Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tennessee players coming in through the fans...should we?

Started by whatsshakinbacon, February 26, 2006, 08:28:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whatsshakinbacon

February 26, 2006, 08:28:29 pm Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 08:33:16 pm by whatsshakinbacon
I loved Bruce Pearl's return to tradition for Tennessee.  The team walked into the arena through the fans.  Should we do such?

What about other renewed traditions?

Bacon out...

1836hog

I'd like to see the Hog come down from the rafters like he used to do a few years ago.  Also, speaking of the mascot, I would like to see us get rid of the hog "family".  Counting that big blow-up thing we have out there we've got 5-6 mascots at each game.  What do you think people across the country think when they see us on national TV with some female piglit with bows in her hair running around the floor during timeouts.  For all they know that's our only mascot.  You've people people in Michigan wondering why the hell the Razorbacks have a pre-teen female for their mascot.  Must look real tough.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: 1836hog on February 26, 2006, 09:01:02 pm
I'd like to see the Hog come down from the rafters like he used to do a few years ago.  Also, speaking of the mascot, I would like to see us get rid of the hog "family".  Counting that big blow-up thing we have out there we've got 5-6 mascots at each game.  What do you think people across the country think when they see us on national TV with some female piglit with bows in her hair running around the floor during timeouts.  For all they know that's our only mascot.  You've people people in Michigan wondering why the hell the Razorbacks have a pre-teen female for their mascot.  Must look real tough.

Should we save the gal for the ladybacks....  As for the blowup hog.  I'd like to start a movement to blow that thing up.  Or maybe I'm thinking a helium fill might send him off into the sunset...forever.

Bacon out...

pigsooie

QuoteCounting that big blow-up thing we have out there we've got 5-6 mascots at each game.

There is a total of four mascots at men's games.  Personnally, I'd like to see the pregame show with the band running down from the concourse and making the tunnel on the floor, playing the alma mater, etc.

heathshogs

Big Red dropping from the rafters would be awesome, but I wouldn't be expecting it any time soon. We have 4 mascots at the gmaes Big Red, Sue E, Pork Chop, and Boss Hopg (a 5th when Yusk is present for football). While it may seem redundant to most, I think it actually does matter with youngsters. First, of course more mascots means they can spread out and offer the chance for more interaction. Secondly, I've seen several children that are afraid of Big Red but will interact with the less intimidating ones. As for people around the country they probably don't think much about it because several schools have adopted teh philosophy of multiple mascots.
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

stronguard

The tradition that I miss and would love to see is when the old band leader (brain fart, I can't remember his name) used to run up and down stair stirring up the crowd.  Come to think of it most of the crowd which was getting stirred is the same crowd that is there now, only 25 years older.  Hard to get up after that 3rd hip replacement.  But we should do it anyway.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: stronguard on February 26, 2006, 10:11:52 pm
The tradition that I miss and would love to see is when the old band leader (brain fart, I can't remember his name) used to run up and down stair stirring up the crowd.  Come to think of it most of the crowd which was getting stirred is the same crowd that is there now, only 25 years older.  Hard to get up after that 3rd hip replacement.  But we should do it anyway.

Robken ruled....

Bacon out...

1836hog

Quote from: heathshogs on February 26, 2006, 10:08:41 pm
Secondly, I've seen several children that are afraid of Big Red but will interact with the less intimidating ones. As for people around the country they probably don't think much about it because several schools have adopted teh philosophy of multiple mascots.

First, most ridiculous statement I've ever heard.  Less intimidating...kiddin me?.  Secondly, name one school that went from one mascot, used for several decades, to 5 mascots over night.

HeadOverHill

Quote from: usarmyhogfan on February 26, 2006, 10:07:32 pm
Id like to start a tradition(Starting with yesterday's win)of being able to WIN ON THE ROAD!

Amen to that!

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on February 26, 2006, 08:28:29 pm

Bacon out...

I like that tradition we had called "winning" every game.  ;) 8)

heathshogs

February 26, 2006, 11:26:59 pm #10 Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 11:29:12 pm by heathshogs
Quote from: 1836hog on February 26, 2006, 10:38:12 pm
Secondly, I've seen several children that are afraid of Big Red but will interact with the less intimidating ones. As for people around the country they probably don't think much about it because several schools have adopted teh philosophy of multiple mascots.

