Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

S-E-C Chant and Arkansas Razorbacks

Started by koreaben, January 08, 2018, 04:55:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 09, 2018, 01:40:00 pm
How has that money translated to Ws? For all your ranting you never can answer that question

I don't think anyone has asked that question in this thread. The OP relates to the SEC chant, a regular seasonal topic on Hogville.

More money translates into things like the NEZ project. Arkansas's new player facilities will be new and up to the best SEC standards. Recruits are influenced by player facilities. They are expensive. Players win games. Players must be recruited.

Arkansas could win more games for less money with a different schedule. Would you rather compete in the SEC or the Mountain West?  If all SEC schools lost OOC and bowl games, the SEC would be equivalent to the Mountain West.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Peter Porker

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 09, 2018, 01:55:45 pm
I don't think anyone has asked that question in this thread. The OP relates to the SEC chant, a regular seasonal topic on Hogville.

More money translates into things like the NEZ project. Arkansas's new player facilities will be new and up to the best SEC standards. Recruits are influenced by player facilities. They are expensive. Players win games. Players must be recruited.

Arkansas could win more games for less money with a different schedule. Would you rather compete in the SEC or the Mountain West?  If all SEC schools lost OOC and bowl games, the SEC would be equivalent to the Mountain West.

Which one is easier to win in? I mean, that's what matters right? Our team winning? I'd trade what Boise did in the early 2000s vs anything we've done since joining the SEC.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

steveaustin69

Again, we've been in the SEC for 26 years; how has all this money contributed to Ws?

RME

Those teams who already kick our ass get that money too. Do they not invest in their facilities and constantly enhance and upgrade them?

If Arkansas was the only team that did that, you'd have an argument. But teams that beat us year in and year out also do it. They beat us then go win championships and invest in their stadium and facilities. Recruits see that, too.

Remind me how that helps us get more wins per year?

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 02:03:45 pm
Those teams who already kick our ass get that money too. Do they not invest in their facilities and constantly enhance and upgrade them?

If Arkansas was the only team that did that, you'd have an argument. But teams that beat us year in and year out also do it. They beat us then go win championships and invest in their stadium and facilities. Recruits see that, too.

Remind me how that helps us get more wins per year?

No, they PAY their players! I'd rather play by the rules and lose with a clear conscience than cheat and win! MONEY, that's what the recruits see!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 09, 2018, 02:00:47 pm
Which one is easier to win in? I mean, that's what matters right? Our team winning? I'd trade what Boise did in the early 2000s vs anything we've done since joining the SEC.

So you, austin and ego are for moving to a lesser conference.  Start a poll and see how many here agree with you.

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 09, 2018, 04:16:10 pm
So you, austin and ego are for moving to a lesser conference.  Start a poll and see how many here agree with you.

You still have not answered how more $ = more Ws

RME

January 09, 2018, 04:32:59 pm #107 Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 04:46:21 pm by RyanMallettsEgo
Quote from: bphi11ips on January 09, 2018, 04:16:10 pm

Show me where I said this. I never did. I said rooting for teams in our own conference who are better than us doesn't make sense to me, given the two reasons that have been provided: other fanbases do it, and money.

Also show me where Alabama, Auburn, and LSU's success brings us more wins. You refuse to do so.

You do need help with your footwork --- it should help you tiptoe around answering direct questions.

You're a master at deflection and, rather than engage, you attempt to spin the narrative to fit your agenda --- and when that fails, you attempt to play me off as a defeatist, and say that I am advocating a move to a lesser conference, which I have not done.

If you're gonna lump me in with those guys, I'll lump you in with the posters in another thread who said they'd rather have an exciting loss to Alabama than a boring win over Oklahoma State. Yeah. We had guys on a Hog message board say they'd prefer a loss to an SEC school rather than a win over an outsider. I mean, you're an SEC-ist so surely you feel the same as them, right? Start a poll and see how many here would prefer a loss to a win. See, I can do it too.

bphi11ips

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 04:32:59 pm
Show me where I said this. I never did. I said rooting for teams in our own conference who are better than us doesn't make sense to me, given the two reasons that have been provided: other fanbases do it, and money.

Also show me where Alabama, Auburn, and LSU's success brings us more wins. You refuse to do so.

You do need help with your footwork --- it should help you tiptoe around answering direct questions.

You're a master at deflection and, rather than engage, you attempt to spin the narrative to fit your agenda --- and when that fails, you attempt to play me off as a defeatist, and say that I am advocating a move to a lesser conference, which I have not done.

If you're gonna lump me in with those guys, I'll lump you in with the posters in another thread who said they'd rather have an exciting loss to Alabama than a boring win over Oklahoma State. Yeah. We had guys on a Hog message board say they'd prefer a loss to an SEC school rather than a win over an outsider. I mean, you're an SEC-ist so surely you feel the same as them, right? Start a poll and see how many here would prefer a loss to a win. See, I can do it too.

