Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting quote by Vandy coach Bryce Drew

Started by checkraiser88, February 11, 2018, 05:37:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

Watching his post game he took a jab at us defensively, saying they missed a lot of wide open looks. Then he said "Arkansas speeds up the game, there are no X's and O's with them, guys just have to make plays"...Am I reading to much into this? He seems to really not respect our style of ball.

SugarHillGaHog

Quote from: checkraiser88 on February 11, 2018, 05:37:48 pm
Watching his post game he took a jab at us defensively, saying they missed a lot of wide open looks. Then he said "Arkansas speeds up the game, there are no X's and O's with them, guys just have to make plays"...Am I reading to much into this? He seems to really not respect our style of ball.

Do you really care if he respects it or not as long as Vandy has an L and the Hogs have a W?  I do not.

wheelspigharvey

arkansas1994

don't care what the last place teams coach says

I think you are reading too much into it. Not an insult.

jst01

To me he is saying, you can't x and o against AR defense bc AR plays in a way that tendencies are hard to recognize.

BannerMountainMan

So we beat a team by 20 and the OP tries to start another dumb thread
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Breems

Quote from: jst01 on February 11, 2018, 05:43:25 pm
To me he is saying, you can't x and o against AR defense bc AR plays in a way that tendencies are hard to recognize.

Yeah, this is what he's saying.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Tejano Jawg

I think he's saying what a lot of people here say. I didn't get any insult, just the fact that we really don't have an offense that moves like a precision Swiss watch.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

raz1965

mbgrulz

He is just saying that the way we play is going to take you out of most of your sets, and just force guys to make plays. He's right. It's not a diss by any means.

Randohoggie

Such a bad post, but a really good look into how your mind works.

He's not saying anything dozens of coaches haven't said before him - Arkansas speeds things up and takes you out of your offense, so guys just have to make plays.  Not even close to being a shot at Arkansas.

TeufelHog

Many posters on Hogville have been saying it for years . . . CMAs style of play is pick-up "street-ball."  Get the best players you can and "let the players make the plays."  There are very few, if any, called offensive/defensive plays.

Randohoggie

Quote from: TeufelHog on February 11, 2018, 07:38:20 pm
Many posters on Hogville have been saying it for years . . . CMAs style of play is pick-up "street-ball."  Get the best players you can and "let the players make the plays."  There are very few, if any, called offensive/defensive plays.

Drew is talking about THEIR X's and O's, not Arkansas.  As in the Arkansas D makes them throw out THEIR offense and just make plays.

Letsroll1200

Three straight wins over Vanderbilt! I really don't care what he thinks. Just keep taking these L's.

golfinpig

He's saying that they had a dozen or more wide open 3's but couldn't hit them. That's why when we play a team that has a hot shooting night we can lose even if we shoot over 50% and out rebound them which has happened.

Athog

First of all I don't believe that "street ball" will win and second I don't necessarily believe that is what MA is trying to do! Some yes but not as a rule.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: jst01 on February 11, 2018, 05:43:25 pm

And I agree with the Vandy Coach.  We are hard to design plays to work against us but if you have players who can make plays and hit shots then it is our players against your players playing school yard ball and who ever makes the most plays wins.  Vandy had good shots but they just did not fall.  Vandy is signing a great class next year but right now they are not real talented.

We do not have the length or the bigs inside to beat a top 35 teams if their players are making plays and hitting their shots because we are not long enough or athletic enough to make you take bad shots plus right now we only have 2 players consistently scoring.  Mike like all coaches needs his type players to win.  Next years class is going in the right direction.  Lets hope our high schools can continue to turn out the studs.

hawgfan4life

Just because some people repeat something for years doesn't make it true.  A lot of people say the Holocaust never happened.  A lot of people say that we never landed on the moon.  Republicans and Democrats both say they are for the middle class...

Coach was complimenting AR. People find what they want.

theFlyingHog

GoHogs1091

I took it that he is saying against the Hogs you get a lot of open looks, and you have to make the plays (make the shots, which they didn't). 

Other teams such as North Carolina, Mississippi State, LSU, and Auburn made the shots during the voluminous open looks.

Rbill

You can interpret it two ways. Either X's and O's are not possible because of our pressure, or X's and O's are not needed because we'll give you lots of easy open looks. You simply have to make them to beat us. I tend to think the latter is still true. Maybe we sped them up and got in their head. But I left the game thinking Vanderbilt missed an unbelievable number of open looks. The percentage was so unbelievably bad I honestly and truly couldn't tell if it was us or them. A lot of their shots were so wide open, I left trying to figure out if our defense played well.

3kgthog

Teams with better coaches haven't found it hard to play a little tic tac toe with us. I suspect more than a chuckle or two has been had in private while game planning for this Hog team. I imagine it was like Bob Stoops prepping his team for Nutt's offense in the '02 Cotton Bowl.

Hogimus Prime

I always felt like the reason teams will have a player or two have career nights against the Hogs, especially guards, is they can't run their teams normal X's and O's and play on instinct and natural ability. Instead of running set plays and such they just play. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 12, 2018, 03:36:03 am
Teams with better coaches haven't found it hard to play a little tic tac toe with us. I suspect more than a chuckle or two has been had in private while game planning for this Hog team. I imagine it was like Bob Stoops prepping his team for Nutt's offense in the '02 Cotton Bowl.

I was at that game sitting right in the middle of an OU contingent. Not much to cheer about.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Jim Harris

not at all. I think he's simply stating that: Playing Arkansas requires your guys to make plays. It's not out there in front of you every time downcourt on offense. Traps and defensive movement don't come from the same places each time downcourt with Arkansas. You have to recognize where the open man is. I think if he watches the film, he'll see more perimeter defense than what he night have expected. Arkansas sold out to guard the perimeter and it was the right move. Gafford could hold his own.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

elksnort

I heard him say this. I don't think it was a disrespectful at all. I think he was just saying the truth. CMA'S style is not about out x and o ing any body. The system calls for instinct, hustle and great shooting. Just the way it is.

elksnort

Quote from: Randohoggie on February 11, 2018, 07:50:17 pm
Drew is talking about THEIR X's and O's, not Arkansas.  As in the Arkansas D makes them throw out THEIR offense and just make plays.
I think you might not have heard this correctly. Regardless, it was not an insult.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Randohoggie on February 11, 2018, 07:50:17 pm

Hogs up! Covid down!

Randohoggie

Quote from: elksnort on February 12, 2018, 11:23:43 am
I think you might not have heard this correctly. Regardless, it was not an insult.

No, I heard it correctly.  He is saying, Arkansas takes you out of your offense and your guys just have to make plays.  Just what I said.

daBoar

I'm not sure what Bryce was saying.  Clearly playing the Hogs in Fayetteville was a tough draw for Vandy this late in the season.  The Hogs held Vandy to only 54 points.  That was their second lowest output for the season, just following their 42 points against Virginia.  Vandy also only shot 25% for the whole game; that was also their second lowest output of the season, just behind the 23% against Virginia.  However, Vandy only mustered 11.5% from the three point line; their lowest output of the season and their lowest number of made 3's all season (at 3).