Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could Spurrier win at Arkansas?

Started by bythelake, April 27, 2006, 10:46:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bythelake

Spurrier is an elitist as a college coach.  Could he recruit and win at the U of A.?

afhogfan1980

any coach with atleast a clue how to do his job could win at arkansas
"Even Lance Armstrong Won Without a Nutt"

AFWarrior83

Hogville member since 2005.

musiccityhog

Your name? Fletch F. Fletch
Your Address? Seven
Your occupation? I'm a Shepherd

llhog

With Spurrier as head Hog ballcoach we would never hear phrases like: he's better hander-offer, punt-catcher or November(when we play nobody worth a damn but LSU) is what they remember.  He just talks about winning championships which is the only reason he coaches.   No bouncing around, special or precious BS about it.  I for one could sure handle 8-4 being a down year.  :razorback:

musiccityhog

Quote from: llhog on April 27, 2006, 10:56:34 pm
With Spurrier as head Hog ballcoach we would never hear phrases like: he's better hander-offer, punt-catcher or November(when we play nobody worth a damn but LSU) is what they remember.  He just talks about winning championships which is the only reason he coaches.   No bouncing around, special or precious BS about it.  I for one could sure handle 8-4 being a down year.  :razorback:
The "puntcatcher" thing really makes me mad!
Your name? Fletch F. Fletch
Your Address? Seven
Your occupation? I'm a Shepherd

Porky OLeary

Yes.
He brought a much less talented team to fayetteville just last year and beat our dumbass handily.

zwhogfan

I believe if Spurrier coached here, we would win. The guy is a jerk, but I would be glad to have him as the HC here.

hogfan064

If you saw the big name recruits he has on his list this year you'd know the answer.  Spurrier is recruiting nationwide.  He already has 2 potential 5 star prospects committed for next year's class and he was in the top 3 for Clausen.  USC is likely to have a top 5-10 class this year.  If Spurrier was at Arkansas we would win the SEC West almost every year and be at worst a top 15 team. 

Brosshog

We'll never find out. Broyles will never spend that kind of money on a coach. :puke:

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogfan064

Quote from: TheHogDR on April 28, 2006, 07:29:57 am
We'll never find out. Broyles will never spend that kind of money on a coach. :puke:

Actually Spurrier isn't being payed that much at USC.  Infact I would be willing to bet HDN is being payed more.  Spurrier was offered a huge contract, but told then athletic director Mike Mcgee to use that money to help with USC's facilities and smaller sports.  Spurrier is well underpaid at USC and has donated thousands to the University since being here in Columbia. 

Feralhog

Quote from: bythelake on April 27, 2006, 10:46:30 pm
Spurrier is an elitist as a college coach.  Could he recruit and win at the U of A.?

This is one of the most ignorant questions I've ever seen.  You can't be serious?  Don't answer.  I don't want to know if you're serious. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

hogfan064

SEC coaches salaries

In Millions
Phil Fulmer 2.05
Tubberville 2.0
Richt 1.8
Nutt  1.5
Miles 1.25
Spurrier 1.25
Orgeron 1.0
Shula  1.0
Croom  900,000

Not sure of Myer, Brooks, or Johnson

Atreyu

1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

Feralhog

Quote from: musiccityhog on April 27, 2006, 10:53:34 pm
Spurrior could win anywhere.

Maybe, maybe not.  The original post suggests winning at Arkansas may be impossible.  I'm usually not this hard on posters, but if there was an award for stupid threads, this one would make the finals.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Factual Fiction

RedSatinHog

Absolutely.  I hate the very sight of Steve Spurrier, but you cannot argue with success.  Anyone who was able to win coaching Duke in football can win anywhere.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

EastexHawg

Could Jessica Alba get a date in Fayetteville if she passed out cards with her picture, phone number, and "Call Me For a Good Time" inscribed on them?

nwarazfan

Hell yes.  First of all he isn't afraid to make staff changes when necessary meaning he would build a staff that could coach and recruit.  And if one isn't getting the job done, he would be gone without Frank's encouragement.  He's one of those few special college coaches that come along each generation where he will win no matter the location.  Given our resources(facilities, financial, only major school in the state)and his rep, he could not only build that fence that Nutt has knocked in Ark but also recruit the entire region. 

Texass made a huge mistake IMO not firing their idiot head coach and going after Spurrier.  They won a NC despite Mack due to Pete's stupid decisions and an Ohio St TE's inability to hold on to a TD pass.  Give Spurrier to the whorns and they would be scary in an all-time dynasty way.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 28, 2006, 09:05:23 am
Could Jessica Alba get a date in Fayetteville if she passed out cards with her picture, phone number, and "Call Me For a Good Time" inscribed on them?

