Rick Barnes to Tennessee

Started by ricepig, March 30, 2015, 02:58:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog_One_Stop

Rick Barnes must like orange

jbcarol

Quote from: Hog_One_Stop on March 31, 2015, 02:19:04 pm

He did not have to change his monogrammed towels.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Michael Hamilton @mikehamilton63  ·  2h 2 hours ago

Love Dave's hire. Success, stability, class....and he has orange ties. Congrats Rick Barnes and Vol Nation. Great fit.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

TNhogfan

I watched the TN press conference introducing Barnes as coach.  Dave Hart began to speak and immediately the sound cut out.  They went through 4 microphones and never were able to get it fixed, so about 3/4th of what Barnes said was unheard.  He has a much bigger contract than the last two along with some nice incentives.  Fans seem cautiously optimistic.

Danny J

Quote from: TNhogfan on March 31, 2015, 03:37:02 pm
I watched the TN press conference introducing Barnes as coach.  Dave Hart began to speak and immediately the sound cut out.  They went through 4 microphones and never were able to get it fixed, so about 3/4th of what Barnes said was unheard.  He has a much bigger contract than the last two along with some nice incentives.  Fans seem cautiously optimistic.
They should be ecstatic! No way I thought they would be able to get a guy like Barnes with all their financial woes. They hit a homerun all things considered.

jesterzzn

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 30, 2015, 05:58:20 pm
Rick Barnes is not going to excite anybody in the Tennessee fan base. It is a "please don't fire me" move by their AD, risk-averse with modest potential gain.
I agree.

Barnes isn't a loser, but he's not going to do as well at Tennessee as I think people are expecting.

HOGINTENNESSEE

March 31, 2015, 05:36:13 pm #56 Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 05:48:47 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: Danny J on March 31, 2015, 03:52:36 pm
They should be ecstatic! No way I thought they would be able to get a guy like Barnes with all their financial woes. They hit a homerun all things considered.

Yeah, for UT standards Barnes is an excellent hire.

jgphillips3

Well, he's a lot better than what they had but not a home run.  He'll probably do well but not fantastic.

jesterzzn

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 31, 2015, 05:36:29 pm
Well, he's a lot better than what they had but not a home run.  He'll probably do well but not fantastic.

On a scale of John Gruden to Dana Altman, I'd say he's a solid Stan Heath.  He'll win some; he'll lose some, and eventually he'll be asked to leave as soon as they think they are chasing a whale that can replace him.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Hog_One_Stop on March 31, 2015, 02:19:04 pm

And he was at Clemson before tex so he has hit all colors of the Orange spectrum from regular to burnt to puke

husker71

TJ Ford was a superstar in college.  he is the only freshman to ever  lead the nation in assists.  He won both  the Wooden and Naismith awards. He was named POY by nearly every publication.  He had spinal stenis(??) since birth and that later ended his NBA career before he had a chance.  He is a once every 25 year point guard at any school. 

Breems

This dude defines doing less with more.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Danny J

hoglady

Man - considering what money Tenn had to work with and the current state of their program I think it's a great hire.
Tenn fans should be happy. If they aren't they're living in la-la land.
He went to the NCAA tourney what 16 out of 17 years - not too shabby.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

sadhogfan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 30, 2015, 05:58:20 pm
Rick Barnes is not going to excite anybody in the Tennessee fan base. It is a "please don't fire me" move by their AD, risk-averse with modest potential gain.

I talked to a knowledgable UT fan today who was absolutely ecstatic about it and couldn't quit talking about what a great hire it was. So it will definitely excite some of the fan base.

Pancetta

He'll probably lock down Memphis for Tenn
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

rtr

The more smites the more intelligent I get.

jbcarol

Mike Strange @Strangemike44  ·  23m 23 minutes ago
Strange: For Barnes, it feels like 'coming home' via @knoxnews http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/columnists/mike-strange-after-all-these-years-barnes-feels-like-coming-home_80854265 ...

