Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gafford?

Started by checkraiser88, January 27, 2018, 05:58:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

Dr. Starcs

Who's that?  The rest of the team certainly doesn't know.

The_Iceman

Regressing under the coaching of Mike Anderson and his staff.

Monsterhog

The young man is just that. YOUNG and needs more time.   NBA can wait at least 2 more years.

b-ash

What do you expect from him?  He isn't a guard so he doesn't sniff the ball.  We are the most selfish team to ever play.

Beaverfever

He's been missing for awhile.  I felt like I was the only one who was noticing.  I said he was a three or four year player the other day and people thought I was crazy. 

hobhog

They just tell him to stand on block and hold hand up. He hardly moves and defense just puts big man on him and they stand there. Brilliant. Not Gaffords fault he is being wasted.

hogmolar

Doesn't help himself out any when he gets chances.

hog47

No offense just playground Ball. Make it up as you go. Gafford has no chance in this offense.

Hogs run wild

the kid is a true freshman who has the passion and competitiveness to place a lot of stress on himself to be successful. he's trying too hard instead of letting the game come to him. it's a little bump in the road. once he figures it out, watch out.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 27, 2018, 06:00:25 pm
Regressing under the coaching of Mike Anderson and his staff.

Just like Portis and Kingsley

apcapri

Seems to me that teams have seen what he can do so they put more defensive effort into denying/guarding him. Still the same player he's been just more focus on stopping him.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: checkraiser88 on January 27, 2018, 05:58:54 pm
He's regressing..

He's not regressing. He's playing exactly like many of us they actually saw him play in summer ball and high school expected.

Teams are now game planning for him.

Bkhardicars

I wouldn't say he is regressing just yet. HE got schooled at GA by their senior big man and has definitely lost some confidence . JUst needs a good game the next outing and hopefully he'll bounce back.

East TN HAWG

It may be more of a factor there is more film on Gafford and teams know how to defend him better.  He just has to over come it.  Team mates have to get him ball as well.

k.c.hawg

January 27, 2018, 08:15:22 pm #15 Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:47:53 pm by k.c.hawg
Everyone in their right mind knew he was offensively challenged. He still made a couple of nice plays after sitting out a good portion of the 1st half. He will have more good games when the match ups favor him.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

JayHog

Ever heard of the freshman wall? Where coming out of high school, freshmen aren't used to this rigorous of a practice and game schedule?  He could be hitting that wall.

Or maybe we are overthinking it. Maybe he just happened to catch back to back teams that had big guys that knew how to defend the post really well. And it could something as simple as that. They rest of the year will tell the tale.

sadhogfan

He's regressing..

Because it's unheard of for freshmen to have slumps?

hoglady

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 27, 2018, 07:41:35 pm
Just like Portis and Kingsley

Really - Portis regressed into the #22 pick in the NBA draft.
Wish all our players could regress like that.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Gafford struggles with big, physical big men.
He's getting pushed around, pushed off the block and taken out of the play on rebounds because he can't stand his ground.
He's needs to get bigger and stronger and he will (this summer).
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hogfanny

I think Watkins is supposed to be the big man coach. He has a fine prospect and needs to produce or get replaced. All our bigs seem to under acheive. Try to get BIG_O to assist!

PrimHawg

They never pass it to him. He will be wide open. Point guard looks him off and throws to other side of the court

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hoglady on January 27, 2018, 08:23:49 pm
He's getting pushed around, pushed off the block and taken out of the play on rebounds because he can't stand his ground.

and work on FT's..

TushCrush

Gafford has been working hard. He's coming up against some pretty good front lines. He'll get there. He won the game for us tonight with a hard earned tip-in. Nobody is giving him anything. He is fighting for what he gets.

lynbug

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 27, 2018, 06:00:00 pm
Who's that? The rest of the team certainly doesn't know.
I don't think there's enough ball sharing at times.  Then again, Gafford can be a liability(if he gets fouled) or a plus, like tonight with the tip-in. But if he gets in early foul trouble we shouldn't expect a lot down the stretch.  He plays differently.  Well....he has to play differently in that situation.  Thank goodness Trey has stepped up lately.

