Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Haters & Huggers

Started by jabber71, February 12, 2018, 08:34:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwildjoshua

I'm a full hater.  Mediocre Mike will continue to win just enough to keep his job and that won't cut it with me.  Fire his ass if we don't make a Sweet 16 within the next 2 seasons.

hogwood

Quote from: jabber71 on February 12, 2018, 09:23:42 am
Sorry let me try again

Example

I am a hater: If Mike wins 4 of the last 6 and 1 in the SEC tourney then I will admit he did a good job.

I am a hugger: If Mike wins 2 of the last 6 and loses by double digit in at least 2 then Mike failed this season.

I'm neither and I agree with both statements.

hamARchy in the USA

There are those who:

-- recognize that a good coach would have the Razorback program competing near the top EVERY year,

and those who:

-- hope that MA will have A good year if given an infinite amount of time.

Since it was obvious before he was hired that MA was a dud and that's continued to be proven at Arkansas for the 7th straight year then there's nothing he can do now to change my view.  However, my view could've been changed had his team won the SEC title by his fourth year and been right there in subsequent years.   Or if his team, which played Kentucky only once in his fourth year, would have finished only 1 game behind the Wildcats that year and won the SEC the next then he might have gotten a pass.

Today the program is nothing but a rotting carcass of Razorback past.

jabber71

Quote from: hogwildjoshua on February 12, 2018, 06:12:59 pm
I'm a full hater.  "Mediocre Mike" will continue to win just enough to keep his job and that won't cut it with me.  Fire his ass if we don't make a Sweet 16 within the next 2 seasons.
Yes I have posted this exact same response the last time I saw this silly nickname,
"Mediocre Mike" sounds like a nickname Trump would come up with. It keeps popping up and if that's how you feel so be it, but mediocre is defined as: ordinary, average, middling, middle-of-the-road, uninspired, undistinguished, indifferent, unexceptional, unexciting, unremarkable, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian, prosaic, lackluster, forgettable, amateur, amateurish.

If 18k is willing to come away from their TV's, pay their ticket price and watch the game in person, I doubt they view the team as ordinary, average, middling, middle-of-the-road, uninspired, undistinguished, indifferent, unexceptional, unexciting, unremarkable, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian, prosaic, lackluster, forgettable, amateur, amateurish.

Can you imagine 18k people would pay to see ordinary, average, middling, middle-of-the-road, uninspired, undistinguished, indifferent, unexceptional, unexciting, unremarkable, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian, prosaic, lackluster, forgettable, amateur, amateurish basketball?
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

Breems

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on February 12, 2018, 10:00:32 pm
There are those who:

-- recognize that a good coach would have the Razorback program competing near the top EVERY year,

and those who:

-- hope that MA will have A good year if given an infinite amount of time.

Since it was obvious before he was hired that MA was a dud and that's continued to be proven at Arkansas for the 7th straight year then there's nothing he can do now to change my view.  However, my view could've been changed had his team won the SEC title by his fourth year and been right there in subsequent years.   Or if his team, which played Kentucky only once in his fourth year, would have finished only 1 game behind the Wildcats that year and won the SEC the next then he might have gotten a pass.

Today the program is nothing but a rotting carcass of Razorback past.

SEC title guy!

4th year. Wasn't that the literally historic UK year where they were undefeated until the Final Four? No one in the SEC was going to top that team or come in 1 game behind. We did what we were supposed to do. I would say we were right there in his 4th and 6th years, but we missed year 5 and and aren't in the hunt this year.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hogwildjoshua

Quote from: jabber71 on February 12, 2018, 10:37:33 pm
Yes I have posted this exact same response the last time I saw this silly nickname,
"Mediocre Mike" sounds like a nickname Trump would come up with. It keeps popping up and if that's how you feel so be it, but mediocre is defined as: ordinary, average, middling, middle-of-the-road, uninspired, undistinguished, indifferent, unexceptional, unexciting, unremarkable, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian, prosaic, lackluster, forgettable, amateur, amateurish.

If 18k is willing to come away from their TV's, pay their ticket price and watch the game in person, I doubt they view the team as ordinary, average, middling, middle-of-the-road, uninspired, undistinguished, indifferent, unexceptional, unexciting, unremarkable, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian, prosaic, lackluster, forgettable, amateur, amateurish.

