Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you see Arkansas winning an SEC title under Morris?

Started by Sweet Feet, February 12, 2018, 03:17:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 12, 2018, 03:24:30 pm
YES if he catches some breaks.
You make your own breaks. Petrino had Alabama on the ropes once, and Bama went on to win the natty that same year. Why are there so many defeatist here...?
This head coach has a real plan. Not only do I think he'll win an SEC title, but he'll make the playoff's more than once as well.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

LZH

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 12, 2018, 04:50:09 pm
To take this one farther, he'll have to get several elite players (at the same time). For example, a team will need 4-5 All-SEC guys on each side of the ball. Additionally, a couple All-Americans and a strong Heisman candidate. Gotta have the home-run hitter.

Think big, like USC's backfield—Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Lendale White. Or in our case, McFadden, Mallett, and with a superstar on defense. Or, if you're not mixing time periods, Mallett with Knile Davis (those guys = 30+ TD passes, 1300+ yards rushing). And offense like that can win you the SEC crown.

I can't imagine us fielding a team like Alabama, with 8-10 guys per side who'll play in the NFL. But we have shown we can get close on occasion with some big-time playmakers. So look how simple that recipe is!

Wasn't really referring to a NC, but I do think this staff could have won 10 games with 2014's talent.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: LZH on February 13, 2018, 12:34:00 am
Wasn't really referring to a NC, but I do think this staff could have won 10 games with 2014's talent.

I meant to add...if you win the SEC, you're in good shape to win the whole prize.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

wildhogman

Quote from: okrazorback on February 12, 2018, 07:21:06 pm
Awful head coaches. where have you been?
Quick tell me the two coaches that went 0-fer in SEC games since 2007. I'll give you a hint. One coached the hogs recent. The other was replaced by a moron of the highest order,, aka' MOTHO.
yes awful.
Gus gets lucky and finds an all star QB on occasion. One who has been coached by a real coach. Or a Nick marshal with so much athleticism he makes Gus look Nick sabin-ish.  But without those he is average at best.He lost an ugly game to Ga and then his bowl game. I wont be surprised if he isn't back on the hotseat by the time our game rolls around.  It will be interesting to see if the players circle the wagon for a man who was "known" to be shopping himself to a competitor. (actually what he was doing could be compared to what the women do that Freeze supposedly called a lot),, Just think of sexton as pimp

B501

Großer Kriegschwein

I don't think we can get any further away from winning the SEC as we have been the last 5 years.
This is my non-signature signature.

LZH

nchogg

Quote from: go hogues on February 12, 2018, 03:21:09 pm
In the current landscape? No

Honestly, what we need is for Saban to retire and Malzahn and Orgeron to be fired all in the same offseason.
Any team is beatable. Our defensive coaches have beat the coaches mentioned. I never say never and we will see. I hope Coach Morris brings us a win in the SEC championship game just like I did the same for our previous coaches. Time will tell.

rljjr

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 12, 2018, 03:22:15 pm
Malzahn and Orgeron are awful HC's.

What a stupid comment, but then I guess that tells you he bad BB really was doesn't it.

ifghog

Doubtful we win SEC but we can become relevant.   No reason we can't be a top 20 team year end and year out. Morris can get us there. 

rzrbaxfan

In any given year, Arkansas would need to have the deck shuffled just right to win the SEC (a good mix of jr and sr talent, nice schedule, no major injuries, how good the rest of the west is).  Much of that is outside of the control of the hog head coach.  Do I think he can?  Possibly.  If he doesn't, that doesn't make him a failure.

I have more confidence in saying that I think he will be very successful...and by that, I don't necessarily mean he wins it all.  Bobby, and even ol' Nutt, had some great seasons without winning the SEC.  I predict that he will have that level of success for sure, and if the stars align just right, maybe one of those great seasons could translate into a level of success that we haven't seen in the SEC.

311Hog

I just think time is on his side.

1. Saban can't coach forever i mean over under Saban still coaching in 5 years ?
2. The crop of AR recruits next year has at least 1 potential program changer (Burks) and there is some depth to the class.
3. There is already some talent on the roster, and no academic/NCAA issues to clean up.  If he can get these kids to buy in success should come.

I "think" that the west will "weaken" in a few years while the East appears to be stocking up on big time coaches.