Neither you nor the other two make any sense.  I've said that money provides the facilities  to attract top talent.  Your response is that everyone does that.  So what?  Top coaches also attract top talent.  You have to pay those guys.  It takes money.

I don't know how many ways there are to say this - you can win more games with less money if you reduce the level of competition.  You want to be Boise State?  Fine.  Most Arkansas fans don't.

I never said more money = more wins.  That's a derail question but here's an extreme answer - you want Nick Saban?  At some point maybe he has a price.  Saban himself said he's not the best coach in college football, but he does claim to be the best recruiter.  There's eveidence to support that claim.  My guess is most here would agree Saban would win more games at Arkansas than any other coach we have had since joining the SEC.  Pay him whatever it will take. $25M/year?  Stupid response to a stupid question.

Hogville can be a place for meaningful discussion.  It can also be a place where one is best served by heeding the advice against arguing with idiots.  They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

SEC chant threads are as old and predictable as GSD threads.  Your comments and others in this thread amount to nothing more than sour grapes.  Poor sportsmanship is one of the few things that are worse than losing.

RME

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 09, 2018, 06:57:13 pm
Neither you nor the other two make any sense.  I've said that money provides the facilities  to attract top talent.  Your response is that everyone does that.  So what?  Top coaches also attract top talent.  You have to pay those guys.  It takes money.

I don't know how many ways there are to say this - you can win more games with less money if you reduce the level of competition.  You want to be Boise State?  Fine.  Most Arkansas fans don't.

I never said more money = more wins.  That's a derail question but here's an extreme answer - you want Nick Saban?  At some point maybe he has a price.  Saban himself said he's not the best coach in college football, but he does claim to be the best recruiter.  There's eveidence to support that claim.  My guess is most here would agree Saban would win more games at Arkansas than any other coach we have had since joining the SEC.  Pay him whatever it will take. $25M/year?  Stupid response to a stupid question.

Hogville can be a place for meaningful discussion.  It can also be a place where one is best served by heeding the advice against arguing with idiots.  They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

SEC chant threads are as old and predictable as GSD threads.  Your comments and others in this thread amount to nothing more than sour grapes.  Poor sportsmanship is one of the few things that are worse than losing.

Attempting to hide your disdain and disagreement through thinly-veiled and upturned-nose ad hominems. Well done.

bphi11ips

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 07:55:46 pm
Attempting to hide your disdain and disagreement through thinly-veiled and upturned-nose ad hominems. Well done.

Au contraire. My disdain was quite direct. Your jealousy of better programs stinks. Holding my nose.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2018, 07:55:09 am
It means UGA and Bama are superior. No one thinks Kentucky, Vandy, Arkansas, Missouri, etc are football powerhouses because Bama wins national championships every other year.
Exactly.   It's about teams, not conferences.  If Bama switched to the ACC or Big 12 or Big ten they would still be very good.  If Mizzou or UK switched to the ACC or Big 10 they would still be mediocre. 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 09, 2018, 04:29:30 pm
You still have not answered how more $ = more Ws
Sure he did a couple times now, reading comprehension is your friend

Oliver

I was at that Texas Arkansas game in War Memorial.  Was 10 years old.  One of the better memories I have about Arkansas football games. 

RME

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 09, 2018, 08:45:16 pm
Au contraire. My disdain was quite direct. Your jealousy of better programs stinks. Holding my nose.

Finally, we agree. I am jealous of Alabama's success. If envying the success of an SEC West foe who's won 5 national championships in 11 years is a bad case of jealousy, then I've got a bad case of jealousy. I want that type of success for my alma mater. Who wouldn't?

Maybe you don't. And that's fine. You can be happy for Alabama winning another national championship while we go 4-8. Suit yourself. I'm not fine with that, but you can be. Keep givin' us those S-E-C checks, baby. They've given us just countless wins thus far.

Your cheering for programs who turn around and beat the hell out of us every year stinks.

bphi11ips

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 11:57:22 pm
Finally, we agree. I am jealous of Alabama's success. If envying the success of an SEC West foe who's won 5 national championships in 11 years is a bad case of jealousy, then I've got a bad case of jealousy. I want that type of success for my alma mater. Who wouldn't?

Maybe you don't. And that's fine. You can be happy for Alabama winning another national championship while we go 4-8. Suit yourself. I'm not fine with that, but you can be. Keep givin' us those S-E-C checks, baby. They've given us just countless wins thus far.

Your cheering for programs who turn around and beat the hell out of us every year stinks.

I answered a derail question. Here's one for you and your friends:  How do SEC losses in OOC games help the Razorbacks win?

RME

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 10, 2018, 07:13:44 am
I answered a derail question. Here's one for you and your friends:  How do SEC losses in OOC games help the Razorbacks win?

