Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question for Mike Irwin

Started by menace_hawg3, February 10, 2018, 09:38:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

swinemaster

CBB's classes ranked OK but his roster management was terrible.  Not being literal but if you have 4 stars in a class, it gets ranked high.  But if 4 of them are Tight Ends it's not a good class.  Recruiting under CBB left the program the day Coach Pittman left the program.

liljo

Quote from: swinemaster on February 11, 2018, 10:09:44 am
CBB's classes ranked OK but his roster management was terrible.  Not being literal but if you have 4 stars in a class, it gets ranked high.  But if 4 of them are Tight Ends it's not a good class.  Recruiting under CBB left the program the day Coach Pittman left the program.

I agree Pittman's departure was The Turning Point. That said, as much as I love the Hogs and as hard as I rooted for them, I just never bought into Coach BB. I felt like Pittman did what was best for himself as he could see the writing on the wall. Coach BB got the extension with the huge buyout clause, and that was what he was looking for.

Had the program gone on and won big, Coach BB would have likely used it as a stepping stone to another job. But when things began to unravel, especially at the end, I bet there wasn't a fourth quarter difficulty in which he didn't think about that buyout. He had found financial Nirvanna. He simply could not lose. Beautiful wife and new little daughter that he could hang it up and spend all the time he wanted with! No pressure. Eat when you want, sleep when you want, enough money to last a lifetime.

Coach BB is well spoken. Personable. But I think any competitive fire he may have had has burned out. He made his money. I'm not even mad at him about it. There were people paid by Arkansas to guard the program from things like that. Sometimes I found myself wondering if they were all in it together. I'd kick the campfire and mutter "carpetbaggers" under my breath, then remember a few minutes later that I had precious little knowledge and was letting "feelings cloud judgement."

All I've said here is just a hypothesis based on the distant observations of an old fan, but also on the very vast treasure trove of studying human behavior. Sometimes a person can have a true passion about something, but other things can cause the fire to burn out. Rarely can that fire be relit.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

jgphillips3

There is talent on this team.  Some positions are a little lacking and overall depth is a concern but Morris will show what a competent coach can do with these kids.  I see a 7 win floor and a 9 win ceiling.  That will likely be the case for a couple of years while he upgrades talent and the scheme is implemented.  In his 3rd or 4th year, the CBB mistake will seem like a distant memory.

HognotinMemphis

That is exactly what my message has been when I say Bielema is a crap recruiter and did not do well at recruiting while at Arkansas. Then every yahoo on here comes back with, oh yeah? Well his classes were ranked higher than Nutt's and Petrino's were. Yeah, and his results were 10x worse than Nutt's and Petriono's were.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 11, 2018, 11:16:14 am
There is talent on this team.  Some positions are a little lacking and overall depth is a concern but Morris will show what a competent coach can do with these kids.  I see a 7 win floor and a 9 win ceiling.  That will likely be the case for a couple of years while he upgrades talent and the scheme is implemented.  In his 3rd or 4th year, the CBB mistake will seem like a distant memory.
Exactly the way I see it, next season will be one of, I didn't know player X was this good, and I forgot player Y was even on the team IMO and if we get average to above average QB play 8 or 9 wins will be where we are.

Al Boarland

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 11, 2018, 11:51:56 am
Exactly the way I see it, next season will be one of, I didn't know player X was this good, and I forgot player Y was even on the team IMO and if we get average to above average QB play 8 or 9 wins will be where we are.

Do you realize the level of QB play we will be up against next season?

ballinhog

I just wanted to see how many times this dude was gonna bump the thread before Mike answered lol he was barely waiting 10 mins and "bump"

Idk why stuff that is funny to no one else in the world cracks me up 😂

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 11, 2018, 11:58:31 am
And so we can't come up with defenses to address those issues? I swear some folks are beaten before they even start. Then again, how come I'm not surprised ??? ::) :o

Al Boarland

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 11, 2018, 12:03:49 pm
And so we can't come up with defenses to address those issues?

No. Chavis isn't a miracle worker.

rhames

February 11, 2018, 12:26:14 pm #59 Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:48:07 pm by rhames

Funny how we are writing off Mississippi State and Mizzou as wins when they return their QBs and play as on their home field.

