Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Haters & Huggers

Started by jabber71, February 12, 2018, 08:34:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jabber71

Just for kicks and giggles in 1 sentence what could Mike / the team do between now and the end of the SEC tournament to admit you were wrong? In other words is there anything that can happen in the next few weeks to change your mind.
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

Dirty

jabber71

Quote from: Dirty on February 12, 2018, 08:37:38 am
No!  Me is a hugger!

No Joke this is the exact reply I expected to get from both sides.
This is the current odds to win the remaining games. What does the team need to do to change your point of view?

2/20   Kentucky   Home   61.5%
2/17   Texas A&M   Home   60.3%
2/13   Mississippi   Away   58.0%
2/27   Auburn   Home   54.5%
2/24   Alabama   Away   38.1%
3/3   Missouri   Away   37.3%
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

Rbill

I'm still feeling confused by recent performances and unsure if we're back. Win against ole miss and I'll be very excited for A&M. Win against A&M too and I'll even feel confidence. If complete and total incompetency rears its ugly head in either of those games then I'll be back at square one feeling confused.

jabber71

Quote from: Rbill on February 12, 2018, 08:53:06 am
I'm still feeling confused by recent performances and unsure if we're back. Win against ole miss and I'll be very excited for A&M. Win against A&M too and I'll even feel confidence. If complete and total incompetency rears its ugly head in either of those games then I'll be back at square one feeling confused.

4 sentences > then 1 ;), and still no declaration but I appreciate for POV. I do like how you ended it in a mathematical equation so you set the bar

How about this your 1 sentence must be in the 8th grade geometry proof formula  (IF MIKE does X then I feel Y)

hogwood

Not sure what you are asking... But I think it is entirely possible we can win out and win the SEC Tournament too. I also think it is entirely possible we go .500 the rest of the way and have a mediocre showing in the SECT. I think it is very unlikely we do worse than 20-11. IMO we'll be 22-9 (11-7) heading into SECT. Loss comes @ Alabama.

Ironhawg

Win the remaining regular season games, make a decent showing in the SEC tournament by winning a couple of games, get to the Sweet 16.

pigture perfect

I'll let others label me as to which side I fall on. I'm just a fan who feels like this team is like an episode of Get Smart every time we take the court. Control Vs. Kaos.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

3kgthog

There's nothing they could do because the NCAAT is the only thing that matters and Mike isn't getting this team out of the first weekend.

jabber71

Quote from: hogwood on February 12, 2018, 09:07:47 am
Not sure what you are asking... But I think it is entirely possible we can win out and win the SEC Tournament too. I also think it is entirely possible we go .500 the rest of the way and have a mediocre showing in the SECT. I think it is very unlikely we do worse than 20-11. IMO we'll be 22-9 (11-7) heading into SECT. Loss comes @ Alabama.

Sorry let me try again

Example

I am a hater: If Mike wins 4 of the last 6 and 1 in the SEC tourney then I will admit he did a good job.

I am a hugger: If Mike wins 2 of the last 6 and loses by double digit in at least 2 then Mike failed this season.

jst01

I am a doubter (i.e. don't fully trust the methods):  If the Hogs win more games than they lose to end the season and play up to their full potential in the tourney, I will admit Mike did well.

lynbug

First....I don't think there are very many haters on this board.  Just hog fans who hate how THEY feel about an avoidable loss and if they're like me they just need to vent.  And I think we must go 4-2 and win 1 or 2 in the SECT.  Hope I'm wrong about those numbers.

The_Iceman

Mike will not achieve this roster's full potential this season, which is disappointing. We should have been competing for the SEC title, especially considering the current standings.

If Mike just makes the NCAA Tournament this year, I'll be satisfied with him moving forward.

However, looking at the final 6 games, that is not even close to a sure thing. Winning just 3 of these final 6 will be very difficult. I don't think anything less than 9-9 will get us in.

If Mike ends up taking us to the NIT in 2018, and then likely again in 2019, there is no justification for keeping him around.

jabber71

My definition of Hater V Hugger:

A hater may not be prejudiced or have any close minded social views but is done with Mike and is convinced he has to go before they will be happy.