First, most ridiculous statement I've ever heard.  Less intimidating...kiddin me?.  Secondly, name one school that went from one mascot, used for several decades, to 5 mascots over night.

1.No I'm not kidding. I've seen several kids under the age of 2 that will shy away from big red but will pet for a lack of better term Pork Chop of Sue E. 

2.Florida
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

Razor6

Vols coming down the bleachers is a tradition that Tenn did many years ago... If we did it, it wouldn't be our tradition, but mimicking (as you and Conway have touched upon).

Houston and Stan both have gotten our student section and athletes to rally together during wins.  I like that type of celebration!

In terms of bringing back old UA traditions such as the mascot dropping, etc... I am not sure what all traditions UA has done with the athletes pregame or postgame.

-R6
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

hogfan33

I think we should sing the Alma mater before the game again, I like the tradition and not enough people know the song.

silvertip

Jim Robken, the Hawg Wild band & the William Tell Overture!!

But I doubt we'll ever see another Robken.

LA HAWG

How bout that tradition of going to the NCAA tourney every year.  I kinda liked that one.  I think we should bring that one back.

jap66

Quote from: silvertip on February 27, 2006, 06:37:31 am
Jim Robken, the Hawg Wild band & the William Tell Overture!!

But I doubt we'll ever see another Robken.

There is no doubt in my mind Robken played a large part when he was here.

However there are some things that people fail to explain when the give him all the credit.
1. What has he done at LaTech? I don't recall hearing a lot about LaTech's success since he has been there.

2. We won the NC and were runner-up after he was gone. What was the deal there? How did we do that without him?

Having asked my two questions I will add that one of my favorite memories was seeing Robken doing his thing at our final game in the SWC tournament against Texas.

toshortrock

Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

hogfan064

Florida, Clemson, NC State, and many others have male and female mascots.  Hey at least we have a mascot(look at Ole Miss)  and at least our mascot looks like a Hog.  Mississippi State's mascot looks like a bear and what is that thing ASU has?
ULL has a chili pepper

hogfan064

And the Hogs might as well have 5 mascots since we have so many logos.

whatsshakinbacon

ULL gets a thumbs up for creativity.  Auburn has long had the tiger and eagle as mascots.  But I don't know of any who have had the explosion of mascots that we have had.

It is arguable that for years our big helmet and small helmet were our mascots on the football field.

Bacon out...

hogfan064

Tennessee has 3 mascots

Smokey the real dog
Smokey the mascot dog
Davey Crocket or Daniel Boone(whoever the guy is supposed to be)

Chinese Emperor

I think we should just let Big Red out of his cage before the game.  Let him run amok for about 10 minutes bowling over young and old alike.  It'd be kinda' like the running of the bulls except in BWA.

As far as walking through the crowd before the game, it wouldn't work.  Somebody behind us would just ask us to sit down.

Razorgirl

What do you think people across the country think when they see us on national TV with some female piglit with bows in her hair running around the floor during timeouts.  For all they know that's our only mascot.  You've people people in Michigan wondering why the hell the Razorbacks have a pre-teen female for their mascot.  Must look real tough.

Now that was funny, and so true.

LA HAWG

I think we should have either...

A.  Bill Clinton as a mascot or

B.  A barefoot hillbilly.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: LA HAWG on February 27, 2006, 11:16:58 am
I think we should have either...

A.  Bill Clinton as a mascot or

B.  A barefoot hillbilly.

What's the difference?

JUST KIDDING!!!

Bacon out...

oldbooniehog

Here's a response to what Robken's done at La Tech.

When Robken went to La Tech, he did not go there as the basketball band director.

He went there as "Director of Bands."

That's sort of like a department chair position for all bands.

At Arkansas his last few years, he was the director of the athletic bands only.....Marching and Hogwild.

I know. I was in his last few Hogwild Bands.

Robken took on a heck of a lot more responsibility at La Tech than he had at Arkansas.

