Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan Richardson Court Proposal

Started by Oklahawg, February 12, 2018, 06:26:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

I posted this in Jump Ball as well,  but it seems important enough to place a thread here...or at least a reminder to go there and view the link.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/feb/12/proposal-would-name-arkansas-court-after-nolan-ric/
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

PonderinHog

pghawg1

bvillepig

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 12, 2018, 06:33:57 pm
Given the way he left, the things he said, and the lawsuit - no thanks.
He earned the right to say whatever he wanted to. Not that what he said was all that bad. Nolan Richardson is a damn good man.

IMO he has a point with the lawsuit. Think of all the stupid stuff Nutt said over the years. He left for a rival school and got millions in bonuses. Nolan had a slip of the tongue in postgame anger and got fired. Compare their careers. There's no comparison.

I always thought the university's response that Nolan's comments heavily damaged the program were bull ****. JLS said much more damaging stuff. A lot of double standards up there.

hawgball40

I support this move. It's well earned IMO, even if he left the school under less than stellar terms.

NuttinItUp

Just as long as it has Slobbering Hog on it, I am in.

zenchow

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 12, 2018, 06:51:19 pm
No, he didn't and one doesn't earn such a right.  Words, like actions, have consequences. 

The comparison to any other coach is irrelevant since no other coach is under consideration to have the court named after them.
He got fired for simply speaking his mind and excerising his right to speak freely. Is that not enough of a consequence for you?

Everyone makes mistakes and bad decisions. EVEN YOU. Honestly what he did wasn't even bad. There was nothing morally wrong about it. It's not even a character flaw against him.

The fact is human beings are flawed individuals.

Edidie Sutton has a court named after him and he was a terrible alcoholic.

Adolph Rupp has an arena named after him and he was a known racist.

I'm so glad you're a perfect person though. Enjoy life holding words against people that they simply spoke nearly 20 years ago.

hawgball40

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 12, 2018, 06:46:38 pm
He earned the right to say whatever he wanted to. 
No one has the right to say whatever they want. that's horse hockey and you know it.

Not that what he said was all that bad.
He made derogatory remarks about the program and administration, the effects of which our program still feels to this day.

Nolan Richardson is a damn good man.
I don't think anyone has ever debated that he isn't, buddy boy. its just that what he said was a violation of his contract, and thus he was fired for cause.

IMO he has a point with the lawsuit.
No he doesn't. he was fired for cause. (making derogatory remarks about the school to the press, open and shut violation of contract)

Think of all the stupid stuff Nutt said over the years. He left for a rival school and got millions in bonuses.
Was nutt fired for breach of contract or for performance related problems? Show us one statement he made bad about the program, then you can be believed. What is more likely to be true is that Nutt was willing to go quietly and got paid, and Richardson was too proud to negotiate, and chose to file suit, so he got nothing.

Nolan had a slip of the tongue in postgame anger and got fired. Compare their careers. There's no comparison.
he was fired for cause. It sucks that a great career ended like that, but he left the university no choice.

I always thought the university's response that Nolan's comments heavily damaged the program were bull ****. JLS said much more damaging stuff. A lot of double standards up there.
Alleging racism against a university doesn't damage the perception of the university? what planet do you live on. People still think Arkansas is racist because of it.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 12, 2018, 06:51:19 pm
No, he didn't and one doesn't earn such a right.  Words, like actions, have consequences. 

The comparison to any other coach is irrelevant since no other coach is under consideration to have the court named after them.   

I think it's even more appropriate that people with your opinion are utterly weak and powerless and have no influence to stop this from happening.

Bring on Nolan Richardson Court!
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

hawgball40

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 12, 2018, 06:33:57 pm
Given the way he left, the things he said, and the lawsuit - no thanks.
Not to dismiss what he has done, but he is not the only one who did wrong things in that instance. Now that Frank is dead and gone, its time to give Nolan the court and let the wound heal for good. Frank was a racist, who said and did racist things to Nolan, whether you like it or not, and didn't change until later on after he retired. That is why the entire department was Gutted, because it was filled with rotten racists. Nolan was wrong to put the school on blast publically like he did, and he was fired. But his reasons for doing so, there was nothing wrong with that. He gave us our own National championship, we can give the court his name. Broyles got the Broyles Center for his many accomplishments, despite the fact that his racist diatribe as both a coach and administrator would have gotten him canned in todays world. So since he can get that despite what he has done, its fair that our other most famous and accomplished coach should get a court named after him despite what he did.  Just my non biased opinion on the matter.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on February 12, 2018, 07:38:12 pm
I think it's even more appropriate that people with your opinion are utterly weak and powerless and have no influence to stop this from happening.