Fuunnnnnnniiiiiiieeeee!  LOL.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: nwarazfan on April 28, 2006, 09:08:13 am

Hell yes.  First of all he isn't afraid to make staff changes when necessary meaning he would build a staff that could coach and recruit.  And if one isn't getting the job done, he would be gone without Frank's encouragement.  He's one of those few special college coaches that come along each generation where he will win no matter the location.  Given our resources(facilities, financial, only major school in the state)and his rep, he could not only build that fence that Nutt has knocked in Ark but also recruit the entire region. 

Texass made a huge mistake IMO not firing their idiot head coach and going after Spurrier.  They won a NC despite Mack due to Pete's stupid decisions and an Ohio St TE's inability to hold on to a TD pass.  Give Spurrier to the whorns and they would be scary in an all-time dynasty way.

Totally agree.  That would be a nightmare for anyone (like me) that hates Texas.
Retired Radio Host

hogsNbeer

Spurrier is a genuis..He has the career to back whatever he says up......   He is recruiting currently very well in a region they said he wouldn't be able to compete...... The so-called experts said he wouldnt' win at S Carolina, or recruit there in that region.(the same ones that say Houston has done great things at Arkansas).... Spurrier will win the East within  2 years or so....His offense works. He has won many big games.....Just a ticking TIME BOMB waiting to go off....... Could he win at Arkansas..?   Like the other poster was saying...With the money, the facilities..... He would WIN most surely here at the University of Arkansas...........  Spurrier is the MAN.....   Our coach doesn't have the knowledge to carry Spurrier's clipboard.......Agreed with the other poster as well who said if he can win at DUKE, he can pretty much win anywhere.......

GorillaJMonsoon

EastexHawg

Spurrier has a great system, he has the reputation to make big-time recruits want to play for him, he has the RESULTS to prove he is a great coach...

But mainly, IMO, Spurrier possesses tremendous intelligence...especially as it relates to football.  Spurrier outthinks, "outstrategizes", and basically outsmarts the vast majority of his coaching opponents.  He has great judgement and feel for the game, and he is tremendous at evaluating talent...both his and his opponent's.

The difference between Steve Spurrier and Houston Nutt as coaches is roughly the same as the difference between SS and HDN as QBs.  Spurrier was a Heisman Trophy winner who led a mediocre (at the time) Florida program to the Orange Bowl.  Nutt was a high school hotshot who was in over his head at the major college level once he had to compete with the big boys...at two different programs.

The thought of Houston Nutt trying to match wits with Steve Spurrier would be comical...if it wasn't so ominous for Razorback fans.  As I've said before, it reminds me of the Sean Connery line from "The Untouchables"..."Well, isn't that just like a wop to bring a knife to a gunfight?"

JJHog

" Think Right, Do Right"

Hawgon

I don't know.  Let's hire him and find out.

Flatfoot

Uh yeah, Spurrier has won whereever he has gone.  I think that he could win big here. 
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

rzrbaxfan

Thats like asking if Matt Jones could score at a sorority party.  HECK YES HE CAN!

casken

As much as I dislike him...that rascall can coach.  Yes he could win.  There are a select few "IMPACT" coaches in the NCAA/NFL that make it happen.  He is one of them I believe.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

hogsNbeer

Quote from: casken on April 28, 2006, 12:51:20 pm

As much as I dislike him...that rascall can coach.  Yes he could win.  There are a select few "IMPACT" coaches in the NCAA/NFL that make it happen.  He is one of them I believe.

Casken...  Not slammin you or anything....Just a question for ya......Why do people not like Spurrier.....?   Because of arrogance?  He'd score a hundred if he wanted to..? running up the score?      Just posing a question.......    For me, I think he's GREAT..... I like coaches with all of these traits......I was just wondering....

Hogs4Ever

The Old Ball Coach could bring us back to elite status in under 3 years.  How long has Nutt been here?   :-\

wonz11

This is a dumb question.  It would be a helluva lot easier for him to win here than it will be at South Carolina.  Nutt has truly mind fricked people into believing that before him Arkansas football didnt exist on any significant level.  I am only 26.  I never saw the greatest days of our program, but that does not mean they didnt exist. 

I think the obvious problem is that we have not had an athletic department from top to bottom dedicated to winning and talented since at the least Hatfield and maybe since Holtz.  We suffer because the Hogs are all we have.  JFB said he could make Arkansas the Nebraska of the South.  Well, he did for a while, and he did it in adversarial conditions.  Now the conditions, money, in-state talent, facilities, conference affiliation, fan support, etc, could not be more favorable for building a great program. 

Everything you could possibly hope for is at Arkansas IMO.  Where the hell are the W's?

Fire Numb Nutts!!!