Can you imagine 18k people would pay to see ordinary, average, middling, middle-of-the-road, uninspired, undistinguished, indifferent, unexceptional, unexciting, unremarkable, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian, prosaic, lackluster, forgettable, amateur, amateurish basketball?

You asked if I was a hater or a hugger and I gave you my answer. 

jabber71

I appreciate your honesty, its just this silly little nickname that sets me off, it pops up more and more often and it just strikes me as juvenile and a bit silly. IMO It makes any legitimate point someone might make sound like it comes out of the mouth of a 9 year old teasing someone on the playground.
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Breems on February 12, 2018, 10:50:04 pm
SEC title guy!

4th year. Wasn't that the literally historic UK year where they were undefeated until the Final Four? No one in the SEC was going to top that team or come in 1 game behind. We did what we were supposed to do. I would say we were right there in his 4th and 6th years, but we missed year 5 and and aren't in the hunt this year.

Excuses.  The difference in perspectives that jabber71 was getting at is illustrated right here.  Some of us expect a winner.  Some of you rationalize a loser.

hogsanity

Quote from: jabber71 on February 13, 2018, 08:01:34 am
I appreciate your honesty, its just this silly little nickname that sets me off, it pops up more and more often and it just strikes me as juvenile and a bit silly. IMO It makes any legitimate point someone might make sound like it comes out of the mouth of a 9 year old teasing someone on the playground.

Kind of like all the stupid nicknames people came up with for BB.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jabber71

Quote from: hogsanity on February 13, 2018, 08:49:16 am
Kind of like all the stupid nicknames people came up with for BB.

I hated the nicknames for Houston, Bobby, Bret, Stan, John & now Mike. The only one I have to admit laughing at was John L, so yes I am a hypocrite!

When you have a valid criticism, if you use your mind, use your facts and use your conviction, you don't need to use insults and name calling!

hogsanity

Quote from: jabber71 on February 13, 2018, 09:30:16 am
I hated the nicknames for Houston, Bobby, Bret, Stan, John & now Mike. The only one I have to admit laughing at was John L, so yes I am a hypocrite!

When you have a valid criticism, if you use your mind, use your facts and use your conviction, you don't need to use insults and name calling!

Agreed
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

OkieBack

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on February 13, 2018, 08:15:52 am
Excuses.  The difference in perspectives that jabber71 was getting at is illustrated right here.  Some of us expect a winner.  Some of you rationalize a loser.

You might want to go read the definition of a "loser".  Last time I checked, MA has not produced a losing season.  So you can refer to him as "mediocre" however even that holds no weight.  You probably need to wake up to the real world and better understand the verbiage you utilize.  It makes you look like....well, a loser.   8)

311Hog

Quote from: OkieBack on February 13, 2018, 09:43:54 am
You might want to go read the definition of a "loser".  Last time I checked, MA has not produced a losing season.  So you can refer to him as "mediocre" however even that holds no weight.  You probably need to wake up to the real world and better understand the verbiage you utilize.  It makes you look like....well, a loser.   8)

1 of only 4 coaches who can say that as well.

Every coach and program has flaws, there isn't a "perfect" system.

hamARchy in the USA

When they hang championship banners for not having a losing season then you'll have a point.  Meanwhile, championships will continue to belong to the winners.   8)

hogsanity

So if a coach goes 17-15 every year you'd be satisfied with that?

OkieBack

Quote from: hogsanity on February 13, 2018, 10:10:42 am
So if a coach goes 17-15 every year you'd be satisfied with that?

I didn't say that either.  And even a 17-15 coach would not be considered a "loser".  Get the definition right.   

But at Arkansas, no I agree even a 17-15 record would not be tolerable.  So I know as many of you would love to be able to say Mike has only produced 17-15 seasons consistently, that's not the truth.  He has done alright so far in my book. 

Do the fans expect better?  Sure.  So does he.  And in time if he can't reach that pinnacle that most fans expect then guess what...all of the haters will get their wish and he will be gone and I will agree he needs to be gone too.  But I'm not there yet.  With this group of players, I think the Hogs are doing as well as expected.  I know teams like Vandy and Ole Miss probably wish they had our record this year.

