Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan Richardson Court Proposal

Started by Oklahawg, February 12, 2018, 06:26:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zebradynasty

Quote from: Cotton on February 13, 2018, 02:30:01 pm
Yeah people are talking about it because he sued his employer when he had no grounds to sue but was just bitter... It is what it is.

If he hadn't done that, the court would've been named after him 4 years ago.

Wrong! If he no grounds to sue then the Judge would have dismiss the case that's the law. He didn't go to court to see IF he had a case. He had a case but did not prove a law was violated.

Cotton

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 13, 2018, 02:46:17 pm
Wrong! If he no grounds to sue then the Judge would have dismiss the case that's the law. He didn't go to court to see IF he had a case. He had a case but did not prove a law was violated.
Tomato, tomato
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

BallHog1

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 12, 2018, 07:50:31 pm

I own two businesses and I can't say anything I want..That's just ignorant nonsense for those that want to make excuses for what Nolan said and did.

Having met the man though it's time he's a GREAT MAN who was a once in a lifetime coach and person.

Humble Brag much?

hogfan10

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 13, 2018, 09:07:28 pm
I am assuming you grew up black/mixed and couldn't stay in the same hotels as your teammates. Played on a college team where anytime you rolled in to racist southern cities you were going to be berated because of your skin color.

Sometimes people are shaped by their formative years. Why would that man not stand up and get angry as hell over any instance of racism??

The problem isn't that he would stand up against racism; the problem is he sees all his problems as the result of racism, which just isn't the case. Crap happens, and it happens to everyone.

Slater

Quote from: 99toLife on February 13, 2018, 02:36:45 pm
The court should never be named for Nolan..  Period.

After all, he is only the greatest coach in the history of Arkansas, Hall Of Famer, living legend, Mr. Razorback Basketball. I agree, the court should not be named after him, the arena should. 
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

golfinpig

For me it has nothing to do with race. College sports is BIG business. Nolan thought his job shouldn't be questioned regardless of the results. It doesn't work that way. The program was going in the wrong direction and a change had to be made. Nolan threw a fit and burned bridges on the way out and gave our program a black eye in the process. He became so toxic that no one else would hire him. Don't get me wrong, I loved Nolan. I went to every SWC tournament in Dallas and as many in season games I could attend. Nolan had a great run but when you have diminishing returns the head man is responsible and dispenseable.

FineAsSwine

If the magic 8 ball were to tell me that we will once again have a coach who will take us to two NCAA title games back to back and we would win a national championship. Plus he would take us to 3 final fours and 4 elite 8's; and 6 sweet sixteens but........ He is going to file a lawsuit against the university someday.

I would say, bring it on baby. We'll get a Hogvillian to file the Amicus Curiae Brief on behalf of the fan base. Plus, I would spearhead the effort to build a statue to said coach.

edit: you guys do know that the magic 8 ball is infallible, right?
Hogs up! Covid down!

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GuvHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 13, 2018, 02:46:17 pm

Wrong. That judge wasn't about to dismiss that case no matter what. If he had dismissed the case, he would have been ostracized for it and his reputation destroyed. Nolan was treated badly at times but he still stayed at the U of A for 17 years. That fact alone made his claims of racial discrimination ring hollow.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: hawg66 on February 13, 2018, 01:04:34 pm
The problem for the University was that they would have been willing to pay Self more than they were willing to pay Richardson. Self was certainly an upcoming star but he had nowhere near the accomplishments of Richardson in 2002. Seems like the UA lawyers counciled against doing that. It would have certainly played into Richardson’s claims that he was treated differently because of his skin color.

Self would have been worth it obviously. But that wasn’t the issue.

That's not what happened. Frank had Self ready to accept the job but John White vetoed it. White felt that because of Nolan's lawsuit, they needed to hire a black head coach so they wouldn't look racist. In essence, Self didn't get the job because his skin was the wrong color.

zebradynasty

Quote from: GuvHog on February 14, 2018, 08:43:12 am
Wrong. That judge wasn't about to dismiss that case no matter what. If he had dismissed the case, he would have been ostracized for it and his reputation destroyed. Nolan was treated badly at times but he still stayed at the U of A for 17 years. That fact alone made his claims of racial discrimination ring hollow.

