Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

40 Years Ago Today

Started by The Royal Ham, February 13, 2018, 08:58:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Royal Ham

February 13, 2018, 08:58:31 am Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:09:53 am by The Royal Ham
Where has the time gone?
January 05, 2024, 07:00:13 am
Thanks Hammer....I'll post another Saturday drank thread tomorrow...in the meantime, post anything you want here or ignore it.

Rev

99toLife

The days of shorty shorts and LONG socks

EastexHawg

Long time ago when we was fab...

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The Royal Ham on February 13, 2018, 08:58:31 am
Where has the time gone?

Yes, many advances in deodorant technology. Seriously though, I was so impressed with that cover that I stole the only copy in the high school library. I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations has expired now so...
Hogs up! Covid down!

lynbug

This is a visual that helps everyone understand why most fans who were watching (or listening) to every game of the 70's, 80's and 90's are sooooo frustrated.  And, in part,  helps explain why MA is our coach----anything that takes us back to the glory days.  Hard to let go of three decades of basketball nirvana....not saying there weren't down years but, overall...pretty sweet.

hoglady

Quote from: lynbug on February 13, 2018, 09:39:42 am
This is a visual that helps everyone understand why most fans who were watching (or listening) to every game of the 70's, 80's and 90's are sooooo frustrated.  And, in part,  helps explain why MA is our coach----anything that takes us back to the glory days.  Hard to let go of three decades of basketball nirvana....not saying there weren't down years but, overall...pretty sweet.

It was a glorious time for Arkansas basketball.
Watching Sutton build the program from truly nothing and then Richardson taking us to a National Championship.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

EastexHawg

We were 83-11 overall and 43-5 in conference from 1977-1979.  One national 3rd place finish, one Elite Eight, and a 26-2 record the other year.

Sutton was 202-44 overall and 109-19 in conference games over an eight year stretch from 1976-77 to 1983-84...average records of 25-5 and 14-2.  He had one Final Four, one Elite Eight, and two Sweet Sixteens during that time.  It was a great time to be young and a Razorback fan.

And...Sutton did it on the heels of Duddy Waller and Lanny Van Eman going a combined 44-84 over the five seasons before he came to Arkansas.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: The Royal Ham on February 13, 2018, 08:58:31 am
Where has the time gone?
One of the best SI covers of all time.
I've read people from other states commenting on that cover. It's a classic photo.

deserthog

ChicoHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 13, 2018, 09:50:43 am
We were 83-11 overall and 43-5 in conference from 1977-1979.  One national 3rd place finish, one Elite Eight, and a 26-2 record the other year.

Sutton was 202-44 overall and 109-19 in conference games over an eight year stretch from 1976-77 to 1983-84...average records of 25-5 and 14-2.  He had one Final Four, one Elite Eight, and two Sweet Sixteens during that time.  It was a great time to be young and a Razorback fan.

And...Sutton did it on the heels of Duddy Waller and Lanny Van Eman going a combined 44-84 over the five seasons before he came to Arkansas.
I was in college there from 79-83 and I loved the basketball games.  I still say Sutton was the best in-game strategic coach I've ever seen.  He knew how to maximize his team against the opponent and make adjustments.  Fun time on the hill! 

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 13, 2018, 10:02:52 am
One of the best SI covers of all time.
I've read people from other states commenting on that cover. It's a classic photo.

A few years ago, S.I. polled several of its editors to rank the all-time S.I covers (in the magazine's history!).  You might be surprised how high this picture of Sidney ranks among those editors.

https://www.si.com/vault/2010/12/06/106012864/why-well-take-sidney-moncrief-over-dr-j

hoglady

I was at the North Carolina game in Pine Bluff in '84 - remember it like it was yesterday.
Probably the most thrilling Hog win in any sport I've seen in person.
I miss those days of Hog basketball.

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

3of5-2

Nobody ever dunked like Super Sid did then and never since. Look at those bent elbows and the ball behind his neck, with great elevation, and that is how you deliver a THUNDEROUS dunk.

HogBreath

Can anyone identify that Texass player?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Razorbacks#1

One of my favorite Razorback collectible cards
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: HogBreath on February 13, 2018, 05:18:57 pm
Can anyone identify that Texass player?

Either Jim Krivacs or Tyrone Branyan.  They were the two white starters on those Texas teams.  I think it's Krivacs.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Razorbacks#1

Here's a couple more good ones
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

TushCrush

I was there that night with my wife. Those were the glory years of the SWC.

hawgball40

Awesome thread! As a sub 30 hog fan, i feel like i missed out on super sid and the triplets

HogBreath

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 13, 2018, 05:40:36 pm
Either Jim Krivacs or Tyrone Branyan.  They were the two white starters on those Texas teams.  I think it's Krivacs.
It's Branyan.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

The Royal Ham

I was thinking Krivacs as well but I'm not 100% on that.
January 05, 2024, 07:00:13 am
Thanks Hammer....I'll post another Saturday drank thread tomorrow...in the meantime, post anything you want here or ignore it.

Rev

hoglady

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 13, 2018, 06:35:21 pm
Awesome thread! As a sub 30 hog fan, i feel like i missed out on super sid and the triplets

Those guys took Arkansas basketball to places not many thought it could ever go.
Barnhill went from a nothing arena with few fans - to one of the most feared places to play in the country.
It was just something to see.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: HogBreath on February 13, 2018, 06:49:18 pm
It's Branyan.

I had a 50-50 chance.  Knew it wasn't Baxter or Moore.

