Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan Richardson Court Proposal

Started by Oklahawg, February 12, 2018, 06:26:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Hamm

HogAllMighty

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 12, 2018, 06:33:57 pm
Given the way he left, the things he said, and the lawsuit - no thanks.

The only thing is that he didn't say more.  We need more people like Nolan to speak out about injustice.  Especially when you are the person that it's happening to.

HogAllMighty

Quote from: mhuff on February 13, 2018, 07:34:52 am
You talk about Frank being a racist. You wouldn't walk on a dead man's  grave would you? Frank also gave us a national championship and spent the rest of his life working for the unniversity he loved. He was respected nationally and labored tirelessly for the school he loved. You trample on his name with nothing to back up your charges ,and Frank was the first AD to hire a black basketball coach in the SWC. Your diatribe on Frank seems convoluted to me.

The Bible in Proverbs talks about the power of the tongue. You can say something in fifteen seconds that ruins a relationship that took years to build. Nolan is my favorite basketball coach of all time, but he used his position as a forum to make statements that diishonored the school. It broke my heart when he did this. I knew his time was short. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he was frustrated ,or  he was feeling the heat to feed the monster. I have always felt that if you couldn't work for someone and not say good things, you should quit rather than bad mouth him or her. I don't know if Nolan
regrets what he did ,but it is a moot point now. I just know that I have forgiven Nolan a long, long time ago. If you don't forgive people, you allow them to control you forever. No thank you. I have more positive things to do with my mind. Also, it puts the university in a bad light if we don't honor Nolan. What image do you want projected. Do we want to be known as a school that shows love and forgiveness or a school that sits around and gloats over having won a lawsuit. This can be an act that shines a bright light on Nolan for his well deserved contributions as a basketball coach or an act that sheds a dark light on our school and state for perpetuating bad feelings for an act I wish had never happened. Take your pick.

You really think Frank wasn't a racist?  Now that's funny.  Guess you missed Frank admission during the trial huh?
I also don't think Nolan need your forgiveness.  Why  don't you spread some of that to Broyles.

mhuff

We all have to be accountable for our actions or inactions. You really seem to want to stir up some stuff. You might want to check that out. A lot of people are wound too tight these days. I would think it would be hard on your blood pressure.

hobhog

Quote from: GuvHog on February 13, 2018, 07:44:29 am
Any head coach that is stupid enough to get on TV and publicly DARE his bosses to fire him deserves to be fired. I would say the same thing if BP had done that and I believe Nolan regrets doing that.

That wasn't the only embarrassing incident Nolan had. He didn't handle media criticism of his teams losses the last few years and was lashing out often.

SemperHawg

WHO CARES WHAT FRANK OR NOLAN DID OR DIDN'T DO!

You win a Natty in a big 3 sport, or a whole bunch of Natty's in another sport (Coach McDonnell) you get your name on a venue.

DVH wins one this year in baseball and it will be Dave Van Horn field at Baum Stadium so fast your head will spin. 

You want to penalize Nolan for the way he left and the lawsuit, I'd say over a decade without putting his name on the court is time served.

It's time...put his freakin name on the Court!!!

pghawg1

Didn't the relationship between Frank and Nolan got a lot better? As I recall, Frank was at the ceremony when Nolan was induced into the Basketball Hall of Fame. Sounded like their relationship  was a lot better   

TrueBlue

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 12, 2018, 06:46:38 pm
He earned the right to say whatever he wanted to. Not that what he said was all that bad. Nolan Richardson is a damn good man.

IMO he has a point with the lawsuit. Think of all the stupid stuff Nutt said over the years. He left for a rival school and got millions in bonuses. Nolan had a slip of the tongue in postgame anger and got fired. Compare their careers. There's no comparison.

I always thought the university's response that Nolan's comments heavily damaged the program were bull ****. JLS said much more damaging stuff. A lot of double standards up there.

A lot of stupid in this post.

NO ONE, no matter how many championships they won, deserve to be an arse and make FALSE allegations about racism. It is like this witch hunt with the "Me Too" movement, just to get attention in a lot of cases.

