09:36 pm
And just think we still got one on the bench who is just as good or maybe better than the current guys.

True. Hope he plays net year, we'll need him.

Also it's time to recognize that Osabuohien is not a transfer candidate.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: rude1 on February 13, 2018, 08:10:45 pm
I am seeing Gabe getting more and more comfortable out there, starting to feel like he belongs. You can see this with how he is now looking to be active on the offensive end when he catches the ball. Cook needs to give up all his minutes unless someone gets in foul trouble, just don't see much of anything he is giving on either end of the court.

Good analysis. Cook has had his moments in spot play this season, so I'll give him that. Gabe has huge potential though, hope he figures that out and dominates.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Swinesong1

those three scored 28 of 41 2nd half points. 

hawg1221

Quote from: rude1 on February 13, 2018, 08:10:45 pm

I noticed that as well about Gabe. Looks like he's got a burning desire to get better.

Letsroll1200

They came through. Gabe is so much better than Thomas and Cook.

hawg1221

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 13, 2018, 08:28:59 pm

And he was a last minute signee. I like what I see from this guy.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hogwood on February 13, 2018, 08:13:37 pm

+1 hogwood
Me right now!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Dwight_K_Shrute

Gabe O might be the heart of the team. He may have only had 3 pts tonight but definitely a difference maker
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hoglady

Thomas had a decent game tonight.
6 points / 4 rebounds and he made some critical FT's when were reeling at the line.

Taking nothing away from the freshman - who played great.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

k.c.hawg

36 and 20 in a big road game in the last qtr of the season. Freshman class missing one of it's top 2 players still comes up huge. Great recruiting class and the coaching staff is bringing them around at money time. Screw the people that thinks this staff is incapable.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hawg1221

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 13, 2018, 08:34:37 pm
Gabe O might be the heart of the team. He may have only had 3 pts tonight but definitely a difference maker

Fans want to see players play with passion.  Him and Darius both played with that freshman desire to prove their worth on the team. That's a very good trait to have.

Pancetta

I don't understand the hate this year for Thomas. He doesn't make dumb turnovers and he defends in the post if the other team has more than one big on the floor. He may not score a ton but he doesn't freeze the ball and he hustles.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

hawg1221

Yes, Thomas is okay. He may not win the game for you, but he doesn't lose it for you either.

hoglady

Quote from: Pancetta on February 13, 2018, 08:45:24 pm
I don’t understand the hate this year for Thomas. He doesn’t make dumb turnovers and he defends in the post if the other team has more than one big on the floor. He may not score a ton but he doesn’t freeze the ball and he hustles.

I don't either.
He had a pretty good game tonight and the effort is always there - he will mix it up.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

lookawayquick

Energy comes from the frost; D Hall, Gabe O and D Gafford play with passion.  Wish that would rub off on some of the seniors the last few games.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: lookawayquick on February 13, 2018, 09:07:17 pm
Energy comes from the frost; D Hall, Gabe O and D Gafford play with passion.  Wish that would rub off on some of the seniors the last few games.

Thompson played a damn good game. Barfiord played very well. Thomas played a fine game. Macon wasn't scoring at ease but took the ball to the basket and more importantly defered to the guys that were shooting well. I don't know what else you would have wanted from the seniors tonight
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

HoopS

I don't understand the hate this year for Thomas. He doesn't make dumb turnovers and he defends in the post if the other team has more than one big on the floor. He may not score a ton but he doesn't freeze the ball and he hustles.
it is just some posters love to do. Seems they pick one or two and always pile on. Beard gets a lot of it. He stepped up tonight too.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: hogwood on February 13, 2018, 08:13:37 pm

the only people that said Gabe was a transfer candidate was the stupid idiots on here
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

rtr

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 13, 2018, 09:11:01 pm
Thompson played a damn good game. Barfiord played very well. Thomas played a fine game. Macon wasn't scoring at ease but took the ball to the basket and more importantly defered to the guys that were shooting well. I don't know what else you would have wanted from the seniors tonight
When Trey plays well this team is a tough out for anyone we play.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

lookawayquick

K.C. - you and I have a difference of opinion on how JB played tonight.  Where was the energy?  Hustle?  Macon's stroke was off but he did try to create.  His defense wasn't the best of his year.  JB and Macon can be special but they have to bring energy, hustle and play a little D.  The freshmen are showing the old guys how to play with passion and exhuberence.

FATHAWG08

Thomas has made some pretty good moves to the basket with the dribble. Just wished he did more of it. He would be a solid backup player for us if we had a more offensive option at the 4.
I love off season Football!!

Hogginintheville

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 13, 2018, 09:11:01 pm

Macon was pressing a bit in the first half to make things happen but he settled down and was a creater in the 2nd half. I think Barford was off all night.

Hawg Red

Gabe, Hall and Bailey will be our starting frontcourt next season.

Take that how you will. It gives me equal parts excitement and trepidation. 