A hugger may not be prejudiced or have any close minded social views but is convinced Mike is the answer and will be successful here.

Rome26

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 12, 2018, 09:47:26 am
Mike will not achieve this roster's full potential this season, which is disappointing. We should have been competing for the SEC title, especially considering the current standings.

If Mike just makes the NCAA Tournament this year, I'll be satisfied with him moving forward.

However, looking at the final 6 games, that is not even close to a sure thing. Winning just 3 of these final 6 will be very difficult. I don't think anything less than 9-9 will get us in.

If Mike ends up taking us to the NIT in 2018, and then likely again in 2019, there is no justification for keeping him around.

This roster isn't as good as you think it is.

Razorback_Mack

Most basketball people had "this roster" picked to finish anywhere from 6th to 8th preseason. I guess if you wanna have rose colored glasses and say we're stacked go ahead. That's not the case.

I think if we somehow finish top 4 the hogs exceeded expectations during the regular season. Sure prognosticators get it wrong. Got it wrong with Auburn and Tenneseee.

But it's not hard to see which teams have the most talent. We're not one of those teams. We've got two guards that can score the piss out of it and a raw young big man. What else do we have?

HogFaninMemphis

I fall somewhere in the middle of this situation. I acknowledge that MA isn't getting fired, but I expect an NCAAT berth next year if not this one.
That being said, if we go better than 4-2 to close out the season, I will be surprised and excited for the SECT and NCAAT, and I'll admit that he squeezed more out of this team than I expected him to do so.
If the team collapses the rest of the way, I won't become a full-on hater, but I'll be at the point of demanding an NCAAT berth next season or get my torch lit.
I don't really expect us to do better than 4-2 and I don't expect us to collapse. MA has shown consistently that he can keep decent teams from collapsing, because he doesn't lose his guys and is a pretty good leader. The teams that did collapse, like 2015-2016, just weren't good teams and finally ran out of gas.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Breems

I hug wins and hate losses. I win.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

PonderinHog

Haters to the left of me, huggers to the right...

Razorbackers

We better make it AT LEAST past the first round of the NCAA tournament this year or I'm super done with him.

I was already starting to sour, but he's got everything he needs for a team to make a run. If he can't develop these guys into a dangerous post season team then he never will have one.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 12, 2018, 10:01:43 am
Most basketball people had "this roster" picked to finish anywhere from 6th to 8th preseason. I guess if you wanna have rose colored glasses and say we're stacked go ahead. That's not the case.

I think if we somehow finish top 4 the hogs exceeded expectations during the regular season. Sure prognosticators get it wrong. Got it wrong with Auburn and Tenneseee.

Tennessee was #13, Auburn was #9, and Kentucky was #1.

You are right, if we finish 4th, that will be an excellent job from Mike. But that isn't very likely. We will be lucky to go 3-3 to finish the season.

Polecat

I'd be happy with a 10-8 or even 9-9 conference mark at this point.

Looking back, if we would have won the close one at MSU and held serve against LSU at home, we'd be in a much better spot right now
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Razorbackers

But it's not hard to see which teams have the most talent. We're not one of those teams. We've got two guards that can score the piss out of it and a raw young big man. What else do we have?

Wasn't the big thing preseason from Mike fans that he always finishes ahead of projections?

hogsanity

Quote from: jabber71 on February 12, 2018, 08:34:23 am
Just for kicks and giggles in 1 sentence what could Mike / the team do between now and the end of the SEC tournament to admit you were wrong? In other words is there anything that can happen in the next few weeks to change your mind.

Wrong about what? People call me a hater because I said when he was Mike would do exactly what he has done. Have the Hogs on the bubble alot, make the ncaat as a mid to low seed ( 7-11 ) most times they do make it. Not recruit very well. Basically win just enough to keep his job. And that is exactly what he has done.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jabber71

Quote from: hogsanity on February 12, 2018, 10:27:52 am
Wrong about what? People call me a hater because I said when he was Mike would do exactly what he has done. Have the Hogs on the bubble alot, make the ncaat as a mid to low seed ( 7-11 ) most times they do make it. Not recruit very well. Basically win just enough to keep his job. And that is exactly what he has done.