Abe Lemons' Texas team was pretty dang good.  We had some classic games with them during that era.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

TushCrush

Texas and TAMU games were always epic.

HogBreath

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 13, 2018, 07:38:12 pm
I had a 50-50 chance.  Knew it wasn't Baxter or Moore.

Abe Lemons' Texas team was pretty dang good.  We had some classic games with them during that era.
You're right, that was a dang good Texas team, uh, never thought I'd say that, but yeah, those guys could flat play.

Have I just gotten old, or was it a better game back then?

ChicoHog

Quote from: HogBreath on February 13, 2018, 07:46:30 pm
You're right, that was a dang good Texas team, uh, never thought I'd say that, but yeah, those guys could flat play.

Have I just gotten old, or was it a better game back then?
We have gotten old but it still was a much better game. 

PORKULATOR

My favorite rock album and favorite SI came out a day apart... Cool!
Woopigs

VH
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

hoglady

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 13, 2018, 10:45:52 pm
We have gotten old but it still was a much better game. 

Overall players had better fundamentals back then.
Probably less athletic but better skilled in basketball.

TexHog188

Loved listening to those games on the old radio.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on February 13, 2018, 04:12:56 pm
A few years ago, S.I. polled several of its editors to rank the all-time S.I covers (in the magazine's history!).  You might be surprised how high this picture of Sidney ranks among those editors.

https://www.si.com/vault/2010/12/06/106012864/why-well-take-sidney-moncrief-over-dr-j

5 SIDNEY MONCRIEF

February 13, 1978

WHEN I put out a request to writers to offer their favorite covers, I did not expect three—SI's Phil Taylor, Michael Farber and Alex Wolff—to choose this striking image of Sidney Moncrief dunking for Arkansas against Texas. Wolff's explanation: "I've asked [photographer] Manny Millan over the years how he got the shot, and he's always replied with a delphic shrug—one of those it-was-just-one-of-those-things" looks.... I love the pre-explosion energy of the pose and the look in Moncrief's eyes."

Wow...40 years. We heard the Hogs were going to be on the cover, can't remember if we knew it would be Sid or not. My dad went uptown to the grocery store and bought a copy that was being held under one of the counters. Hearing that, and seeing the great pic, blew me away. I still have mine too.

I know a few people pictured in the crowd, including the doctor that delivered me. LOL.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

welchog

Unbelievable Sid did not make the NBA HOF.  Hardest working man they ever had.  Bucks retired his number there I believe.

EastexHawg

I don't think it's Krivacs.  He was a little bitty guy.  I'm going to go with Branyan.

Okay, now I see someone already answered.

EastexHawg

Was that the year that the dunk became legal again in college basketball?  It was outlawed for a few seasons.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: TushCrush on February 13, 2018, 07:46:08 pm
Texas and TAMU games were always epic.

A&M had a front line about that time of Rudy Woods, Rynn Wright and Vernon Smith.  Nobody remembers them now but they were dang good and gave us fits.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 15, 2018, 02:14:56 pm
A&M had a front line about that time of Rudy Woods, Rynn Wright and Vernon Smith.  Nobody remembers them now but they were dang good and gave us fits.
I remember all those guys.  Rudy Woods was thought of as an elite prospect but he never reached potential.  Wright was very good as was Smith. 

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 15, 2018, 05:40:00 pm
I remember all those guys.  Rudy Woods was thought of as an elite prospect but he never reached potential.  Wright was very good as was Smith.
Yep, I remember those guys.
I still remember a lot of those old, great SWC players.
Ricky Pierce. Otis Birdsong. Terry Teagle. Jon Koncak. Of course, Phil Slama Jama. LaSalle Thompson. Dennis Nutt

TushCrush

Rick Bullock of Texas Tech fouling out and leaves the court giving the crowd the finger with both hands. Great memory.

ChicoHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 15, 2018, 05:44:50 pm
Yep, I remember those guys.
I still remember a lot of those old, great SWC players.
Ricky Pierce. Otis Birdsong. Terry Teagle. Jon Koncak. Of course, Phil Slama Jama. LaSalle Thompson. Dennis Nutt
Ricky Pierce of Rice was one of the best college players I ever saw live.  he was really good, at least against Arkansas.  Teagle also was outstanding.  Had a weird looking shot but cold fill it up. 

PonderinHog

From Tusk Till Dawn

I grew up playing sports, enjoy each of the big 3.  However, when I was a kid I was aware of the razorback football team (primarily because of my dad) but Basketball was IT!  I remember playing horse with my buddies and we would imitate our favorite hogs, arguing who was going to be Todd Day, Mayberry, etc.

bphi11ips

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on February 13, 2018, 04:12:56 pm

Wow. That was a trip down memory lane. In a day when print media is all but gone, it's hard to explain how powerful SI and the three networks were. Together, along with your local paper, they provided 90% of all sports coverage. I'm surprised at how many I remembered.

I had my personal favorite in mind as I started at the top and found it at number 7.  I woke up at 6:00 every morning during the 1975 baseball season to fetch the Gazette from the driveway and read the boxscore from the Big Red Machine's game the night before.  That was a magical season by one of the greatest lineups ever assembled.

Super Sid is probably the best of a long line of great Razorback basketball players who followed him.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

TNarch

Those were good days to be in Barhill.  Tickets were hard to get for some of the games.  For one game we spent the night outside the student union on ice covered ground in hopes of getting one of a small number of tickets.  When they finally opened the doors the rush of the crowd knocked one of the doors off it's hinges.

Mikey

Didn't KATV create a video back then of Sidney highlights with Barbra Streisand's song Superman as the music?