Bring on Nolan Richardson Court!

Really you sure? I am for the court being named after Nolan Richardson. But, he lost his court cost and was rightfully fired anyone saying different would be dead wrong.

I own two businesses and I can't say anything I want..That's just ignorant nonsense for those that want to make excuses for what Nolan said and did.

Having met the man though it's time he's a GREAT MAN who was a once in a lifetime coach and person.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 12, 2018, 07:37:17 pm
No one has the right to say whatever they want. that's horse hockey and you know it.
He made derogatory remarks about the program and administration, the effects of which our program still feels to this day.
I don't think anyone has ever debated that he isn't, buddy boy. its just that what he said was a violation of his contract, and thus he was fired for cause.
No he doesn't. he was fired for cause. (making derogatory remarks about the school to the press, open and shut violation of contract)
Was nutt fired for breach of contract or for performance related problems? Show us one statement he made bad about the program, then you can be believed. What is more likely to be true is that Nutt was willing to go quietly and got paid, and Richardson was too proud to negotiate, and chose to file suit, so he got nothing.
he was fired for cause. It sucks that a great career ended like that, but he left the university no choice.
Alleging racism against a university doesn't damage the perception of the university? what planet do you live on. People still think Arkansas is racist because of it.
Fired for cause aka speaking what's on your mind. Whoopty freaking doo. That's so bad I just wanna curl up and cry thinking about it. I feel violated.

Dude people around the country have thought Arkansans are racists for a hundred years. And I bet 99% of them can't even tell you who NR is. Get a clue.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 12, 2018, 07:32:52 pm
He got fired for simply speaking his mind and excerising his right to speak freely. Is that not enough of a consequence for you?

Everyone makes mistakes and bad decisions. EVEN YOU. Honestly what he did wasn't even bad. There was nothing morally wrong about it. It's not even a character flaw against him.

The fact is human beings are flawed individuals.

Edidie Sutton has a court named after him and he was a terrible alcoholic.

Adolph Rupp has an arena named after him and he was a known racist.

I'm so glad you're a perfect person though. Enjoy life holding words against people that they simply spoke nearly 20 years ago.

He got fired because the program had declined and he was no longer winning enough. The pressure got to him including the other stuff he had dealt with and the outburst gave Broyles the reason.  If he had still been winning it wouldn't have gotten to that point.   

Nolan has been a negative anchor on this program going on two decades.   And his comments and attitude towards education not a good representation for a university. 

But he is a great man, great person, loves Arkansas and won a NC.  So that offsets the negative.  It's inevitable to happen someday so might as well honor him with it while he is still with us. 

Dumb students are doing this when they have no sense of the history and weren't alive when Nolan had his success. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 12, 2018, 07:46:39 pm
Not to dismiss what he has done, but he is not the only one who did wrong things in that instance. Now that Frank is dead and gone, its time to give Nolan the court and let the wound heal for good. Frank was a racist, who said and did racist things to Nolan, whether you like it or not, and didn't change until later on after he retired. That is why the entire department was Gutted, because it was filled with rotten racists. Nolan was wrong to put the school on blast publically like he did, and he was fired. But his reasons for doing so, there was nothing wrong with that. He gave us our own National championship, we can give the court his name. Broyles got the Broyles Center for his many accomplishments, despite the fact that his racist diatribe as both a coach and administrator would have gotten him canned in todays world. So since he can get that despite what he has done, its fair that our other most famous and accomplished coach should get a court named after him despite what he did.  Just my non biased opinion on the matter.

No he wasn't! Keep repeating it and you think it's true. I swear this kind of crap should be prosecuted a guy gets on here like he knows something and states it like it's true.

You non biased BS opinion and you write it like you know it to be true. Broyles was not perfect and neither was Nolan.

HogBreath

He earned the right to say whatever he wanted to. Not that what he said was all that bad. Nolan Richardson is a damn good man.

IMO he has a point with the lawsuit. Think of all the stupid stuff Nutt said over the years. He left for a rival school and got millions in bonuses. Nolan had a slip of the tongue in postgame anger and got fired. Compare their careers. There's no comparison.

Is there anything named after Nutt or John L Smith?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

liljo

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 12, 2018, 07:14:00 pm

+1 !!!!! Great post. 
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 12, 2018, 07:50:31 pm
Really you sure? I am for the court being named after Nolan Richardson. But, he lost his court cost and was rightfully fired anyone saying different would be dead wrong.

I own two businesses and I can't say anything I want..That's just ignorant nonsense for those that want to make excuses for what Nolan said and did.

