Loisville is getting killed but would you trade Heath for Pitino at the end of

Started by Topcat, March 08, 2006, 09:48:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan13

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

taintlint

taintlint

I'll take Pitino yesterday, today, and tomorrow. I do not care how much Heath has come around. Pitino is a proven winner who would soar in the hills of Fayetteville.

Queen-Tusk

I'm sorry, but Pitino...NO Way!!!  I respect him, but Louisville can keep him!

Tater Salad

hoginator

Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

taintlint

Quote from: Tater Salad on March 08, 2006, 10:11:36 pm
I would trade my left nut for Pitino to coach at Arkansas

I'll give my right if anyone with the authority to make it happens needs a set of balls......wait.....Frank.......I think we just solved your problem!

taintlint

taintlint

This is why we need another Hall of Fame bound coach.......

For one, his website is not cluttered with stats boasting of what the program was like BEFORE he got there......

http://www.rickpitino.com/rpitino/main.aspx

"Pitino has a 449-159 collegiate coaching record in 19 seasons, the ninth best winning percentage among active coaches.

Pitino's up-tempo style, pressure defense, strong work ethic and family atmosphere have quickly returned the Cardinals to national prominence, with top 25 rankings over the last three years and a visit to the Final Four for the first time in 19 years as evidence.

The Cardinals were No. 3 in the nation in the final 2004-05 ESPN/USA Today poll while posting a stellar 33-5 record, matching the most victories in U of L history. U of L won its first-ever Conference USA regular season title and also claimed the league tournament championship. Louisville reached its first NCAA Sweet 16 since 1997 as the No. 4 seed in the Albuquerque Regional before advancing to its first NCAA Final Four since 1986. Pitino, who made his fifth Final Four appearance, became the first coach ever to guide teams from three different schools to the Final Four.

Pitino's .756 winning percentage in NCAA Tournament games (31-10) is third best among active coaches.

Last season's successes were built upon the efforts of his early teams at U of L. Two years ago, the Cardinals won 16 straight during one stretch and rose to as high as fourth in the national polls before a trio of key injuries disrupted the Cardinals' flight. U of L won 20 games in back-to-back seasons for the first time in six years while facing one of the nation's toughest schedules. Pitino gained his 400th career coaching victory with a 73-65 victory over then top-ranked Florida on Dec. 13, 2003, the first of two wins that season U of L achieved over No. 1 ranked foes.

In his second year at U of L in 2002-03, the Cardinals reached the No. 2 position in the Associated Press poll and spent time as the nation's top team in the Ratings Percentage Index and Sagarin Ratings. After a 1-1 start, the Cardinals reeled off an incredible 17 straight victories, one short of the school record and the second-highest ever in Conference USA history. U of L won its first-ever Conference USA Tournament title.

Pitino did not wait for the Cardinals to make an upward move. In his first year at Louisville in 2001-02, he guided an undersized, often outmanned squad to a 19-13 record, upsetting the nation's fourth-ranked team along the way to earning a post-season tournament appearance in the NIT, nearly reversing the Cardinals fortunes the season prior to his arrival (12-19 in 2000-01).

20 former Pitino assistant coaches or players have become collegiate head coaches.

Pitino has embraced the storied tradition of Louisville Basketball and made a commitment to producing a vibrant program that will soon challenge for a national title.

In 18 seasons as a collegiate head coach at four different schools, Pitino has compiled a 449-159 record, a .738 winning percentage that ranked him eighth among active coaches and 27th all-time entering the 2005-06 season. His current contract ties him with U of L through the 2009-2010 season."

Tater Salad

SAUhogfan

I really don't want him.  No sarcasm needed, my friend.  He respects Nolan too much, is that good enough reason?

Tater Salad

Quote from: SAUhogfan on March 08, 2006, 10:22:58 pm
I really don't want him.  No sarcasm needed, my friend.  He respects Nolan too much, is that good enough reason?

He's a proven winner. That's a good enough reason for me.

taintlint

Quote from: SAUhogfan on March 08, 2006, 10:22:58 pm

No. Not unless you have white sheets on a clothes hanger in your closet. Get over the Nolan thing. Pitino is a damn good coach. Scroll up and read if you need proof.

SAUhogfan

I'm not going to argue over something that has little to no chance of happening anyway.  And being openly fickle, I may change my mind if they come back on Pitt.

SAUhogfan

Oh, and taintlit, do white sheets folded up in my dresser drawer count?  I have some nice ones from the Martha Stewart collection.

taintlint

Quote from: SAUhogfan on March 08, 2006, 10:27:41 pm
Oh, and taintlit, do white sheets folded up in my dresser drawer count?  I have some nice ones from the Martha Stewart collection.

I didn't know that Martha sold sheets with eye holes.

ENHOG

It's all about the now in today's society!!!  And right now I would have to pass.  2 months ago would have been a totally different story.
\\\"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.\\\"

taintlint

Quote from: ENHOG on March 08, 2006, 10:37:59 pm
It's all about the now in today's society!!!  And right now I would have to pass.  2 months ago would have been a totally different story.