QuoteBarnes, a North Carolinian who spent the past 17 seasons in Austin, Texas, was intent on establishing his cultural bona fides. In the first three minutes of his opening oration, he mentioned Ray Mears, Condredge Holloway, The Ernie & Bernie Show, Pat Summitt and Holly Warlick.

"When people talk about Rocky Top," said Barnes, "I know what they're talking about."

That Barnes is talking about Rocky Top is widely viewed as a major score for Tennessee and athletic director Dave Hart. After a messy parting with Tyndall only last Friday morning, the Vols have a coach with instant credibility.

He may be their third coach in three seasons, but no one can question that Barnes is a good fit. For a guy who never coached a game in the SEC, he knows his way around.

While playing college basketball at Lenoir-Rhyne in his hometown of Hickory, N.C., Barnes wore out I-40 for a year when Candy, his hometown honey and future wife, enrolled at UT to finish her biology degree.

The first big-time college football game he ever saw was in Neyland Stadium (Tennessee beat Tulsa, 1974). After kissing Candy good-bye at Morrill Hall, Barnes would stop at a local deli — probably the old Sam & Andy's — to pick up two steamed roast beef sandwiches for the trek back to Hickory.

Candy Barnes sounded pleased Tuesday to be back at her alma mater.

"I love college football, I really do," she said. "I loved when Peyton (Manning) was here. But I loved Eli, too. Is that OK?"

TNhawgfan

I can attest that UT fans are ecstatic. Delusional inbreeds I work with kept saying yesterday how they now have the second or third best coach in the conference (if going by track record). I personally think Donnie did a good job this year considering he had Josh Richards and NOTHING else. I don't think Barnes is as good of a X's and O's coach, so he better start recruiting big time
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rtr on March 31, 2015, 08:04:41 pm
Nope.

If Josh sticks around he will make serious inroads to it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Wes Rucker @wesrucker247  ·  24h 24 hours ago

With Texas and now Tennessee, what's obvious to me is that Rick Barnes just doesn't like paying state income taxes

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 01, 2015, 08:44:40 am
What basketball coach at UT has ever been successful at getting all the best Memphis kids to Knoxville?

jbcarol

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP  ·  20h 20 hours ago

One of the graphics folks at UT told me it's harder than you might think to photoshop a burnt orange tie into a Tennessee orange.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 01, 2015, 08:44:40 am

Josh gone.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TNhogfan

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 01, 2015, 08:32:33 am
I can attest that UT fans are ecstatic. Delusional inbreeds I work with kept saying yesterday how they now have the second or third best coach in the conference (if going by track record). I personally think Donnie did a good job this year considering he had Josh Richards and NOTHING else. I don't think Barnes is as good of a X's and O's coach, so he better start recruiting big time
They are a delusional bunch.  They think they have the top 2 or 3 coach in every sport.  Funny hearing them on the radio still whining for Pearl. 

You are right Barnes is going to have to find some jucos or 5th year transfers or something. 

jbcarol

Sports Radio WNML @SportsRadioWNML  ·  7m 7 minutes ago

Welcome back to Knoxville Candy Barnes! Can't wait to see your hubby Rick turn up the VOLume in his wardrobe! #VFL

jbcarol

Wes Rucker @wesrucker247  ·  20h 20 hours ago

Just bumped into Rick Barnes by the elevator in the Anderson Training Center. Trying to get used to that guy being here. It's different.

Rick Barnes said he enjoys "Rocky Top." Good thing for him. If he didn't, he'd want to jump off a tall building in approximately one week.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 01, 2015, 09:34:48 am
What basketball coach at UT has ever been successful at getting all the best Memphis kids to Knoxville?

It isn't about Ricks recruiting..............It's about Josh's lack of coaching and recruiting. Rick has name recognition whether big or not moreso than Josh. 

P.S. Jarnell Stokes says Hi......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

TNhawgfan

Jarnells brother had as much to do with that as C Martin did

TNhawgfan

So on the local sports radio this morning, they were talking about how TN now has one of the top three or so coaches in the conference and they talked about every basketball coach. When they got to Arkansas, "Mike Anderson has been a HUGE disappointment there." That was followed up with, "I'll take our duo of Jones and Barnes over any other duo in the conference."
This is why I despise the Vols

rzrbk4life

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 02, 2015, 06:57:11 am
So on the local sports radio this morning, they were talking about how TN now has one of the top three or so coaches in the conference and they talked about every basketball coach. When they got to Arkansas, "Mike Anderson has been a HUGE disappointment there." That was followed up with, "I'll take our duo of Jones and Barnes over any other duo in the conference."

Delusion at its finest. Yea this season was a HUGE disappointment (SEC POY, finished 2nd in the league, made it to the NCAAT)....

Rick Barnes I would say is a decent coach but I think the hogs will be fine. MA isn't scared

Let's call those hogs!!!!

hoglady

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 02, 2015, 06:57:11 am

That's just stupid talk from homers looking through their orange colored glasses. If Mike Anderson is a disappointment with Arkansas' accomplishments this year - what does that say about the rest of the SEC coaches?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  5h 5 hours ago

Rick Barnes is off to a good start at Tennessee. He already has a sandwich named after him. http://www.local8now.com/home/headlines/Big-Fattys-makes-special-Rick-Barnes-hoagie-298350931.html ...

QuoteBig Fatty's makes special Rick Barnes hoagie

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  23h 23 hours ago
Barnes heard rumblings of Vols opening as Texas tenure neared end. One call was from Admiral Schofield's AAU coach http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/new-tennessee-basketball-coach-rick-barnes-discusses-staff-transfers-and-first-days-on-the-job_00482546 ...

Quote* Barnes said knowing the Tennessee job might come open didn't influence his decision to refuse to fire his Texas assistants, a move that might have helped him remain with the Longhorns.

"Some people had called me, unofficially," Barnes said. "People that had nothing to do with it."

One of those people was Dickey Simpkins, former NBA player who played for Barnes at Providence. Simpkins is the AAU coach of Admiral Schofield, one of the Vols' 2015 signees.

* Barnes was asked what he thought of Texas hiring VCU coach Shaka Smart.

"I don't know Shaka a lot," Barnes said. "I know he and (Texas assistant) Rob Lanier have been on the same staff (at Florida). Rob has said nothing but great things about Shaka. I'm happy for our players because I told them the University of Texas will get an excellent coach. I know he's coming into a great situation. He's going to love it."

jbcarol

GoVolsXtra @GoVolsXtra  ·  18h 18 hours ago

Q&A with new Tennessee men's basketball coach Rick Barnes http://bit.ly/1EXNlEs 

QuoteQ: You are Tennessee's third coach in three seasons. Hart stressed the need for stability. How much did that topic come up in the interview process?

A: I don't know if there is any coach coming into the situation who knew as much about Tennessee as I did. I had a picture of my mind in Tennessee from 1974. Ernie and Bernie. Ray Mears. I had it in my head. But it would have never developed if it wasn't for Dave Hart. From the time we talked — stability. I would have worked for him on a handshake. That was point-blank. He didn't have to tell me about the University of Tennessee. I knew as long as he was the athletic director that he has vision, and you just wanted to catch the wind with him, because I've watched him through his career ... He (Hart) knows where I am right now. This is it. I want to do it. One, because, I'm forever grateful he was there. But I believe in it. I believe in the University of Tennessee.

Q: Two of the last three Tennessee coaches, Bruce Pearl and Donnie Tyndall, were fired for NCAA wrongdoing. You have a clean record in that department. How important is that to your legacy?

