Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

These last 6 games are make or break

Started by Piglet, February 11, 2018, 08:55:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Piglet

These last 6 games could put us out of the tournament or shoot us up in the tournament seeding.  The last 2 games have given me hope the hogs are putting more effort into defense, but we have to be realistic - the games were at home and Vanderbilt and South Carolina are not among the elite teams in the league this year.  The league's elite are in the next 6 games.

If we can win the home games against the elite, steal one on the road from a team like Ole Miss, and win a couple in the SEC tournament, I can forsee the Razorbacks getting a 6 or 7 seed. To be honest, other than sweating being on the bubble, I would rather be a 10 seed than a 8 or 9.  Winning the first one would give us a better chance at the sweet 16.

It's going to be nail-biting finish to the season, but it is what makes basketball so enjoyable.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

raz1965

Yes, it is equally important for ever SEC team down the stretch. Tough conference, glad to see the Hogs trending in the right direction.

hobhog

Agree. 4-2 minimum I think to get in NCAA. Otherwise I'll be a little worried. Split them down the stretch and that makes us 20-11 and needing win in sec tourney to get off bubble. As crazy as conference is this year I don't want to have to do it that way.

riccoar

Winning the 3 remaining at home would be huge, and possibly enough to get you a punch to NCAAT.  Seeing as Ole Miss is next to last in league, that needs to be a road win.  There is a good chance Kentucky finishes .500 in the league and I guarantee Kentucky is making the NCAAT.

sadhogfan

Quote from: hobhog on February 11, 2018, 10:46:12 am
Agree. 4-2 minimum I think to get in NCAA. Otherwise I'll be a little worried. Split them down the stretch and that makes us 20-11 and needing win in sec tourney to get off bubble. As crazy as conference is this year I don't want to have to do it that way.

3-3 will get us in, because all of our remaining games are either on the road (Ole Miss, Alabama, Mizzou) or against projected tournament teams (A&M, Kentucky, Auburn), or both (Alabama, Mizzou). So if we can get three more wins, they will all be good wins.

hawg1221

Quote from: sadhogfan on February 11, 2018, 11:14:44 am
3-3 will get us in, because all of our remaining games are either on the road (Ole Miss, Alabama, Mizzou) or against projected tournament teams (A&M, Kentucky, Auburn), or both (Alabama, Mizzou). So if we can get three more wins, they will all be good wins.

You're probably right. There's not a lot of wiggle room here down the stretch. According to the talking heads, they are on the bubble. They need to get focused and stop laying eggs down the stretch.

bphi11ips

It will be tough. 4 of last 6 are against teams currently in top 22 RPI. 3 of those are at home. Another is on the road against number 31 Alabama and 100
Ole Miss, who has a 27-22 advantage over Arkansas in SEC games.

RPI currently has Hogs at 30.  They would seem to hold serve with 3 wins, but it will be tough. That and one SEC tournament win should get them in NCAA.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 11, 2018, 01:13:21 pm
It will be tough. 4 of last 6 are against teams currently in top 22 RPI. 3 of those are at home. Another is on the road against number 31 Alabama and 100
Ole Miss, who has a 27-22 advantage over Arkansas in SEC games.

RPI currently has Hogs at 30.  They would seem to hold serve with 3 wins, but it will be tough. That and one SEC tournament win should get them in NCAA.

4-2 with wins over Ole Miss, A&M, Kentucky and Missouri. Have to come out and jump on Ole Miss early. Their players are almost ready to quit.

hobhog

3-3 and lose first sec tourney game and we are 20-12. I don't like our chances there and would be huge disappointment. We need to get on a late roll.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: riccoar on February 11, 2018, 11:14:11 am
Winning the 3 remaining at home would be huge, and possibly enough to get you a punch to NCAAT.  Seeing as Ole Miss is next to last in league, that needs to be a road win.  There is a good chance Kentucky finishes .500 in the league and I guarantee Kentucky is making the NCAAT.

Might want to check your facts. SEC we are tied. Mississippi is one game ahead of the Hogs overall.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

nwahogfan1

I wonder how many of these next games we will be favored?  Ole Miss.   Yes but Bama and Miissouri on the road probable not.  UK is dropping games and in the polls but still dangerous,  A&M is hot now and Auburn is going to win the regular season.    We will have to be playing our best ball to finish 3-3 and if we do we definitely get in. 

riccoar

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on February 11, 2018, 04:21:22 pm
Might want to check your facts. SEC we are tied. Mississippi is one game ahead of the Hogs overall.
Might want to put on your reading glasses and check your's.  Ole Miss is in next to last place.  Vandy is dead last.  We are tied with Mississippi State, Kentucky, A&M at 6-6.