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2018, 09:41:22 pm

Chaney, Henderson, gonna have something to say about that
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Hawg Red

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 13, 2018, 09:50:52 pm
Chaney, Henderson, gonna have something to say about that

Chaney maybe, but I doubt Henderson makes a push. The three I mentioned will all have experience in the system and we know that goes a long with Anderson. Usually only exceptional freshmen like Portis and Gafford start unless you have seniors who aren't pulling weight (like when Mike started Hall over Macon or Bailey over Thomas/Cook). Next year might be different with such a young roster, and I'm not sure Bailey will even be here (just based on my opinion that MA is under-utilizing him and he might be unhappy with his reduced role).

thebignasty

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2018, 09:41:22 pm

Thats really athletic and really small lol

Beaverfever

February 14, 2018, 02:47:11 am #31 Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:57:52 am by Beaverfever
I'm finally getting a chance to watch the second half.  Gabe looks much more comfortable.  Hall and him were huge gets.  I don't know if kids are getting better at basketball or what but I don't remember 3 stars coming in with this much potential.  Love to see the them coming along.  They're both 6-8 with tremendous athleticism and look comfortable on the perimeter or attacking the basket. I wish our sophomores would step up too.  We'll need them next season. 

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 13, 2018, 08:28:59 pm
I like Gabe but he's not better than Thomas.

hawgfan4life

Gabe has been a nice addition to the team dynamics the past few games.  He demonstrated some serious immaturity at one point last night and maybe some insight as to why it took him until late to play during critical times of a game.  Could have gotten a T as easily as it was to read his lips saying something he shouldn't with kids watching. 

riccoar

Get so use to seeing the guys on the court, you forget the one's in the stable.  Khalil Garland true PG.

Hou-Hog

Thomas always makes at least 2 really dumb fouls.  Typically he does have two-three really silly fouls as well

razorback1829

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on February 14, 2018, 04:29:54 am
I like Gabe but he's not better than Thomas.

Lol what team you been watching? He sure is better than Thomas.

razorbackfan4life

It was refreshing to see a PF(Gabe) be decisive on the offensive side of the court.  And he hustles his butt off on defense. 

I would like to see him take all of Cooks minutes.  Go 50/50 with him and DT on minutes.  Mix Hall in at the 3/4 depending on the flow of the game. 

razorback1829

Quote from: razorbackfan4life on February 14, 2018, 07:47:08 am
It was refreshing to see a PF(Gabe) be decisive on the offensive side of the court.  And he hustles his butt off on defense. 

I would like to see him take all of Cooks minutes.  Go 50/50 with him and DT on minutes.  Mix Hall in at the 3/4 depending on the flow of the game.

Hall will play 4 in occasional situations, but man at this point he's almost strictly wing and  thriving. Provides mismatches, rebounding, energy, and defense from that other wing which was needed.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 14, 2018, 07:36:37 am
Lol what team you been watching? He sure is better than Thomas.
on the defensive side yes but Thomas is twice the offensive guy, he made some real moves last night that I wasn't expecting

HoopS

Gabe is showing some real flashes. Glad to see him take it to the hole and then also not hesitate when he had an easy look.

Capt. Hamm

My starting line-up:
Gabe
Hall
Macon
Barford
Gafford.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 14, 2018, 06:13:41 am
Gabe has been a nice addition to the team dynamics the past few games.  He demonstrated some serious immaturity at one point last night and maybe some insight as to why it took him until late to play during critical times of a game.  Could have gotten a T as easily as it was to read his lips saying something he shouldn't with kids watching.

Give me a break.

Hog-N-Ham

I like the effort Darious Hall plays with ... he makes some freshman mistakes but he seems to always be giving 100% on the court.

mhuff

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 13, 2018, 09:25:24 pm
the only people that said Gabe was a transfer candidate was the stupid idiots on here

We could do with a lot less people on here calling others stupid.

If you don't see that CMA was setting Gabe up for the desire to transfer,  you are not very observant. He has done it time and time again, and the players have left. It's tough when you and everyone else knows you are better and you're riding the pine. I think CMA is feeling the heat to win , or Gabe would still be wasting away on the bench.

pignparadise

Quote from: mhuff on February 14, 2018, 08:47:07 am
We could do with a lot less people on here calling others stupid.

If you don't see that CMA was setting Gabe up for the desire to transfer,  you are not very observant. He has done it time and time again, and the players have left. It's tough when you and everyone else knows you are better and you're riding the pine. I think CMA is feeling the heat to win , or Gabe would still be wasting away on the bench.
Maybe Mike thinks Gafford is leaving and he doesn't need Gabe's scholarship.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

lumphog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 13, 2018, 09:25:24 pm
80%

c-townfan

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 14, 2018, 06:13:41 am
Gabe has been a nice addition to the team dynamics the past few games.  He demonstrated some serious immaturity at one point last night and maybe some insight as to why it took him until late to play during critical times of a game.  Could have gotten a T as easily as it was to read his lips saying something he shouldn’t with kids watching. 

Geez lighten up Francis. Kids cuss, it's what they do. It just so happened the camera went on him as soon as he said it and there were only like 20 people in the stadium so it was loud. It was also a horrible call. Kid extended his arm and pushed Gabe down and he got called for a block. I'd be ticked too if I played great d and got pushed to the ground then got a foul called on me.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: c-townfan on February 14, 2018, 09:11:58 am
Geez lighten up Francis. Kids cuss, it's what they do. It just so happened the camera went on him as soon as he said it and there were only like 20 people in the stadium so it was loud. It was also a horrible call. Kid extended his arm and pushed Gabe down and he got called for a block. I'd be ticked too if I played great d and got pushed to the ground then got a foul called on me.

Yep I would have said the same thing if I was Gabe. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The_Iceman

Quote from: riccoar on February 14, 2018, 07:04:39 am
Get so use to seeing the guys on the court, you forget the one's in the stable.  Khalil Garland true PG.

What makes you think Garland is a true point guard? (If he is even ever cleared to play)