Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 23, 2024, 12:27:17 pm

UAB

Started by razorbackfan4life, March 02, 2006, 08:51:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Mukubu had 12 points and 6 rebounds in 20 minutes of play for UAB against Memphis.  Guess he was not motivated while at U of A playing for Noland.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HighOnHogs

Great job MikeA!  You are keeping "40 minutes of hell" alive!  Ashame Nolan couldn't do it.

ChrisD

I do miss the electricity in the arena of the 40 minutes of hell style. Mike has done a great job at UAB congrats to him.

I moved to NWA the summer after Nolan's second year and got season tickets that fall because many fans failed to re-new season tickets. I sat (stood actually)beside the band and above the students and the Barn was absolutely electric for every game. You could just feel the program getting better each game and year. The last few weeks I have started feeling some of the same excitement as those years albeit at a different pace. I think Stan is turning the corner and we need to support him.

Keep your tickets I think we are about to make another run.

HogCards88

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 03, 2006, 06:46:07 am
Mukubu had 12 points and 6 rebounds in 20 minutes of play for UAB against Memphis.  Guess he was not motivated while at U of A playing for Noland.
He wasn't an SEC player. Proof of Nolan's sub-par recruiting. Period.

toshortrock

their overrated,i live over here,they suck
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

HighOnHogs

Quote from: ChrisD on March 03, 2006, 07:00:56 amI think Stan is turning the corner and we need to support him.

It is starting to look that way.  Finally!

ChrisD

It took two years longer than Nolan but its coming around. WPS!

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: razorbackfan4life on March 02, 2006, 08:51:45 pm
Just threw it down against Memphis.

man, mukubu's punch was sweeeeet.  I couldn't be happier for UAB to get that win... but also equally happy that memphis lost ;D
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

hogfan064

Quote from: ajs15razorman on March 03, 2006, 06:37:25 am
You also have to remember they are in the C-USA, so 20 wins should come fairly easy, nonetheless it was a great win and will help our recruiting.  Mike Anderson is doing a great job at a small name school.  Wasn't Nolan an assistant coach there for a while after he left Arkansas?  I remember seeing him on the bench once.

Yes, but while being in C-USA Anderson doesn't get the talent he would at Arkansas.  Also remember that CUSA was a very strong midmajor conference until all the good teams left for the Big East. 

Tylerhog

He's playing with some of the same talent that his boss brought here!

I'm glad for mike and hope he does well. I watched that game with about as much enthusiasm as watching the hogs, I just had to put a hundred on the moneyline for UAB, but it worked and payed off.

TorsinAHog

Great to see Mike having continued success at UAB of all places! Just think of all the times he wasnt able to get jobs (tulsa) while he was an assistant at UA.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

othermac

he's messing up cal's new contract vision, i heard him bragging the other day about being the only d1 team undefeated on the road, i know he wanted that statement for the negotiation table.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

pokeydaman

yeah that was a heck of a game..go UAB!!! I noticed TJ Cleveland on Mike Andersens coaching staff.  I forgot he was a relative of Mikes.  glad to see former Razorbacks in the coaching world.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: PiggoBitttys on March 03, 2006, 02:03:21 am
BUT, guys like Mukubu, Tobias, Berry Jordan, even Sullivan, just are not SEC quality. There were still going to be some good players with Nolan, but way too many with not near enough talent.

That's exactly what people said about Scotty Thurman, his only other scholarship from a major D-1 school was Louisana Tech, and Dwight Stewart, and Corey Beck were not highly sought after recruits out of high school or jr. College.  I think Nolan did alright with what he had.  OH, and find me one other school willing to give Al Dillard a scholarship out of Jr. College?
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Hogs4Ever

Congrats to Mike Anderson!  Always like to see Memphis take a whipping.   8)

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: HogCards88 on March 03, 2006, 07:01:30 am
Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 03, 2006, 06:46:07 am
He wasn't an SEC player. Proof of Nolan's sub-par recruiting. Period.