The_Iceman

There is not a remaining game that we couldn't lose. I don't see us going any better than 3-3.

riccoar

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 12, 2018, 06:58:13 am
There is not a remaining game that we couldn't lose. I don't see us going any better than 3-3.
But who those 3 wins come against could be the make or break.  Arkansas is capable enough to win the 3 we have at home.  Ironically, Kentucky will be the easiest of those 3.

mizzouman

I think any combination of 3-3 gets you in unless Mizzou and Alabama tank the rest of the season.  Even then, I think you're safe.  To improve seeding, go 4-2 or 3-3 and win a couple in the SECT.  Go 2-4 and it's the NIT.

However, Ole Miss is a gimme really.  They are going downhill fast.  So, really go 2-3 the rest of the way which means 2 wins against:  A&M (they are playing lights out), Kentucky (always tough), @Bama (tough game but winnable), Auburn (very good team despite the FBI, and @Mizzou (senior night maybe with MPJ playing but winnable). 

The_Iceman

Quote from: mizzouman on February 12, 2018, 07:59:19 am
I think any combination of 3-3 gets you in unless Mizzou and Alabama tank the rest of the season.  Even then, I think you're safe.  To improve seeding, go 4-2 or 3-3 and win a couple in the SECT.  Go 2-4 and it's the NIT.

However, Ole Miss is a gimme really.  They are going downhill fast.  So, really go 2-3 the rest of the way which means 2 wins against:  A&M (they are playing lights out), Kentucky (always tough), @Bama (tough game but winnable), Auburn (very good team despite the FBI, and @Mizzou (senior night maybe with MPJ playing but winnable).

Ole Miss is the typical road game that they will end up shooting 50% from 3pt, dominate us on the offensive boards, and we will be stagnant on offense. I could easily see us losing that game.

I think winning the Auburn game at home will go a long way in terms of securing a bid and/or a better seed, depending on how many of these last 6 we so win.

mizzouman

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 12, 2018, 08:23:32 am
Ole Miss is the typical road game that they will end up shooting 50% from 3pt, dominate us on the offensive boards, and we will be stagnant on offense. I could easily see us losing that game.

I think winning the Auburn game at home will go a long way in terms of securing a bid and/or a better seed, depending on how many of these last 6 we so win.
Ole Miss is reeling.  I see a good win for the Hogs, even if it's on the road.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: mizzouman on February 12, 2018, 08:41:21 am

I saw a little frustration from Ole Miss players and AK during the LSU game.

The_Iceman

Mike's dedense has a way of resurrecting these reeling programs back from the dead.

riccoar

By virtue of A&M going to Auburn and winning, I'm gonna say A&M will be our biggest test left of the 6.

UNCLE BACK

This team needs 4 more wins to get in I think. 3 wins might get them in the play in Game but I think 4 puts us at a 10 seed which is better for us than a 8 or 9. I could see us going 4 and 2 to finish or 2 and 4 but I just have a feeling we end up 9 and 9.

razobak

I could legit see this team going anywhere between 1-5 and 5-1 over the last 6 games of the season. Three tough but winnable games at home, and three winnable road games. This stretch could see us jump up to somewhere around a 6 or 7 seed in the NCAA or a 3 seed in the NIT. I really think we'll finish somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-2 over the remaining 6 -- hold serve at home and go 1-2 on the road. Although we could absolutely steal one from either Bama or Mizzou if the stars aligned correctly.

Also, if we go 5-1 or even 4-2, a top-4 seed in the SEC tourney (and the double bye that comes with it) is absolutely still in play. The two teams that are tied for 4th right now, Bama and Mizzou, are only one game ahead of us and we play each of them. We'll have to shake off our road blues but everything this team had as a goal this season is still out in front of us, except for the SEC regular season title.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

cityhog

nothing quite cures a reeling squad, shooting woes, etc like a visit from the hogs.

Cargill A. BullHog

Coach A has the guys playing as well as they were early.  Ive noticed an uptick on the defensive side of the ball and much more sequence passing on the offense end.  Ive also seen a increase in the inside out game which opens up better shots for our guards.  A lot of people have no faith in this squad, and more than 1 has made fun of me for my faith in them.  We will go as far as Macon and Barford shoot us.  Im not kidding when I say if they stay hot we could make a run to the F4.  Its not likely, but it never is.  If the hogs go .500 the rest of the regular season and win 1 game in the SEC tourney they are IN. I think if we run the table and then make a run though the SEC championship game we could still end as high as a 5 seed.  If we go .500 and only win 1 game in the SECT were probably a 12.  thats what this old guy thinks
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

hawganatic

I'm sorry, but in year 7 of a coach's tenure, this shouldn't even be a conversation.

At this point in the season we should be talking about what seed we are going to get and guessing at what region we are going to play in, not if we are going to get in at all...