But year Morris is going to win 8 or 9 games!!!!!!
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hawginbigd1

Who is it that concerns you? Stidham-ok Hurts/Tagilovoa-ok

Besides that who? Who are the rest? The MSU kid is overhyped, the OM guy doesn't impress me, does Fischer even know who his QB is? Orgeron? The non-cons don't matter.

Our defense will be much better because we have better players with more experience, there were 3 players playing most of the snaps last year that were not SEC players and they are gone and will be replaced by SEC caliber players with an SEC level coach.

Al Boarland

Quote from: rhames on February 11, 2018, 12:26:14 pm

Funny how we are writing off Mississippi State and Missorui as wins when they return their QBs and play as on their home field.

But year Morris is going to win 8 or 9 games!!!!!!

Many on here are so focused on the Hogs they forget about other teams getting better. It's baffling that people assume certain teams are automatic W's when they have similar talent.

Pudgepork

As for Miss St, they have a new coach who'd never been a head coach.  Mullin is no more so Miss St is a total unknown with a gimpy qb

.Ole Miss is also unknown.   Some starters opted out and Luke is shorthanded

Who knows what aTm will be

LSU still hasn't found an offense

rtr

There are good QB's on our schedule but not great.  Bama's kid from Hawaii excepted, even then we don't know how he will do over the course of a season.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Steef

Quote from: Pudgepork on February 11, 2018, 12:53:10 pm
As for Miss St, they have a new coach who'd never been a head coach.  Mullin is no more so Miss St is a total unknown with a gimpy qb

.Ole Miss is also unknown.   Some starters opted out and Luke is shorthanded

Who knows what aTm will be

LSU still hasn't found an offense

TAMU's 'new' coach is a proven head coach and their bench is pretty deep. It is his first year, so they OUGHT to have some transition issues. But they won't be easy.

Neither will LSU.

But both Miss. schools should be beatable.

OTOH....we ought to have some transition issues also.

redneckfriend

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 11, 2018, 12:03:49 pm
And so we can't come up with defenses to address those issues? I swear some folks are beaten before they even start. Then again, how come I'm not surprised ??? ::) :o

You know this type of conversation doesn't have any point. Someone will be right and someone will be wrong and time will tell. Personally, if I didn't agree I would just say "I don't think the fact we don't have an experience, highly rated quarterback and a number of other teams do will be a problem for us-our defense will take care of it". Hard for me to agree with that statement but it's better than slamming a perfectly reasonable comment.

It seems like every time there is a new coach euphoria reigns- like an endorphin high. Then, if things go south, the let down is much greater. An opinion is fine but getting too invested in an opinion is a path to disappointment.

rtr

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 11, 2018, 01:36:33 pm
You know this type of conversation doesn't have any point. Someone will be right and someone will be wrong and time will tell. Personally, if I didn't agree I would just say "I don't think the fact we don't have an experience, highly rated quarterback and a number of other teams do will be a problem for us-our defense will take care of it". Hard for me to agree with that statement but it's better than slamming a perfectly reasonable comment.

It seems like every time there is a new coach euphoria reigns- like an endorphin high. Then, if things go south, the let down is much greater. An opinion is fine but getting too invested in an opinion is a path to disappointment.
Well well, I find the people who think it can be done (winning) have played football and more importantly know more about the game than most "realists".  Just be glad you have the right to a differing opinion and to express it and the rest of us have the right to give it appropriate weight. Go Hogs Go. :)

rtr

I will say that under Bobby Petrino the endorfin high lasted a good 4 years.  Under Houston Nutt we had those highs years after he was hired.  Jeff Long just made two bad hires based on the results and he was not going to be allowed to make the next one.

Al Boarland

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 11, 2018, 12:33:42 pm
Who is it that concerns you? Stidham-ok Hurts/Tagilovoa-ok

Besides that who? Who are the rest? The MSU kid is overhyped, the OM guy doesn't impress me, does Fischer even know who his QB is? Orgeron? The non-cons don't matter.

Our defense will be much better because we have better players with more experience, there were 3 players playing most of the snaps last year that were not SEC players and they are gone and will be replaced by SEC caliber players with an SEC level coach.

