Started by Hog_Fink, February 10, 2018, 05:57:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog_Fink

Bleacher Report just released their
post trade deadline mock draft
Gafford going 22nd to Milwaukee

BannerMountainMan

Yep and some weird guy on here said he wasn't predicted top 60
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

3of5-2

He's not ready for the league, but he will be better off if he leaves.

PORKULATOR

NOT DRAFTABLE at this moment. He can't take physical play yet and has only been playing for 5 years. He has a long way to go but a ton of potential.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

hogsanity

He will develop more sitting on a nba bench than never getting the ball thrown to him for the Hogs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razorbackchamps94

Can't make Free Throws and has been exposed in SEC games

Hawg Red

Quote from: PORKULATOR on February 10, 2018, 06:49:25 pm
NOT DRAFTABLE at this moment. He can't take physical play yet and has only been playing for 5 years. He has a long way to go but a ton of potential.

1000% draftable. He will be a multi-millionaire if goes pro after this season. You have your head up your butt.

labb

So we got us a real dyed in the wool one and done...How about that.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 10, 2018, 07:12:50 pm
1000% draftable. He will be a multi-millionaire if goes pro after this season. You have your head up your butt.

My thought, ready or not, if the nba people tell him he is going to be a 1st rounder you have to go. Ask Moses. He was projected as a 2nd rounder after his jr yr, came back and dropped out of the draft. If Gafford is projected 1st rn you go, bank your money and set yourself up for life if you make good choices.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HiggiePiggy

Your last sentence is why there is a huge chance.  Basketball drafts a lot on potential.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

stan the man

Amazing. Second time for monitoring. Unreal. Get some high school refs. Gotta be better

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 06:58:55 pm
He will develop more sitting on a nba bench than never getting the ball thrown to him for the Hogs.

While making millions
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Sigepgator702

NBA draft net doesn't have him being drafted this year, but number 7 overall the following year.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Sigepgator702 on February 10, 2018, 07:54:18 pm
NBA draft net doesn't have him being drafted this year, but number 7 overall the following year.

I do hope he stays.  He should be the main focus on the team next year with everyone we are losing.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

TeufelHog

Come on, let's be real.  He is not ready for the NBA yet.

Hawg Red

Quote from: TeufelHog on February 10, 2018, 08:51:21 pm
Come on, let's be real.  He is not ready for the NBA yet.

That does not mean he can't be a first-round pick or even a lottery pick. I'd invite you to take a look at past year's drafts. "Ready" is irrelevant.

azhog10

He could be drafted. But there's a lot of bigs this year and I don't think he would go until 2nd round. Teams that don't have the cap always take Europe's guys that won't make it over just so they take a pick but never lose a dime. He will be a lottery pick as a sophomore tho.

thebignasty

If he's a solid 1st round prospect, he ought to go.

hawgball40

The people who been on here saying he wasn't 1st round material, bet you feel pretty dumb right about now. he's 6'11 and can jump out of the damn gym and has rapidly progressed as a freshman this season.

hawgball40

Quote from: thebignasty on February 10, 2018, 09:07:18 pm
If he's a solid 1st round prospect, he ought to go.
I think there is a chance he comes back for another year. He is 1000% razorback. fwiw, he's a really nice person and down to earth, and will talk to anyone who is kind to him. really shocking someone of his social stature and fame is so down to earth. he'll follow you back on twitter and talk to you if you talk to him. meanwhile, some other razorbacks are too stuck up to give people the time of day.

Breems

That windmill dunk should be drafted #1.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

daprospecta

Quote from: azhog10 on February 10, 2018, 08:59:38 pm
He could be drafted. But there's a lot of bigs this year and I don't think he would go until 2nd round. Teams that don't have the cap always take Europe's guys that won't make it over just so they take a pick but never lose a dime. He will be a lottery pick as a sophomore tho.
He has first round potential but going this year would be a gamble.  You want that 1st round which means guaranteed contract.

Hoggish1

Correct.  Also wouldn't be a bad idea to get some touch on his FTs

Hoggish1

Correct.  Come back for year two with about 40 more lbs on, work on his footwork over the summer and get some touch on his FTs...  Then top five!

hawgmasta

NBA drafts on potential, that boy has got a lottta potential. I would love for him to come back but don't be surprised if he gone.

ShadowHawg

He will cost himself millions if he goes this year.

He will be a lottery pick next season.

k.c.hawg

February 10, 2018, 09:42:02 pm #26 Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:32:56 pm by k.c.hawg
Odds are, he will be in better position after another year. that being said, if a team drafts this guy......they aren't giving up on him. Regardless of his progress. He has the ability to be special in the NBA......they will give up on a high end 6'4" shooting guard 3 years earlier. Multi, multi millionare....whatever the timing is.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 10, 2018, 09:41:10 pm
He will cost himself millions if he goes this year.

