• 391,950 Topics
• 22,133 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2018 SEC Football Projections  (Read 127 times)

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
2018 SEC Football Projections
« on: January 18, 2018, 06:09:05 am »

ESPN’s ‘Way-too-early’ Top 25 includes 6 SEC teams

2. Alabama
5. Georgia
13. Auburn
19. Mississippi State
23. LSU
25. South Carolina

SEC Country’s Alex Martin Smith released his own version of the Way-too-Early Top 25
1. Georgia
2. Alabama
5. Auburn
19. LSU
20. South Carolina

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Re: 2018 SEC Football Projections
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 07:27:16 am »

AL.com sports
‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

So how's the SEC West going to shake out this fall?

Here are a few early predictions:
 https://trib.al/dkZHLL2

Bama: It's worth remembering that although the Crimson Tide won the national championship in 2017, it didn't win the SEC West. The personnel losses on defense -- particularly in the secondary --

Auburn: Though the season didn't end the way they wanted to, the Tigers had a memorable 2017, with wins over Alabama and Georgia. That resulted in a huge new contract for Gus Malzahn, who faces a slight rebuilding job this season. Most of the offensive line is gone, as is team MVP Kerryon Johnson and a number of key defensive players.

State: Boy, I really wanted to pick the Bulldogs to finish second, and if Dan Mullen had returned this season I might have. But I can't help but shake the feeling that a new coaching staff means they won't quite be ready for prime time.

A&M: How much difference can a serious coaching upgrade make? We'll find the answer to that question in the 2018 Aggies, who replace underachieving Kevin Sumlin with very well-paid Jimbo Fisher. The Aggies have to figure out an answer at quarterback and face a tough West schedule (at Alabama, at Auburn, at Mississippi State)...

LSU: If there's a controversial pick on this list, I guess it's the Tigers, whom I just don't see getting better in Year 2 of the Ed Orgeron experiment. LSU suffered its usual early exodus of players to the NFL and made a downgrade at offensive coordinator with Steve Ensminger replacing Matt Canada.

Arkansas: The Razorbacks were a disaster on both sides of the ball in 2017, leading to the ouster of the affable Bret Bielema. However, the school made what I believe was an excellent hire in Chad Morris, who should bring some offensive excitement back to Fayetteville.

Ole Miss: The Rebels were a pleasant surprise in the second half of 2017, rallying behind interim (now permanent) coach Matt Luke to finish 6-6, including a rout of Mississippi State in the Egg Bowl. Problem is, quarterback Shea Patterson and a number of other key players transferred out after Ole Miss was hit with a second year of postseason sanctions.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Re: 2018 SEC Football Projections
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 06:39:00 pm »

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

ESPN re-ranks SEC squads in new post-Signing Day Top 25

Bama stayed at No. 2
Georgia moved up to No. 3
Auburn fell one spot to No. 14.
State fell one spot to No. 20.
LSU remained at No. 23.