Two months ago!?!? Did you read Pitino's stats at Louisville? My God, he is incredible. You can give Heath 4 years with nothing but whatever he brings in this tournament and Pitino with his Top 25's and Final 4's and etc.... AT LOUISVILLE is not worth extending him slack for one year due to him having less than the best talent? He would be the best hire the bball program has ever made. Period.

ctthras

I don't know....it is just hard to talk about this when it is necessary for all of us to back the team and the coach 100%

bigt54

Proven winner, good recruiter, up tempo style of play, Possible mafia ties, sign him up. 
"I was not the best cause I killed quickly, I was the best because the crowd loved me."

taintlint

Quote from: opineonswine on March 08, 2006, 11:05:22 pm
He was once my favorite coach.  I'm thinking he may have seen his best days.  SHOCKED Louisville has done so poorly under his watch ...at least the last 2 years.

They went deep in the tourny last year and had an incredible season if I'm not mistaking. He has one less than stellar year and you are watching it.

bigt54

"I was not the best cause I killed quickly, I was the best because the crowd loved me."

taintlint

thehill1414

Quote from: SAUhogfan on March 08, 2006, 10:14:13 pm
What has Pitino done lately?  I'll pass.

Well he went to the final four LAST YEAR!! He had 7 new guys on his team this year playing in the toughest conference in the nation...Id take him in a second!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Loisville? 

Is that like the sister message board of Hogville, dedicated to Lois Lane fans?
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

CiriusPorker

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on March 09, 2006, 12:04:48 am
Loisville? 

no, Loisville is actually the sister city of Clarksville (my city)..go figure..i thought they were dating..

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: CiriusPorker on March 09, 2006, 12:08:25 am
Loisville? 

no, Loisville is actually the sister city of Clarksville (my city)..go figure..i thought they were dating..
Don't quit your day job.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Tater Salad

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on March 09, 2006, 12:12:45 am
Quote from: CiriusPorker on March 09, 2006, 12:08:25 am
Loisville? 

Don't quit your day job.

that goes for the both of you...;D

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: SAUhogfan on March 08, 2006, 10:14:13 pm
What has Pitino done lately?

He took a team to the Final Four last season.

Not that something like that is important or anything.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

lunchbox72703

call me foolish, but i have a gut feeling over stan that we might have a dang good coach in the making!  I, for one, say lets ride this out and see....afterall, this could be the next coach K or the next coach "failure".  I, right now, say let's give heath a chance.

LA HAWG

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on March 09, 2006, 03:57:24 am
call me foolish, but i have a gut feeling over stan that we might have a dang good coach in the making!  I, for one, say lets ride this out and see....afterall, this could be the next coach K or the next coach "failure".  I, right now, say let's give heath a chance.

I'll take a "proven winner" over anyone's gut feeling any day. 

Many may think that Pitino's best days are behind him (IMO that's ridiculous) or that he wouldn't be here very long, but if Stan Heath is truly successful here in the near future like we all hope (and some of you truly believe) then he will also be gone when the first good opportunity arises.  IMO, we're almost in a no win situation with SH as far as the long term goes.  If he really turns things around and develops into a great coach, he will moving back up to the midwest.  If he doesn't, then we are stuck with him because he is a good enough coach to get by by treading water. 

Jim Harris

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on March 09, 2006, 07:49:22 am
Quote from: lunchbox72703 on March 09, 2006, 03:57:24 am

I'll take a "proven winner" over anyone's gut feeling any day. 

Many may think that Pitino's best days are behind him (IMO that's ridiculous) or that he wouldn't be here very long, but if Stan Heath is truly successful here in the near future like we all hope (and some of you truly believe) then he will also be gone when the first good opportunity arises.  IMO, we're almost in a no win situation with SH as far as the long term goes.  If he really turns things around and develops into a great coach, he will moving back up to the midwest.  If he doesn't, then we are stuck with him because he is a good enough coach to get by by treading water. 

Is Pitino even up for recruiting his ass off anymore? Anybody who thinks he's going to assemble the kind of NBA team he had at Kentucky in 1996 is crazy.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: opineonswine on March 08, 2006, 11:05:22 pm
He was once my favorite coach.  I'm thinking he may have seen his best days.  SHOCKED Louisville has done so poorly under his watch ...at least the last 2 years.

yeah, that was a terrible season they had last year. I can't believe he could let them lose five games.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

TuckFexas

Some of you guys are amazing. We're finally getting a little bit of respect after what our program has been through ,we're going to the dance, and people are wanting Pitino? Why don't we wait and see what happens?
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

LA HAWG

I do not want Pitino.  Heath has earned his opportunity to stay and build.

arkbadger

My dad always said, "never trust a man with slicked back hair."  But Pitino is a damn good coach, so I would probably have to take him.  I just wouldn't buy a used car from him.
You can keep that skoal baby.

hogsNbeer

Well, I dont' know if you watched the game last night.... Pitino showed why he is top 10 in coaching right now......   He kept coaching, and coaching, and teaching those kids to not give up and damn near won the game after being down by 28 at one time...... He holds the record for the greatest comeback on the road ..... In '94 at LSU, he coached Kentucky of course.......   Kentucky was down 31 points at LSU and came back and won the game.......     He's a proven winner....    PITINO can flat out COACH.... :razorback: