Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MA’s System

Started by hawgfan4life, February 11, 2018, 08:58:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

naturalbornpigger

Quote from: WoodyHog on February 12, 2018, 02:40:40 pm
http://www.coachesclipboard.net/MotionOffense.html

We run a motion offense.  You are right that there are not a lot of "plays" -- instead there are principles and understandings.  I don't know if you are expecting players to look to the sideline for a play every time down, or hold up a finger with some play, but basketball doesn't really work like that beyond the high school level.  Understanding things like spacing, matchups, screens, etc. is more important and rigid "plays".
Thanks Woody.  I agree set plays are not the answer- with the exception of out of bounds plays which we don't seem to run either.  Further I agree we run a motion offense in theory but our execution  is awful.  Our action away from the ball is virtually non existent.  No cuts through the lane, no back picks, no inside out play.  Too much action at the top of the key, too little everywhere else. 

zebradynasty

Quote from: WoodyHog on February 12, 2018, 02:40:40 pm
http://www.coachesclipboard.net/MotionOffense.html

We run a motion offense.  You are right that there are not a lot of "plays" -- instead there are principles and understandings.  I don't know if you are expecting players to look to the sideline for a play every time down, or hold up a finger with some play, but basketball doesn't really work like that beyond the high school level.  Understanding things like spacing, matchups, screens, etc. is more important and rigid "plays".

Thank you! I get sick of hearing we don't run a offense.

jst01

Quote from: naturalbornpigger on February 12, 2018, 02:56:32 pm
Thanks Woody.  I agree set plays are not the answer- with the exception of out of bounds plays which we don't seem to run either.  Further I agree we run a motion offense in theory but our execution  is awful.  Our action away from the ball is virtually non existent.  No cuts through the lane, no back picks, no inside out play.  Too much action at the top of the key, too little everywhere else. 

This is exactly right.  Normally the 4 comes out for a ball screen and the guard either drives and passes for a shot, or the guard tries to back up and shoot a 3.  Very, very rarely do you see simple baseline double screens or easy curl screens to open up a guy moving towards the basket. 

hawgfan4life

Just because a poster posts critical questions doesn't make them a hater and not all negative posters are haters, but I am referring to a small percentage that create thread after thread with no intent but to undermine the coach, the schemes, the players, and etc.  We have posters creating threads to call out fans for not coming on here to be critical of the coach when the team loses.  I am sick of the posters that get on every game thread and dominate the board with negative crap as soon as the game starts and disappear until the next bad play or game.  Whenever someone offers a positive post or a valid point that explains something negative, they hammer the poster as blindly supporting the coach.  If anybody doesn't fit that category, I am fine with them openly debating concerns that they have and I would likely agree with some of their facts.  For the others I described, they are haters more than fans.

naturalbornpigger

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 12, 2018, 03:06:08 pm
Thank you! I get sick of hearing we don't run a offense.
Perhaps we should debate the difference between "having" an offense and "running" an offense.

hawgfan4life

Why would any fan answer a question about what our strategy is against a certain defense or anything else by someone that is bating them into a thesis on their basketball knowledge and why the coach is awful for not doing those things? 

Regarding SEC stats rjrr posted, are those for this year alone or for all years combined? Here is my rebuttal.  When MA gets better players, those stats will get better.  When those stats get better, we will be winning more games.  For those that will immediately post it is year such and such and he should have better players.  I agree. He should have better players.  The good news is that he has recruits coming in and committed the following two years that will significantly improve our roster.  We had one of the best recruits that would have been a difference maker at guard redshirt this year due to medical reasons.  Next year and the following has quality players coming into the program that appear to be better fit for his system.  I agree he should have had some already, but he has what he has and it isn't like this team is horrible right now like many want to believe. 

Maybe they will fall on their face and not get into any tournament and maybe they will be mediocre to finish and squeak into the NIT or NCAA and leave early.  Maybe they will Ball big time the rest of the way and finish impressive.  At this point, we have no idea what they will do.  Our record today is equal to A&M that was a top 5 team for awhile and Kentucky.  Equal or better than Syracuse, Florida State, Kansas State, OU, Seton Hall, Indiana, and better than many other major programs that are traditionally good in basketball.

Fans act like we are supposed to be winning like Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, and other major programs.  We have never been at that level consistently.  We were closer to it than we are now for a lot of years, but that was in the 80s and mid 90s.  It has been 20 years since we thought about being that good and the entire game of basketball is different now than it was then with television, shoe money, one and done, handlers for recruits, and a host of other dynamics.  Should fans expect to be better, strive to be better, etc.?  Absolutely, but it is asinine to rant and rave on every post about the coach being incompetent when it isn't even close to being accurate. 

Maybe MA is a career 63-65% coach.  Most aren't that good.  Even with that, he will likely have teams that jump up and exceed that average like he did at Alabama Birmingham and at Missouri.  He has recruits coming in that appear to be able to do that very thing, but fans want to run him off because they are convinced AR should be competing with KY every year for conference dominance.  That hasn't worked out too well for the past couple of decades in football or in basketball for a reason and it isn't just because the coaches have been horrible.

cram224

Do y'all agree that Gafford plays the 5 spot? My concern, is our roster. Everybody is saying Chaney is a 4. If we lose DG and don't replace him at the 5 spot that's a hole in the roster. You could get by with 2 really strong power forwards but it doesn't seem we will have 2 PF for next year. It seems like when the NCAAT comes around the game slows down. Teams are forced to play more half court offense and the 4 and 5 spot becomes more important. I like the way this thread is going. I'm no expert, yet I see glaring weakness in our post play. We don't get more than one really good post players at a time. Seems like a roster full of wing players. Again thanks for a good thread for once.

Hogimus Prime

Any coach with the right talent for their system should be successful.  If Roy Williams doesn't get 4 to 5 atheltic 6'9"-6'11" bigs and a good point guard is he winning? Probably not. Same with Bill Self and Coach Cal. I think Coach K and Coach Izzo are probably very few elite coaches that could win without elite talent.

MA on paper has the type players for his system next year if Gafford returns, but they will be young and I'm not sure the fan base is patient enough to wait another season or two for those players to gel and get it

rljjr

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 12, 2018, 04:00:01 pm
Regarding SEC stats rjrr posted, are those for this year alone or for all years combined?

Hey friend, that's just this season and just for SEC games.

mizzouman

Quote from: cram224 on February 12, 2018, 05:37:46 pm
Do y'all agree that Gafford plays the 5 spot? My concern, is our roster. Everybody is saying Chaney is a 4. If we lose DG and don't replace him at the 5 spot that's a hole in the roster. You could get by with 2 really strong power forwards but it doesn't seem we will have 2 PF for next year. It seems like when the NCAAT comes around the game slows down. Teams are forced to play more half court offense and the 4 and 5 spot becomes more important. I like the way this thread is going. I'm no expert, yet I see glaring weakness in our post play. We don't get more than one really good post players at a time. Seems like a roster full of wing players. Again thanks for a good thread for once.
MA doesn't have a traditional 1-5 type players.  MA will play Gafford wherever his strengths can be highlighted.