They all concern me.

menace_hawg3

Quote from: ballinhog on February 11, 2018, 12:00:04 pm
I just wanted to see how many times this dude was gonna bump the thread before Mike answered lol he was barely waiting 10 mins and "bump"

Ha ha ha ha ha...You should do stand up.

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: ballinhog on February 11, 2018, 12:00:04 pm

Would be epic if Mike bumps the thread and ignores the question.

farmhawg

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on February 11, 2018, 06:29:30 pm
That would be perfect! +1
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Dark Helmet Hog

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Bash

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on February 10, 2018, 05:11:48 pm
Guys like Mike and me aren't on Hogville 24/7 and our life doesn't revolve around giving opinions on here.  The sooner you guys get that through your thick skulls the better.

That all may be true about "Iron Mike," but none of that is true about you.  You keep Hogville alive and it's heart beating, and Hogville keeps you alive and your heart beating.  It's called symbiosis. It's best observed among bacteria, parasites, and tavernites.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 11, 2018, 12:06:10 pm
No. Chavis isn't a miracle worker.
Sorry but I don't see that he needs to be. While we may not have the depth of talent on the defensive side as many other SEC foes, it's not as if we're totally devoid of some quality players. Heck, even improved coaching can help close some of the gap between what we've witnessed the past few years. Of course one has to have some faith and at least consider the possibility that our overall play can improve next year. In perusing your history of comments and posts it's apparent you possess neither. As for me......I'll sit back, watch and see what happens. Who knows ??? Perhaps a miracle might appear just for you. ;)

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 11, 2018, 01:36:33 pm

First of all, I've said many times that I will sit back and watch what happens. As CMM and his staff have obviously not coached a single spring or fall practice or begun formally installing their various schemes. As to whether or not our defense will be improved I honestly have to say I most certainly hope and believe they will be. However, that too remains to be seen; so does whoever we have taking over the QB position. Don't have any firm answer and no true idea of how he will perform next year. Then again, as with the rest of the team and staff there are a lot of questions; and if you think there aren't some (obviously not all) of the same issues/questions being dealt with at many of the other programs who've undergone coaching changes you're only fooling yourself.

As far as the general positive outlook that many of us express in the new staff I suppose it all comes down to one's outlook concerning change. Change can either be embraced or it can be rejected. Personally until proven otherwise, and most certainly given the circumstances over the past six years, I look at this new staff as both necessary and welcomed. And to whether  or not they can get the job done remains "written in the stars". However, in reality what we THINK (or guess) we know about the future means little or nothing. It's obviously what actually happens that counts. So you take your "bah, humbug" approach to the future and I take my more upbeat assessment. But yes, one of us will undoubtedly be right.

Oklahawg

I haven't had a chance to bump the thread.

I largely agree with Bphi11ips: the team's demise was mental not physical. It was not "getting slow" or "too heavy" (early reports are the weight training work is very similar, as it probably should be). The swagger was lost, stomped in fact, vs Auburn 2016.

No one has mentioned "locker room issues" and, yes, it was CBB's locker room but sometimes that is a no-win situation. You hope it graduates or fixes itself.

The highest level of off-field accountability since Danny Ford, and that is something those who care about the university beyond its sports team value. But, that doesn't sell tickets and doesn't win games.

The problem with the leftover roster: way too many players who had a significant opportunity/role in the last system that may not have a opportunity/role in the new system. Fullbacks, tight ends, all those hybrid DE/OLB types. If CCM adapts to those talents (and those are areas I think we are well-equipped with veterans ready to contribute) will be a testimony to his coaching acumen. Good coaches can build a team with their players, but only truly great players can build a team with spare parts.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

aloha_kid

menace_hawg3

Wow! If it wasn't for the stupid comments, this thread would have died a long time ago. Thanks guys! I also want to thank the ones who actually added their opinions and insights to the thread.

Dr. Starcs

menace_hawg3

I don't see him doing that. I'm sure he's past the age of 15.

