Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan Richardson Court Proposal

Started by Oklahawg, February 12, 2018, 06:26:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 13, 2018, 10:11:57 am
I've already weighed in on this in other threads. This subject comes up all the time.
In general I'm not a huge fan of these convoluted names. My example was the convoluted 'George Cole Field at Baum Stadium'. It just all seems contrived.

More specific to basketball, I think the people who deserved to be honored already have banners in the rafters. Also, the teams that need to be honored have banners. What is the real purpose of naming a court after someone...for anyone? I'm not in favor of it, and don't care who it is.

More specific to Nolan, I don't think it's appropriate to do this because he filed a lawsuit against the UA. He's been honored enough in spite of that because people respect the job he did. Likewise, anyone who files suit, WHOEVER it is, I would not be in favor of this type of 'honor' for them.

Again, the appropriate people have already been honored in the rafters. Enough is enough. We could go on with this. Why not name the practice facility after the Triplets? Why not name the weight room after Sidney Moncrief? Enough already.

If not the weight room then maybe the golf practice range. I hear Sidney has a nice swing.
Hogs up! Covid down!

cityhog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 13, 2018, 08:49:49 am
Other than Tennessee, what other SEC arenas have a court named after a coach?

Umm, Rupp Arena?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: cityhog on February 13, 2018, 10:22:18 am
Umm, Rupp Arena?

Uh oh, I think I see SPAL banking a hard left and flying back in for another sortie. Take cover pal.
Hogs up! Covid down!

GuvHog

Quote from: cityhog on February 13, 2018, 10:22:18 am
Umm, Rupp Arena?

The Court in Rupp arena isn't named after anyone. The whole Arena is named after Rupp.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

cityhog

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 13, 2018, 06:31:20 am
Got one for you too: You are minimizing to support your stance. Nolan caused harm to the university, whether or not you want to admit it. He was fired for cause. Its really difficult for me to understand why everyone is so set in their ways on this issue. The truth is in the middle, but none of you ignorant people will hear it.

I'm not minimizing anything. I was just saying there are MANY things out there that lead people to think Arkansas is a racist state. Nolan is not usually the 'go-to'. Did what he say damage the university? I'd have to say 'no'. I was in grad school during the Nolan era. From then until now the student population has nearly doubled as has the endowment. Did his words cause harm to the program? Absolutely. As we are still dealing with the ramifications of it to this very day. Until MA moves on we won't be able to close this chapter in Hog basketball history.

cityhog

Quote from: GuvHog on February 13, 2018, 10:27:55 am
The Court in Rupp arena isn't named after anyone. The whole Arena is named after Rupp.

Oh my bad. Misunderstood the question. Reading comprehension and all.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: hobhog on February 12, 2018, 09:38:58 pm
Go back and WATCH what he said, how he said it, and how his career ended. It's easy to be condescending if you didn't witness it or know the specifics.

I'd vote no if asked, but won't really care if done.
I definitely been a hog fan since the wound remember the interview and I've also watched it again. I'm also black and I've dealt with I'd say prejudice (since the racist or racism word ruffles feathers in here) so my opinion might be biased but I don't think a interview from 20 yrs ago should stop us from naming a court after him. Hell he still lives in Fayetteville and still attends razorback games. You'd have to be a blind man to not see how much he loves the university.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on February 13, 2018, 10:38:42 am
I definitely been a hog fan since the wound remember the interview and I've also watched it again. I'm also black and I've dealt with I'd say prejudice (since the racist or racism word ruffles feathers in here) so my opinion might be biased but I don't think a interview from 20 yrs ago should stop us from naming a court after him. Hell he still lives in Fayetteville and still attends razorback games. You'd have to be a blind man to not see how much he loves the university.

Well, it is true that hate can blind you.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Cotton

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

GuvHog

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on February 13, 2018, 10:38:42 am

The question is does he love the University enough to stand before a TV camera and apologize for filing a lawsuit against said University???
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 13, 2018, 09:24:36 am
Nolan had earned tenure and should have been supported and protected more by the administration when things hit a valley. Every time there was a bump in the road the same BS started coming out, he can't coach, they play streetball, when the fact was the portion of the fanbase that had the influence and power (other than Bud Walton) never thought Nolan was as good of a coach as Eddie. And that always came back around.