All of that being said, he has been punished enough, go ahead and bury the hatchet and name the court after him. But take him aside and tell him that any more racist allegations (especially if Anderson gets fired), and we will paint over his name. 

jgphillips3

Nolan deserves to have the court named after him.  There were no innocent parties in his situation and suing the university is fine by me.  If you feel you were wronged and the entity that wronged you is far more powerful than you, Court is the appropriate place to go.  He has done nothing since that time to harm the university.  I'm sorry if some of you think standing up for yourself is a bad thing but it's all long in the past and time to give the court at Bud Walton (that would not exist (at least at the size it is) if it were not for him) his name. 

SemperHawg

Quote from: pghawg1 on February 13, 2018, 08:27:07 am
  Didn't the relationship between Frank and Nolan got a lot better? As I recall, Frank was at the ceremony when Nolan was induced into the Basketball Hall of Fame. Sounded like their relationship  was a lot better   
Nolan even thanked Frank in his speech if I remember correctly.

jgphillips3

Quote from: SemperHawg on February 13, 2018, 08:31:36 am

Yes.  Both men realized what had gone wrong, made up and things were better between them.

Cotton

Are we gonna have the same discussion every 2 years about this?

My vote is still no and always will be.

Oh how soon some forget...
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

GuvHog

Quote from: SemperHawg on February 13, 2018, 08:31:36 am

Yep, Nolan and Frank buried the hatchet after Frank retired. What some don't understand is Nolan's animosity during his tenure was more toward John White than it was toward Frank.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

TrueBlue

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 13, 2018, 08:35:00 am
Yes.  Both men realized what had gone wrong, made up and things were better between them.

Frank probably didn't realize where he was.....he thought they said he was invited to go watch an event about bowlin'...

Hawgndaaz

I grew up in a small all white town and Nolan was right.  Doesn't make him right in saying it.

That being said, if you do this, you'll get MAJOR POSITIVE national media attention on a basketball program that hasn't had that since the 90s. Because ESPN loves this stuff right now.

Plus, the dude is a legend and deserves it. The old white men need to chill.

SPAL

Other than Tennessee, what other SEC arenas have a court named after a coach?

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 13, 2018, 08:46:01 am
I grew up in a small all white town and Nolan was right.  Doesn't make him right in saying it.

That being said, if you do this, you'll get MAJOR POSITIVE national media attention on a basketball program that hasn't had that since the 90s. Because ESPN loves this stuff right now.

You're post is great but the last line was unnecessary. No need to ruin a good post by ending it with a racially charged comment.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 13, 2018, 08:46:01 am

Flip everything you said and the old black men would be marching in the streets.

Quit stirring the pot.

3of5-2

Quote from: factchecker on February 13, 2018, 02:25:04 am
Many of them will stay and become donors and season ticket holders.  They are the future suite holders and club members.  They, with many other alumni, will help support the athletic program.  The student vote is a sign of changing opinion.  I, for one, am glad to see the change.
Not true at all. Many of them will leave before they graduate, and many will not graduate from anywhere. Very few if any, will ever become future suite holders or club members. That's the same crap line that you hear about the "dreamers" and the DACA crowd. They want to portray ALL of them as great additions to the country, but the fact is, most of them just want all the free stuff at the expense of the American tax payers.

GuvHog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 13, 2018, 08:49:49 am

Missouri

FineAsSwine

Well, there's this little ole place called Rupp arena......
Hogs up! Covid down!

PonderinHog

Rupp has the whole arena named after him.  FineAsSwine gets the worm.

Cotton

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 13, 2018, 08:52:45 am
Not true at all. Many of them will leave before they graduate, and many will not graduate from anywhere. Very few if any, will ever become future suite holders or club members. That's the same crap line that you hear about the "dreamers" and the DACA crowd. They want to portray ALL of them as great additions to the country, but the fact is, most of them just want all the free stuff at the expense of the American tax payers.
Jesus Christ...

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

PonderinHog

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 13, 2018, 08:52:45 am

GuvHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 13, 2018, 08:55:33 am

Yep, Kentucky is the only SEC University that plays all of it's home men's basketball games in an off campus Arena that is not owned by the University.