Pork Twain

Quote from: CarolinaSwine on February 11, 2018, 07:14:51 am
So an 8-0 run to start the season?
Yes by saying 1998 all over again I meant every part of it would be exact, not just the record at the end of the season, due to a roster full of talent.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

TNhawgfan

Would be the funniest thing I've ever seen on hogville. You can tell it's the off-season when people are on the edge of their seat seeing if Mike will respond to a random question.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 10, 2018, 01:38:40 pm
The longest distance on the field is the six inches between the ears.  That area seemed to turn to mush at Auburn in 2016 and never recovered.  Doubt crept in after fourth quarter losses at Missouri and against Virginia Tech.  You could see it in the body language of staff and players.

This team is not void of talent.  It may need a bit of reshuffling, but there is a lot to work with.  The new staff will bring new schemes, energy and confidence.  The new NEZ will inspire the fans and players.  Unlike last year, the schedule provides a runway for players to get their legs under them.

Auburn 2016 is probably the worst Razorback game I ever saw (without nitpicking the qualifications in saying that). But the final 2—Mizzou and Virginia Tech—while disturbing in their own way, proved we had problems that existed on another level. They were "mental/psychological" for both our coaches and players.

One point Hog-in-Mempho made that I agree with—Bielema talked about those 2 games a lot in the spring and summer...the "chip" and "finishing." But nothing was fixed. Watching the TCU game in the 2017 Fayetteville opener showed that all those troubles that surfaced at the end of the previous season were still alive. Bielema's staff (and team) never recovered from how 2016 ended.

Regarding the talent issue. We can SEE our lack of talent in places, but in 2017 I FELT our disjointed coaching staff. Maybe that's why I can be a little optimistic now—our biggest problem (the previous staff) is gone. I do feel like Morris can do the most with what he has to work with. We have some good players, for sure, but my question is will a couple great players emerge? We have to find/develop a few stars. As bphi11ips said, a shuffling is the first step.

Petrino's and Bielema's first seasons were disappointments. But Holtz's and Nutt's were amazing—no one had any idea the teams they inherited had so much talent just waiting to surface. Especially on defense—Holtz had a D full of all-conference players including an NFL Hall-of-Famer on the line. Heck, Nutt had 3 all-SEC guys just in the secondary, 2 of those played in the NFL for many years. Do we have any guys like that now?...we'll see what Morris and Co. can turn up.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

wildhogman

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 11, 2018, 12:46:49 pm
Many on here are so focused on the Hogs they forget about other teams getting better. It’s baffling that people assume certain teams are automatic W’s when they have similar talent.
Freeze is gone. This will be year two without him. I do not think their HC or his staf is equal to what Freeze had. So no I don't think OM willmake as great of gains as we will.

Coach O is a buffoon. Look at his history as a HC. You really think LSU will be better then last year?  I think they stay even, on talent, maybe slide a bit on coaching ability. We again make great gains due to the change. Time of year game is played factors too.  It wont be when the players are still learning. BY the time we play LSU I expect our players to have a decent grasp on what we are doing.  Think CBP in 2008.

MSst is without their best coach ever. EVER.  You really expect them to make anything more then marginal improvement?

By the time we play Aubbie Gus may already be once more on the hot seat, and given the flirtation's, his players may not "all" be as inclined to circle the wagons for him again this year, like last year.

aTm passed over CCM for dumbo fisher. You think CMM wont be pointing to that game this year to prove a point?  Think Malazahn everytime we play Aubbie

there are other games  in the schedule that have their own story line. Bottom line is we will have a new staff, new direction and hopefully restored confidence this season. You can forgive most fans if we choose to be upbeat and hopeful about our team and upcoming season. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 12, 2018, 10:39:50 am
Auburn 2016 is probably the worst Razorback game I ever saw (without nitpicking the qualifications in saying that). But the final 2—Mizzou and Virginia Tech—while disturbing in their own way, proved we had problems that existed on another level. They were "mental/psychological" for both our coaches and players.

One point Hog-in-Mempho made that I agree with—Bielema talked about those 2 games a lot in the spring and summer...the "chip" and "finishing." But nothing was fixed. Watching the TCU game in the 2017 Fayetteville opener showed that all those troubles that surfaced at the end of the previous season were still alive. Bielema's staff (and team) never recovered from how 2016 ended.

Regarding the talent issue. We can SEE our lack of talent in places, but in 2017 I FELT our disjointed coaching staff. Maybe that's why I can be a little optimistic now—our biggest problem (the previous staff) is gone. I do feel like Morris can do the most with what he has to work with. We have some good players, for sure, but my question is will a couple great players emerge? We have to find/develop a few stars. As bphi11ips said, a shuffling is the first step.

