Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Calipari Offered The NC State Job

Started by Hoggy Bear, April 09, 2006, 08:19:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggy Bear

http://www.wral.com/news/8579113/detail.html

Ya'' think Willie Kemp will ask for a release and we get a shot at him if Calipari leaves?  That is, if Ramar or Patrick Beverley both don't sign with us?

zwhogfan

Calipari has a pretty nice setup at Memphis. I imagine he can get them to up his base salary a good bit. I just don't see him leaving to coach the third best team in NC.

HogHeathen

good, get him as far away from Arkansas as possible!

Salvaboar Dali

There is no way he picks to leave memphis for podunk. He is a city boy and Memphis is really too country for his taste.

MBAHog

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on April 09, 2006, 08:46:28 pm
There is no way he picks to leave memphis for podunk. He is a city boy and Memphis is really too country for his taste.

Really?  you're calling Raleigh, NC podunk?

WilsonHog

We should take a lesson from NC State. Other than the David Thompson years and the Jim Valvano years, they haven't exactly been a basketball power. Yet when Herb Sendek took the Arizona State job the AD at NC State decided to go after John Calipari.  None of this "Hey, maybe we can get the coach from Creighton," or "Aw, THAT guy would never come to Raleigh. We'd better be more reasonable."

Nice job, NC State. You may not get Calipari, but at least you had the stones to go after him. 

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: MBAHog on April 09, 2006, 08:47:25 pm

Compared to Memphis...

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on April 09, 2006, 08:50:19 pm

Compared to Memphis...

you're joking right?  I live right in the middle of raleigh/durham/chapel hill and it's 10 times nicer out here than it's ever been in memphis in all my trips through it.  talk about a trashy place.  I wouldn't actually classify either of them as "podunk," but if I had to pick which one to live in it most definitely wouldn't be memphis
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on April 09, 2006, 09:02:29 pm

Compared to Memphis...

you're joking right?  I live right in the middle of raleigh/durham/chapel hill and it's 10 times nicer out here than it's ever been in memphis in all my trips through it.  talk about a trashy place.  I wouldn't actually classify either of them as "podunk," but if I had to pick which one to live in it most definitely wouldn't be memphis

I didn't say it wasn't nice, I said it was podunk meaning less populated and less to do.  He will be working at the "thing to do" in Raleigh.

big boes

Compared to Memphis...

memphis is a s---hole.  i'd rather die in raleigh than live in memphis. 

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: big boes on April 09, 2006, 09:37:22 pm

Compared to Memphis...

Personally, so would I. However, Calipari has access to the upper crust things that we lack. Memphis has more opportunity for someone of his means than Raleigh, IMO.

MBAHog

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on April 09, 2006, 09:38:57 pm

Compared to Memphis...

Personally, so would I. However, Calipari has access to the upper crust things that we lack. Memphis has more opportunity for someone of his means than Raleigh, IMO.

Just admit that you've never been to Raleigh.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: MBAHog on April 09, 2006, 09:55:35 pm

Compared to Memphis...

Just admit that you've never been to Raleigh.

Actually, I have. 2004 for a Job Interview with (gasp) NC State.

mtownhog

I live in Memphis and can assure you theres no way hes leaving for NC state

Hog in MO

Compared to Memphis...

Memphis has an upper crust?  As far as I'm concerened Memphis can keep whatever it has that we lack here in the Ozarks - most of it being crime, poverty and litter.  The only thing worth saving in that trash heap is BB King's and Interstate BBQ. 

thahawg

Dwight_K_Shrute

NCST AD to Satan:  Dear Satan,  As promised if you deliver your humble servant John Calipari to us as Head Coach, then you will have not only my soul but that of the entire NC State Athletic department.  Also let it be known that it was agreed that I would be able to take another job and stay one step ahead of the pestilence known as the NCAA once their investigation begins 5 years from now.  Thanks Satan for being such of fan of ACC basketball.  Who Knew.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

bigred7987

Willie Kemp is going to Memphis regardless of what he does....has to do with his mom and only that. 
Only reason he leaves is to get out of conf. usa but he seems to be doing okay with that...I would be surprised unless he just wants a change. 

CampuspostmanHOG

I heard that if America were to get an enema, it would be in Memphis.

Patch

There is more to do in Memphis than Raleigh. However, if you eliminate the things that will get you shot, there's more to do in Raleigh than Memphis. Raleigh is a class town. Memphis is ...well not. I've lived in Memphis, and close enough to Raleigh to know that Memphis is crap compared to Raleigh.

Dwight_K_Shrute

To me it really comes down to two things.  1.  Barbeque and 2.  Gentlemen's Clubs  everything else is on the periphery.  So I know what Memphis has to offer in both areas but I know nothing about the BBQ or the Gentlemen's clubs in Raleigh.  Anyone with knowledge of both please compare and contrast.  Thank you.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 09, 2006, 10:45:14 pm
To me it really comes down to two things.  1.  Barbeque and 2.  Gentlemen's Clubs  everything else is on the periphery.  So I know what Memphis has to offer in both areas but I know nothing about the BBQ or the Gentlemen's clubs in Raleigh.  Anyone with knowledge of both please compare and contrast.  Thank you.

BBQ is good, if you like vinegar based sauce. Didn't paruse the strip clubs in Raleigh.

PigDaddyKane

Quote from: Patch on April 09, 2006, 10:38:12 pm
There is more to do in Memphis than Raleigh. However, if you eliminate the things that will get you shot, there's more to do in Raleigh than Memphis. Raleigh is a class town. Memphis is ...well not. I've lived in Memphis, and close enough to Raleigh to know that Memphis is crap compared to Raleigh.