People said the same thing about Nolan's recruits all the time..Scotty Thurman, Corey beck, Dwight Stewart, Al Dillard.  All these guys were not recruited highly out of high school, or Jr. college for the last 3.  Hell, Scotty Thurman's only other major offer was from Louisana Tech. 

Illinihog

Why is there a need for Two Threads about the same topic?

HogHeathen

Great win for Mike Anderson and the "40 minutes if hell"!  Good for him!!

HogHeathen

Quote from: 1836hog on March 02, 2006, 10:56:14 pm
Just saw where coach Anderson has 20+ wins now for the 4th straight year.   Wouldn't that be nice.  And no, I'm not bashing Stan just saying it would be nice.

Not bashing Mike either, but he is coaching in an inferior league...

tulsahog36

That was  disapointing.   It bothered me to see UAB beat Memphis.  It is kind of like Rooting for Nolan, and I cant do that.   I dont dislike Mike Anderson, but I cant root for him.   He will forever be linked to Nolan in my mind.

Lokirain

Great job Coach Anderson, can't wait to see Squeaky in the NCAA Tournament, you better hope you don't face the red hot Hogs though.

ThunderHog

Quote from: HogHeathen on March 03, 2006, 08:40:12 am
Just saw where coach Anderson has 20+ wins now for the 4th straight year.   Wouldn't that be nice.  And no, I'm not bashing Stan just saying it would be nice.

In three years, he has been to 2 NCAA second round games, one sweet 16 and a NIT quarter final....at FREAKIN' UAB.

Lokirain

Whatta great game, I too like to see 40 minutes of hell. And UAB is such a small club, their effort on the court is outstanding. It would be cool to face UAB in the Tournament. Good job Coach Anderson.

SigPig

Mike Anderson didn't make those comments that eventually led to getting fired-Nolan did.  I am not taking up for Nolan- don't misunderstand. What Nolan did, the comments he made, the trial, etc. are inexcusable IMO- It also affected some members of my family personally which I won't get into- BUT- Mike Anderson didn't have anything to do with that. I have no problem rooting for Mike and UAB. He and his team reminds me of the style of play that won my team the National Title in 94

freedomcounty

Mike Anderson is infinitely more of a class act than Nolan. He took over a tough situation at the UA when Nolan, his father figure almost, was canned. Then he wasn't hired on, and even then he didn't make comments anything like Nolan did.

Anderson=Class act and good coach.

Ish O

Coach A is a stud. You could tell that he and Callipari don't like each other. It has to go back to the Nolan and UMass days. Very sweet win.

HogsRule

We do NOT want to face this team in the NCAA tourney. We still have point guard issues. Our team is the kind of team that Nolan's use to lick his chops at. guards who can't handle the ball that well (Dontell) and guards who try to dribble through the press and get too sped up (Ferguson). They are extremely dangerous to us. Of course we would DOMINATE them on the boards.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

Corkscrew Johnson

Good lord I wouldn't want to face UAB in the tourney.  Look at what they've done the last 2 years in the NCAAs.  That style of play combined with the stress and anxiety of the tournament equals disaster.  Our players would need to wear diapers for that game.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ThunderHog on March 03, 2006, 08:53:34 am

In three years, he has been to 2 NCAA second round games, one sweet 16 and a NIT quarter final....at FREAKIN' UAB.

How'd he do 4 tourneys in 3 years?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

SigPig

Yeah and I would have to believe that UAB might be a little more motivated to get a win against us than we would against them- I seem to think that Mikes players want to win for him a little more than ours do for stan. I think mike learned how to earn his players respect pretty well from nolan. Stan may need a lesson on that subject

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 03, 2006, 09:20:04 am

I'm just spitballin here, but my guess is that one of the second round games AND the sweet 16 appearance occurred in the same tourney.

ThunderHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 03, 2006, 09:20:04 am

Sweet 16 year included in the second round stat.  Kinda like Nolan being given credit for 3 final fours, one national runner-up and one national championship, elite 8's, sweet 16's , etc.

Dillon23

While CUSA is definately not the SEC, they do have several teams that could compete in the SEC.  Here are a few scores from CUSA this season.

Memphis: 
L     Duke  -3
W @ Alabama  +9
W @ Ole Miss  +23
W    Gonzaga  +11
W    Tenn.      +9

Cent. Florida:
L  @ Kentucky -2
L  @ Florida    -33

E. Carolina
L  @ Wake  -4

Houston
W  @ LSU +1
W  Arizona  +4

Marshall
W  @ W.Virginia  +6

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Dillon23 on March 03, 2006, 09:35:53 am
While CUSA is definately not the SEC, they do have several teams that could compete in the SEC.  Here are a few scores from CUSA this season.

Memphis: 
L     Duke  -3
W @ Alabama  +9
W @ Ole Miss  +23
W    Gonzaga  +11
W    Tenn.      +9

Didn't John Calipari say he wanted to play National Powers in Bball?  Then he goes and plays Ole Miss and Tennessee? (this year tenn looks like a nat'l power, but in years past, not even close)  I was so happy that Mike A beat Memphis.  For some reason, I hate Memphis in bball.  Don't know why, just do. 

nwarazfan

Quote from: dubyacee on March 03, 2006, 09:40:32 am
Quote from: Dillon23 on March 03, 2006, 09:35:53 am

Memphis: 
L     Duke  -3
W @ Alabama  +9
W @ Ole Miss  +23
W    Gonzaga  +11
W    Tenn.      +9

Didn't John Calipari say he wanted to play National Powers in Bball?  Then he goes and plays Ole Miss and Tennessee? (this year tenn looks like a nat'l power, but in years past, not even close)  I was so happy that Mike A beat Memphis.  For some reason, I hate Memphis in bball.  Don't know why, just do. 

He called our program 'regional' and said he wanted his program to be national. 

WILL CLINTON

Still, he goes and plays Ole Miss and Tennessee?  Aren't they pretty regional in regards to location as Arkansas?  John Calipari is a tool.  I haven't liked him ever since UMass beat Arkansas in the first game of the 1995 season. 

Tylerhog

They said Arkansas more than they said Memphis in that game.

BossHog13

Quote from: tulsahog36 on March 03, 2006, 08:42:03 am
That was  disapointing.   It bothered me to see UAB beat Memphis.  It is kind of like Rooting for Nolan, and I cant do that.   I dont dislike Mike Anderson, but I cant root for him.   He will forever be linked to Nolan in my mind.

I feel the same way about Stan Heath! I would like to root for Stan and I don't dislike him, but I just can't fully! It's like rooting for Frank! He will always be linked to the huge mess of Frank Broyles! Go Mike Anderson and 40 Minutes of Hell!!!

yraciv

give me a break guys it wasn't on the first page the time I posted, and I only watched the last 2 minutes.  I saw the highlight and thought I should mention it.

Factual Fiction

Quote from: yraciv on March 03, 2006, 09:54:07 am
give me a break guys it wasn't on the first page the time I posted, and I only watched the last 2 minutes.  I saw the highlight and thought I should mention it.
Don't worry about it yraciv. Some people have to beat others down to feel good about themselves.
Have we forgotten the words of the great peacemaker Rodney King? "Can't we all just get along? Now excuse me while I go pick up a transvestite and some blow!"

ReturnToDynasty?

This is a very likely first round opponent.  What an unbelieveable matchup, for many reasons.  The media will have a field day with this.  You know that Nolan will be there watching and supporting Mike Anderson.  Of course I think we have a better team, but UAB will be fired up. 

I'm nervous just thinking about this potential game.

Mr A Ziffell

Quote from: yraciv on March 03, 2006, 09:54:07 am
give me a break guys it wasn't on the first page the time I posted, and I only watched the last 2 minutes.  

