Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dontell vs. Bama

Started by RealSmartGuy, February 21, 2006, 10:34:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RealSmartGuy

Does everyone think our beloved coach will play Dontell tonight, or has he learned his lesson, and I will personally send someone $10 dollars if they make a sign and its on tv, about No Dontell this time Bama.

Surely he will not play, surely

NATEHOGG216

Thats not right man.  I don't like donterrible either.  But to make a sign bashing our own players while at a HOME game.  Thats classless.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

carhog

Guys point guard play has been a problem but it might be time to stop hammering Dontell.  Im not a Dontell fan but he is getting hammered everyday.  I give him credit because he was jumping up and down supporting our team against Florida.

RealSmartGuy

I never said to bash him, on the sign post, someone said they were making the sign, and I'd give em 10 bucks if they did because i'd laugh like crazy, that is worth 10 bucks to me to see someone have guts like that

NATEHOGG216

Guts to trash our own player on National TV.  Thats class. 

I agree, Dontell does not need to see the floor but lets not make fun of ourselves on tv
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

Temprees

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 21, 2006, 10:42:03 am
I never said to bash him, on the sign post, someone said they were making the sign, and I'd give em 10 bucks if they did because i'd laugh like crazy, that is worth 10 bucks to me to see someone have guts like that
Don't encourage, stupidity, ignorance, and a total lack of class.

nwarazfan

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 21, 2006, 10:42:03 am

Yes, lets bash a kid on national tv for taking the opportunity given to him to come to our university.  These aren't professionals. 

RealSmartGuy

talk to the guy who posted it, I think what he said is funny, regardless of what you think.

Temprees

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 21, 2006, 10:34:14 am
Does everyone think our beloved coach will play Dontell tonight, or has he learned his lesson, and I will personally send someone $10 dollars if they make a sign and its on tv, about No Dontell this time Bama.

Dontell will play tonight, for defensive purposes against Steele.  He will be needed.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: Temprees on February 21, 2006, 10:49:38 am
Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 21, 2006, 10:34:14 am

Dontell will play tonight, for defensive purposes against Steele.  He will be needed.

If he plays, he should not get to touch the ball.  maybe we could sub Offense for Defense the entire game.  what do you think.  Oh wait, we could just play ferg to gaurd steele.

RealSmartGuy

Dontell should not play period, he is not threat to score or penetrate, he can pass off on a zone defense, that is it, Dontell should not play

Temprees

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 21, 2006, 10:55:12 am
Dontell should not play period, he is not threat to score or penetrate, he can pass off on a zone defense, that is it, Dontell should not play

Dontell "WILL" play tonight.  Just watch.

RealSmartGuy

I agree he will play, he should not ever play again

nwarazfan

Good thing Heath didn't have this philosophy in our biggest non conf win that may get us to the tourney. 

jkstock04

Surely he won't see more than 5 minutes.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 21, 2006, 11:02:39 am
Good thing Heath didn't have this philosophy in our biggest non conf win that may get us to the tourney. 

too bad he did have it at Ole Miss, at LSU, at Kentucky, at Miss St, and at Bama.

nwarazfan

Quote from: NATEHOGG216 on February 21, 2006, 11:08:40 am
Quote from: nwarazfan on February 21, 2006, 11:02:39 am

too bad he did have it at Ole Miss, at LSU, at Kentucky, at Miss St, and at Bama.

And OM last year too, right? 

NATEHOGG216

actually most of the games last year.  Are you really trying to argue how "great" he did last year too?

nwarazfan

February 21, 2006, 11:13:27 am #18 Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 11:15:16 am by nwarazfan
Quote from: NATEHOGG216 on February 21, 2006, 11:11:20 am
actually most of the games last year.  Are you really trying to argue how "great" he did last year too?

Maybe all of our guards should sit after the 3 for 16 3 pt performance at OM.  How about Thomas never playing again after his blocked dunk attempt at Bama completely changed the momentum of the game?  How about benching Modica for disappearing at Tuscaloosa? Nah, its all Dontell's fault.