A: It goes back to mentors. I remember the job at George Mason. My athletic director told me, 'We want to win. But not at all costs.' ... The very first time I sat down with (former Texas) athletic director DeLoss Dodds, I asked him, 'What are you looking for in your basketball coach?' He said, first and foremost — and I've used this term — that we want to protect the integrity of the university...

jbcarol

Brett Edgerton @EditorEdge  ·  12h 12 hours ago

First Duke-Wisconsin game was a long time ago (Dec. 3). How long? Unbeaten Texas was No. 6 in the country. Its coach is now at the other UT.

jbcarol

AP Top 25 @AP_Top25  ·  11h 11 hours ago

Rick Barnes eager for chance to provide stability to Tennessee http://apne.ws/1N5a4Tl  (@stevemegargee) #Vols

Quote"Certainly we've been sensitive to that, the fact (there have) been three different coaches," Barnes said. "You address it, and the bottom line is it is what it is, but this is what we have now. Let's learn from what we've gone through, and let's move forward and let's be thankful for what we have here. Let's be excited that we've got a chance to do something.

"Let's not sit around and moan and groan."

Barnes replaces Donnie Tyndall, who was fired after only one season while the NCAA investigates his two-year tenure at Southern Mississippi. Barnes, who has had a career record of 604-314, will be Tennessee's fourth coach in six seasons.

Although he will be 61 when he makes his Tennessee debut, Barnes insists he's no short-term solution. When he's asked about his age, Barnes points to this year's Final Four, where three of the four coaches were in their 60s...

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  13h 13 hours ago

Rick Barnes' staff at Tennessee: Bringing Chris Ogden and Rob Lanier and adds Desmond Oliver -- formerly of Charlotte.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: husker71 on March 31, 2015, 05:57:22 pm
TJ Ford was a superstar in college.  he is the only freshman to ever  lead the nation in assists.  He won both  the Wooden and Naismith awards. He was named POY by nearly every publication.  He had spinal stenis(??) since birth and that later ended his NBA career before he had a chance.  He is a once every 25 year point guard at any school. 

None of which qualifies him to be a college head coach above others.

jbcarol

Rob Lanier @icehandler  ·  Apr 9

New Chapter. Can already feel the passion for basketball in Knoxville. Looking forward to making it our home.

jbcarol

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP  ·  Apr 9

Rick Barnes on what he'd do if he wasn't coaching, NBA rules college hoops should adopt and ... ice cream. http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/co

QuoteQ: You've taken on challenges at Providence, Clemson and Texas. Is this situation reminiscent of one you've walked into before?

A: "I don't know if I look at it like that. We're here. We have a team, and we have to add some parts to this team. We will not let preseason expectations set our standard, and any time you go into a new situation, whether things have been going good or bad, it's still about developing the culture you want. That's what these next couple of months will be about."

Q: Is the game of college basketball today anywhere close to when you got into it, and what would you change?

A: "It is nowhere near the game of when I played in terms of the physicality of it. When you go back and watch Wooden and those games, there was no contact whatsoever, and if there was any contact, it was a foul. I do think the shot clock will come down to 30 seconds, and that's something important to do. I think we need to take away the five-second count because the official shouldn't be worrying about a count. He should be worrying about officiating the game and the contact.

"There is no doubt we should go to the NBA lane line and the NBA restricted area. The NBA has some great rules in the last minute or two minutes. You can move the ball from the baseline up to half court, and I think we should have jump balls. We start the game with one, and for the money those guys make, they ought to be able to toss the ball up. I think the 3-point line should be moved back. I would just like to see this become a universal game."

jbcarol

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels  ·  30m 30 minutes ago

Eric Davis confirmed he's going to Texas. "My heart is at Texas." Had committed to Rick Barnes. Sticking with Shaka Smart.

GoVolsXtra @GoVolsXtra  ·  39m 39 minutes ago

ICYMI: Tennessee 2016 basketball commit Romello White reopens recruitment http://shar.es/1gVdNO

QuoteRomello White, a 6-foot-8, 215-pound power forward at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., announced the news via Twitter on Tuesday night.