Having met the man though it's time he's a GREAT MAN who was a once in a lifetime coach and person.
Dude our freaking President says whatever he wants. He has no filter and he was elected to the most prestigious office in the world. I wonder where some of you people live. North Korea I guess.

Obviously there's some things you can't say. But all he said was in so many words pay me my money and they can fire me and I don't play by the same rules as other coaches on the campus play by and people of my race know it. OMG how violating to say that. You snowflakes really are something. We should black ball the guy for life for saying that. What a joke.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 12, 2018, 07:50:35 pm
Fired for cause aka speaking what's on your mind. Whoopty freaking doo. That's so bad I just wanna curl up and cry thinking about it. I feel violated.

Dude people around the country have thought Arkansans are racists for a hundred years. And I bet 99% of them can't even tell you who NR is. Get a clue.

Honestly are you for real? Seems to be a lot of people moving to Arkansas. He was fired for cause and a good reason and if you don't understand that.

Speaking what's on your mind attacking your employer will get you fired. Tell you what tomorrow go in and speak your mind to your boss tell him he sucks and basically run his company into the ground. Your ass will be fired immediately.

rljjr

It's past time. Man needs a statue, too. You win a Natty you earn a statue.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: HogBreath on February 12, 2018, 07:54:03 pm
Is there anything named after Nutt or John L Smith?
Did they win a NC?
Did they go to 3 final fours or equivalent?
Did they win 9 conference championships total? Regular season and tourney.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 12, 2018, 07:52:46 pm
Oh wow - another Social Justice warrior. 

Yawn. 

I was brought up in the DEEP South. I remember when "PC" was just called "manners." And, yes, you should yawn, considering that you're going to need something to placate you as you go to sleep tonight realizing that the world has passed you by.

Nolan Richardson Court Forever.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 12, 2018, 07:57:08 pm
Honestly are you for real? Seems to be a lot of people moving to Arkansas. He was fired for cause and a good reason and if you don't understand that.

Speaking what's on your mind attacking your employer will get you fired. Tell you what tomorrow go in and speak your mind to your boss tell him he sucks and basically run his company into the ground. Your ass will be fired immediately.
If I think my boss is racist I will tell them in a New York minute. You can take that to the bank snowflake. I bow to no man kemosabe.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 12, 2018, 07:50:31 pm

Dude, the fact that you couldn't help but brag about your "businesses" just makes my point, hahaha.

Also, you couldn't spell the word, "costs" or parse a sentence properly. Sleep it off and come back stronger tomorrow.

HogBreath

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 12, 2018, 07:59:01 pm
Did they win a NC?
Did they go to 3 final fours or equivalent?
Did they win 9 conference championships total? Regular season and tourney.
So we can agree not to name anything after them?

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

razorback1829

In 2018, what CNR did and said would've been exalted to the highest levels. There would've been a investigation into practices at the school, and they've wouldn't have touched him. Boy big difference in times huh?

Marshfieldhog

I'm all for Nolan Ryan Court. Signed, some ESPN announcer

golfinpig

He "thought" he had done enough to stay here regardless of the results on the court. He was wrong and he blew up bridges on the way out and damaged our program in the process. He made himself so toxic no other school would have him. I say hiring MA was payment enough so HELL no on naming the court after him.

Pigsear

Calling his boss a white haired devil probably didn't help the situation any. 

razorback1829

Quote from: golfinpig on February 12, 2018, 08:13:07 pm
He "thought" he had done enough to stay here regardless of the results on the court. He was wrong and he blew up bridges on the way out and damaged our program in the process. He made himself so toxic no other school would have him. I say hiring MA was payment enough so HELL no on naming the court after him.

Like I said earlier, now in 2018, he would be exalted and hailed for saying something like he did, then his bosses trying to fire him. We're in a different time. Time to get over it. He didn't do anything to us personally which is why I always find it so funny how people take it so personally... he would be an icon if he did that in this age.

BrooklynRoss

Nolan is actually willing to let sleeping dogs lie, and I can even back this up with a legit source: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13814160/former-arkansas-coach-nolan-richardson-years-anger-softened

Nolan Richardson Court.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 12, 2018, 08:16:39 pm
Like I said earlier, now in 2018, he would be exalted and hailed for saying something like he did, then his bosses trying to fire him. We're in a different time. Time to get over it. He didn't do anything to us personally which is why I always find it so funny how people take it so personally... he would be an icon if he did that in this age.

What he said was just the official excuse used to fire him.  It had been building for 3 years before the 2000 SECT run.  It would still be viewed as a coach in decline getting fired.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

liljo

My my...I've read through this trepidous thread to the bitter end.   ??? (Have to correct myself. Been 12 new replies since I started typing!)