Coachjy

Dontell will probably play more than you think. He is a better defender than McCurdy and we need someone to slow down Ronald Steele. That being said, Dontell didn't slow him down in the game at Alabama. So maybe we stick Ferguson on him. Hope Dontell stays over there with Stan. He is a turnover waiting to happen.

johnny cash

I am not a Dontell fan, but atleast he would have dunked to where Townes airballs a lay in.

NATEHOGG216

No no, PLEASE show me where I said it was ALL dontell's fault.  I am saying that he is "supposed" to be a POINT GAURD.  It was my assumption, and possibly that is the problem, that your point gaurd is "supposed" to be the teams best(at least good) ball handler.  Now correct me if im wrong but didn't our PG(best ball handler) get stripped in the closing seconds of the Ole Miss game.

razorbackfan4life

Dontell has made mistkes, we all do, but his get magnified because he plays on the Razorbacks.  I'm mad at him for making those mistakes as well, but it's in the past and you can't do anything about it now.  I hope he finishes out the season well just to erase everything he did this year that people would look back on.  He has had his high points this year.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: Bogarto on February 21, 2006, 11:19:34 am
I hope and pray Donterrible does not see the floor tonight.

unfortunately he will, but don't worry he will foul steel on his 3 point shot to win the game at the end to go with his 4 tos, 1 point, 3 assists, 2 offensive fouls

chillinhoggie

I don't have anything against the guy and I'm not saying it's all his fault but I'm all about us winning....and that means keep him on the bench.

jkstock04

Quote from: Coachjy on February 21, 2006, 11:14:10 am
Dontell will probably play more than you think. He is a better defender than McCurdy and we need someone to slow down Ronald Steele.
Dontell sucks on defense just like everyone else on the team usually does....I don't see where people get this misconception that he's so great on defense and thats why we should play him...I've been to quite a few games this year, and I just don't see it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

I bet he not only plays 15-20 mins, I would not be surprised at all if he starts.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: ShortHog on February 21, 2006, 11:57:29 am
I bet he not only plays 15-20 mins, I would not be surprised at all if he starts.

unfortunately, you are probably right

chillinhoggie

Quote from: ShortHog on February 21, 2006, 11:57:29 am
I hope you're wrong.... then we might win

silvertip

Quote from: NATEHOGG216 on February 21, 2006, 11:19:21 am
No no, PLEASE show me where I said it was ALL dontell's fault.  I am saying that he is "supposed" to be a POINT GAURD.  It was my assumption, and possibly that is the problem, that your point gaurd is "supposed" to be the teams best(at least good) ball handler.  Now correct me if im wrong but didn't our PG(best ball handler) get stripped in the closing seconds of the Ole Miss game.

Didn't Fla's PG get stripped in the closing seconds of Saturday's game, allowing Hawgs to send it to OT & beat Fla? Didn't Pookie make one of the biggest bonehead plays of his career, going in for a "layup" against Horford that almost blew the game? Didn't Eric, once again, almost "shoot us out of the game" with one dumb shot after another down the stretch."??

This team, especially Eric & Pookie, threw up one cheap shot after another down the stretch. Same thing they've been doing for their entire careers.

Well, great, DJ was not in the game. While Eric & Pookie almost blew it again. Brewer & Thomas won the game, as usual. And it will be up to them & Townes to win the rest of the games.

It really doesn't matter who we have at PG the rest of this year. McCurdy did not have a good game either. We've been trying to get away from Eric running the show for the past 2 years. BECAUSE HE WILL NOT STOP SHOOTING when the game is on the line. And these close SEC games are "on the line" for 40 minutes.

NATEHOGG216

1   no it was corey brewer(not a PG) who got stripped at the end of the game
2   EF was 3 of 6 behind the arc.  How dare he shoot 50% from the 3
3   You are right everybody makes stupid plays, the difference is, do they make
                             good plays to offset those stupid plays.

NATEHOGG216

McCurdy didn't turn the ball over 4 fricking time on Offensive fouls in crucial situations either

silvertip

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 21, 2006, 11:27:20 am
Dontell will probably play more than you think. He is a better defender than McCurdy and we need someone to slow down Ronald Steele.
Dontell sucks on defense just like everyone else on the team usually does....I don't see where people get this misconception that he's so great on defense and thats why we should play him...I've been to quite a few games this year, and I just don't see it.

