Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Similarities between 1999 and 2018

Started by HognitiveDissonance, February 12, 2018, 04:32:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognitiveDissonance

Some eerie similarities, possibly.

1999: Hog team was doing ok but in need of quality wins late.
In comes to town Kentucky and Auburn.
Kentucky always Kentucky and it was one of those rare years Auburn was hot. The Chris Porter team.
Hogs beat UK 74-70 and roll #2 Auburn 104-88 in a game many people still talk about.
Hogs go from bubble to #4 seed, I believe, beat Siena in Round 1 and lose to Iowa in Round 2

2018:
Hog team is doing ok but in need of quality wins.
In comes to town Kentucky and Auburn
Kentucky is always Kentucky, but it's one of those rare years where Auburn is hot.

Will history repeat?

hogsanity

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 12, 2018, 04:32:24 pm

Kentucky always Kentucky and it was one of those rare years Auburn was hot. The Chris Porter team.
Hogs beat UK 74-70 and roll #2 Auburn 104-88 in a game many people still talk about.
Hogs go from bubble to #4 seed, I believe, beat Siena in Round 1 and lose to Iowa in Round 2

2018:
Kentucky is always Kentucky, but it's one of those rare years where Auburn is hot.

Will history repeat?

That Hog team was ranked most of the season. Also, Ky was ranked 6th when they came to town and Aub was 2nd. Ky is likely coming in unranked, Aub may be top 10. That team also beat #21 Fla in the SEC and made it to the finals where they lost a rematch with KY.

This year, even if they were to win out in the reg season, I do not see them getting higher than a 7 seed.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hogsanity on February 12, 2018, 04:40:49 pm
That Hog team was ranked most of the season. Also, Ky was ranked 6th when they came to town and Aub was 2nd. Ky is likely coming in unranked, Aub may be top 10. That team also beat #21 Fla in the SEC and made it to the finals where they lost a rematch with KY.

This year, even if they were to win out in the reg season, I do not see them getting higher than a 7 seed.
Oh yea, no way do I see a #4 seed.

I think the biggest similarity is because Auburn is rarely this good. You'd probably have to go all the way back to 1999.

99toLife

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 12, 2018, 04:32:24 pm

2018:

Will history repeat?

NO

razorhead94

"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: razorhead94 on February 12, 2018, 04:54:45 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFF8cASm7WQ

Loudest game ever...PERIOD
its crazy, as I watch these games from NR era I see these steals all the time and a lot of these are going to be called fouls these days, no way do they get away with them now, that's why MA's style can't thrive..
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

jgphillips3

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 12, 2018, 05:00:16 pm
its crazy, as I watch these games from NR era I see these steals all the time and a lot of these are going to be called fouls these days, no way do they get away with them now, that's why MA's style can't thrive..

I used to love college basketball but when hand checks and minor slaps are called and big men can beat on people under the basket with 2x4's and not draw a foul, it became an ugly game.  I think it is beginning to get better but the talent drain continues to hurt it.

Cotton

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 12, 2018, 05:00:16 pm
Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 12, 2018, 05:26:09 pm
I used to love college basketball but when hand checks and minor slaps are called and big men can beat on people under the basket with 2x4's and not draw a foul, it became an ugly game.  I think it is beginning to get better but the talent drain continues to hurt it.

It's crazy my dad complains about how rough the game got in the late 80s and 90s and now he says they're starting to call it like it should be again... minus the walks.   
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Knot2brite

I hated when Jeffries left...never knew why. I really liked Chris Walker. Not flashy just did his job. Seeing Joe Dean Davenport play...wow
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

JONAS

Quote from: Knot2brite on February 12, 2018, 06:51:38 pm
I hated when Jeffries left...never knew why. I really liked Chris Walker. Not flashy just did his job. Seeing Joe Dean Davenport play...wow

Jeffries was from Fresno.  He transferred back home because his mom died.  I think that is what I heard.

hogsanity

Quote from: Cotton on February 12, 2018, 05:30:29 pm
It's crazy my dad complains about how rough the game got in the late 80s and 90s and now he says they're starting to call it like it should be again... minus the walks.   

My dad grew up in the same town as Bevo Francis ( look him up ESPN did a piece on him a few years ago ) in Ohio in the late 40's/early 50's. He talks about how rough the game was, how going near the basket was at your own risk.

Anyway, every rule change in the past 20 years has been to help the offense. Right down to eliminating the 5 second closely guarded dribble rule. Now a player can dribble out the entire 30 second shot clock. Elimination of hand checks, the cylinder rule, no chucking cutters, etc. Whats funny is, none of it has really increased scoring. One of Suttons teams averaged over 70ppg, and that was without a 3pt line.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razorbackchamps94

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Dirty

Pearl did cheat..that is why Auburn is good this year. 

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Dirty on February 13, 2018, 12:41:52 pm
Auburn cheats at everything. They have to be one of the slimiest schools in the NCAA.
I've always attributed it to the big brother/little brother thing with Alabama. So much pressure in that state. Auburn always trying to keep up with the Joneses.
They probably cheat at gymnastics, too.

In this case, it's both. Auburn cheats, but Pearl is a good coach too.

pigsooie1000

I think we could get easily a 4 seed if we win out for sure...those would be 5 big, big time wins, all quadrant 1 as they keep talking about

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

I was in the Hogwild Band in 1999.  Those two games (UK and AU) are still the loudest games I can remember.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on February 12, 2018, 04:40:49 pm

If we beat A&M, Bama, Mizzou, Kentucky, and Auburn we would be way better than a 7 seed.

jfred59

Quote from: Dirty on February 13, 2018, 12:41:52 pm

Not good ole Bruce

WillsWorld

yraciv

Quote from: razorhead94 on February 12, 2018, 04:54:45 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFF8cASm7WQ

Loudest game ever...PERIOD

Definitely one of the best I've attended.  I sure miss that environment and those days, but not Jefferson Pilot Sports.  That SR class was probably the first I truly got to appreciate their whole career

Beaverfever

Quote from: yraciv on February 15, 2018, 10:08:41 am
That SR class was probably the first I truly got to appreciate their whole career
Same.  I only remember a few games from the 94-95 seasons and nothing significant earlier than that unfortunately.  I remember the 96-99 teams pretty well though.  They were a bit up and down but they usually put on a show.  Towards the end, "40 minutes of hell" seemed like it had jumped the rails and was just complete mayhem for the good and the bad.  Starting 5 guards that could all shoot threes but nobody could make a free throw.  It was feast or famine.  Still, in comparison with the quality of basketball from the last few years it amazes how good those teams were.  College basketball has gotten a bit better the last few years but for a while it was awful.  Those late 90's teams were flawed but they'd beat most of the Hog teams from 2008-2015 by 30 points on a bad night.