Petrino's and Bielema's first seasons were disappointments. But Holtz's and Nutt's were amazing—no one had any idea the teams they inherited had so much talent just waiting to surface. Especially on defense—Holtz had a D full of all-conference players including an NFL Hall-of-Famer on the line. Heck, Nutt had 3 all-SEC guys just in the secondary, 2 of those played in the NFL for many years. Do we have any guys like that now?...we'll see what Morris and Co. can turn up.

He obsessed and created a problem that might not have been there, maybe?

I never discount the leadership capacity of getting those following you to believe, without a shadow of doubt, that you are leading them the right way. When that goes south, it doesn't matter the talent level. Gus inherited a winless team. He is not god's gift to coaching, just one of many fine coaches nationwide. He took over a damaged team (pyschologically) with lots of talent. Not to imply CCM inherits a similarly talented team, but one far better than 4-8.

For me, the issue is not whether there is talent there but whether it can somehow be "square peg in round hole" worked into the master plan.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 12, 2018, 12:12:42 pm
He obsessed and created a problem that might not have been there, maybe?

I never discount the leadership capacity of getting those following you to believe, without a shadow of doubt, that you are leading them the right way. When that goes south, it doesn't matter the talent level. Gus inherited a winless team. He is not god's gift to coaching, just one of many fine coaches nationwide. He took over a damaged team (pyschologically) with lots of talent. Not to imply CCM inherits a similarly talented team, but one far better than 4-8.

For me, the issue is not whether there is talent there but whether it can somehow be "square peg in round hole" worked into the master plan.

In years 2 and 3, I believed Bielema was doing things the right way. But then, I equate his time to a clay pot that got cracked...at first there was a slow leak, then a big chunk breaks off and everything drained in seconds. I'm glad our higher-ups realized there was no way to un-crack/un-empty the pot.

One reason I like that Morris recruited heavy on defense so far, it gives him time to look at the many skill players we already have on offense. We have many "parts"—lots of running backs, lots of receivers, a few that fall into both groups, and now several quarterbacks. So as you say, Morris will have to figure out what to do with all of that and how to assemble it.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

DeltaBoy

Toledo was the beginning of the end for me.  Now we got good kids and I believe they will be better managed with this new staff.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tusk_Musk

ballinhog

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on February 11, 2018, 03:36:45 pm
Ha ha ha ha ha...You should do stand up.

Already tried, was booed off stage

menace_hawg3

Oklahawg

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 12, 2018, 01:35:15 pm
In years 2 and 3, I believed Bielema was doing things the right way. But then, I equate his time to a clay pot that got cracked...at first there was a slow leak, then a big chunk breaks off and everything drained in seconds. I'm glad our higher-ups realized there was no way to un-crack/un-empty the pot.

One reason I like that Morris recruited heavy on defense so far, it gives him time to look at the many skill players we already have on offense. We have many "parts"—lots of running backs, lots of receivers, a few that fall into both groups, and now several quarterbacks. So as you say, Morris will have to figure out what to do with all of that and how to assemble it.

Makes sense.

Mike Irwin

Sorry. Been on vacation for a week visiting my mom, brother & sister in San Angelo, Tx.

The situation is not even close to as bad as it was in 2012 after the John L. disaster. The past two years this team has under performed. Bielema's staff started going downhill after the 2015 season. He didn't seem to notice. Yes the recruiting needs to pick up but better coaching position by position will make a difference. How could it not?

You look at the energy level of this staff compared to what it was over the last two seasons, the contrast is obvious.

Having pointed this out, the one thing Bielema kept talking about while trying to save his job is valid in my opinion: There is a lot of young talent on this team. They were going to be better even without a coaching change. With the change I think there is reason for optimism. I sure don't expect a 3-9 season like Bielema had in 2013 or even the 4-8 from last year. I'd say 7-5 or 8-4 is not unreasonable based on what I've seen from this staff so far.

These guys all put in the work. All of them. I just hope Morris doesn't OD on energy drinks.