Cotton

Quote from: 311Hog on February 13, 2018, 08:45:36 am
I just think time is on his side.

1. Saban can't coach forever i mean over under Saban still coaching in 5 years ?
2. The crop of AR recruits next year has at least 1 potential program changer (Burks) and there is some depth to the class.
3. There is already some talent on the roster, and no academic/NCAA issues to clean up.  If he can get these kids to buy in success should come.

I "think" that the west will "weaken" in a few years while the East appears to be stocking up on big time coaches.
1. I'll take the under honestly.. 3 more years
2. This is volatile
3. This doesn't get talked about enough... as bad as CBB was in the winning department, he left the program clean as can be. Yes, we may be close to rock bottom... but we aren't Ole Miss bad. 
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

PonderinHog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2018, 12:30:47 am
You make your own breaks. Petrino had Alabama on the ropes once, and Bama went on to win the natty that same year. Why are there so many defeatist here...?
This head coach has a real plan. Not only do I think he'll win an SEC title, but he'll make the playoff's more than once as well.
Auburn won it all the year we had Bama on the ropes - 2010.  Carry on...  ;)

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

rhames

Think about this.

Arkansas would have to likely only have one loss between Alabama,  lsu, auburn, Texas A&M, and most likely Georgia (Would have to win this game)

That's quite a task for the hogs.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 12, 2018, 03:17:48 pm
Are you confident that Morris will at least take Arkansas to an SEC Title game?

I think he has the potential to make it, but no coach can get us to the SEC title or Natty without lots of luck. Even when we have a great team, we usually need somebody to stumble for us to make it. If we lose one game there will always be someone that will have an equal record and we'll need a tie-breaker or other circumstance to get us in. Undefeated is the only way I see us winning titles without being lucky. And even that usually entails a right bounce or other lucky breaks.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

31to6

Quote from: rhames on February 13, 2018, 09:51:17 am
Think about this.

Arkansas would have to likely only have one loss between Alabama,  lsu, auburn, Texas A&M, and most likely Georgia (Would have to win this game)

That's quite a task for the hogs.
Ironically, I think Arkansas has a *better* chance if a few more of the top programs stabilize.

We are much more likely to have a great 11-1/10-2 year aligned with LSU and, say, FL or GA, sending Alabama into an Iron Bowl upset than we are to run the table and go to Atlanta 12-0.

Hogtimes

Airforcehawg

I think he has a chance if the dominos fall right. I mean Petrino was an LSU win away from potentially having an all SEC Championship game in 2011. 

Dominos that we need to fall:
1. Saban retires
2. Kirby Smart tests the NFL waters
3. Ability to recruit elite defensive lineman to the Hill

As for #3...of course we need quality recruits at ever position, but defense and specially D Lineman are what separate the elite teams in the league. I don't think we have to have elite personnel on Offense. I believe that how his offense is designed allows for some shortcomings in personnel...Chris Peterson's Boise teams would be a good example of this.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

PonderinHog

Quote from: Airforcehawg on February 13, 2018, 11:58:47 am
I think he has a chance if the dominos fall right. I mean Petrino was an LSU win away from potentially having an all SEC Championship game in 2011. 

Dominos that we need to fall:
1. Saban retires
2. Kirby Smart tests the NFL waters
3. Ability to recruit elite defensive lineman to the Hill

As for #3...of course we need quality recruits at ever position, but defense and specially D Lineman are what separate the elite teams in the league. I don't think we have to have elite personnel on Offense. I believe that how his offense is designed allows for some shortcomings in personnel...Chris Peterson's Boise teams would be a good example of this.
Uh, there was an all SEC championship game after the 2011 season. 

rljjr

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on February 12, 2018, 04:36:10 pm
We should start a new poll around how far ahead of ourselves can we get.

Well, true. But it's the dreadful off-season, so we might as well talk about things that are years down the road.

First item of business for Morris is stop the bleeding. If he can build a squad over the next couple years, we might challenge some teams—and I agree, we need some elite players. Here's an example for you—it was Gene Chizik's second year at Auburn, he was the high bidder on Cam Newton. Plus he had DT Nick Fairly. So Auburn had the SEC offensive and defensive players of the year. The rest of the team was solid, but had weaknesses. Just shows you what some star power can do for you. We should all be encouraged by the fact that freaking Gene Chizik can go undefeated and win a national championship. So that tells me anything can happen.

Airforcehawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 13, 2018, 12:19:22 pm
Uh, there was an all SEC championship game after the 2011 season. 

Very True, but do you not remember after that all SEC championship game...LSU and Alabama still played for the National Championship? What I am implying is that if we (#3 in the nation) beat #1 LSU our BCS CPU rank would of put us in the NC game. Instead of LSU, Bama goes to the SEC Championship...and instead of LSU/Bama NC game its Hogs/Bama.   

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Airforcehawg on February 13, 2018, 12:56:10 pm
Very True, but do you not remember after that all SEC championship game...LSU and Alabama still played for the National Championship? What I am implying is that if we (#3 in the nation) beat #1 LSU our BCS CPU rank would of put us in the NC game. Instead of LSU, Bama goes to the SEC Championship...and instead of LSU/Bama NC game its Hogs/Bama.   

NM
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hogsanity

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2018, 12:30:47 am

Actually that year Bama went on to have their worst season Under Saban except for his 1st, iirc. They lost 3 sec games in 2010.

As for the OP ? I would say no. Not because I do not think CM is a good coach, I think, just like every other HC since joining the SEC he is never going to have a championship defense. At some point you have to stop someone. Even in a 45-42 game, and some point you have to get a late stop. Look at this past season, if they get a late stop against A&M and Mizzu, they win 6, throw in one against MSU and they might get 7. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Deep Shoat

Depends on two things, IMO.  Can he recruit enough defense, and are we willing to give him enough time.

The answer to those, for everyone except Danny Ford (on the first) and Houston Nutt (on the second) has been an emphatic "NO!".

I have no doubt his Offense will be fine, both in recruiting and on the field.  But so was Bret's.  So was Bobby's.  In order to make it to Atlanta, we have to play good D.

Patience and Defense.  Can Chad Morris get either at Arkansas?
All Gas, No Brakes!

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 12, 2018, 04:50:09 pm
To take this one farther, he'll have to get several elite players (at the same time). For example, a team will need 4-5 All-SEC guys on each side of the ball. Additionally, a couple All-Americans and a strong Heisman candidate. Gotta have the home-run hitter.

Think big, like USC's backfield—Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Lendale White. Or in our case, McFadden, Mallett, and with a superstar on defense. Or, if you're not mixing time periods, Mallett with Knile Davis (those guys = 30+ TD passes, 1300+ yards rushing). And offense like that can win you the SEC crown.

I can't imagine us fielding a team like Alabama, with 8-10 guys per side who'll play in the NFL. But we have shown we can get close on occasion with some big-time playmakers. So look how simple that recipe is!

Don't need em on both sides.  Just offense.  Outscore everyone and we win.  Defense can be average and just get a timely stop.

GTOWNHOG

Just a TAD early to comment on that.  Give him a chance to recruit and get his system up and running.  We should have a general idea after a couple of seasons of "Hammer Down" football.

Keep in mind that ALL of the previous Coaches that we have had since entering the SEC in 1992 have not won an SEC football Championship.   Ford and Hootie got us to the SECCG, but neither could win it...
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

redeye

The SEC has become so competitive that I wouldn't be confident, regardless of who we'd hired.  I do like our chances with Morris, though.

kennypig

yes. but not this year. our defense is going to have to be much better, and our new offense will be much more complicated, the players will have to be in this system for a while to be comfortable. I found replays of SMU vs UCF/TCU/Tulane to get a feel for what to look forward to. I can see why CCM brought mostly offensive coaches with him and started new with defensive coaches.

3kgthog

Only if we get lucky with Auburn, Bama, and LSU having down periods. Nutt lucked into that scenario along with signing the greatest Hog football player in modern times.

wildhogman

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 13, 2018, 07:25:37 am
What a stupid comment, but then I guess that tells you he bad BB really was doesn’t it.
I refer to you reply number 53. yes, awful

Hawghiggs

No. But he will still be better than BB ever was.

Paul Swinebaum

I am confident CM will put good teams on the field on a regular basis. When I finish mopping up several years worth of Bert's Kool-Aid, I'll get back to you on the SEC question.

elviscat

The upside of Coach Morris, is his ability to recruit Texas. If he can get his type of players he will be successful and compete for an SEC title. We are fixing to get a lot better and his upside is a lot better than Malzan. 