I think it is quite obvious there will never be another coach at Arkansas in either of the 2 big sports that will come close to mirroring his success. I can guarantee you one thing.........Bud Walton paid for a large portion of that arena and he would damn sure want Nolan's name on that court.

No coach earns tenure.  This was and is part of the disconnect between the factions in our fan base.  As great of a run as he had, the program didn't belong to him for whatever to happen as long as he wanted.  We've already given it back to him anyway and picked up where he had left off.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: GuvHog on February 13, 2018, 10:51:19 am
The question is does he love the University enough to stand before a TV camera and apologize for filing a lawsuit against said University???
Explain why should he apologize if he felt he was wrongfully terminated and legally went after what he thought was his?

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 13, 2018, 10:55:33 am
No coach earns tenure.  This was and is part of the disconnect between the factions in our fan base.  As great of a run as he had, the program didn't belong to him for whatever to happen as long as he wanted.  We've already given it back to him anyway and picked up where he had left off.

No technically they don't earn tenure. The man had been stiffled by unjust NCAA crap and all the dumbasses that thought this program was so much bigger than him and could do what it was doing on autopilot were in for a rude awakening over the next 15+ years. It's pretty obvious those idiots didn't have a real good grasp on the actual landsacape in college basketball.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

jabber71

On merit alone (The only National Championship in Basketball, and creating a sustained run of success) I would be all for it.

Did he handle the end badly, yes, did he overreact, I don't know everything he was dealing with personally and professionally then, but I do know he has supported the team and continues to show that support.

I think he would consider it an honor more than most.

Say what you want but he was and always will be a proud Razorback, and it would be a great way for us to say thank you.
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 12, 2018, 10:35:23 pm
The last 2 coaches in college football to integrate were JFB and Darrell Royal.

Here's a quote from Frank about Darrell Brown, the first black football player at arkansas. click the link to read about the abuse he suffered under Broyles during his brief career as the tackle dummy for the Arkansas Razorbacks.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/881956-arkansas-football-will-finally-honor-integration-pioneer-darrell-brown
I wonder why no one has responded to this message and I wonder why it's so hard for people to believe our beloved Broyles was racist. We gotta remember being racist back then was the norm, especially in the south. It's crazy everyone can admit Nolan was wrong but can't believe his was being discriminated against.

zebradynasty

Quote from: GuvHog on February 13, 2018, 10:51:19 am

So he should grovel for forgiveness? Then all is good! His fight was never with the University his fight was with certain individuals within. Because those individuals were working on behalf of the university UA had to be named as a party of the lawsuit. I am sure if legally possible to only sue the people he felt did him wrong he would have and left the university out of it. That doesn't matter he did it. However, even though he lost his case that didn't mean UA didn't do anything wrong. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 13, 2018, 11:04:42 am
No technically they don't earn tenure. The man had been stiffled by unjust NCAA crap and all the dumbasses that thought this program was so much bigger than him and could do what it was doing on autopilot were in for a rude awakening over the next 15+ years. It's pretty obvious those idiots didn't have a real good grasp on the actual landsacape in college basketball.

He contributed to the next 15+ years and was an anchor to the program.  Helped tear down what he had built. 

He had recruiting mistakes and misses after the NCAA investigation.  His staff was weak including when it came to recruiting. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Cotton

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 13, 2018, 11:09:58 am
So he should grovel for forgiveness? Then all is good! His fight was never with the University his fight was with certain individuals within. Because those individuals were working on behalf of the university UA had to be named as a party of the lawsuit. I am sure if legally possible to only sue the people he felt did him wrong he would have and left the university out of it. That doesn't matter he did it. However, even though he lost his case that didn't mean UA didn't do anything wrong.
Or, could it be that the UA didn't do anything wrong and it was proven in the court of law that they didn't?

