Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question for Mike Irwin

Started by menace_hawg3, February 10, 2018, 09:38:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

menace_hawg3

Do you think Arkansas is as "down" as some on here and on other sites think? What is your assessment on the talent that Brett left this coaching staff? I know Spring will reveal all things, but I really trust your opinion on these things. 

menace_hawg3

menace_hawg3

MuskogeeHogFan

Stop bumping the thread. Just send him a PM. Bumping it isn't going to bring it to his attention any quicker than a PM. Mike isn't on here 24 hours each day.
Go Hogs Go!

sowmonella

I'm not Irwin but I believe we have a good deal of talent with some areas we are weak in at this point. The problem we face is with the strength of the SEC as a whole. I don't think Bret left a bare cupboard.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

sowmonella

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 10, 2018, 10:50:23 am
Stop bumping the thread. Just send him a PM. Bumping it isn't going to bring it to his attention any quicker than a PM. Mike isn't on here 24 hours each day.
Mike is off line for meals and numerous naps throughout the day. ;)
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Not Irwin, but I'll give it a stab...

I believe CBB recruited well enough in his time here. I don't believe we were beaten by superior talent nearly as much as I believe we were beaten by a lack of mental toughness and physical endurance.
Mental toughness is leached from a team when they start to see wavering in their leadership. Once it was obvious in game 3 that the woes from 2016 had not been addressed the cohesion of the team began to show signs of degradation.
Physical endurance came into play in each and every one of our 4th quarter collapses. Poetically teams that were built in the image that CCM is attempting to create gave us the hardest time, and CBB early on in his tenure here railed against it as one of the final hold outs of "Old Time Football"...

If the players that remain are hungry to win we will do better than most expect...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 10, 2018, 11:13:31 am
Not Irwin, but I'll give it a stab...

I believe CBB recruited well enough in his time here. I don't believe we were beaten by superior talent nearly as much as I believe we were beaten by a lack of mental toughness and physical endurance.
Mental toughness is leached from a team when they start to see wavering in their leadership. Once it was obvious in game 3 that the woes from 2016 had not been addressed the cohesion of the team began to show signs of degradation.
Physical endurance came into play in each and every one of our 4th quarter collapses. Poetically teams that were built in the image that CCM is attempting to create gave us the hardest time, and CBB early on in his tenure here railed against it as one of the final hold outs of "Old Time Football"...

If the players that remain are hungry to win we will do better than most expect...
From Jan to August, Bielema said the team had a chip on its collective shoulder after losing the bowl game and the Missouri game the way they did. What happened to that chip? I think this team's talent is not very good. I think Bielema recruited poorly and coached even more poorly. It is why you are seeing Morris getting players to leave...they are not good enough to compete in the SEC: they know it and Morris and his staff know it.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

oldman1015

Lack of speed on defense for years.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Hog N Bama

All together now. I WANT MIKE. I WANT MIKE.. I WANT MIKE.  ;D

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 10, 2018, 11:46:01 am
From Jan to August, Bielema said the team had a chip on its collective shoulder after losing the bowl game and the Missouri game the way they did. What happened to that chip? I think this team's talent is not very good. I think Bielema recruited poorly and coached even more poorly. It is why you are seeing Morris getting players to leave...they are not good enough to compete in the SEC: they know it and Morris and his staff know it.
Yeah Bielema recruited better than anyone since Ford and never had any of the bumper crops of in-state studs that Petrino and Nutt had, and he still recruited better. So as per normal you show that your posts are mindless drivel!

1highhog

I don't believe this to be true.  The only places that I see on the team where Bielema's regime didn't do a good job of recruiting was on the Oline and the Dline, and since Fords tenure we've actually been weak at LB.  I think Morris and his staff will address these needs as shown in their recruiting efforts and who they've reached out to.  We have players on this team that can be plug and play type players after they've been reassigned probably during the Spring.   This is a quick fix until our recruiting gets to where it needs to be. 

We will be all right I think on Offense, we have big play making ability and this OLine won't need to hold blocks very long in this offense, if one of these quarterbacks holds the ball to long I fully expect to see another QB starting, I see Morris having no favorites.

Gonzo

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 10, 2018, 11:53:37 am
Yeah Bielema recruited better than anyone since Ford and never had any of the bumper crops of in-state studs that Petrino and Nutt had, and he still recruited better. So as per normal you show that your posts are mindless drivel!

BB's recruiting was basically about where the Hogs have been since recruiting services cropped up, somewhere in the 20s, bottom half to bottom third of the SEC, so I don't think the Hogs are at an abnormally high level of talent historically, but I think certainly better than what was shown last year. If CM can find the right switches for this squad I think they can be a significant improvement over last year.