"Due to the firing of the Tennessee coaching staff I am reopening my recruiting process," wrote the four-star prospect. "I'm ready to $ee what else is out there for me."

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  Apr 15

Tennessee's Barnes won't rush recruiting http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/tennessee-basketball-coach-rick-barnes-wont-rush-recruiting_84553642 ...

QuoteThe first day of college basketball's regular signing period passed without occasion for the Tennessee men's basketball team.

If the current roster holds, Barnes can fill up to three scholarships before the signing period ends May 20. But the veteran with 28 seasons as a Division I head coach, including 17 at Texas, isn't about to rush.

"The situation we are in right now is one of the hardest to be in, because you know you don't want to fill scholarships just to fill a scholarship," Barnes said during a Tuesday radio appearance on the Tony Basilio Show. "Those (scholarships) are so valuable to have. So, we have to really dig into everything that we need to know about the kids that we are wanting to sign right now, because of the chemistry. They're really going to be a part of what you are trying to lay in terms of the culture, the foundation."

Add in the fact that Barnes' staff is operating on a skeleton recruiting calendar it inherited from former Vols coach Donnie Tyndall's staff, and the quality-over-quantity approach is a must. Barnes explained during a Monday appearance on Vol Calls that Tyndall's staff used a good portion of the evaluation periods and campus visits allowed by the NCAA.

"That's been a big challenge, because we didn't inherit very many days," Barnes said. "My assistants have done a great job of utilizing the days that we have left."

Barnes' grand plans for recruiting include a national footprint and an ability to tap into other countries, like when the Longhorns plucked one-and-done Canadian power forward Tristan Thompson in 2010.

"We think that we have the same type of calling card we had at Texas," he said during Vol Calls. "We think we can get in anybody's door and, once we get there, we are going to make the best players in the country either tell us yes or no."

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  2h 2 hours ago

Can confirm @AdamZagoria report that Ray Kasongo is scheduled for official visit to Tennessee this weekend (Fri, Sat) http://247sports.com/Player/Ray-Kasongo-21345 ...

That @AdamZagoria note on Ray Kasango visiting Vols is interesting. Mississippi State folks seemed to think he was a near lock. Same for LSU

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  6h 6 hours ago

2015 PF Kyle Alexander confirmed via email that he has a Tennessee offer and will leave tomorrow for a visit with the Vols this weekend.

The_Iceman

hawginbigd1

Looks great, am i the only one that is thinking....I would rather have the other guy he talks about in the Blog ;D

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  12h 12 hours ago

Kyle Alexander? Ray Kasongo? Tennessee basketball staff working Canadian recruiting connections https://shar.es/1pvCNy

QuoteTennessee basketball coach Rick Barnes said early on in his new job that he intends to maintain the Canadian recruiting connections he benefitted from during his 17-season run at Texas.

Canadian forward Kyle Alexander and his parents boarded a plane Thursday for his official visit to UT this weekend. The 6-foot-10 1/2, 200-pound prospect at Orangeville (Ontario) Prep said he received a scholarship offer from UT about two weeks before Barnes and associate head coach Rob Lanier visited him and his parents on Monday. The visit included references to the Canadian players Barnes signed at Texas, a list that includes two players in the NBA playoffs, Tristan Thompson of the Cleveland Cavalier and Cory Joseph of the San Antonio Spurs.

"They told me they have had success bringing in other Canadians they found potential in," Alexander said Wednesday. "They brought that potential out. My dad really respected that."

You won't find a ranking for Alexander on major scouting services.

Alexander will join fellow Canadian Ray Kasongo, a College of Southern Idaho junior college forward originally from Toronto, who is also scheduled for a weekend visit.

jbcarol

Tennessee Basketball @Vol_Hoops  ·  18h 18 hours ago

Guest defensive coach @RickBarnesUT going over the calls with @UTCoachJancek.