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 28, 2006, 07:49:37 am
SEC coaches salaries

In Millions
Phil Fulmer 2.05
Tubberville 2.0
Richt 1.8
Nutt  1.5
Miles 1.25
Spurrier 1.25
Orgeron 1.0
Shula  1.0
Croom  900,000

Good grief, you mean Numb Nutts is actually paid more than Spurrier? That's not right, that's really not right.

I hope Spurrier's greens fees perk at Augusta isn't figured into his base salary.
Yeah, I told Ferret Mop, et al in 2005 that hiring Mal-a-za-wan was just smoke and mirrors from Dale to get Mustain and the others from Springdale to commit...and keep the stadium and the RF coffers full...but did they believe me? Hell no, I got banned. I told ya so.

If you contribute money to this fluster cluck, you are a sucker.

nwarazfan

Quote from: wonz11 on April 28, 2006, 03:20:16 pm
This is a dumb question.  It would be a helluva lot easier for him to win here than it will be at South Carolina.  Nutt has truly mind fricked people into believing that before him Arkansas football didnt exist on any significant level.  I am only 26.  I never saw the greatest days of our program, but that does not mean they didnt exist. 

I think the obvious problem is that we have not had an athletic department from top to bottom dedicated to winning and talented since at the least Hatfield and maybe since Holtz.  We suffer because the Hogs are all we have.  JFB said he could make Arkansas the Nebraska of the South.  Well, he did for a while, and he did it in adversarial conditions.  Now the conditions, money, in-state talent, facilities, conference affiliation, fan support, etc, could not be more favorable for building a great program. 

Everything you could possibly hope for is at Arkansas IMO.  Where the hell are the W's?

South Carolina has always been a horrible football program.  Very few bowl appearances and are by far second best in the state to Clemson who beats them down yearly.  If Superior can win there, he could certainly win here.

jvegashawg

Quote from: Fire Numb Nutts!!! on April 28, 2006, 03:22:55 pm
SEC coaches salaries

In Millions
Phil Fulmer 2.05
Tubberville 2.0
Richt 1.8
Nutt  1.5
Miles 1.25
Spurrier 1.25
Orgeron 1.0
Shula  1.0
Croom  900,000

Good grief, you mean Numb Nutts is actually paid more than Spurrier? That's not right, that's really not right.

I hope Spurrier's greens fees perk at Augusta isn't figured into his base salary.

That membership at Augusta would go for more than a million a year on the open market.

Fire Numb Nutts!!!

April 28, 2006, 03:31:05 pm #36 Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 07:59:23 pm by Fire Numb Nutts!!!
Quote from: hogsNbeer on April 28, 2006, 03:01:36 pm

Casken...  Not slammin you or anything....Just a question for ya......Why do people not like Spurrier.....?   Because of arrogance?  He'd score a hundred if he wanted to..? running up the score?      Just posing a question.......    For me, I think he's GREAT..... I like coaches with all of these traits......I was just wondering....

I can answer that. We can't have Spurrier at Arkansas because Spurrier is a genius, but an elitist,  arrogant SOB and not a "fine Christian man" like Numb Nutts is. Senile Frank and Lindsey & Assholciates are protecting the razorback nation from such un-Christian, arrogant elitism.

Also, I don't think Broyles or Lindsey would survive having a coach as intelligent as Spurrier on the Hill -- he'd end up eating them for lunch. That would be mighty un-Christian of Spurrier.
Yeah, I told Ferret Mop, et al in 2005 that hiring Mal-a-za-wan was just smoke and mirrors from Dale to get Mustain and the others from Springdale to commit...and keep the stadium and the RF coffers full...but did they believe me? Hell no, I got banned. I told ya so.

casken

Casken...  Not slammin you or anything....Just a question for ya......Why do people not like Spurrier.....?   Because of arrogance?  He'd score a hundred if he wanted to..? running up the score?      Just posing a question.......    For me, I think he's GREAT..... I like coaches with all of these traits......I was just wondering....

Primarily because he has continued to kick our hog hinnies.  I don't appreciate that too awfully much.  But it does mean he is really good at what he does.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

Fire Numb Nutts!!!

Quote from: jvegashawg on April 28, 2006, 03:27:15 pm
SEC coaches salaries

In Millions
Phil Fulmer 2.05
Tubberville 2.0
Richt 1.8
Nutt  1.5
Miles 1.25
Spurrier 1.25
Orgeron 1.0
Shula  1.0
Croom  900,000

That membership at Augusta would go for more than a million a year on the open market.

I'm sure in the long run, Spurrier will be well worth it.

EastexHawg

April 28, 2006, 03:35:03 pm #39 Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 03:38:33 pm by EastexHawg
You want to know what a difference coaching could make at Arkansas?