Go Hogs!

bphi11ips

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."

- Mark Twain

The longest distance on the field is the six inches between the ears.  That area seemed to turn to mush at Auburn in 2016 and never recovered.  Doubt crept in after fourth quarter losses at Missouri and against Virginia Tech.  You could see it in the body language of staff and players.

This team is not void of talent.  It may need a bit of reshuffling, but there is a lot to work with.  The new staff will bring new schemes, energy and confidence.  The new NEZ will inspire the fans and players.  Unlike last year, the schedule provides a runway for players to get their legs under them. 

The competition has never been better, but Arkansas will field a good football team in 2018.  There is nothing wrong with the program that can't be fixed with new leadership and confidence and support from the fans.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

How many have left..? I know of two linemen, but can't recall anyone else.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 10, 2018, 01:38:40 pm

- Mark Twain

The longest distance on the field is the six inches between the ears.  That area seemed to turn to mush at Auburn in 2016 and never recovered.  Doubt crept in after fourth quarter losses at Missouri and against Virginia Tech.  You could see it in the body language of staff and players.

This team is not void of talent.  It may need a bit of reshuffling, but there is a lot to work with.  The new staff will bring new schemes, energy and confidence.  The new NEZ will inspire the fans and players.  Unlike last year, the schedule provides a runway for players to get their legs under them. 

The competition has never been better, but Arkansas will field a good football team in 2018.  There is nothing wrong with the program that can't be fixed with new leadership and confidence and support from the fans.
Well IMO the level of talent, especially as compared to what was shown on the field, can most certainly be debated and argued. However, in my mind the lack of effort on the part of some key players PLUS the "what the heck" misuse or lack of playing time of some players-think of Hammonds as a prime example-helped doom this team in so many ways. The staff never seemed to be able to figure out how to best utilize the play makers they had. And as far any real effective in-game adjustments that was a total farce.

menace_hawg3

Quote from: snoblind on February 10, 2018, 02:03:37 pm
LOL. 

You bump your own thread on a subject discussed here ad nauseam (and weighed in on by Mike more than a few times) twice in an hour on a Saturday morning and you are complaining about MHF?

Get over yourself.

I've looked through Mikes comments and haven't found any recent comments from him on this subject. Will you please link some for me?

swineology

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on February 10, 2018, 02:15:26 pm
I've looked through Mikes comments and haven't found any recent comments from him on this subject. Will you please link some for me?

Are you smart enough to use the PM feature?

Mike usually responds in a timely manner.

rhames

Any one who says they know for sure one way or the other if there is more talent on this team than we showed or we are down is speaking out of their butt.

No one knows for sure one way or the other. My fear is the defense will need a couple cycles to be able to stop some folks to even put us in a position go win.

We looked so slow at times last year. It's going to take a year or two before we start seeing what Morris can do.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Tim Harris

Don't listen to these guys who are recommending PMing someone directly.  I mean sure it is a 1 on 1 conversation and most people would even get an email notification that someone has privately messaged them and they are more likely to come here and answer the question.  The best way would be to bump this thread every 10 minutes until you either get an answer or get banned.

farmhawg

Quote from: swineology on February 10, 2018, 02:20:06 pm
Are you smart enough to use the PM feature?

Mike usually responds in a timely manner.
I would imagine your first question is highly debatable.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

BDSCT51

- Mark Twain

This is truth! Our talent may have been a bit behind the top tier SEC teams but our coaching seemed to be miles behind. That directly contributed to the "six inches between the ears" issues we all have witnessed the most recent two years.

Definitely excited and hopeful for Hog football going forward!
Bleeding Razorback Red

ComeonHogs!!!

I'm hoping this team has the talent on the roster and I'm hoping that with the new S&C routine we will find new speed we never realized we had. I point to Alex collins as an example of what dropping a few Pd's and focusing on speed can do to restart a FOOTBALL player. We may have a bunch on the hill. here is to hoping, WPS
State Pride!!!

hoglady

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on February 10, 2018, 09:38:19 am
Do you think Arkansas is as "down" as some on here and on other sites think? What is your assessment on the talent that Brett left this coaching staff? I know Spring will reveal all things, but I really trust your opinion on these things. 

I will trust what Chad Morris said and we've all seen during the Bielema era.
This team lacks speed - in multiple areas.
Speed was not as much a priority for Bielema as it should have been.
Morris said the other day that was his top priority and our biggest deficiency.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on February 10, 2018, 09:38:19 am

Mike has great insight both from a current and historical standpoint to the program. Much better than 99.9% of us. He could write a book, as many of us have encouraged him to do when he retires.

I recommended that you PM him in order to help you get a more quick answer. Merely posting it here and then re-bumping it every hour or less isn't going to get you the answer that you want any sooner.