I saw it....not beating you up...but it was there...

ThunderHog

Quote from: BossHog13 on March 03, 2006, 09:52:04 am
Quote from: tulsahog36 on March 03, 2006, 08:42:03 am
That was  disapointing.   It bothered me to see UAB beat Memphis.  It is kind of like Rooting for Nolan, and I cant do that.   I dont dislike Mike Anderson, but I cant root for him.   He will forever be linked to Nolan in my mind.
[/quot

I feel the same way about Stan Heath! I would like to root for Stan and I don't dislike him, but I just can't fully! It's like rooting for Frank! He will always be linked to the huge mess of Frank Broyles! Go Mike Anderson and 40 Minutes of Hell!!!
I kinda feel the same way about Stan.  I think he is a nice enough guy, but he strikes me as yes man to the boss man.  I think players pick up on that stuff.  Mike's guys looks like they would invade Baghdad if he told them to.

hogblade

March 03, 2006, 10:11:33 am #94 Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 10:14:43 am by hogblade
Geez, How could you root against Mike Anderson. He did nothing but give his soul to Arkansas, and then was rejected by Arkansas, so he went and found another job and took Razorback castoffs- Tobias, Mukubu and DeMario Eddins. He has won 4 straight years at UAB with a very similar style of play that made Arkansas so great in the 80's and 90's. TJ Cleveland is also on the UAB staff. Why hate UAB. UAB is my second favorite college team. I'm rooting for them to beat everyone but Arkansas. I agree that Mike motivates his players better than Stan. The one thing I've always thought about Stan is that he cannot for some reason motivate the team.  Hating Mike Anderson, because he is a direct link to Nolan is like hating Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, Corliss Williamson, Scotty Thurman, Pat Bradley, etc.. because they are all direct links to Nolan.

BossHog13

It wouldn't make me nervous one bit! I would love to see it! I would definitely be rooting for Mike Anderson who in my opinion is the Razorbacks true coach! He was just up against Old Ego driven Crypt Keeper Frank Broyles! Go Mike!!!

ctthras

Quote from: BossHog13 on March 03, 2006, 10:15:34 am
It wouldn't make me nervous one bit! I would love to see it! I would definitely be rooting for Mike Anderson who in my opinion is the Razorbacks true coach! He was just up against Old Ego driven Crypt Keeper Frank Broyles! Go Mike!!!
Never call yourself a hog fan again

Hums

I think it may be ugly for us. Not sure we would be able to stand up to their pressure for 40 minutes.

Juiced

Maybe it will show the boosters we need new management, not just a new coach.

nwarazfan

Quote from: hogblade on March 03, 2006, 10:11:33 am
Geez, How could you root against Mike Anderson. He did nothing but give his soul to Arkansas, and then was rejected by Arkansas, so he went and found another job and took Razorback castoffs- Tobias, Mukubu and DeMario Eddins. He has won 4 straight years at UAB with a very similar style of play that made Arkansas so great in the 80's and 90's. TJ Cleveland is also on the UAB staff. Why hate UAB. UAB is my second favorite college team. I'm rooting for them to beat everyone but Arkansas. I agree that Mike motivates his players better than Stan. The one thing I've always thought about Stan is that he cannot for some reason motivate the team.  Hating Mike Anderson, because he is a direct link to Nolan is like hating Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, Corliss Williamson, Scotty Thurman, Pat Bradley, etc.. because they are all direct links to Nolan.

I won't root against Coach A...unless he is playing Arkansas(I could even pull for him against Duke-maybe).  That takes precedence over everything.  He was a class guy while here and I'm sure is still that way.  Hope he and TJ continue to find success. But wasn't Coach A also the top asst when the program started coming down? Didn't he recruit right there with Nolan those last few years?  Again, Iggy's 9.6 ppg college avg wasn't getting us anywhere playing alongside the stiffs left.