He will be a lottery pick next season.

Shorter contract.....free agency earlier.....not necessarily.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

HogBreath

I would plan like he's gone, but we'll probably do like when BP left and act all surprised.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 10, 2018, 09:42:53 pm
Shorter contract.....free agency earlier.....not necessarily.

Not likely either.

k.c.hawg

the No. 32 in the 2014 draft, famously accepted the required tender rather than sign long-term with the 76ers. He then signed a three-year, $6,523,127 deal with the Rockets last summer. Despite getting just the minimum his first year, McDaniels has already made more than half of the players selected in the first round ahead of him. Next season, he'll pass a few more in earnings. Plus, he'll either become a free agent a second time before 2014 first-rounders do so once (if Houston declines his 2017-18 team option to make him restricted) or an unrestricted free agent before scaled 2014 first-rounders (if Houston exercises his team option).

McDaniels' plan carried risk. If he got cut in his first training camp, he could've walked away with nothing.

Still, there's already a school of thought that players are better off g
oing early in the second round rather than late in the first, that the freedom to negotiate a shorter contract trumps the lower initial salary.
Now, second-round picks can probably have their cake and eat it too – a higher initial salary and more freedom.

This is not a good plan for a 6'5" shooting guard, but find a 6"10" guy with a 7' + wingspan and he is going to get multiple chances .....even if he sucks early on. He is the poster child of the guy that could go early 2nd round and after 6 years have made more than a lottery pick. And have free agency approaching

All that being said....I sure hope I get another year to watch DG. He could be dynamic next year.....loved seeing him knock down that 14' shot on the wing.

zebradynasty

If get's stronger in the legs and upper body he's a lotto pick after next year. Of course he could do that this summer after he's drafted but an extra year could really boost him up draft board.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 10, 2018, 09:48:55 pm
the No. 32 in the 2014 draft, famously accepted the required tender rather than sign long-term with the 76ers. He then signed a three-year, $6,523,127 deal with the Rockets last summer. Despite getting just the minimum his first year, McDaniels has already made more than half of the players selected in the first round ahead of him. Next season, he'll pass a few more in earnings. Plus, he'll either become a free agent a second time before 2014 first-rounders do so once (if Houston declines his 2017-18 team option to make him restricted) or an unrestricted free agent before scaled 2014 first-rounders (if Houston exercises his team option).

McDaniels' plan carried risk. If he got cut in his first training camp, he could've walked away with nothing.

oing early in the second round rather than late in the first, that the freedom to negotiate a shorter contract trumps the lower initial salary.
Now, second-round picks can probably have their cake and eat it too – a higher initial salary and more freedom.

This is not a good plan for a 6'5" shooting guard, but find a 6"10" guy with a 7' + wingspan and he is going to get multiple chances .....even if he sucks early on. He is the poster child of the guy that could go early 2nd round and after 6 years have made more than a lottery pick. And have free agency approaching

All that being said....I sure hope I get another year to watch DG. He could be dynamic next year.....loved seeing him knock down that 14' shot on the wing.

And walkon get scholarships sometimes.

Are we really trying to say that second rounders make more money than lottery picks most of the time?

upperdeck_hawg

Gafford absolutely projects as a high pick. The pros do their homework. They know about his potential. You cant teach his athleticism and size. As much as we don't want him to leave, he would be silly not to if he's a first rounder.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

PonderinHog

Quote from: Breems on February 10, 2018, 09:32:07 pm
That windmill dunk should be drafted #1.
The block on the other end had a solid sound to it, too.

hawgball40

Can't believe there are people on hogville who believe Daniel Gafford wouldn't be drafted this year based on his athleticism and potential. Dude has 50 dunks in college basketball as a freshman, and freakish athleticism for his size. The way he is progressing in the post, the guy is quickly rounding in to form. show me 30 nba talents in this years crop that are better than Gafford. You can't.

cardinalhawg

I don't usually chime in on whether a player should enter the professional draft or not because it ends up becoming too much of a monetary discussion and if the goal ends up becoming having so much money for this and that reason and risk vs. reward, then it just becomes the same ole talking points back and forth and arguments can be made either way in that case all day long.  I think Gafford is going to be fine in life regardless, and I say that even if he never plays in the NBA (obviously I think he will).  No matter what I think personally, I can't really say if it would be silly or not for him to leave after this year or that year, as again it comes down to his value system and goals and what is most important to him. 

If the goals involve things such as what one wants to achieve at the college level and legacy achieved from that, then it changes the discussion some.  If Gafford has certain goals he wants to achieve in a Razorback uniform, along with NBA goals and things associated with that, then it changes the dynamics of all of that.  A lot can be said for someone doing great things in college and having the memories of that.  Again, it comes down to one's value system and whether that involves other things besides money, chasing money, material possessions, etc. 