My intention was to help you. Now if that grinds your gears, then just let it do so.
Go Hogs Go!

snoblind

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 10, 2018, 02:58:36 pm
Mike has great insight both from a current and historical standpoint to the program. Much better than 99.9% of us. He could write a book, as many of us have encouraged him to do when he retires.

I recommended that you PM him in order to help you get a more quick answer. Merely posting it here and then re-bumping it every hour or less isn't going to get you the answer that you want any sooner.

My intention was to help you. Now if that grinds your gears, then just let it do so.

Word on the street is Mike is hunting you down for suggesting PM.

menace_hawg3

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 10, 2018, 02:58:36 pm

It's kind of hard to read someone's tone into their comments. Now that you've clarified your tone. Its all good. It's not  what you said, it was my preception of your tone that I was responding to... Sorry.

El Puerco Grande

Hypothetical question: At the start of the season if CBB and Saban switched jobs, what would their records have been? I think Saban's ability would have at a minimum gotten us 6-6, or better. As for Bret coaching Bama, I think he wins at least 10. My opinion.
How 'bout them hogs?

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 10, 2018, 02:23:42 pm
Don't listen to these guys who are recommending PMing someone directly.  I mean sure it is a 1 on 1 conversation and most people would even get an email notification that someone has privately messaged them and they are more likely to come here and answer the question.  The best way would be to bump this thread every 10 minutes until you either get an answer or get banned.

Bump............ 8)
WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

Al Boarland

Since everyone is chiming in I'll say that we have recruited in the bottom 1/3 of the division, so we are not very talented. You can see it on the field when we play talented teams. I don't think it was S&C. We just don't recruit at a high level. However, we could have won a few more of our toss up games last season.

We have to be able to snag a few games against the teams in our tier of the division.

Andrew Hogfan

I think we're more talented than what we played. And more than our record. Even though I can't argue with the argument that you are what your record says you are. I saw a lot of mental collapse the last two years.  I think the team wins more games the last two years with a different head coach.  I think Morris will win more than most think in his first year.  I know this is my opinion,  but it's formed from watching every game to the bitter end these last 5 years. I'm excited to have coach Morris and excited for the start of football for the first time in two years.  WPS!
WPS!!!

jneal56

"At least we are moral"

The OTR

Iron Mike Irwin will be here when Iron Mike Irwin is good and ready and all the PM's and bumps and half baked opinions by those of you not named Mike isn't going to make him appear any faster.

Sometimes you guys just don't get it.  Guys like Mike and me aren't on Hogville 24/7 and our life doesn't revolve around giving opinions on here.  The sooner you guys get that through your thick skulls the better.

bythelake

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on February 10, 2018, 05:11:48 pm
Iron Mike Irwin will be here when Iron Mike Irwin is good and ready and all the PM's and bumps and half baked opinions by those of you not named Mike isn't going to make him appear any faster.

Sometimes you guys just don't get it.  Guys like Mike and me aren't on Hogville 24/7 and our life doesn't revolve around giving opinions on here.  The sooner you guys get that through your thick skulls the better.

Best post I've seen in a while.  🤪😛😝

plumbhog

Quote from: farmhawg on February 10, 2018, 02:28:13 pm
I would imagine your first question is highly debatable.....
The second one even more so!

bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

Pudgepork

Quote from: oldman1015 on February 10, 2018, 11:48:17 am
Lack of speed on defense for years.

Hard to run fast with a belly full of pb&j.   Add a few sips of gatorade and it'd be sloshing as you run

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 10, 2018, 11:53:37 am
Your response is the definition of drivel. No support for what you say...just because you say it, it is so. Ford, Nutt and Petrino all had better results than did Bielema. It's not all coaching and it's not all recruiting and development. But for Bielema over 5 seasons to have the worst conference record in the 100+ year history of the U of A football program, it's definitely partly on his poor recruiting. He not only did not get enough top players, he did not get the ones he needed in specific areas...he also ignored getting speed. Total fail and that is why he was fired.

Don't be just another idiot poster here. You have a lot of company.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

STLhawg

Quote from: El Puerco Grande on February 10, 2018, 03:50:47 pm
Hypothetical question: At the start of the season if CBB and Saban switched jobs, what would their records have been? I think Saban's ability would have at a minimum gotten us 6-6, or better. As for Bret coaching Bama, I think he wins at least 10. My opinion.
I myself don't think BB would have won more than 8 or 9 coaching Bama.  Heck Saban coaching Arkansas might have beat him!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 10, 2018, 07:02:54 pm
Your response is the definition of drivel. No support for what you say...just because you say it, it is so. Ford, Nutt and Petrino all had better results than did Bielema. It's not all coaching and it's not all recruiting and development. But for Bielema over 5 seasons to have the worst conference record in the 100+ year history of the U of A football program, it's definitely partly on his poor recruiting. He not only did not get enough top players, he did not get the ones he needed in specific areas...he also ignored getting speed. Total fail and that is why he was fired.