Your case has even less proof than Nolan's. Nolan staying for 17 years was not and cannot ever be used as proof he wasn't discriminated against. No lawyer would use that defense. People stay in bad situations all the time. People stay in bad work environments and relationships while it might not make sense to some it's human nature and cannot not be used to dismiss the negatives about the situation. If we applied your rationale then a woman that is physically abused but still stays in the relationship is proof there was not abuse! You got photos and witness statements but because she stayed that's proof there was no abuse. Naw...UA defense team stayed clear of that argument because it would have sunk them.

zebradynasty

Quote from: GuvHog on February 14, 2018, 08:50:32 am
That's not what happened. Frank had Self ready to accept the job but John White vetoed it. White felt that because of Nolan's lawsuit, they needed to hire a black head coach so they wouldn't look racist. In essence, Self didn't get the job because his skin was the wrong color.

So if Nolan's case had no merit why the need for all this maneuvering?

hawgball40

Quote from: 99toLife on February 13, 2018, 02:36:45 pm
The court should never be named for Nolan..  Period.
careful. your sub 80 iq level is showing

GuvHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 14, 2018, 09:20:52 am
Your case has even less proof than Nolan's. Nolan staying for 17 years was not and cannot ever be used as proof he wasn't discriminated against. No lawyer would use that defense. People stay in bad situations all the time. People stay in bad work environments and relationships while it might not make sense to some it's human nature and cannot not be used to dismiss the negatives about the situation. If we applied your rationale then a woman that is physically abused but still stays in the relationship is proof there was not abuse! You got photos and witness statements but because she stayed that's proof there was no abuse. Naw...UA defense team stayed clear of that argument because it would have sunk them.

Say what you want but the fact that Nolan chose to stay at Arkansas for 17 years even though that was going on hurt his case. It made his claims of racial discrimination ring hollow.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on February 14, 2018, 08:43:12 am

Guv, Guv, Guv..... The reason the judge did not dismiss the case was because the judge made a judicial determination that the complaint, taken at face value as the judge must upon the initial complaint, made enough factual allegations to state a claim upon which relief might be granted. The judge simply followed the law by letting the case proceed.

Now, please tell me who would have destroyed the judge's reputation? How would the judge have been "ostracized" and by whom?
Hogs up! Covid down!

tolerati

It's past time.  Nolan Richardson Court  ... it should be!
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

GuvHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 14, 2018, 09:26:04 am

No maneuvering. I just think it's ironic that, in light of Nolan's lawsuit, Self didn't get the job because his skin was the wrong color. I find it interesting that Nolan's defenders cry foul over the way he was treated at Arkansas (rightfully so) but yet see no problem with Self being denied the job because his skin was the wrong color.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on February 14, 2018, 09:29:39 am
Say what you want but the fact that Nolan chose to stay at Arkansas for 17 years even though that was going on hurt his case. It made his claims of racial discrimination ring hollow.

Guv, are you saying that Nolan was planning on filing a lawsuit the day he got hired and he held off until be built us into a great basketball power and won us a national championship. After having completed his basketball ministry, he was now ready to take up his cross and take on his boss. Wow, mighty big of Nolan to put our needs first instead of filing that suit on the day of his introductory press conference.

Now there is no question in my mind, Nolan Richardson deserves that court to be named after him pronto!
Hogs up! Covid down!

hawgball40

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on February 14, 2018, 09:36:18 am
No maneuvering. I just think it's ironic that, in light of Nolan's lawsuit, Self didn't get the job because his skin was the wrong color. I find it interesting that Nolan's defenders cry foul over the way he was treated at Arkansas (rightfully so) but yet see no problem with Self being denied the job because his skin was the wrong color.

Wrong again Guvvy baby. There is no proof that Self didn't get the job because he was white. White people did the hiring and firing so Self got his due consideration. If anything, some of the powers that be might have made a calculated decision that they needed to hire a black candidate in order to counter some of the racist behavior that was exposed during the trial by Frank Broyles and others at the U of A. Which is indeed pretty sad.
Hogs up! Covid down!

pigture perfect

Nolan was good as a coach, but I thought that towards the end of his era, he became more of a civil rights activist than coach. As was said in the 30 for 30 segment, he became his own worst enemy. I would be opposed to the idea of Nolan Richardson court.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hogfan10

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 14, 2018, 09:20:52 am

People stay in bad work environments out of need. NR had other opportunities available to him. He didn't "need" the Arkansas job, if his work environment was so unbearable, he could have easily found employment elsewhere.