I will always remember the joy of the '94 National Championship team. Watching Coach Richardson stick to his six guns and boots and absolutely turn the Hardest Working Team In America loose.  To keep this shorter, I still remember the jubilation at my family's house that night they beat Duke for the Title, gathered with loved ones, unified in Hog-lunacy for hours, even days later.

I've somehow found it within myself to think fondly, and forgive any faults I could easily misjudge about the people who gave that wonderful season of joy to my family. Coach Richardson? It simply could not have happened without him. That's how I choose to think of him. Whatever Coach did or didn't do, those wonderful teams he produced gave me and mine joy.

I truly pray my post here will be taken in the kindest way, because that's how I mean it. It has been wisely said, "Be quick to forgive, slow to anger." I'm thankful the LORD is.

'Slow to anger, quick to forgive. Bygones are bygones! Live, and let live.'
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Danny J

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 12, 2018, 07:14:00 pm
Yep...sign me up for both...

HogBreath

Quote from: liljo on February 12, 2018, 08:28:50 pm
My my...I've read through this trepidous thread to the bitter end.   ??? (Have to correct myself. Been 12 new replies since I started typing!)

I will always remember the joy of the '94 National Championship team. Watching Coach Richardson stick to his six guns and boots and absolutely turn the Hardest Working Team In America loose.  To keep this shorter, I still remember the jubilation at my family's house that night they beat Duke for the Title, gathered with loved ones, unified in Hog-lunacy for hours, even days later.

I've somehow found it within myself to think fondly, and forgive any faults I could easily misjudge about the people who gave that wonderful season of joy to my family. Coach Richardson? It simply could not have happened without him. That's how I choose to think of him. Whatever Coach did or didn't do, those wonderful teams he produced gave me and mine joy.

I truly pray my post here will be taken in the kindest way, because that's how I mean it. It has been wisely said, "Be quick to forgive, slow to anger." I'm thankful the LORD is.

Great post.  Wise words.  +5

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on February 12, 2018, 08:02:37 pm
Dude, the fact that you couldn't help but brag about your "businesses" just makes my point, hahaha.

Also, you couldn't spell the word, "costs" or parse a sentence properly. Sleep it off and come back stronger tomorrow.

Feel great just don't really care about spelling. It ain't bragging if it's true. And it is.

I have changed my mind after reading people like you I hope they never name the court after him!!! Did you understand my post??? Or are you to dumb to read past the spelling errors that I don't care one bit about.

razorback1829

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 12, 2018, 08:27:45 pm
What he said was just the official excuse used to fire him.  It had been building for 3 years before the 2000 SECT run.  It would still be viewed as a coach in decline getting fired.

Well I mean we can only really go by what the official reason was. And that was for what he said. He had another recruiting class coming in that was talented, and was only a year removed from being in the NCAA tournament.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 12, 2018, 07:37:17 pm

My how times have changed.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
     Voltaire
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

BrooklynRoss

Thanks for being more eloquent than myself. You make many good points.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 12, 2018, 08:34:35 pm
Well I mean we can only really go by what the official reason was. And that was for what he said. He had another recruiting class coming in that was talented, and was only a year removed from being in the NCAA tournament.

I know you were too young to know what was happening then but the talk of firing him had been going on.

That talented recruiting class coming in thing didn't work back then. 

Just making NCAAT wasn't the expectation. 

Igoudala was a raw athlete who avg 9ppg in college.

No way Eddins was getting academically eligible at Arkansas.

The others were projects.   

hogwood

Quote from: zenchow on February 12, 2018, 07:21:14 pm
Old School 8)

They should stencil this on the court in a corner somewhere!

Oklahawg

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on February 12, 2018, 08:16:52 pm
Nolan is actually willing to let sleeping dogs lie, and I can even back this up with a legit source: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13814160/former-arkansas-coach-nolan-richardson-years-anger-softened

Nolan Richardson Court.

This should shut up the cynics. It won't, but it should.

Oklahawg

Fine words.

PonderinHog

NOLAN RICHARDSON COURT

razorback1829

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 12, 2018, 08:41:09 pm
I know you were too young to know what was happening then but the talk of firing him had been going on.

That talented recruiting class coming in thing didn't work back then. 

Just making NCAAT wasn't the expectation. 

Igoudala was a raw athlete who avg 9ppg in college.

No way Eddins was getting academically eligible at Arkansas.

The others were projects.

No I'm very much old enough and was then to be in the know of what wasn't going on. Eddins ended up being eligible, and ohhh was a lottery but pick. NO way to know how they would've turned out with NR

panhandlepig

HawgHeadCheese

The fact that people don't think the guy who won us our only NC shouldn't have the court named after him says a lot about our fan base.