Big deal. You also don't see that the Hawgs are one of the best defensive teams in the SEC. Seriously, you should tape every game. Then write down what you think you "saw" after every game. Then pull the box score from hogwired.com & see how reality compares to what you "saw." You will be surprised. Then go to the tape & review what really happened

Florida came in as the leading FG% shooting team in the nation at around 51%. Hawgs held them to 43.5% and 35.7% on 3s. Held their "3-point bomber" Humphrey to 2-10 on 3s, and held their best big-man Horford to 10 points on 11 shots. Forced the Gators into 19 TOs vs 11 assists while committing only 19 PFs compared to Fla's 30.

Defense is what won the game. The only thing that kept the Gators in the game was repeated quick, undisciplined shots thrown up by a couple of our guards throughout the entire game. Plus a bad shooting night for Townes (1-8).

silvertip

Quote from: NATEHOGG216 on February 21, 2006, 01:24:49 pm
McCurdy didn't turn the ball over 4 fricking time on Offensive fouls in crucial situations either

Well, he's not in the game in those situations, is he?  Maybe because he has yet to prove he can handle it.

Make no mistake, Heath would love for someone other than Eric to be PG in these games. Sean hasn't been able to beat him out. Even though Eric is the worst PG in the SEC.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

silvertip

Quote from: NATEHOGG216 on February 21, 2006, 01:23:56 pm
1   no it was corey brewer(not a PG) who got stripped at the end of the game
2   EF was 3 of 6 behind the arc.  How dare he shoot 50% from the 3
3   You are right everybody makes stupid plays, the difference is, do they make
                             good plays to offset those stupid plays.

(1) I didn't say "at the end of the game." I said at the end of regulation---when Pookie stole it from Green & Townes made the FT to get to OT. You must be thinking of Brewer's steal at the end---was that against C. Brewer?

(2) I don't care if Eric was 3-6 on 3s. He got 12 points on 11 shots (4-11) which is 1.1 pts/shot. That point production is typical of what Eric does in these close games, and it will get you beat.

Compare that to Thomas--10 points on 3 shots for 3.3 pts/shot---or Brewer, 24 points on 16 shots for 1.5

Eric does this all the time---shoots too much without enough points while failing to get the ball to those who do more with their shots.  It might work at home---seldom works on the road

NATEHOGG216

actually, you said "in the closing seconds of the game" and yes it was brewer who got stripped by brewer at the end of the game.  But ya I saw how you said allowing us to send it to overtime.  Sorry didn't read closely enough.

About the EF shooting.  I have heard people beach about his 3 point shooting and I clumped your statement in with that.

as for mccurdy, no he isn't but when he is in he doesn't, and dontell does(crucial times or normal ones)

carhog

February 21, 2006, 03:11:05 pm #37 Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 03:46:11 pm by carhog
Silvertip

If not for Eric and pookie the we would not have won the game.  When players go cold u want them to quit shooting.  Well Brewer would have not shot in the second half of the Florida game if you follow by that.  You are unbelievable.  Everthing is blamed on Pookie and Eric in your eyes.  Agendas must be nice.

Going by your logic Oliver Miller should have shot more then Todd Day and Lee Mayberry.  Points Per Shot is a good stat but it has its flaws too.

HogsRule

Quote from: silvertip on February 21, 2006, 01:40:46 pm
Quote from: jkstock04 on February 21, 2006, 11:27:20 am

Big deal. You also don't see that the Hawgs are one of the best defensive teams in the SEC. Seriously, you should tape every game. Then write down what you think you "saw" after every game. Then pull the box score from hogwired.com & see how reality compares to what you "saw." You will be surprised. Then go to the tape & review what really happened

Florida came in as the leading FG% shooting team in the nation at around 51%. Hawgs held them to 43.5% and 35.7% on 3s. Held their "3-point bomber" Humphrey to 2-10 on 3s, and held their best big-man Horford to 10 points on 11 shots. Forced the Gators into 19 TOs vs 11 assists while committing only 19 PFs compared to Fla's 30.