GuvHog

February 14, 2018, 10:18:04 am #222 Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:34:26 am by GuvHog
Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 14, 2018, 09:45:54 am
Wrong again Guvvy baby. There is no proof that Self didn't get the job because he was white. White people did the hiring and firing so Self got his due consideration. If anything, some of the powers that be might have made a calculated decision that they needed to hire a black candidate in order to counter some of the racist behavior that was exposed during the trial by Frank Broyles and others at the U of A. Which is indeed pretty sad.

Yes, there is proof that Self didn't get the job because he's white. John White was intent on a black coach being hired, that was well known. That's why Stan Heath got the job. Stan Heath had exactly 1 year of experience as a college head coach at a lower level college. His resume didn't come remotely close to Self's. It's patently obvious to anyone with even the smallest grain of horse sense why Stan Heath was hired and Self wasn't.

GuvHog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 14, 2018, 09:38:37 am
Guv, are you saying that Nolan was planning on filing a lawsuit the day he got hired and he held off until be built us into a great basketball power and won us a national championship. After having completed his basketball ministry, he was now ready to take up his cross and take on his boss. Wow, mighty big of Nolan to put our needs first instead of filing that suit on the day of his introductory press conference.

Now there is no question in my mind, Nolan Richardson deserves that court to be named after him pronto!

No, I didn't say Nolan Planned on filing a lawsuit when he was hired. He didn't. What I said was his claims of racial discrimination rang hollow at the trial because to spite the fact that all this was going on, he chose to stay there for 17 years. He could have left anytime for another job that was just as good but he chose, of his own accord, to stay at Arkansas. Filing the lawsuit was a stupid move because when he did it, he torpedoed his college coaching career. I don't know who was giving Nolan advice at the time but who ever it was destroyed Nolan's career as a college head coach. No University will hire a head coach who just bit the hand that had fed he and his family for 17 years.

Pig in the Pokey

I saw my friend Nolan 3 weeks ago and talked for 20 minutes or so and this came up. He was super gracious and dismissive , he said, "I dont care about all that." But, you could tell he really does, tho. I asked him about the slobbering Hog, and he said, "Now THAT I'd love to see!".
Mostly he just talked to my youngest son Josiah. Damn I love NR.
MAKE IT HAPPEN, Steinmetz.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

zebradynasty

Quote from: GuvHog on February 14, 2018, 09:36:18 am

Wait did Self file a lawsuit? Ok then why wonder about something we don't even know for sure happened. According to you Self had a textbook case of racial discrimination yet nothing. And YES if this went down like you said then there was a lot of maneuvering! If Nolan case was that weak and UA was that innocent...there was no need for the UA  to jump through the hoops you said they did. 

hogfan10

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 14, 2018, 09:26:04 am

First, I don't agree with the maneuvering. But, I'm sure those in charge felt the need to offset the claims made by NR. Just the mere fact NR was willing to make claims of racial descrimination put the UA in defense mode. We all know that once that is put out there (right or wrong), it's hard for an individual or university to recover from it.
Perfect example is this board. Even with NR losing his case against the UA/FB/JW, people on this board still assume his complaint to be true.
He coached here for 18 seasons, had a new palace built for him, was paid very well, was allowed control of his program, was offered asst AD status (which he profoundly turned down), and was eventually fired; and all of it was well deserved.

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 14, 2018, 10:11:27 am
People stay in bad work environments out of need. NR had other opportunities available to him. He didn't "need" the Arkansas job, if his work environment was so unbearable, he could have easily found employment elsewhere.

All find and dandy but that has ZERO to do with whether or not he was discriminated against! Again like example I posted earlier if a woman is wealthy has the means to leave an abusive relationship but doesn't you can't use that as proof that the abuse never happen. Far, far too many examples of people staying in bad situations for many reasons.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hogfan10

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 14, 2018, 10:39:22 am
Wait did Self file a lawsuit? Ok then why wonder about something we don't even know for sure happened. According to you Self had a textbook case of racial discrimination yet nothing. And YES if this went down like you said then there was a lot of maneuvering! If Nolan case was that weak and UA was that innocent...there was no need for the UA  to jump through the hoops you said they did.