But just be careful what you wish for because there are allot more of those 17-15 coaches trying to get hired by Arkansas than there are of the 28-4 coaches. 

jabber71

My initial point was to find out what it would take this season, with these players to realistically change your preconceived POV on Mike Anderson / this Razorback team. Not what they have done but what if anything they can do to either to make you Love them or Leave them?
IE, Marriage analogy: I know I ain't perfect, I know I done you wrong, but tell me what I can do to make it right? Is it time to look for a divorce attorney or plan next years anniversary party?

Dirty

Quote from: hogwildjoshua on February 12, 2018, 06:12:59 pm
I'm a full hater.  Mediocre Mike will continue to win just enough to keep his job and that won't cut it with me.  Fire his ass if we don't make a Sweet 16 within the next 2 seasons.

Say it ain't so!

hogwildjoshua

jst01

Quote from: jabber71 on February 13, 2018, 10:52:04 am
My initial point was to find out what it would take this season, with these players to realistically change your preconceived POV on Mike Anderson / this Razorback team. Not what they have done but what if anything they can do to either to make you Love them or Leave them?
IE, Marriage analogy: I know I ain't perfect, I know I done you wrong, but tell me what I can do to make it right? Is it time to look for a divorce attorney or plan next years anniversary party?

Your whole question is flawed. LOTS judge the team and coach on what they do when it matters..making the tourney and winning games of substance. So far in 6 years Mike has been to two tournaments and won 2 games total.  If he meets or exceeds that level this season then people might change their opinions.

Dirty

Quote from: hogwildjoshua on February 13, 2018, 11:20:04 am

So, if he makes it then you delete your account? It would make the world a better place.

jabber71

Quote from: jst01 on February 13, 2018, 11:20:35 am
Your whole question is flawed. LOTS judge the team and coach on what they do when it matters..making the tourney and winning games of substance. So far in 6 years Mike has been to two tournaments and won 2 games total.  If he meets or exceeds that level this season then people might change their opinions.

I am asking on an individual basis what it would take from your perspective to change your mind.

From my point of view, I like Mike I love his frenetic style of play, I loved the true 40 min of Hell as well, but if Mike loses 4 of the next 6 and loses the 1st game of the SEC Tourney he probably won't make the NCAA. As much as I loved his time here, the pieces were in place to be a really good team this year, he will have failed to deliver and maybe it is time for a change.

golfinpig

I don't hate the man but I do believe MA gets consistently out coached and he has shown that he's not a good recruiter. That does not make me a hater, just a realist.

hogsanity

Quote from: jabber71 on February 13, 2018, 10:52:04 am

Well, again I had them at 23-8 reg season, so they are going to have to win out to meet my expectation for the regular season. I also had them in the NCAAT, so to exceed that they have to get there and win a couple games.

jabber71

Quote from: hogsanity on February 13, 2018, 12:29:52 pm
Well, again I had them at 23-8 reg season, so they are going to have to win out to meet my expectation for the regular season. I also had them in the NCAAT, so to exceed that they have to get there and win a couple games.

I appreciate that. That's what I try to do every season, look at the team on the roster and set a reasonable expectation, did they meet it, did they exceed it or miss it. I was at 24 - 7 until it was apparent Garland was not playing this season, I lowered my expectation to 23-8. I did not expect Auburn to be this good this year & it shocked me LSU beat us twice. I now expect us to win 4 out of the last 6 including a win over KY & Auburn and I hope we draw LSU in the SEC 1st round and get some payback. If this happens I think it will give us a good chance to get to the round of 32 and maybe even to the sweet 16.

Dirty

Quote from: jabber71 on February 13, 2018, 01:28:44 pm
I appreciate that. That's what I try to do every season, look at the team on the roster and set a reasonable expectation, did they meet it, did they exceed it or miss it. I was at 24 - 7 until it was apparent Garland was not playing this season, I lowered my expectation to 23-8. I did not expect Auburn to be this good this year & it shocked me LSU beat us twice. I now expect us to win 4 out of the last 6 including a win over KY & Auburn and I hope we draw LSU in the SEC 1st round and get some payback. If this happens I think it will give us a good chance to get to the round of 32 and maybe even to the sweet 16.

Way to stay positive Jibber, I mean Jabber! ;)

jabber71

Him: glass 1/2 full
You: glass 1/2 empty
Me: Woo Hoo I got another free glass!

jabber71

While we were favored to win the game, I am very happy with how we won and who stepped up.