I do think he will benefit with the dynamics and makeup of the team next year, as I see it as more of ball movement sharing the ball team with him being a more focal point of the offense.   That and improvement in his overall game with more strength and weight, he obviously could be a very high draft pick.  Again, that might be a goal of his vs. just being a late first round draft pick.  He seems like someone who is hungry and motivated by the way he plays the game, so I could see him wanting to be one of the best players in college basketball before going to the next level.  If the Razorback team has a strong year next year with a younger team and him being a key focal point, then that would also say a lot to how he can make a team better.  A lot can also be said by how much he can show in terms of abilities and improvement and how that put him in a stronger position to be a key focal point on an NBA team by an extra year of seasoning at the college level.

Paul

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 10, 2018, 09:48:55 pm

exactly  the kid will get drafted, if he goes he'll undergo great coaching & physical development in the G league.  He's got the length & athletic ability that doesn't come around very often & all NBA GMs will be on him like white on rice 

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 10, 2018, 07:12:50 pm
no, I've watched him get shut down by guys who WON'T play in the NBA and he misses more free throws than Shaq.  Another year and he's a high draft pick,
Now pick your head out of your butt, He's coming back next year.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 10, 2018, 09:57:34 pm
If get's stronger in the legs and upper body he's a lotto pick after next year. Of course he could do that this summer after he's drafted but an extra year could really boost him up draft board.
100% agree

hogsanity

He is not going to develop in college in a offense where he stands around while the guards do the globetrotter weave out front. Especially next year with 6 fr and a transfer around him.

Hog_Fink

it's a less emotional decision nowadays I feel like. It's all about business, rather than playing for pride for your school or leaving a legacy. Theres a window & when that opportunity is there you take it. Look how much Miles Bridges may have slipped from waiting. When you can, you should go & get your financial security.

Danny J

Quote from: HogBreath on February 10, 2018, 09:43:02 pm
I would plan like he's gone, but we'll probably do like when BP left and act all surprised.
This ^^^

Need to recruit as though he is gone. I would over sign 1 big and, although I hate saying this, force someone to transfer if he comes back. Hell...Garland may not ever be cleared to play we can't hold that scholarship hostage another year although I would LOVE to see Garland playing next year.

Can't be caught with our pants down again like what happened when Qualls and Portis jumped "unexpectedly"...

Stewhog 11

I love this phenomenon of fans who love and cheer for a really good player on their team, but just torpedo him when the talk of leaving early for the pros comes in. Everyone thinks the guy is great and deserves more respect or attention for various awards or all-conference teams etc., but then they're adamant that he's not ready for the next level. My hypothesis is that they just don't want him to leave, so they do this as a way of kind of burying their head in the sand. It happens over and over again.
As much as I'll miss him, if the year ends and he's a consensus first rounder, he should go.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Danny J on February 10, 2018, 11:08:24 pm
This ^^^

Need to recruit as though he is gone. I would over sign 1 big and, although I hate saying this, force someone to transfer if he comes back. Hell...Garland may not ever be cleared to play we can't hold that scholarship hostage another year although I would LOVE to see Garland playing next year.

Can't be caught with our pants down again like what happened when Qualls and Portis jumped "unexpectedly"...
I don't think Garland's scholarship would count against the roster if he's medically unable to play.

upperdeck_hawg

In baseball Gafford would be the prospect who throws high 90s but cant hit the plate. He'll get drafted high just because you cant teach a high 90s fastball

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Danny J

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 10, 2018, 11:17:33 pm
I don't think Garland's scholarship would count against the roster if he's medically unable to play.
It still counts against scholarships overall no matter the reason for the red shirt. I could be wrong but that's the way it used to be and I haven't followed rules changes and requirements as closely the last couple seasons

PonderinHog

Quote from: Danny J on February 10, 2018, 11:21:19 pm
It still counts against scholarships overall no matter the reason for the red shirt. I could be wrong but that's the way it used to be and I haven't followed rules changes and requirements as closely the last couple seasons
Definitely the case this year (redshirt), but if he doesn't get to play next year I think there's an exception.  I could be wrong again.

maggiesue

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 06:58:55 pm

+1

hogsanity

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on February 10, 2018, 11:17:05 pm
I love this phenomenon of fans who love and cheer for a really good player on their team, but just torpedo him when the talk of leaving early for the pros comes in. Everyone thinks the guy is great and deserves more respect or attention for various awards or all-conference teams etc., but then they're adamant that he's not ready for the next level. My hypothesis is that they just don't want him to leave, so they do this as a way of kind of burying their head in the sand. It happens over and over again.
As much as I'll miss him, if the year ends and he's a consensus first rounder, he should go.

Of course it is selfishness on the part of the fans. Gafford can't do anything for them if he is in the NBA somewhere.