So this is the perfect question for you, look in the mirror and ask yourself this "What if anything can Mike do between now and the end of the SEC tourney for you to say Mike did a good to better job then you thought?"

BDSCT51

Neither a hater nor a hugger. However, MA has seriously underachieved this year given the talent level on our team and across the league. In between Houston, LSU (X2!), and MS State I'm just dumbfounded and confused.
Bleeding Razorback Red

hogsanity

Quote from: jabber71 on February 12, 2018, 10:32:55 am
So this is the perfect question for you, look in the mirror and ask yourself this "What if anything can Mike do between now and the end of the SEC tourney for you to say Mike did a good to better job then you thought?"

I predicted, in the season prediction thread, 23-8 this regular season and a ncaat bid. So if they go 4-2 or even 3-3 the last 6 games they will get close to what I thought they would do this season. When I looked at this season I saw a team with SR guards that can score and that goes a long way in today's college basketball. But this season also points out one of Mike's flaws, he always has unbalanced teams. This team will lose 7 players, which means next year they will basically be relying on newcomers, Hall, and Gafford ( if he stays ).
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RaisinHog

I'm a hugger ... But if we miss the tourny I would squeeze the life out of him with my hug..

hogsanity

Quote from: Polecat on February 12, 2018, 10:15:52 am
I'd be happy with a 10-8 or even 9-9 conference mark at this point.

Looking back, if we would have won the close one at MSU and held serve against LSU at home, we'd be in a much better spot right now

Looking back, if they had lost the close ones to TN, GA, Mizzu, Om and OSU they'd be praying to make the NIT. 5 wins by a total of 10 or 11 pts.

OkieBack

With this particular team... I can't answer this question because this season is not debatable.  I think Mike's continued tenure hinges on next season's recruits and performance.  But let me take a stab:

I am a hater:  If Mike gets to the Final 4, apologizes to the fans for his team's poor performance during the regular season, AND takes a pay cut...I might consider keeping him on board for just 1 more year.  But my rants to fire him will begin again October 15, 2018.

How's that?

jabber71

Quote from: OkieBack on February 12, 2018, 10:45:12 am
With this particular team... I can't answer this question because this season is not debatable.  I think Mike's continued tenure hinges on next season's recruits and performance.  But let me take a stab:

I am a hater:  If Mike gets to the Final 4, apologizes to the fans for his team's poor performance during the regular season, AND takes a pay cut...I might consider keeping him on board for just 1 more year.  But my rants to fire him will begin again October 15, 2018.

How's that?

But how do you really feel?  ;D

PonderinHog

TushCrush

"You don't ask nobody to give what they can't give, or be what they can't be. You've learnt that, you got a head start on heartbreak."  Claude Dee Moran Jr.

311Hog

Hugger - Nothing

To me the last 6 don't matter as long as he makes the dance and makes an impact there.

I am done caring about the regular season, i only care about the big dance and what we do there (and that we are in it).

Lets say sweet sixteen this year.  HUGE success and looking forward to next year.

Miss the dance or bounced in the first round.  Huge disappointment, hope he has something in the bag for next year if he is still around.

OkieBack

Quote from: jabber71 on February 12, 2018, 10:46:50 am
But how do you really feel?  ;D

I am neither a hater nor a hugger.  MA has brought positives back to this program.  Are his teams meeting expectations?  To some, yes.  To others, no.  As Nolan would probably even tell you...winning shuts a helluva lot of complainers up. 

Rome26

Quote from: 311Hog on February 12, 2018, 11:05:32 am
Hugger - Nothing

To me the last 6 don't matter as long as he makes the dance and makes an impact there.

I am done caring about the regular season, i only care about the big dance and what we do there (and that we are in it).

Lets say sweet sixteen this year.  HUGE success and looking forward to next year.