Just look at Broyles.  He won more conference championships in his first eight years at Arkansas than the program had won in its entire history up to that point.  And...he won three of them in a row in his second, third, and fourth years on the hill.

His teams finished in the top ten six of his first eight years at Arkansas...and played in the equivalent of five BCS bowl games during that time.

I wonder if there were Arkansas fans in 1958 who were telling other fans, "Hiring a new coach isn't going to achieve anything.  Do you people really think we can win conference championships in this league regularly?  LOL.  We are what we are, and we're getting the best we can hope for.  Thinking a new coach could come in here and win conference and national championships is delusional."

Florida did not own a single SEC championship in its history until Spurrier came along.  I think a lot of people, especially younger fans, think the Gators have been a long-time national power, but the fact is they were never better than a mediocre SEC program before Spurrier came along.  His first Florida team would have won the SEC title if they had been eligible (yes...they were on probation...and you can see how long it set Spurrier and his program back...LOL), and he won six more SEC titles before he left...four of them in a row.

He took a Florida program that had been nothing more than a bridesmaid for generations...and went 34-2 over one four year stretch in the BIG, BAD, NOBODY CAN DOMINATE THIS CONFERENCE SEC.

BTW...he won the ACC title his last year at Duke.  They haven't won another championship since he left.

On top of all that, he came within a missed field goal against Georgia of winning the SEC East in his first year at South Carolina...

Spurrier and Nutt should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

jvegashawg

Quote from: Fire Numb Nutts!!! on April 28, 2006, 03:34:30 pm
Quote from: jvegashawg on April 28, 2006, 03:27:15 pm
SEC coaches salaries

In Millions
Phil Fulmer 2.05
Tubberville 2.0
Richt 1.8
Nutt  1.5
Miles 1.25
Spurrier 1.25
Orgeron 1.0
Shula  1.0
Croom  900,000

I'm sure in the long run, Spurrier will be well worth it.

undeniably

Dirk Piggler

April 28, 2006, 03:45:00 pm #41 Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 03:48:41 pm by No Name Yet, Stole Somebody Else's
Yes, every four and five star recruit would instantly put Arkansas in their top 5 if Spurrier were our coach. Then, Spurrier would actually get these recruits to visit the Hill and make them realize how amazing the atmosphere and facilities are in Fayetteville. Thus destroying the recruits preconceived notions that Fayetteville is a back water hick town. This is pretty much how Schnellingberger built the Miami program. All the major recruits wanted to have nothing to do with Miami, until Schellinberger made them come down and realize how great Miami was.

Burnt Orange Sucks

He probably could, but it would take several seasons for him to get the staff and the players.
South Carolina was a lot like Arkansas when Spurrier went there, they always finished around third or so in the West.
TEXAS....NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS IN 70?71?72?73?74?75?76?77?78?79?80?81?82?83?84?85?86?87?88?89?90?91?92?93?94?95?96?97?98?99?00?01?02?03?04?05......wait, YES   05'

djgaffer

Just curious, why do you believe that "if he could win at USC, he would win bigger here"??

I'm wondering what inherit advantages you think we have over South Carolina.

bythelake

Quote from: Feralhog on April 28, 2006, 07:55:48 am

Maybe, maybe not.  The original post suggests winning at Arkansas may be impossible.  I'm usually not this hard on posters, but if there was an award for stupid threads, this one would make the finals.

As the majority of the posters that responded, I also think that Spurrier could succeed at the UA.  That is my point.  

And by the way I support the current coaching staff, but I am still realistic.

RhodeHog

Do you think South Carolina will be good this year?  That should answer your question.

LRCentralTiger

Yes.  He is capable of winning anywhere he goes to play.  He does some amazing things.  He seems to be more at home and relaxed.  That could be a bad sign for everyone else when Steve is coaching football like he enjoys his golf.   :razorback:

Hawgin84

Spurrier could win in Jonesboro. Eventually big. Not taking anything away from Steve Roberts.

hoggin das

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 28, 2006, 07:44:32 am

Actually Spurrier isn't being payed that much at USC.  Infact I would be willing to bet HDN is being payed more.  Spurrier was offered a huge contract, but told then athletic director Mike Mcgee to use that money to help with USC's facilities and smaller sports.  Spurrier is well underpaid at USC and has donated thousands to the University since being here in Columbia. 

I think he took the job in part to spite the Gators after they didn't welcome him back with open arms.  Do you think they have started hating him yet?

Hawgin84

Quote from: hoggin das on April 28, 2006, 09:03:07 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on April 28, 2006, 07:44:32 am

I think he took the job in part to spite the Gators after they didn't welcome him back with open arms.  Do you think they have started hating him yet?

If not, they will.