FineAsSwine

Well, I thought it was a worm. Turned out to be a nasty caterpillar. Now I need a cup of coffee to get the bitter taste out of my mouth. Haha.
Hogs up! Covid down!

3of5-2

PonderinHog

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 13, 2018, 09:08:05 am
Using monkeys in this discussion, think about that.
Should I have provided a link ???

3of5-2

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 13, 2018, 09:12:14 am
Should I have provided a link ???
You have provided the "link" that most people recognize.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 13, 2018, 09:16:29 am
You have provided the "link" that most people recognize.

I'm not seeing the connection, could you explain? Maybe this image is some sort of Rorscharch test to see if someone might be a racist.
Hogs up! Covid down!

TrueBlue

SPAL

Nah, their court is named cawoods court.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 13, 2018, 08:51:14 am
Flip everything you said and the old black men would be marching in the streets.

Quit stirring the pot.

I've been hearing the same argument from the same crowd for years. Not trying to stir the pot.

But if a group of entitled millennials can recognize a legend they've only seen in grainy youtube videos and embrace it, so can the rest of us. Call them a lazy worthless generation, but the one thing they are NOT is racially divided in the least.

k.c.hawg

February 13, 2018, 09:24:36 am #133 Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:48:22 am by k.c.hawg
Former Arkansas men's basketball head coach Nolan Richardson joined basketball's most exclusive club on Friday night during the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame 2014 Enshrinement Ceremony, presented by Nike, held at Springfield Symphony Hall.

Already a member of the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame, Richardson became the first Razorback to enter the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and was introduced by Hall of Fame coach John Thompson ('99) & player Nate Archibald ('91).

The only coach to win a Division I National Championship (Arkansas), an NIT Championship (Tulsa) and a Junior College National Championship (Western Texas), Richardson compiled a 390-170 record over his 17 seasons at Arkansas. Over those 17 seasons, the Razorbacks advanced to the NCAA Tournament 13 times, highlighted by six Sweet Sixteen appearances, four Elite Eights and three Final Fours.

It totally amazes me that this is even a debate. The day he walked back in the arena and started supporting the Razorbacks again the animosity should have ceased. He has never been anything other than kind and endearing to myself or any other Razorback fan that I know of that encounters him. He had a problem with the administration that could have easily been resolved if they weren't just as hard headed as Nolan. Nolan had earned tenure and should have been supported and protected more by the administration when things hit a valley. Every time there was a bump in the road the same BS started coming out, he can't coach, they play streetball, when the fact was the portion of the fanbase that had the influence and power (other than Bud Walton) never thought Nolan was as good of a coach as Eddie. And that always came back around.

I think it is quite obvious there will never be another coach at Arkansas in either of the 2 big sports that will come close to mirroring his success. I can guarantee you one thing.........Bud Walton paid for a large portion of that arena and he would damn sure want Nolan's name on that court.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

SPAL

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 13, 2018, 08:54:35 am
Well, there's this little ole place called Rupp arena......
Nope. It's not. Their court is not named after a coach.

SPAL

FineAsSwine

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 13, 2018, 09:24:53 am
Nope. It's not. Their court is not named after a coach.

This was adequately addressed about 10 posts ago. Keep up big fella.  ;)
Hogs up! Covid down!

zebradynasty

Quote from: GuvHog on February 13, 2018, 08:43:06 am
Yep, Nolan and Frank buried the hatchet after Frank retired. What some don't understand is Nolan's animosity during his tenure was more toward John White than it was toward Frank.

Who the heck told you that?! Nolan was not the "angry black man" his anger was very focused and Frank was dead center. If you read the transcripts from the trial it was obvious that there was no love loss between the two men and that started way before the lawsuit.

Cotton

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 13, 2018, 09:23:08 am
I've been hearing the same argument from the same crowd for years. Not trying to stir the pot.