VirginiaHog

He will be a beast next year with Harris at point guard
If he stays.

hoglady

Quote from: VirginiaHog on January 27, 2018, 08:33:18 pm
He will be a beast next year with Harris at point guard
If he stays.

Where in the world would he go??
Certainly not the NBA / and I see no reason at all for him to transfer.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 27, 2018, 07:58:06 pm
He's not regressing. He's playing exactly like many of us they actually saw him play in summer ball and high school expected.

This is it. Plain and simple. If you get aggressive with him and push him away from the basket, he's been struggling getting off a good shot.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Razorback_Mack

Yep. I actually watched him play high school ball and was shocked with his performance early in the year.

HawgHeadCheese

Watching the last few games made me think was different between young Bobby and a young Gafford. Portis IQ and skills was the reason he was better  than Gafford. I remember annoucer saying he only started playing in the 9th grade or something like that. He still has some learning to do.

bjeffersonhog

Gafford has only been playing basketball for like 3 years.  IF you watched him in highschool last year he had a hard time against people who could muscle him around.  He has come a long way in 1 year.  He is one of the most athletic big men we have ever had on campus. If he can get a couple posts moves instead of just trying to out athlete everyone around the basket he is going to be scary good.  There is a reason he is being projected as a draft pick right now.

hoglady

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 27, 2018, 08:45:48 pm
Watching the last few games made me think was different between young Bobby and a young Gafford. Portis IQ and skills was the reason he was better  than Gafford. I remember annoucer saying he only started playing in the 9th grade or something like that. He still has some learning to do.

Hopefully Gafford has the work ethic of Portis.
If he does the work in the off season - he will be much improved next year.

razorback1829

Freshman wall. Was bound to hit. He's a good player and learns quickly. He'll be back to normal soon. Glad Trey is playing better.

thebignasty

Quote from: JayHog on January 27, 2018, 08:15:36 pm
Ever heard of the freshman wall? Where coming out of high school, freshmen aren't used to this rigorous of a practice and game schedule?  He could be hitting that wall.

Or maybe we are overthinking it. Maybe he just happened to catch back to back teams that had big guys that knew how to defend the post really well. And it could something as simple as that. They rest of the year will tell the tale.

Looks like he's hit the freshman wall a bit to me.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

k.c.hawg

Quote from: hoglady on January 27, 2018, 08:20:49 pm
Really - Portis regressed into the #22 pick in the NBA draft.
Wish all our players could regress like that.

He was throwing sarcasm at the previous post that insinuated Gafford was regressing because of CMA's coaching.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hoglady

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 27, 2018, 08:51:05 pm
He was throwing sarcasm at the previous post that insinuated Gafford was regressing because of CMA's coaching.

Misread his post  - thanks for clearing that up

hawginbigd1

Quote from: bjeffersonhog on January 27, 2018, 08:46:55 pm
Gafford has only been playing basketball for like 3 years.  IF you watched him in highschool last year he had a hard time against people who could muscle him around.  He has come a long way in 1 year.  He is one of the most athletic big men we have ever had on campus. If he can get a couple posts moves instead of just trying to out athlete everyone around the basket he is going to be scary good.  There is a reason he is being projected as a draft pick right now.
Posted early on that in conference he would get pushed around and would be in foul trouble and that TT would need to have a big year, for us to be successful, and a bunch of homers who don't know their butt from a hole in the ground just laughed or said things people who don't know spit say.....wonder if they are still laughing and talking stupid!

hogwood

I agree. Before the season started I had thought he'd average something like 8ppg/5rpg off the bench with Thompson starting and they would split minutes.

I think he will still have his nights. But he is not a threat when posting up, can't handle the ball facing the basket, and he can't shoot mid rangers. He is not too hard to defend.

At first I thought he needed the ball more. Now when he gets it he gets double teamed and he can't handle it or he takes a wild shot. I think he needs more touches... but first what needs to happen is the guards need to drive and dish to get it to him so he can be cutting to the ball/basket with at most one defender in the way. The guards have to learn how to get the ball to him because he can't score on the block very often at this point.