+1.  That was funny.
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

ejay286

Well Memphis has some very nice suburban areas such as Cordova, My sister lives there and the only time we ever go into memphis is if we want some good BBQ or soul food.  Other than that we keep out butts in Cordova where its safe, I don't know where Calipari lives but i would imagine its out towards that way.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogfan064

That hopefully will help us.  Maybe we can get the Memphis area back.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 10, 2006, 10:10:19 am
That hopefully will help us.  Maybe we can get the Memphis area back.

Wonder what Willie Kemp will do if he bolts ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HogBaptist

HairyHog

The_Bionic_Pig

The North Carolina State athletic director was a former asst. @ Memphis.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

SuperHog

Where is the outrage over the lack of an investigation by the UA into harassment of a student-athlete by a booster with EXTREMELY close personal ties to the head coach and his brother?  Instead we pay the brother $175K to act like a coach, be closely involved with the team, and occupy the same office even though he RESIGNED for "health" reasons.

The_Bionic_Pig

You should here the Memphis guys on Sports 56 saying how stupid he would be to leave the great Conference USA for the ACC when Memphis is well known as a National power...LMAO!!!  sounds like he is having a asthma attack.... Click Me to listen live.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Theolesnort

Calipari is a big fish in a small pond at present. With his pursuit of publicity the allure of the ACC may be to much for him to resist. The safe thing is for him is to stay at Memphis.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 10, 2006, 12:29:43 pm
Calipari is a big fish in a small pond at present. With his pursuit of publicity the allure of the ACC may be to much for him to resist. The safe thing is for him is to stay at Memphis.

NC State is akin to Tennessee in the SEC. Unless you are stuck at a mid-major, you do not want to leave a good job (like Memphis) for a mid-level school in a stron conf. AT Memphis he can recruit AGainst Cincy and teams like UAB. AT NC State, he has to beat NC and Duke. He'll wait until a good Big East team opens.

mbgrulz

UNC & Duke challenge the whole nation for recruiting. they are not a regional team. kids want to come their from all over the nation. calipari has connections all over the country and kids know his face. if he comes calling, he can land some big guys. i think the kicker will be wether or not he will want to compete with 2 of the best coaches in the nation. as it is right now, i dont see memphis having any trouble in the conf. usa for a long time. i say calapari gets out of the small pond. and for the record, when did memphis become a good job? last i checked calapari made it into a good job, and it will go south the moment he leaves.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 10, 2006, 01:45:56 pm
UNC & Duke challenge the whole nation for recruiting. they are not a regional team. kids want to come their from all over the nation. calipari has connections all over the country and kids know his face. if he comes calling, he can land some big guys. i think the kicker will be wether or not he will want to compete with 2 of the best coaches in the nation. as it is right now, i dont see memphis having any trouble in the conf. usa for a long time. i say calapari gets out of the small pond. and for the record, when did memphis become a good job? last i checked calapari made it into a good job, and it will go south the moment he leaves.

But would he go to a conference where he would always be third fiddle? I do not think so.

mbgrulz

with an ego like his, he doesnt believe he'll be 3rd fiddle. he thinks he can elevate past duke and UNC.

Theolesnort

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on April 10, 2006, 01:26:17 pm
Quote from: Theolesnort on April 10, 2006, 12:29:43 pm

NC State is akin to Tennessee in the SEC. Unless you are stuck at a mid-major, you do not want to leave a good job (like Memphis) for a mid-level school in a stron conf. AT Memphis he can recruit AGainst Cincy and teams like UAB. AT NC State, he has to beat NC and Duke. He'll wait until a good Big East team opens.
Yes but with his ego, if he could  succeed at NC State (he thinks) he would be back in the national spotlight again. The guy is a pub hound. Will he be smart or will his ego get the best of him? Stay tuned.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Kevin

jason williams once told me that he did not leave his house while playing for the grizzlies. a night life guy like him and he hated memphis. 

ego like those guys have he wants the challenge and exposure the acc gives. the tv contract with espn sures beat conference usa with fox college sports. 

recruiting the top 25 players year in year out.  i wonder what the counter offer will be.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Tusks

There's really no comparison between the two....he'll go if he gets the deal he wants.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

mtownhog

It wouldn't make sense for Calipari to turn down the Indiana head coaching position and then take a job at NC state.

The_Bionic_Pig

Just heard it mentioned on the radio air waves!!! and according to ESPN.com Article
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

idochog

I think Calipari will milk this for a nice big raise at Memphis.
I love Jesus!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: idochog on April 10, 2006, 05:05:22 pm

If he does that means Memphis will be paying him   :o 2,000,000 per to keep him around.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

idochog

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on April 10, 2006, 05:09:36 pm
Quote from: idochog on April 10, 2006, 05:05:22 pm

If he does that means Memphis will be paying him   :o 2,000,000 per to keep him around.

Well there is some significant donors to the Memphis program: Fedex, Autozone to name a few.
I love Jesus!

The_Bionic_Pig

idohog the commercial appeal now saying the ESPN is wrong and that Calipari is not in North Carolina.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Dirk Piggler

April 10, 2006, 05:20:42 pm #48 Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 05:22:25 pm by No Name Yet, Stole Somebody Else's
Stewie, could Calipari not make room for Kemp at NC State? Sorry, I dont know the finites of NCAA rules and regulations on recruiting.

The_Bionic_Pig

FoxSports.com Click Me just reported that he may visit Tonight or Tuesday and if everything goes well he except a lucrative offer and will be announced as their NEW HEAD COACH.   -  merry go round and round huh ... 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*