But if a group of entitled millennials can recognize a legend they've only seen in grainy youtube videos and embrace it, so can the rest of us. Call them a lazy worthless generation, but the one thing they are NOT is racially divided in the least.
Well yeah except all of them were barely born when we won the title and under 10 when he was fired and filed suit against the university.... Of course they've only seen the good side of things

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Cotton on February 13, 2018, 09:39:16 am
Well yeah except all of them were barely born when we won the title and under 10 when he was fired and filed suit against the university.... Of course they've only seen the good side of things

...that's my point

Wooderson

Quote from: Pigsear on February 12, 2018, 08:13:29 pm
Calling his boss a white haired devil probably didn't help the situation any. 

True.  He should have said "white haired racist devil". 
Give me liberty, or give me death!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Wooderson on February 13, 2018, 09:46:25 am
True.  He should have said "white haired racist devil".
I prefer to call them "mutant hairs."   >:(

SPAL

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 13, 2018, 09:27:33 am
This was adequately addressed about 10 posts ago. Keep up big fella.  ;)

Looks like a big race war to me and I don't have time to Wade through it. Thanks though.

TuCanSam

"SMILE!!!!"
-John L. SMith

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 12, 2018, 07:37:17 pm
No one has the right to say whatever they want. that's horse hockey and you know it.
He made derogatory remarks about the program and administration, the effects of which our program still feels to this day.
I don't think anyone has ever debated that he isn't, buddy boy. its just that what he said was a violation of his contract, and thus he was fired for cause.
No he doesn't. he was fired for cause. (making derogatory remarks about the school to the press, open and shut violation of contract)
Was nutt fired for breach of contract or for performance related problems? Show us one statement he made bad about the program, then you can be believed. What is more likely to be true is that Nutt was willing to go quietly and got paid, and Richardson was too proud to negotiate, and chose to file suit, so he got nothing.
he was fired for cause. It sucks that a great career ended like that, but he left the university no choice.
Alleging racism against a university doesn't damage the perception of the university? what planet do you live on. People still think Arkansas is racist because of it.
Yep that's why. Not because of Harrison and their "white pride" billboards or rumors that the KKK started in Arkansas or 101 other things that make people look down on Arkansas. At least we aren't Mississippi though!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 13, 2018, 06:32:01 am
You know what I meant Sow. You are just being indignant by splitting cont heirs.
No indignation here at all. Just one who thinks words should be handled carefully. There was ample opportunity for you to clarify the context but you didn't.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 13, 2018, 09:49:08 am
Looks like a big race war to me and I don't have time to Wade through it. Thanks though.

You wade through it every day in this world and Arkansas is no different. In this argument though, race has nothing to do with me wanting Nolan to get the court named after him because he earned it. If it had been a white coach who sued the university or even Eddie Sutton with his drinking and substance abuse problems and had won us a national championship I would not have objected to the court being named after them.

Some of the most vocal opponents of Coach Richardson getting the court named after him somehow find a way to support/condone Coach Sutton having a court named after him.

One coach excercised his constitutional right to free speech and the other violated the law, destroyed property and urinated in public. Something seems a little off.
Hogs up! Covid down!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on February 13, 2018, 09:52:37 am
Yep that's why. Not because of Harrison and their "white pride" billboards or rumors that the KKK started in Arkansas or 101 other things that make people look down on Arkansas. At least we aren't Mississippi though!

3of5-2

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 13, 2018, 09:22:55 am

Yep, plenty of those out there. That's the future, or at least they think so.

HognitiveDissonance

I've already weighed in on this in other threads. This subject comes up all the time.
In general I'm not a huge fan of these convoluted names. My example was the convoluted 'George Cole Field at Baum Stadium'. It just all seems contrived.

More specific to basketball, I think the people who deserved to be honored already have banners in the rafters. Also, the teams that need to be honored have banners. What is the real purpose of naming a court after someone...for anyone? I'm not in favor of it, and don't care who it is.

More specific to Nolan, I don't think it's appropriate to do this because he filed a lawsuit against the UA. He's been honored enough in spite of that because people respect the job he did. Likewise, anyone who files suit, WHOEVER it is, I would not be in favor of this type of 'honor' for them.

Again, the appropriate people have already been honored in the rafters. Enough is enough. We could go on with this. Why not name the practice facility after the Triplets? Why not name the weight room after Sidney Moncrief? Enough already.