BigoBoys

Quote from: hoglady on January 27, 2018, 08:23:49 pm
There you have it.  Spot on! 

rude1

Quote from: hogwood on January 27, 2018, 09:11:21 pm
I agree. Before the season started I had thought he'd average something like 8ppg/5rpg off the bench with Thompson starting and they would split minutes.

I think he will still have his nights. But he is not a threat when posting up, can't handle the ball facing the basket, and he can't shoot mid rangers. He is not too hard to defend.

At first I thought he needed the ball more. Now when he gets it he gets double teamed and he can't handle it or he takes a wild shot. I think he needs more touches... but first what needs to happen is the guards need to drive and dish to get it to him so he can be cutting to the ball/basket with at most one defender in the way. The guards have to learn how to get the ball to him because he can't score on the block very often at this point.
There's film on him now, teams now have seen him doing chin ups on the rim when he gets a clean run to the rim. They know he is not nearly effective if he has to work from outside the paint in. Needs to add a mid range jump shot to counteract what defenses are doing to him, as he isn't nearly strong enough to go take the spot he wants.

Nickle-Pig

been saying all along he is green give him time
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

King Kong

Teams are doing a better job of not helping off him preventing his easy baskets. Simple scouting report stuff. They don't want to get Mizzou'ed with easy dunks

That plus the normal freshman wall, it's to be expected. Closer to the end of the season I would expect him to pick it back up

urkillnmesmalls

He's doing a decent job of posting up and getting position for the ball to be fed into him, but for whatever reason, the guards aren't getting it to him.  I'm not sure why that is, but part of it may be that he hasn't had a lot of success lately when they do dump it down. 

Right now...I think he's better served to play a little away from the basket and be utilized in the pick and roll.  It would help clear the lane out for our dribble penetration, and they could play off him cutting to the basket more.  He's quick and athletic, more than strong and polished, so they need to take advantage of that skill while working on developing the others.

I agree with those who say he is green.  I just hope we have a staff that can develop him into a bigger scoring threat.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

chortle

Quote from: PrimHawg on January 27, 2018, 08:25:44 pm
They never pass it to him. He will be wide open. Point guard looks him off and throws to other side of the court

This happened multiple times tonight.

Why we can't run an inside out offense like we did with Corliss and Scotty is beyond me.

Macon and Barford seem insistent on getting their looks off the dribble, about 30 seconds into the shot clock. Or Beard and Jones doing the same, about 5 seconds into the shot clock.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: chortle on January 27, 2018, 11:47:45 pm
This happened multiple times tonight.

Why we can't run an inside out offense like we did with Corliss and Scotty is beyond me.

Macon and Barford seem insistent on getting their looks off the dribble, about 30 seconds into the shot clock. Or Beard and Jones doing the same, about 5 seconds into the shot clock.

I'm not sure Gafford has the game experience needed to play that style effectively.  He gets doubled, and they poke the ball away pretty frequently.  I would love to see it come to fruition, but he's got to do a better job of holding onto the ball and either passing it out quicker, or making a move when he's not doubled.  Instincts come with time, and I still see him as being very green with a TON of potential with his athleticism and length.   

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Soooie21

Quote from: b-ash on January 27, 2018, 06:05:12 pm
What do you expect from him?  He isn't a guard so he doesn't sniff the ball.  We are the most selfish team to ever play.
Then he doesn't need to be out at the 3 point line guarding them...

HatfieldHog

Gafford isn't a "one and done" caliber player.  He has great upside, but needs much more time to mature.  He needs 20 lbs of muscle!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

USChog

People on this forum are nuts. He is not being wasted, he is being bullied. The fatigue and banging down low is starting to wear on him. MA and his staff know how to improve big men. Kingsley and Portis both improved majorly, and so will Gafford.

Hollywood_HOGan45

He's regressing..

This isn't the worst thing. We are winning while he's playing like junk.

Maybe he will be back next year with Reggie Chaney.

chortle

Quote from: HatfieldHog on January 28, 2018, 09:02:34 am
Gafford isn't a "one and done" caliber player.  He has great upside, but needs much more time to mature.  He needs 20 lbs of muscle!

See ya

To be fair, the NBA more often than not, drafts on "upside" these days.