Don't be just another idiot poster here. You have a lot of company.
It's not because I said, it is a fact, not bothering to bring it to you, but CBB ratings are factually higher than Nutt and Petrino. And also the biggest part that most don't consider is both Petrino and Nutt were wash out kings, where 50% of a class or more never contributed before they were gone, so that 30th rated class is really 65th if you have 8 solid contributors, these are things the mindless don't consider. So yes Bielema was far superior in getting and keeping talent! Utilizing it poorly is the reason he was fired!

TomasPistola

Jeez Mike. Answer the man's question so we can stop bumping this thread!
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Jimbob111

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 10, 2018, 10:03:24 pm
It's not because I said, it is a fact, not bothering to bring it to you, but CBB ratings are factually higher than Nutt and Petrino. And also the biggest part that most don't consider is both Petrino and Nutt were wash out kings, where 50% of a class or more never contributed before they were gone, so that 30th rated class is really 65th if you have 8 solid contributors, these are things the mindless don't consider. So yes Bielema was far superior in getting and keeping talent! Utilizing it poorly is the reason he was fired!

If Bielema was better at getting talent he was much worse at coaching than either Nutt or Petrino on their worst day. If he had better talent than both and he lost more games than both, rather than equal, then going by your analogy he only won half the conference games he did...

Regardless of the rankings, Brett did not get "talent" so much as he got big, slow players. He rather got anyone with speed and if he did, they either sat the bench or were switched to a new position which slowed them down trying to learn the new position.

I think the Hogs have talent but they don't have speed. All the slow talent in the world can't beat speed in the right areas.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

CarolinaSwine

Inhogswetrust

The Cupboard isn't bare but it isn't full either.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 11, 2018, 07:25:44 am
The Cupboard isn't bare but it isn't full either.

You are right. It isn't the best that it could be but it also isn't as bad as it could be.

I went back and looked at recruiting from the 2013 class through the 2017 class (5 years) for all of the SEC and then looked at the number of wins that those classes produced in the 2016 and 2017 seasons combined. I simplified the "star" rating system by just giving a straight 5 pts for a 5 star, 4 for a 4 star, etc. and then totaled all of those points over the 5 classes and divided that by the number of players signed.

What that revealed was how much talent everyone recruited, the average star pts p/player and finally, comparing that to the number of games each team won over the last two years. It's a simplistic approach but it does show which HC and Staff did a great job (given their talent level) and which did not. Though I have the entire SEC's numbers, I'm limiting this to the teams who have similar player star points (3 teams).

Signed           Total Star Pts          Player Avg          Wins(Last 2 seasons)
Miss State         118                    373                    3.16                           15
Kentucky           120                    377                    3.14                           14
Arkansas           122                    387                    3.17                           11

When you think of all of the games that we narrowly lost instead of narrowly winning, or the second half collapses that shouldn't have occurred and realize that these games could have easily gone the other way with the talent we have on campus right now, there may be cause for optimism for 2018.
Go Hogs Go!

The OTR

Quote from: Pudgepork on February 10, 2018, 07:02:25 pm
Hard to run fast with a belly full of pb&j.   Add a few sips of gatorade and it'd be sloshing as you run

Hence we have the real reason for CBB's failure and no media member, even Mike Irwin, would ever address that issue. I'm hoping maybe Bo will when he gets here.

If these two came in here and promised to have an honest (not dishonest jelly sandwich discussion, mind you - that's more of a hogville thing) discussion on the radio about the issue I'd almost guarantee they'd have the highest ratings they'd ever had on Bo's show.

We look like we had a tranquilizer at halftime almost every game for the last few years yet nobody in the media ever questioned our little secret halftime picnics.  Other than the museum business which I've always said is dishonest due to the Smithsonian covering up the fact that giants once roamed the earth, Arkansas media proved itself to be on par with the Smithsonian in terms of covering up jellygate.

Just one man's opinion.

SRV

- Mark Twain

I agree. I've thought one of the main problems for the last 2 years has been mental toughness. I'm sure coaching plays a part in that, but I don't know how much. I think CM has pieces to work with and hopefully his enthusiasm and changes will have the same kind of effect on the team that HDN had in his first year.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

rtr

Quote from: CarolinaSwine on February 11, 2018, 07:14:51 am
So an 8-0 run to start the season?
Think of the implications of that if it occurred.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.