Maybe Self came to the conclusion that working for a program that was being torpedoed by its, at one time, very successful former head coach was a head ache not worth having.

GuvHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 14, 2018, 10:39:22 am

Yeah, Self had a case but instead of filing suit he sucked it up and took the Kansas job. That decision has paid dividends for Self while Nolan sat at home never to coach college basketball again.

hogfan10

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 14, 2018, 10:45:39 am
All find and dandy but that has ZERO to do with whether or not he was discriminated against! Again like example I posted earlier if a woman is wealthy has the means to leave an abusive relationship but doesn't you can't use that as proof that the abuse never happen. Far, far too many examples of people staying in bad situations for many reasons.

True, and not comparable situations. We're talking employment, not domestic violence.
Did NR fear for his life, his kids safety, his ability to continue with his way of life; doubtful to all.

GuvHog

February 14, 2018, 10:58:17 am #232 Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:09:41 am by GuvHog
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 14, 2018, 10:45:39 am

The abuse did happen but the fact that at the time, Nolan chose to do nothing about it and stayed in that environment for 18 seasons hurt his case in court. Nolan was never able to give a satisfactory explanation to the court as to why he didn't take action right after the discrimination happened instead of waiting to do it years later AFTER he was terminated. It made him look like he had a case of "Sour Grapes" over being terminated.

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 14, 2018, 10:54:46 am
True, and not comparable situations. We're talking employment, not domestic violence.
Did NR fear for his life, his kids safety, his ability to continue with his way of life; doubtful to all.

My point is that if people will stay in life and death situation when they are being treated bad then SURELY they'll stay in a bad situations when they are being discriminated against!

GuvHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 14, 2018, 11:00:28 am
My point is that if people will stay in life and death situation when they are being treated bad then SURELY they'll stay in a bad situations when they are being discriminated against!

Not really. They'll usually take their employer to court over the discrimination right after it happens or look for another job. Nolan did neither.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on February 14, 2018, 10:58:17 am
The abuse did happen but the fact that at the time, Nolan chose to do nothing about it and stayed in that environment for 18 seasons hurt his case in court.

You were pretty sure, earlier in this thread, that he stayed 17 years in that environment. Now it's 18 years. Did you uncover some new information while you were posting? Furthermore, you can't produce a single shred of evidence to back up your asinine opinion that Nolan hurt his case by staying at the place where the discrimination occurred. Stop it Guv. You just need to stop.
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on February 14, 2018, 11:03:45 am
Not really. They'll usually take their employer to court over the discrimination right after it happens or look for another job. Nolan did neither.

Where are you getting this information Guv? I'd guess you are pulling it from between your cheeks.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogfan10

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 14, 2018, 11:00:28 am

What in NR character, demeanor, etc makes you think he would stay silent if he felt he was being descriminated against. And stay silent for 18 years at that. Again he could have taken many other jobs and not suffered financially, if he had a real issue.
People stay in bad situations (employment wise), because they feel they truly need that job to survive or advance their plot in life.
NR had reached the pinnacle, and most likely had options. Why stay if it was so bad.

zebradynasty

Guv you are using opinion and innuendo as fact. Not one word in Judges ruling mentioned that Nolan staying so long hurt his case. So the only way your scenario works is IF we were to accept your opinion on what the Judge was thinking. That is a very weak argument. Same one used as why the Judge didn't dismiss the case if it were so weak. The Judge must have FELT like he was going lose in the court of public opinion.

Think about what you are saying! The UA admits that the reason it didn't hire Self because the UA wanted a black coach. Heck Self didn't have to file a lawsuit! When have you ever heard a public institution make an admission like that and not get into trouble with Federal and State Laws. Your stories just don't make sense!   

hawg66

Again, the point wasn't that Self was white, but that they would have had to pay an up and coming white coach more than they were paying an established future HOF black coach. Not a good look legally or in the press. I'm thinking maybe some people here can't think critically. Ask yourself why they would have been willing to pay the white guy more and then ask how long it would have taken Nolan's lawyers to ask it in court.

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 14, 2018, 11:17:57 am
What in NR character, demeanor, etc makes you think he would stay silent if he felt he was being descriminated against. And stay silent for 18 years at that. Again he could have taken many other jobs and not suffered financially, if he had a real issue.
People stay in bad situations (employment wise), because they feel they truly need that job to survive or advance their plot in life.
NR had reached the pinnacle, and most likely had options. Why stay if it was so bad.