And, while women's basketball is huge down in Ruston, the whole thing just isn't quite the same big scene as it is at Arkansas.

oldbooniehog

LA HAWG

whatsshakinbacon

1836hog

Quote from: ConwayHog on February 27, 2006, 03:29:34 pm

I don't think its ridiculous.  We have four mascots.  Many teams have those big blowup mascots.  I've realized message boards are for griping.  I'm just glad we're not griping about the team.  I guess this is what a message board feels like when you're winning.

Amen, I'd rather gripe about moscots than losses, coaches, point guards, and DUI's anyday of the week.

LA HAWG

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on February 27, 2006, 04:20:01 pm
Quote from: LA HAWG on February 27, 2006, 04:16:43 pm
The Alma Mater sucks, and yes I am an alumnus.

Blasphemy!

Bacon out...

Bacon, you have to admit that the Alma Mater sounds more like a song that should be played at a funeral.  A majority of the students don't know it and the players would not think it cool to sing the Alma Mater.  The fight song maybe but not the Alma Mater. 

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: LA HAWG on February 27, 2006, 04:22:44 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on February 27, 2006, 04:20:01 pm
Quote from: LA HAWG on February 27, 2006, 04:16:43 pm
The Alma Mater sucks, and yes I am an alumnus.

Blasphemy!

Bacon out...

Bacon, you have to admit that the Alma Mater sounds more like a song that should be played at a funeral.  A majority of the students don't know it and the players would not think it cool to sing the Alma Mater.  The fight song maybe but not the Alma Mater. 

Actually, I like it.  While it is played too slow at times it is an awesome feeling to raise my finger to the sky at the end as a proud alumnus of Arkansas.  It is the perfect setup for the fight song.

The words need to be put on the big screen.  Over time everyone learns them.  I knew them before going to the U of A from years of practice at football games.

Bacon out...

ctthras

IT IS THE ALMA MATER....Who cares if you think it sucks.....IT IS THE FREAKING ALMA MATER

FLKeysGuy

It's my observation that almost every alma mater sounds like a German beer-drinking song. ;D

hogfan064

Noone's alma matter is exciting. They are all old songs.  None are cool like fight songs.  All are slow and boring not just Arkansas'

hogfan33

What the point of having it if no one is going to use it

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: hogfan33 on February 28, 2006, 08:12:33 pm
What the point of having it if no one is going to use it

Exactly what "it" are you talking about 33?

;D

Bacon out...

sowmonella

Big Red dropping from the rafters would be awesome, but I wouldn't be expecting it any time soon. We have 4 mascots at the gmaes Big Red, Sue E, Pork Chop, and Boss Hopg (a 5th when Yusk is present for football). While it may seem redundant to most, I think it actually does matter with youngsters. First, of course more mascots means they can spread out and offer the chance for more interaction. Secondly, I've seen several children that are afraid of Big Red but will interact with the less intimidating ones. As for people around the country they probably don't think much about it because several schools have adopted teh philosophy of multiple mascots.
My son was Big Red for 3 years during the Nolan era (98-2000). He wanted to repell into BWA but was stopped by the University for insurance reasons. He did crowd surf to the top of the lower deck on many occasions. Said it hurt like hell.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on February 26, 2006, 08:28:29 pm
I loved Bruce Pearl's return to tradition for Tennessee.  The team walked into the arena through the fans.  Should we do such?

Bacon out...

Why the hell not? We already copied them in football by running through the "A".

1836hog

Quote from: sowmonella on February 28, 2006, 08:26:59 pm
My son was Big Red for 3 years during the Nolan era (98-2000). He wanted to repell into BWA but was stopped by the University for insurance reasons. He did crowd surf to the top of the lower deck on many occasions. Said it hurt like hell.

I remember that Hog.  He used to go up through the student section all the way to the top.  I sat above that section and loved to watch him try to make it.  Props to your son.

hogfan064

Quote from: sowmonella on February 28, 2006, 08:26:59 pm

I don't think we need to take the risk of having Big Red come down from the rafters.  Wrestling fans will remember what happened to Owen Hart when this was attempted.  That would be a nightmare if it happened to a UA student dressed up like Big Red.