Defense is what won the game. The only thing that kept the Gators in the game was repeated quick, undisciplined shots thrown up by a couple of our guards throughout the entire game. Plus a bad shooting night for Townes (1-8).

They may be good defenders in the first 30 minutes, but go back and watch the last 5 minutes of The Maryland game, Alabama, Miss St, LSU (twice), Kentucky, etc..  when the other teams turn it on, we stop playing tough defense and rebounding. I can't figure it out. Furgeson's "great" defense on Green was to give hime 2 WIDE open 3's at the end of the game. We got lucky he missed. It was also Ferguson who was guarding Steele at the end of the AL game and got taken to the whole.

Jefferson gets way too much blame for what's gone wrong. At least he's not afraid to play D at the end of games for what I can only assume is a fear of fouling at the end of games. And that BS call on the 3 - let's not revisit that. Do I think Dontell should get the bulk of the minutes? No obviously not after the FL game, but the guy plays hard and has made some pretty decent plays. (Block against KS, SEC assist leader, rebounds well, defends well)
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

HogsRule

Tonight's game will come down to if we can guard Steele in the last 5 minutes. It doesn't matter what he does the rest of the game, if we can shut him down at the end, we will win.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

silvertip

Quote from: carhog on February 21, 2006, 03:11:05 pm
Silvertip

If not for Eric and pookie the we would not have won the game.  When players go cold u want them to quit shooting.  Well Brewer would have not shot in the second half of the Florida game if you follow by that.  You are unbelievable.  Everthing is blamed on Pookie and Eric in your eyes.  Agendas must be nice.

Going by your logic Oliver Miller should have shot more then Todd Day and Lee Mayberry.  Points Per Shot is a good stat but it has its flaws too.

I can just as easily say that "if not for Eric & Pookie"---we would not have lost a bunch of those close games.

What I have said repeatedly, and you can't seem to put it all together is this:

(1) our inside game in general gets more points/shot than our outside shooting. I include Brewer on the "inside game" because he gets a LOT of points driving & getting to the foul line.

(2) Our "guards" Pookie & Eric typically shoot worse in road games. While the inside game of Brewer, Thomas, and Townes does not fall off as much on the road.

(3) Therefore, I want Pookie & Eric to SHOOT LESS on the road, WHEN/IF they are cold. And as far as I'm concerned, they don't. I've seen both of them take more shots than Brewer & Thomas when the inside game is working & the outside game isn't.

Now, I've appreciated that recently that you've done some research on "points/shot." I suggest you try this---check the points/shot for Pookie & Eric in the 5 SEC road losses. And the # of shots they take in those games. Compare that to their points/shot in home games.

I bet you will find that our 2 "guards" shoot poorly on the road, but do not decrease their shooting. Thus, in all those close games, they have wasted many possessions that the inside game would have made the difference in. It's not just total # of shots, it's also too much 3 point shooting.

I don't focus on the last minute of the game---although I don't recall our "guards" hitting any game-winners. I'm talking about 6-8-10 possesions or more all through the game. And specifically, a bunch of "quick, cheap" 3 point attempts without trying to go inside first.

So, you think I want to "blame everything on Pookie & Eric." Well, seems to me you think Pookie, especially, should be exempt from the type of crap posters here constantly want to heap on DJ, Townes & who ever else is their whipping-boy of the day. I even see them whining about Brewer all the time.

Pookie missed the clutch shot against Ole Miss, didn't he? He put up that bone-head shot at the end of the Fla game that we are just lucky didn't blow that game. He strung together a bunch of turnovers that allowed Maryland back into that game.  Those things don't bother me as much as the repeated quick 3-pt shots that he & Eric put up all through these close games. At home, they shoot better & we survive that lazy, undisciplined style. When they do it on the road, we wind up with the repeated nail-biter losses. I'm sick of it. 

H-O-double g

You can't stop Dontell, you can only hope to contain him!! ;D

chillinhoggie

D. Jefferson 10min 0pts 1reb 3assts 1steal
Quote from: H-O-double g on February 21, 2006, 07:52:16 pm
You can't stop Dontell, you can only hope to contain him!! ;D