Nolan was wrong. He handled it all wrong because he was bitter.  He was bitter cause he fought an uphill battle his entire life. It is what it is.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

roothawg

That plus a likeness of him standing outside Budwalton

J-Five

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp2/325/919/2407058/

Section C, Line 929,  is very interesting.  Frank Broyles used a racial slur, around students, while active Athletic Director at the University of Arkansas.  This, alone, should have been a fireable offense, but of course, it wasn't.  Nolan was fired for saying the U OF A administration was racist, Broyles used a racial slur IN PUBLIC and kept his job.  How can some fans be mad at Nolan, but not also be mad at Broyles for his open racism and usage of slurs in public around students?  Honest question...
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

ArkansasI

My parents attended the University of Arkansas, and met there.  I have two degrees from the university, and met my wife there.  Our son is a student at the University of Arkansas.  I (we) love the University of Arkansas.

My tenure at the University of Arkansas began in 1985.  Nolan Richardson's tenure at the University of Arkansas began in 1985.  I watched Nolan's teams grow and accomplish amazing things on the basketball court.  As students, we waited in line to watch the Hogs - sometimes for days!  I even watched practices when I could get in Barnhill.

What Nolan Richardson brought to the University of Arkansas was extremely exciting for fans.  Nolan used his position and success to address social issues that he believed were important.  He fired back at fools that took issue with his race by carpet bombing all Arkansas fans - then pulled back when he realized his words may have been too broad.  Perhaps he never intended to address all of us with the same derogation he faced - or maybe he did... believing it necessary to call attention to the racism that existed then and now.

Nolan told us he was a man of opportunity - intentionally seeking players that came from backgrounds through which success might be most difficult to reach.  Sounds admirable.  Of course, they had to be able to play...  And we know that many of Nolan's players were not so disadvantaged, but for those that were it was easy to criticize Nolan for failing to challenge his players to succeed beyond basketball.

Seemingly too many of Nolan's players have not enjoyed success away from basketball - and I suspect that is where the conflict with John White may have come from.  I have to admit that I was never too proud of many Razorback headlines from off the court.  This made Nolan's fading success more terminable.

Fighting Nolan's fight isn't easy.  And, at times, was quite ugly.  One could easily defend Nolan because his amazing career appears to have been achieved through basketball.  The same can be said of Mike Anderson - easy to see why their connection is so strong.  Through hard work, basketball has provided them both with fantastic careers.

It is clear to anyone that lived it - Nolan's work was about more than basketball.  As he got further away from the court, his success appeared to diminish to those of us not intimate with him.  I love(d) Nolan Richardson - his actions taught me a great deal about what to do and what not to do.  We can name the court after him, or not.  Just realize that outside Bud Walton Arena people will have differing opinions about Nolan's attributes... with reason.

Peace Hog fans.

Atlhogfan1

hawg66

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 12, 2018, 07:37:17 pm
No one has the right to say whatever they want. that's horse hockey and you know it.
He made derogatory remarks about the program and administration, the effects of which our program still feels to this day.
I don't think anyone has ever debated that he isn't, buddy boy. its just that what he said was a violation of his contract, and thus he was fired for cause.
No he doesn't. he was fired for cause. (making derogatory remarks about the school to the press, open and shut violation of contract)
Was nutt fired for breach of contract or for performance related problems? Show us one statement he made bad about the program, then you can be believed. What is more likely to be true is that Nutt was willing to go quietly and got paid, and Richardson was too proud to negotiate, and chose to file suit, so he got nothing.
he was fired for cause. It sucks that a great career ended like that, but he left the university no choice.
Alleging racism against a university doesn't damage the perception of the university? what planet do you live on. People still think Arkansas is racist because of it.
When Richardson was fired there was great hope that Self would get the job. He didn't. Not because he was white but because he was white and Arkansas would have had to pay him more than Richardson was making to get him. I'll let anyone who's capable think on that and then try to decide if Richardson's claim of racial prejudice had merit.

raz1965

Nolan and the administration handled things wrong. The problem's that occurred with Nolan can be blamed on many, including he great old A.D. Nolan well deserves the court to be named after him , if any coach does. Nolan is a good hearted fellow, which is what counts most in life.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Cotton on February 13, 2018, 11:32:38 am
Or, could it be that the UA didn't do anything wrong and it was proven in the court of law that they didn't?

