Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could Spurrier win at Arkansas?

Started by bythelake, April 27, 2006, 10:46:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 28, 2006, 03:35:03 pm
You want to know what a difference coaching could make at Arkansas?

Just look at Broyles.  He won more conference championships in his first eight years at Arkansas than the program had won in its entire history up to that point.  And...he won three of them in a row in his second, third, and fourth years on the hill.

His teams finished in the top ten six of his first eight years at Arkansas...and played in the equivalent of five BCS bowl games during that time.

I wonder if there were Arkansas fans in 1958 who were telling other fans, "Hiring a new coach isn't going to achieve anything.  Do you people really think we can win conference championships in this league regularly?  LOL.  We are what we are, and we're getting the best we can hope for.  Thinking a new coach could come in here and win conference and national championships is delusional."

Florida did not own a single SEC championship in its history until Spurrier came along.  I think a lot of people, especially younger fans, think the Gators have been a long-time national power, but the fact is they were never better than a mediocre SEC program before Spurrier came along.  His first Florida team would have won the SEC title if they had been eligible (yes...they were on probation...and you can see how long it set Spurrier and his program back...LOL), and he won six more SEC titles before he left...four of them in a row.

He took a Florida program that had been nothing more than a bridesmaid for generations...and went 34-2 over one four year stretch in the BIG, BAD, NOBODY CAN DOMINATE THIS CONFERENCE SEC.

BTW...he won the ACC title his last year at Duke.  They haven't won another championship since he left.

On top of all that, he came within a missed field goal against Georgia of winning the SEC East in his first year at South Carolina...

Spurrier and Nutt should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

Absolutly fantastic post.  Nice job.

BigoBoys

I was told by a reliable source that Spurrier had agreed in principle to be our coach when HDN was headed to Nebraska.  Was told a few hours before HDN got "off" the plane. 

Fire Numb Nutts!!!

Quote from: BigoBoys on April 28, 2006, 10:42:23 pm
I was told by a reliable source that Spurrier had agreed in principle to be our coach when HDN was headed to Nebraska.  Was told a few hours before HDN got "off" the plane. 

Unbelieveable.

First, I can't imagine Spurrier wanting to come to Fayettevile and work under Senile Frank and his handler, Lindsey. There's no coast here and no major PGA type golf courses, which I understand was one of his attractions to Carolina (a free membership at Augusta).

Secondly, even if it were true, I can't believe Broyles and Lindsey would keep Numb Nutts if they had any chance to snag Spurrier -- then again, those two have lost their minds, so that part of the story is plausible.
Yeah, I told Ferret Mop, et al in 2005 that hiring Mal-a-za-wan was just smoke and mirrors from Dale to get Mustain and the others from Springdale to commit...and keep the stadium and the RF coffers full...but did they believe me? Hell no, I got banned. I told ya so.

If you contribute money to this fluster cluck, you are a sucker.

BigoBoys

Quote from: Fire Numb Nutts!!! on April 29, 2006, 12:13:11 am

Unbelieveable.

First, I can't imagine Spurrier wanting to come to Fayettevile and work under Senile Frank and his handler, Lindsey. There's no coast here and no major PGA type golf courses, which I understand was one of his attractions to Carolina (a free membership at Augusta).

Secondly, even if it were true, I can't believe Broyles and Lindsey would keep Numb Nutts if they had any chance to snag Spurrier -- then again, those two have lost their minds, so that part of the story is plausible.
[/quoteDidn't say that I was impressed, just telling you what you know. 

rlamb

If he were here 5 years say,  he wins 3 sec west titles, 2 outright sec titles &
1 national title.

TulsaHogFan

Spurriers average was 10 wins a year.

Damn that would suck

pseudorabies

It was Davis' job if Dale went to Nebraska.

BigoBoys

Quote from: pseudorabies on April 29, 2006, 12:21:35 am

Not true! 

pseudorabies

April 29, 2006, 12:24:42 am #58 Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 12:27:55 am by pseudorabies
Quote from: BigoBoys on April 29, 2006, 12:23:55 am

Not true! 
::)

Some of us on here actually hear things from the source.

Richard_white

Not true! 

You seem to know the situation better than some people on here that knows about the situation.   Please tell me what you know

WestMemphisHogFan

Spurrier is a great coach in my book, and yes he could win at Arkansas.  You don't have to like him, or respect him for that matter, to understand that the "ole ball coach" can get it done, and will get it done where ever he is.