Miss the dance or bounced in the first round.  Huge disappointment, hope he has something in the bag for next year if he is still around.

This is exactly how I feel.

311Hog

Quote from: Rome26 on February 12, 2018, 11:13:14 am
This is exactly how I feel.

to me we are at the point now with Mike where making the dance every year should/will become normal (again).  How far we go in it will determine the good or bad of the season at the end.

popcornhog

I'm pretty much in Mike's camp but I could fall into either camp by year's end.

I'd be 100% on the Mike train if we win out at home and get at least one more road win.

If don't win another road game and lose a couple at home and miss the tourney, I'd be in favor of exploring other options.
WPS

USChog

Only win 2 more games in conference.

Rome26

Quote from: 311Hog on February 12, 2018, 11:18:00 am
to me we are at the point now with Mike where making the dance every year should/will become normal (again).  How far we go in it will determine the good or bad of the season at the end.

If you're making the tourney every year the deep runs will come. The tournament is all about the draw.

3of5-2

You are correct on those 3, but who is responsible for not having anything else?

hogsanity

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 12, 2018, 02:16:28 pm
You are correct on those 3, but who is responsible for not having anything else?

What is funny too is when the media or coaches or both predict the Hogs will be 6-8 people get here and squawk about no respect, this team has talent, they do'n know what they are talking about, etc.  Then, when things do not go really well, the same people want to point out that the Hogs were picked 6-8, like it is fine they are going to finish in that range.

Which is it, the media/coaches were right and this team was not talented enough to do better, which means in yr 7 Mike had not recruited very well. Or, this team had top 4 in the sec talent, and they finished 6-8, which means they under achieved.

311Hog

Well things change.   At the beginning of the season after beating Oklahoma the Hogs looked under valued and disrespected.  Turns out they are probably just a bit better than projected.

I mean it really is Macon/Barford and Gafford when he doesn't get in foul trouble.

rmcchris

Quit switching our bigs on their guards out high which allows wide open threes, dunks or a layup by the guard........

hawginbigd1

Quote from: jabber71 on February 12, 2018, 08:52:27 am
No Joke this is the exact reply I expected to get from both sides.
This is the current odds to win the remaining games. What does the team need to do to change your point of view?

2/20   Kentucky   Home   61.5%
2/17   Texas A&M   Home   60.3%
2/13   Mississippi   Away   58.0%
2/27   Auburn   Home   54.5%
2/24   Alabama   Away   38.1%
3/3   Missouri   Away   37.3%
Win the 4 are favoring us, and not get blown out in any of them, make it to the semi's or better in the tournament. I would consider that an acceptable Regular season.

Dr. Starcs

You said this last year.

Dirty

bvillepig

Quote from: BDSCT51 on February 12, 2018, 10:34:18 am
Neither a hater nor a hugger. However, MA has seriously underachieved this year given the talent level on our team and across the league. In between Houston, LSU (X2!), and MS State I'm just dumbfounded and confused.
I am neither a hater nor a hugger but I think this team has played to their capability.  We have 2 very good guards and an NBA prospect who has had an up and down freshman year that needs some strength. If we had one more power player that could score we would be set but we don't so we are about where I expected.

OkieBack

Quote from: bvillepig on February 12, 2018, 04:14:27 pm
I am neither a hater nor a hugger but I think this team has played to their capability.  We have 2 very good guards and an NBA prospect who has had an up and down freshman year that needs some strength. If we had one more power player that could score we would be set but we don't so we are about where I expected.

That just happened.  I agree.  We find a couple of missing pieces to the puzzle, add a little maturity to our bench and bingo, this team would look much more dominant I think. 

Paul

Quote from: hogwood on February 12, 2018, 09:07:47 am
I think with Mike's preferred style, like Nolan's, it'll be very difficult to win the tournament due to the wear & tear on the guards pressing & switching for 3-4 straight days.  Unless he adds a solid half court game I would be shocked to see MA's team ever win the tournament.  Bet's off if we ever have 6 long athletic guards though.