Yes, let's talk about derailing a thread when your response to my initial response of "I'm an Arkansas Razorbacks fan. I'm not an SEC fan." was to quote me and lump me in with "Hogville jackwagons" simply because I shared a different opinion than you. There was no malice, vitriol, or snark in my initial response. I was stating a fact --- one that you think might be popular on an Arkansas Razorbacks message board (rooting for the Razorbacks? No way!). Then, the childish accusations occurred. So yeah. Derailment.

SEC losses in OOC games don't help the Razorbacks win. SEC losses in OOC games don't cause the Razorbacks lose. SEC wins in OOC games give our opponents more prestige, more exposure, and more money, all while we're playing Coastal Carolina on SEC Network Alternate at 11 AM. I'd say that's a detriment to us --- no?

Alabama, Auburn, LSU, et al beating Arkansas head to head causes the Razorbacks to lose. It's actually pretty simple when you boil it down.

Look no further than 2011, our best year in recent memory. 11-2. What two teams beat us? What two teams were ranked #1 and #2 while we were #3? Remind me of how Alabama and LSU being successful helps us again?

Had just one of those teams been down, we might have been playing for the national championship. But it doesn't matter to you. An SEC team won the national championship, which gave us a lot of money and gave you a reason to cheer them on while you formed a circle with your other SECers in Nashville.

steveaustin69

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 09, 2018, 10:14:57 pm
Sure he did a couple times now, reading comprehension is your friend

How? We get better facilities? Guess what?  So does the rest of the SEC. How does that translate to Ws? It doesn't and hasn't.  Rooting for Alabama because it gives the SEC more money does NOTHING for Razorback wins and losses.

steveaustin69

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 10, 2018, 07:44:40 am
How do SEC wins in OOC games help the Razorbacks win?

They don't. Mind boggling this guy doesn't get that

bphi11ips

Michael D Huff AIA

If there is a football game going on that the Razorbacks are not playing in, I'm rooting for the SEC team.  When bowl games are concerned, I'm rooting for the SEC team because they are from the SEC AND because their presence in said bowl game means $$$ to our (and all other SEC teams') bottom line.  When the conference is better, we are better off. 

And the conference has been very good for a very long time. Since the start of the BCS the SEC had a representative playing for the National Championship in
1998    2003    2006    2007    2008    2009    2010    2011    2012    2013    2015    2016    2017, and of those 13 times the SEC has won 11 of them.

The SEC has proven it's superiority over time at the highest level.

The question on the table is 'how does this translate into more wins for us?'  The short answers are, 'it doesn't' and 'it can't'.  Not directly.  It can't directly contribute to winning, as winning is not a commodity that can be directly purchased under NCAA rules,  but it can put us into a financial situation that will allow us to more effectively compete for players that may otherwise choose other schools by having better facilities for those players to use and play in.  Facility construction as a recruiting tool is an expensive bet, and does not, at the end of the day, trump good coaching. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on January 10, 2018, 09:01:40 am
If there is a football game going on that the Razorbacks are not playing in, I'm rooting for the SEC team.  When bowl games are concerned, I'm rooting for the SEC team because they are from the SEC AND because their presence in said bowl game means $$$ to our (and all other SEC teams') bottom line.  When the conference is better, we are better off. 

And the conference has been very good for a very long time. Since the start of the BCS the SEC had a representative playing for the National Championship in
1998    2003    2006    2007    2008    2009    2010    2011    2012    2013    2015    2016    2017, and of those 13 times the SEC has won 11 of them.

The question on the table is 'how does this translate into more wins for us?'  The short answers are, 'it doesn't' and 'it can't'.  Not directly.  It can't directly contribute to winning, as winning is not a commodity that can be directly purchased under NCAA rules,  but it can put us into a financial situation that will allow us to more effectively compete for players that may otherwise choose other schools by having better facilities for those players to use and play in.  Facility construction as a recruiting tool is an expensive bet, and does not, at the end of the day, trump good coaching.

In the SEC for 26 years w next to no big time success. Are we just acting like the last quarter century did not happen?  Bama winning and indirectly getting us more money does not translate to wins. Yeah sure, better facilities, more money; we've had that for a quarter century and what has that gotten us?  Rooting for the SEC does not make sense. I root for Arkansas

bphi11ips

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 10, 2018, 09:05:59 am
Got a clean bill of health from the doctor last week, sir.

Glad to hear that steady drip finally stopped.

Busta_Nutt

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on January 08, 2018, 08:03:33 am
That's right.  If it irritates Big 10, Big 12 and the Big whatever, I'm for it.

Spot on.

Justagp

Quote from: koreaben on January 08, 2018, 04:55:08 am
Interesting story about the S-E-C chant.
Rittenberg writes good pieces.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21994162/history-fun-obnoxious-inescapable-sec-football-chant
Thank you for sharing this! Who would have ever guessed it began with our Hogs - got to love it!

Justagp

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on January 10, 2018, 09:01:40 am

Agree