BigoBoys

Quote from: BD 07 on April 29, 2006, 12:29:06 am

Not true! 

You seem to know the situation better than some people on here that knows about the situation.   Please tell me what you know
Unwilling to tell you, but would tell Mike Irwin.  It was a long time department head at the UA. 

Richard_white

Quote from: BigoBoys on April 29, 2006, 12:35:49 am
Quote from: BD 07 on April 29, 2006, 12:29:06 am

Not true! 

You seem to know the situation better than some people on here that knows about the situation.   Please tell me what you know
Unwilling to tell you, but would tell Mike Irwin.  It was a long time department head at the UA. 

Sorry your left in the dark.  Come back if you need more info.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: zwhogfan on April 28, 2006, 05:49:12 am
I believe if Spurrier coached here, we would win. The guy is a jerk, but I would be glad to have him as the HC here.

The day Steve Superior is the coach at Arkansas is the day I build a monument in my front yard to (yuck, spit) Phat Phil Phulmer, paint my house puke orange and program my doorbell to play Rocky Top.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: bythelake on April 27, 2006, 10:46:30 pm
Spurrier is an elitist as a college coach.  Could he recruit and win at the U of A.?

Sure he can.  Saw him do it last year AT Fayetteville, ARKANSAS!

dana caldwell

no way spurrier was locked for arkie had nutt gotten on the cornhusker plane. one of the most ridiculous things i've ever heard.

his base at south carolina is well over $1 million and UF folks wanted him back badly, but foley would have none of that.

could he win at arkansas? the guy could win at bucknell ... oh, wait ...

Burnt Orange Sucks

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on April 29, 2006, 04:26:42 pm
Quote from: zwhogfan on April 28, 2006, 05:49:12 am
I believe if Spurrier coached here, we would win. The guy is a jerk, but I would be glad to have him as the HC here.

The day Steve Superior is the coach at Arkansas is the day I build a monument in my front yard to (yuck, spit) Phat Phil Phulmer, paint my house puke orange and program my doorbell to play Rocky Top.
Quote of the day......I'm out!!!
TEXAS....NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS IN 70?71?72?73?74?75?76?77?78?79?80?81?82?83?84?85?86?87?88?89?90?91?92?93?94?95?96?97?98?99?00?01?02?03?04?05......wait, YES   05'

NEAHAWG

Just look at Broyles.  He won more conference championships in his first eight years at Arkansas than the program had won in its entire history up to that point.  And...he won three of them in a row in his second, third, and fourth years on the hill.

His teams finished in the top ten six of his first eight years at Arkansas...and played in the equivalent of five BCS bowl games during that time.

I wonder if there were Arkansas fans in 1958 who were telling other fans, "Hiring a new coach isn't going to achieve anything.  Do you people really think we can win conference championships in this league regularly?  LOL.  We are what we are, and we're getting the best we can hope for.  Thinking a new coach could come in here and win conference and national championships is delusional."

Florida did not own a single SEC championship in its history until Spurrier came along.  I think a lot of people, especially younger fans, think the Gators have been a long-time national power, but the fact is they were never better than a mediocre SEC program before Spurrier came along.  His first Florida team would have won the SEC title if they had been eligible (yes...they were on probation...and you can see how long it set Spurrier and his program back...LOL), and he won six more SEC titles before he left...four of them in a row.

He took a Florida program that had been nothing more than a bridesmaid for generations...and went 34-2 over one four year stretch in the BIG, BAD, NOBODY CAN DOMINATE THIS CONFERENCE SEC.

BTW...he won the ACC title his last year at Duke.  They haven't won another championship since he left.

On top of all that, he came within a missed field goal against Georgia of winning the SEC East in his first year at South Carolina...

Great post, I think that there should be a rule here on hogville that Nutt and Spurrier names should never be in the same post.

wrightobe

Hawgin84

Obviously he didn't win in the pros, but he can't recruit in the pros.

NCGatorBait

Richard_white

Quote from: wrightobe on April 29, 2006, 10:48:51 pm
Quote from: musiccityhog on April 27, 2006, 10:53:34 pm
Spurrior could win anywhere.
He did not do so good in the Pro's!!

No he didn't but I am sure Arkansas would like him to coach the Hogs

Hawgndaaz

if i'm not mistaken, the man who gives the green jacket away at the masters is an arkansas native...pretty sure we could match that bonus.

P.S. the Allotian golf club in  lil rock is allegedly almost as nice