Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6 remaining teams

Started by dawn2tusk, February 13, 2018, 10:34:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dawn2tusk

6 remaining teams on our schedule and 5 are projected to make the tournament according to Joe Lunardi.  Tonight's opponent is the exception.  Need 3 or 4 wins to dance.  Tonight would go a long way.

hogsrule44

This win really wouldn't go along way...these are the games that a tournament team is expected to win.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: hogsrule44 on February 13, 2018, 10:36:15 am
This win really wouldn't go along way...these are the games that a tournament team is expected to win.
exactly. A win is "good job you took care of business"; a loss is "oh crap we better string some wins together."
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

HawgHeadCheese

You must haven't been watching much college basketball this year. A win on the road is never a guarantee. In the eyes of Lunardi a road win goes a long way.

hogsrule44

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on February 13, 2018, 11:11:34 am
You must haven't been watching much college basketball this year. A win on the road is never a guarantee. In the eyes of Lunardi a road win goes a long way.

I never said it was a guarantee. I said you are expected to win this game if you are a tournament team.

Hawg Red

A win tonight goes a long way because a loss would be very harmful at this stage. Every game the rest of the way is huge.

hogsanity

2 weeks ago Palm was on and said the Hogs had to beat the teams they had left on the schedule that were not going to make the NCAAT, at the time that was LSU, SC, Vandy and Om. They turned around 2 days alter and lost to LSU. They really need to win tonight. OM is bad, OM has been fading, and OM RPI is 104 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

99toLife

Quote from: hogsanity on February 13, 2018, 01:31:01 pm
2 weeks ago Palm was on and said the Hogs had to beat the teams they had left on the schedule that were not going to make the NCAAT, at the time that was LSU, SC, Vandy and Om. They turned around 2 days alter and lost to LSU. They really need to win tonight. OM is bad, OM has been fading, and OM RPI is 104

I agree, a loss to OM tonight would be a dagger, not death but major blood loss.   

hogsanity

Quote from: 99toLife on February 13, 2018, 01:35:41 pm
I agree, a loss to OM tonight would be a dagger, not death but major blood loss.   

A loss tonight, imo, would move them to the 1st 4 out. That of course would change if they come back and win Sat.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SoonerBaHog

Quote from: dawn2tusk on February 13, 2018, 10:34:58 am
6 remaining teams on our schedule and 5 are projected to make the tournament according to Joe Lunardi.  Tonight's opponent is the exception.  Need 3 or 4 wins to dance.  Tonight would go a long way.
[/quote

Yes it would and the Hogs should!

Adam Stokes

Quote from: hogsanity on February 13, 2018, 01:38:35 pm
A loss tonight, imo, would move them to the 1st 4 out. That of course would change if they come back and win Sat.

We still have a lot of space between us and the line. It would probably drop us from our spot at +11 to around +6. All the teams in the "last 4 in" seemed to lose a game last week but didn't budge because they all lost a game. Gave us a bit of a buffer.

hawg66

Quote from: hogsanity on February 13, 2018, 01:38:35 pm
lol
The committee hasn't even met yet. You guys do know that these brackets aren't real, surely. When the season ends the real committee will decide all of this. Wringing your hands about it or speculating about it is an exercise in trying to bag butterflies without a net.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawg66 on February 13, 2018, 01:54:43 pm
lol
The committee hasn't even met yet. You guys do know that these brackets aren't real, surely. When the season ends the real committee will decide all of this. Wringing your hands about it or speculating about it is an exercise in trying to bag butterflies without a net.

Yes, we realize it is all PROJECTIONS, that's whey they all say PROJECTED bracket. No one is asking you to participate.

thehill1414

Adam hit the nail on the head - a loss likely drops us a seed line (10-11 instead of 9-10), not out of the tournament.

IMO, a win doesn't do much to our current seeding, but it gets us to where a 2-3 record over our final 5 is acceptable for staying put at a 9-10 seed. Which begs another question -

Is it better to go 2-4 over our last 6, maybe win 1 in the SECT and sneak in the tournament with an 11 seed OR finish strong going 4-2, win 1 in the SECT and get that magical 8 seed?

jst01

Quote from: thehill1414 on February 13, 2018, 02:37:35 pm
Adam hit the nail on the head - a loss likely drops us a seed line (10-11 instead of 9-10), not out of the tournament.

IMO, a win doesn't do much to our current seeding, but it gets us to where a 2-3 record over our final 5 is acceptable for staying put at a 9-10 seed. Which begs another question -

Is it better to go 2-4 over our last 6, maybe win 1 in the SECT and sneak in the tournament with an 11 seed OR finish strong going 4-2, win 1 in the SECT and get that magical 8 seed?

11 seed for sure. I can't take another year of fans claiming "we went to toe to toe with a 1 seed!!! Yay!!"

hawg66

Quote from: hogsanity on February 13, 2018, 02:08:59 pm
Yes, we realize it is all PROJECTIONS, that's whey they all say PROJECTED bracket. No one is asking you to participate.
Didn't know I needed permission to post my opinion in this thread. Oh wait.... I don't.

You're really a piece of work. smh

EastexHawg

Looking at the schedule it's not hard to imagine an 0-6 finish.  It's probably not likely, but it wouldn't be shocking if it happened.

a0ashle

A win tonight would be a solidly Quadrant 2 win. That's not nothing.

RaisinHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 13, 2018, 03:29:03 pm
Looking at the schedule it's not hard to imagine an 0-6 finish.  It's probably not likely, but it wouldn't be shocking if it happened.

Um yes it would be ... When is the last time we lost 6 games in a row ? Has it ever happened?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 13, 2018, 03:29:03 pm

To me it would be a surprise considering we have had only 1 losing season in the SEC under MA. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?