Does last nights game give you any reason to adjust your view of this team?

311Hog

Quote from: jabber71 on February 14, 2018, 08:01:41 am
While we were favored to win the game, I am very happy with how we won and who stepped up.

well it sort of gives  +evidence of mike's history of "bringing freshman along slowly" i say this in terms of Gabe and Darious games last night and the past few weeks.  I know it can be frustrating for some and myself early in the season.

hogwildjoshua

Quote from: jabber71 on February 14, 2018, 08:01:41 am

No becqus we beat a team with basically nothing to play for and it took us the whole game just to put them away.  Even with Ole Piss shooting like crap they were still in it.

311Hog

Quote from: hogwildjoshua on February 14, 2018, 09:19:44 am
No becqus we beat a team with basically nothing to play for and it took us the whole game just to put them away.  Even with Ole Piss shooting like crap they were still in it.

well one kid from Ole Miss was shooting lights out and seemed to care, but yeah everyone else mailed it in.

Win on the road, it isn't easy no matter what i will take the win and be happy.  We can see that 4th spot from here and it is totally doable to get it.

Dirty

Quote from: hogwildjoshua on February 14, 2018, 09:19:44 am

Fire Florida's coach!  He lost there this year!

Kevin

I am a hater to having a mediocre program, that has no national relevance. regardless, of who the coach is.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jabber71

I just asked because in the game day prediction more than half had the hogs losing anywhere from 2 points to getting blown out, so it must have surprised some to win by double digits.

Knot2brite

Not a hater nor a hugger...I just see fundamental things that have not been changed in seven years and that those things have kept the Hogs from going further in the NCAA tourney in a search for a championship. I think that the plateau for this staff could be sweet 16. That doesn't mean that MA is a terrible coach but rather he isn't able to change according to the game and therefore we will not advance under his leadership. I want him to succeed. I need him to succeed but ultimately the goal every year should be to reach a championship or be as close as we possibly can. Some years that is a loss in the first round and some years that means we win it all. This team is not void of talent but they are not getting the job done and that may be for a variety of reasons but they have not done it under the guidance of MA for the six previous years and at some point you have to cut bait or fish
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

pigture perfect

Quote from: jabber71 on February 13, 2018, 08:01:34 am
I felt the same way when Bret was called Bert, Houston was called... pick a name and Nolan was called N*****ball Nolan. Coaches are human too, and even though some are better and worse than others, we can't dehumanize them with silly names. That's what people in grade school do.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jabber71

Quote from: jabber71 on February 12, 2018, 08:52:27 am
No Joke this is the exact reply I expected to get from both sides.
This is the current odds to win the remaining games. What does the team need to do to change your point of view?

2/20   Kentucky   Home   61.5%
2/17   Texas A&M   Home   60.3%
2/13   Mississippi   Away   58.0% Win
2/27   Auburn   Home   54.5%
2/24   Alabama   Away   38.1%
3/3   Missouri   Away   37.3%

1 down, how many more and which wins would make you happy with the season?

For me
Date   Opponent   Loc   Win Odds
2/20   Kentucky   Home   62.9% Need to win just because it's Kentucky, they need to lay down and have a good bleed!
2/17   Texas A&M   Home   61.6% Need to win because it's a home game
2/27   Auburn   Home   54.9% Need to win because it's a home game against the #1 team in the leagure
2/24   Alabama   Away   38.1% probably a lose, I think they will go deep in the NCAA tourney
3/3   Missouri   Away   37.9% Want to win to secure 3rd or 4th seed in SEC tourney and probably move us 6 or 7 seed in NCAA

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jabber71 on February 15, 2018, 11:53:05 am
1 down, how many more and which wins would make you happy with the season?

For me
Date   Opponent   Loc   Win Odds
2/20   Kentucky   Home   62.9% Need to win just because it's Kentucky, they need to lay down and have a good bleed!
2/17   Texas A&M   Home   61.6% Need to win because it's a home game
2/27   Auburn   Home   54.9% Need to win because it's a home game against the #1 team in the leagure
2/24   Alabama   Away   38.1% probably a lose, I think they will go deep in the NCAA tourney
3/3   Missouri   Away   37.9% Want to win to secure 3rd or 4th seed in SEC tourney and probably move us 6 or 7 seed in NCAA

Bama has been great at home.  Horrible on the road.  Have 0 confidence they'll make a run in the NCAAT as the games won't be at home (sound familiar?).