HouSwine

I'm not confident but I'm hopeful.
And if not right away, it should be exciting offensively.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on February 12, 2018, 10:37:05 pm
Interesting or not, my history is not what you should be concerned about if Morris is a good as we hear he is.  And, that's not negative in any way.  He'll win 8 or 9 games in back to back years by year 3 and 4, with a bowl win maybe even 10.  No championships but there will be interest from other programs, noting the turn-around he has effected here, and if it's a step up he'll bolt.

What you should check is HIS history.  In approximately 25 years as a head coach he has never been anywhere longer than FOUR YEARS.  Just citing facts, which ties to my initial post here.

You can call it negative if you wish but I certainly do not think Arkansas is a destination job for Morris.  Of course a lot here will think so.

I realize that anything posted that isn't what YOU want to read is negative.  Just goes with the territory.  I won't say I told you so, but just remember this post in December of 2021.

BFD if leaves after 4 years that means he was doing well enough for a really big boy to come after him.  That would be Petrino level double digit win season or seasons. 

It's basically the Dan Mullen effect at MSU he left the job in much better shape than he found it and much easier for the next coach to keep it going.  Now I don't know if Moorehead is a lights out coach but sliding into a MSU program that was viewed as highly successful with positive momentum made recruiting much easier for him.  Also 4 years will be just the right amount of seasoning for Norvell for the Peepaws to finally accept him so it will be a win win for all.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

texas tush hog

Quote from: elviscat on February 13, 2018, 03:55:23 pm
The upside of Coach Morris, is his ability to recruit Texas. If he can get his type of players he will be successful and compete for an SEC title. We are fixing to get a lot better and his upside is a lot better than Malzan. 

I am very pleased with his short recruiting class. If he does equally as well, with a full recruiting class. If he keeps all these studs in state and competes as favorably in Texas as advertised, then I believe we are on our way to something special. After next years national signing days are over ask me that question. If I am still alive, I will reply with a resounding yes.

HeathWimp

No, Morris will never sniff an SEC title at Arkansas.  He has a chance to make us relevant again, but it's going to be tough with the "uncommon" culture of losing we've had the last few years.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

jm

If he can coach a defense-- maybe
If he thinks he can outscore everyone-- no chance

EastexHawg

Quote from: wachog on February 12, 2018, 03:33:12 pm
year three

I think by the end of year three people on this board are going to be ready to jump out of windows.

oldbooniehog

No.

Three years from right now, a lot of Hogvillians are going to be screaming "Fire Morris!"

That's even if he wins 6 to 8 games a year over those three years.

Dr. Starcs

Tejano Jawg

Dang...Eastex, Oldboonie, Starcs, I don't think I'll be tailgating with you guys the next 3 years.  :P
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

311Hog

sometimes you hate the word "trends or trendy" but in this case it seems appropriate.  The latest trend in college football and in the NFL to a degree is the "fast, break neck" tempo offense and the turn over hawking bend hope you don't break defense.  Where the avg. combined score is almost always above 60.  First to 40 wins.

If this continues you want to get a guy who can do that.  And i think we got 2 guys and a staff that clearly can.  They are not also ran's these are guys that are going into their prime and maybe on the slight back side of it in terms of HC and DC, our OC is a young guy.

Outside of Petrino i can't remember the last time that happened here.  We hired a coaching staff that is "current" with the times maybe even a little bit ahead.  If we can have a high powered avg. 30+ offense, our defense i feel will get turn overs. 

I am optimistic, i haven't felt this way since before the bike wreck heard around the hill.

Lao Tsuie

No, because if Chad can "raise the flag" here enough to get close he will either be gone, burned out or in a comma. Look, the Arkansas job is just too hard for a normal human being to last more than 3-4 years. You have to have the pedal down 24-7 365... Ga. and a rebuilt Fl. will await if by some miracle we make it thru. the Sec-w. To do all of that will take a more solid two-deep than we have ever had in our existence. So, no, it's as close to impossible as you can get.

Will he move the bar and win enough to make us wiggle our toes hell yes. Pee in our pants - yes its possible.

We won't get the "shaggy drawers" under Coach Chad because Nick is going to be there another 3-4 years, then Dabo. It's already a done deal.

cityhog