He didn't stay silent! You don't remember his news conferences about the death threats, shooting his horse, not recruiting white players...how he was treated differently than others on the campus.

hogfan10

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 14, 2018, 11:07:49 am
You were pretty sure, earlier in this thread, that he stayed 17 years in that environment. Now it's 18 years. Did you uncover some new information while you were posting? Furthermore, you can't produce a single shred of evidence to back up your asinine opinion that Nolan hurt his case by staying at the place where the discrimination occurred. Stop it Guv. You just need to stop.

How bout we just say almost two decades.
Not sure it really matters if it was 17 or 18 years. And, like Guv not having evidence, neither did NR (other than hearsay & anecdotal) otherwise he would have prevailed in court.

zebradynasty

Quote from: hawg66 on February 14, 2018, 11:20:56 am
Again, the point wasn't that Self was white, but that they would have had to pay an up and coming white coach more than they were paying an established future HOF black coach. Not a good look legally or in the press. I'm thinking maybe some people here can't think critically. Ask yourself why they would have been willing to pay the white guy more and then ask how long it would have taken Nolan's lawyers to ask it in court.

That's not what Guv said!

liljo

Once again, I've read this to the bitter end. And for me, not one thing has changed.

Thank you, Coach Richardson, for some great times, man. Be blessed, and fare thee well.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Mr. Porkleone

I was very disappointed when Nolan went rogue and threw fit, called out to be fired and was fired. He asked to be paid and shown the door. The lawsuit and all the vile was ugly and painted a very negative picture. I was angry about it as were other hogs fans. I certainly had no idea what is was to be black and treaeted the way he was and others were treated. I believe we are all created equal regardless of color.

I was raised to forgive and though I don't personally know Nolan, I forgive those actions. It's water under the bridge for me. Nolan did so much for the Razorbacks that's not been seen since. I'm all for Nolan Richardson Court.

Don't hold anger or bitterness in your heart. Forgive and let go. It'll make your life much happier. Woo pig!

hogfan10

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 14, 2018, 11:22:52 am
He didn't stay silent! You don't remember his news conferences about the death threats, shooting his horse, not recruiting white players...how he was treated differently than others on the campus.

Exactly, he didn't in those instances. But, we're to believe he did with regard to his employment at the UA. With the exception of being treated differently than other coaches, all of those instances were fan related. As far as treatment of coaches; different programs, job expectations/responsibilities, program revenues, etc. The jobs aren't the same.
The CEO of Budweiser probably makes more than the CEO of yuengling (sp?). I like like yuengling (sp?) better, but you know, so.

hogfan10

Quote from: hawg66 on February 14, 2018, 11:20:56 am

And irrelevant, it's not unusual for new hires to start out higher than the outgoing coach, deservingly or not. It's what the market demands. And typically long-term employees pay gets stagnant over time as they become comfortable with where they are.

The real Hogules

Nolan earned having that court named after him! My best basketball memories are of some of his Razorback teams, they were amazing. The best combination of recruiter and coach to ever lead our men's basketball program!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hogfan10

Quote from: The real Hogules on February 14, 2018, 11:55:57 am
Nolan earned having that court named after him! My best basketball memories are of some of his Razorback teams, they were amazing. The best combination of recruiter and coach to ever lead our men's basketball program!

And, most likely, most of your worst basketball memories (last 16 years) are also because of NR.

hawg66

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 14, 2018, 11:40:57 am
And irrelevant, it's not unusual for new hires to start out higher than the outgoing coach, deservingly or not. It's what the market demands. And typically long-term employees pay gets stagnant over time as they become comfortable with where they are.
It was absolutely relevant. One of the key points in Richardson's lawsuit was that white coaches at UA were treated differently than him. Hiring a white coach with less of a resume for more money would have been exactly on point.

Heath was hired for less. Self was hired for less at Illinois. The point wasnt that Self wasnt worth more than $1.03 million. Heck yeah he was. The problem was paying Richardson less.

Like I said, it requires critical thinking to see the issue. Had they been able to hire Self for what they hired Heath they would have. That's not a position Richardson put them in. It was a position they put themselves in.