Nolan was wrong. He handled it all wrong because he was bitter.  He was bitter cause he fought an uphill battle his entire life. It is what it is.

The Judge himself stated how much the case disappointed him that his alma mater acted the way it did. Nothing illegal but UA certainly did not follow the values that it preaches.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawg66 on February 13, 2018, 11:47:40 am
When Richardson was fired there was great hope that Self would get the job. He didn't. Not because he was white but because he was white and Arkansas would have had to pay him more than Richardson was making to get him. I'll let anyone who's capable think on that and then try to decide if Richardson's claim of racial prejudice had merit.

What was Nolan making in his last contract?

XavierZane

This should've happened already, but so long as it happens soon I'll be celebrating.

zebradynasty

If Nolan's lawsuit had no basis and without merit why did it ever go to court? Like thousands of similar cases the Judge could have easily approved the motion to dismiss the case.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 13, 2018, 11:57:55 am

Base salary was $1.03 million. He might have also had an annuity which contributed $200k per year and vested after 5 years. That might have been a one time thing for both him and Nutt to fund $1m in retirement if they stayed 5 years.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 13, 2018, 12:06:09 pm
Base salary was $1.03 million. He might have also had an annuity which contributed $200k per year and vested after 5 years. That might have been a one time thing for both him and Nutt to fund $1m in retirement if they stayed 5 years.

Self was already making $850,000 at Illinois.  Would have made sense they would have had to have paid him more to get him to Arkansas. 

Quote from: raz1965 on February 13, 2018, 11:50:15 am
Nolan and the administration handled things wrong. The problem's that occurred with Nolan can be blamed on many, including he great old A.D. Nolan well deserves the court to be named after him , if any coach does. Nolan is a good hearted fellow, which is what counts most in life.

We would be naming the court after a coach whose 4 class avg graduation rate was 10% before he was fired. 

Cotton

Quote from: J-Five on February 13, 2018, 11:35:31 am
https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp2/325/919/2407058/

Section C, Line 929,  is very interesting.  Frank Broyles used a racial slur, around students, while active Athletic Director at the University of Arkansas.  This, alone, should have been a fireable offense, but of course, it wasn't.  Nolan was fired for saying the U OF A administration was racist, Broyles used a racial slur IN PUBLIC and kept his job.  How can some fans be mad at Nolan, but not also be mad at Broyles for his open racism and usage of slurs in public around students?  Honest question...
Was going to copy and paste the transcript for people to read on here (especially the mobile users) but using my better judgement I decided not to.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 13, 2018, 12:03:10 pm
If Nolan's lawsuit had no basis and without merit why did it ever go to court? Like thousands of similar cases the Judge could have easily approved the motion to dismiss the case.
Can you imagine the backlash if the judge didn't hear the case??

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Self wanted the job offered to him and didn't want to interview and be a part of a media circus or harm his relationship with his current employer/team/admin...

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hawg66

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 13, 2018, 11:57:55 am
According to Google $1.03 million. Self was making $900 thousand at Illinois and got $1.35 million in 2003 to move to Kansas.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawg66 on February 13, 2018, 12:25:35 pm
According to Google $1.03 million. Self was making $900 thousand at Illinois and got $1.35 million in 2003 to move to Kansas.

Market price at that time for a coach in demand.  Don't see how the pay would have suggested racism.

Cotton

Quote from: hawg66 on February 13, 2018, 12:25:35 pm
And instead we hired Stan Heath at around $850,000 (773K plus 71K annuity)...

And most believe they know why SH was picked...

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

colbs

At the time Nolan had a better resume though.

OkieBack

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 12, 2018, 06:33:57 pm
Given the way he left, the things he said, and the lawsuit - no thanks.

No one knows all that was said behind closed doors between Nolan and Broyles.  Obviously Nolan didn't have much to stand on in court, but at the same time there was no reason for any of it to escalate to that point.  You have to blame both men and the administration for that failure. 