I'm not too confident we will win either remaining road game. 

AU game is a tossup.  Should be great game for fans and television viewers unless Pearl Ball turns it into a FT contest.  I'm picking the Hogs to win the next two.   So I'll go with a 3-2 finish. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

AlmaHog2011

I guess I am a hugger. I really like Mike and am still hoping he can get this team playing at a much better clip and get to the sweet 16 this year.

I don't understand how we are so weak at the power forward spot? I just don't. And I am very concerned about next year and what we will look like. And if Gafford jumps to the NBA and he probably will. We will be at the bottom of the SEC next season.

Even if Gafford comes back next year will be tough. Mike has not been able to get athletic bigmen in here except for Gafford.  Don't see how next year we can be as good as we are now so lets go get it this year!

AlmaHog2011

We won't win either of the two road games and we better win those tough home games.

ArkansasI

Quote from: jabber71 on February 12, 2018, 08:34:23 am
Just for kicks and giggles in 1 sentence what could Mike / the team do between now and the end of the SEC tournament to admit you were wrong? In other words is there anything that can happen in the next few weeks to change your mind.
Have the Hogs playing well enough to get me excited about the NCAA Tournament.

hogsanity

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 15, 2018, 12:10:25 pm
We won't win either of the two road games and we better win those tough home games.

Pretty weird to see their best % chance of winning is against KY. That team is spiraling down fast.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2018, 01:41:04 pm
Pretty weird to see their best % chance of winning is against KY. That team is spiraling down fast.

We have to win that game and all the home games. But you are right that is weird and I bet Calipari$$$ is getting barbecued by their fans..I love it.

jst01

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 15, 2018, 02:04:11 pm
We have to win that game and all the home games. But you are right that is weird and I bet Calipari$$$ is getting barbecued by their fans..I love it.

I'm in Kentucky now and the morning radio show is a blast after UK loses.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: jst01 on February 15, 2018, 03:45:58 pm
I'm in Kentucky now and the morning radio show is a blast after UK loses.
I would tune in just to hear that..I bet it is a blast.

RacinRazorback

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 15, 2018, 06:53:16 pm

Go to the forums on their bball sites, its quite entertaining! If they lose to us at BWA next week they will set their hair on fire...........and calislimmys ass! LOL WPS!

liljo

Hugger: I love the Hogs, and think Coach Anderson is an excellent coach and even better man. He handles himself with class, has solidified our program, and has some really good talent on the way.

I never set preseason expectations. 18-22 year old kids, I have found, are very difficult to predict.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

jabber71

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 15, 2018, 02:04:11 pm

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 15, 2018, 06:53:16 pm

This is the genius of Calipari, he will quit or get fired because he lost the fire to coach / lost the team, 1 year before the sanctions come.... Then he will resurface in a year or two somewhere else.

He is like a used car dealer always moving dealerships just before all of his lies hit the fan! He did it at U Mass, Memphis and now the stage is set at KY. Of all the current head coaches he, in my opinion, is the epitome of a sleazy, win at all cost, narcissistic cheater. :puke:

Go Big Blue! ;)

hogsanity

Quote from: jabber71 on February 16, 2018, 09:44:44 am
This is the genius of Calipari, he will quit or get fired because he lost the fire to coach / lost the team, 1 year before the sanctions come.... Then he will resurface in a year or two somewhere else.

He is like a used car dealer always moving dealerships just before all of his lies hit the fan! He did it at U Mass, Memphis and now the stage is set at KY. Of all the current head coaches he, in my opinion, is the epitome of a sleazy, win at all cost, narcissistic cheater. :puke:

Go Big Blue! ;)

So then he is a major college coach, because lots of them have done this or similar things. They bail when they see trouble coming, either with the NCAA or with a downturn in talent ( see Urban at Fla ) then they pop up at a new job.

texas tush hog

The greatest basketball coach of all time, John Wooden, was mediocre from 1957 to 1963. 102-59 over that span (Mike is 146-82 over a similar span).  Then viola, ten NCAA championships in twelve years. I know UCLA is glad they did not fire mediocre John in 1963.