Al Boarland

February 13, 2018, 05:59:39 pm #94 Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:49:51 pm by Al Boarland
Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 13, 2018, 05:22:34 pm
Sorry. Been on vacation for a week visiting my mom, brother & sister in San Angelo, Tx.

The situation is not even close to as bad as it was in 2012 after the John L. disaster. The past two years this team has under performed. Bielema's staff started going downhill after the 2015 season. He didn't seem to notice. Yes the recruiting needs to pick up but better coaching position by position will make a difference. How could it not?

You look at the energy level of this staff compared to what it was over the last two seasons, the contrast is obvious.

Having pointed this out, the one thing Bielema kept talking about while trying to save his job is valid in my opinion: There is a lot of young talent on this team. They were going to be better even without a coaching change. With the change I think there is reason for optimism. I sure don't expect a 3-9 season like Bielema had in 2013 or even the 4-8 from last year. I'd say 7-5 or 8-4 is not unreasonable based on what I've seen from this staff so far.

These guys all put in the work. All of them. I just hope Morris doesn't OD on energy drinks.

6/7 sounds about right. Especially when you consider that the other teams we play also "put in the work".

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: liljo on February 11, 2018, 10:42:40 am
I agree Pittman's departure was The Turning Point. That said, as much as I love the Hogs and as hard as I rooted for them, I just never bought into Coach BB. I felt like Pittman did what was best for himself as he could see the writing on the wall. Coach BB got the extension with the huge buyout clause, and that was what he was looking for.

Had the program gone on and won big, Coach BB would have likely used it as a stepping stone to another job. But when things began to unravel, especially at the end, I bet there wasn't a fourth quarter difficulty in which he didn't think about that buyout. He had found financial Nirvanna. He simply could not lose. Beautiful wife and new little daughter that he could hang it up and spend all the time he wanted with! No pressure. Eat when you want, sleep when you want, enough money to last a lifetime.

Coach BB is well spoken. Personable. But I think any competitive fire he may have had has burned out. He made his money. I'm not even mad at him about it. There were people paid by Arkansas to guard the program from things like that. Sometimes I found myself wondering if they were all in it together. I'd kick the campfire and mutter "carpetbaggers" under my breath, then remember a few minutes later that I had precious little knowledge and was letting "feelings cloud judgement."

All I've said here is just a hypothesis based on the distant observations of an old fan, but also on the very vast treasure trove of studying human behavior. Sometimes a person can have a true passion about something, but other things can cause the fire to burn out. Rarely can that fire be relit.

I have similar thoughts.  Bielema didn't want to have to keep working hard for his friend Barry Alvarez so he found himself a retirement package by way of Jeff Long.

Tejano Jawg

Oh, that's okay. As you can see, the rest of us thought we'd answer on your behalf. :)

urkillnmesmalls

This has always been perplexing.  The discussion is always based on the star average, and now, they're going so far as to rank them by numbers WITHIN the star ranking to try to narrow it down even more..."High 3 star." 

But what about the schools who have a few good QB's, run the spread and go get a ton of high ranking WR's and RB's as a result, but they neglect defense completely.  Ultimately, your results are going to suffer, but I guess it's more important for a coach to get a class that ranks well, than one that is well rounded and can win games. 

I'm still confounded by looking at the NC winners, and how many of them average in the top 10 in recruiting.  It's getting to the point that it's almost truly an eliminator.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

I wonder why he doesn't do what most people do, and just drink coffee all day??  Lots less crazy ingredients at least...what exactly is Taurine??  Yuck. 

Oh, and regarding football.  Thanks for the insight.  I've seen some strange things in sports in my time, but how Bielema at times stood on the sideline with that dumbfounded look on his face, was just next level bizarre to me.  Couple that with how he reacted so emotionally to almost everything positive that happened, and it really started to look like he was literally just on the sideline with a headset, but doing little more than what he appeared to be....a FAN WATCHING the game.  I'm sure he was far more involved that his demeanor suggested, and when you're winning...it's calm and collected.  When you're losing...it's lack of fire and intensity.   

Looking back on it...with how it all played out, now I wonder if maybe at times, he truly was just letting other people do everything, and occasionally stepping in to insist we run another dive over tackle on 3rd and 2 just to prove we were physical.   :)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.