I think the Razorback Nation understands how much Coach Richardson dedicated his life and his love for this sport to the University.  As far as I'm concerned, the man deserves the court to be named after him.  At the very least.

OkieBack

Quote from: Cotton on February 13, 2018, 11:32:38 am

Walk a day in the man's shoes.  You might be bitter too. 

hawg66

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 13, 2018, 12:27:15 pm
Market price at that time for a coach in demand.  Don't see how the pay would have suggested racism.
The problem for the University was that they would have been willing to pay Self more than they were willing to pay Richardson. Self was certainly an upcoming star but he had nowhere near the accomplishments of Richardson in 2002. Seems like the UA lawyers counciled against doing that. It would have certainly played into Richardson's claims that he was treated differently because of his skin color.

Self would have been worth it obviously. But that wasn't the issue.

phadedhawg

I'm not going to go thru 4 pages of the same old Nolan arguments but I did want to lend my voice in support of this idea. 

Bud Walton Arena would not exist without Nolan Richardson.  This seems like a proper way to honor that legacy. 

I hated the way his career ended.  I thought his best years were behind him but at the same time I realized he'd earned the right to leave on his own accord.  You aren't supposed to push legends out when they have a bad turn.  In hindsight Nolan's bad years are our typical years now but whatever. 

As a boy I often heard racist things said about Nolan in his early days.  By 1991 most people I knew looked past that or got over it.  Nolan was simply "the man" when it came to Razorback basketball.  You don't have to be too charitable to understand why it ended the way it did.  Nolan wasn't perfect but neither was Broyles and Frank botched the handling of this situation. 

This is a good move by the University and it firmly establishes what is already known.  The former Kentucky coach build Razorback basketball but Nolan built Bud Walton arena. 

TrueBlue

Quote from: OkieBack on February 13, 2018, 01:04:21 pm

Now he is oppressed?

Give me a break.

Everyone treats him great from what I have seen. If they didn't, he wouldn't be living in NWA. 

OkieBack

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 13, 2018, 01:14:45 pm
Now he is oppressed?

Give me a break.

Everyone treats him great from what I have seen. If they didn't, he wouldn't be living in NWA.

From what I've seen the general public never stopped loving Nolan and he still loves the school and the area.  Like you said he still lives in NWA.  But if we pretend the animosity at the time didn't go both ways when he was fired you are dead wrong.  I just tend to forgive Nolan when I look back at his life and his losses.  As nice as it would be to name the court after him, no trophy or acknowledgement can ever bring back his daughter.  And I know he would trade it all away to have her back in his arms.

26.2Hog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 13, 2018, 10:17:12 am
If not the weight room then maybe the golf practice range. I hear Sidney has a nice swing.

ISWYDT  lol

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 13, 2018, 01:14:45 pm
Now he is oppressed?

Give me a break.

Let's see here...he had death threats while his daughter was dying of leukemia and people shot his horses with a high powered rifle. Is that great to you?

I'm not saying that he's not highly revered here but if you think that everyone here has treated him great then you're being extremely naive.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Cotton on February 13, 2018, 12:17:30 pm
Can you imagine the backlash if the judge didn't hear the case??

Well it's not like hearing the case ended up SO much better! Over a decade later people still talking about it. 

Cotton

Quote from: OkieBack on February 13, 2018, 01:04:21 pm
Did you even read my full post or?

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 13, 2018, 02:10:46 pm
Let's see here...he had death threats while his daughter was dying of leukemia and people shot his horses with a high powered rifle. Is that great to you?

I'm not saying that he's not highly revered here but if you think that everyone here has treated him great then you're being extremely naive.
He's talking about today bonehead. Not the 80-90s

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 13, 2018, 02:20:50 pm
Well it's not like hearing the case ended up SO much better! Over a decade later people still talking about it.
Yeah people are talking about it because he sued his employer when he had no grounds to sue but was just bitter... It is what it is.

If he hadn't done that, the court would've been named after him 4 years ago.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

99toLife

The court should never be named for Nolan..  Period.