Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Gruden--MERGED

Started by jbcarol, April 15, 2012, 03:05:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Queen Hog

I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller

Captain Morgan

Quote from: clutch on November 15, 2017, 08:27:16 pm
I'm just going by the 50+ high school football players that I'm around daily. They pay 0 attention to announcers, but they know who the crazy LSU coach was. You'd be surprised how little football high school football players watch. They have better things to do, and usually the last thing they want to do after getting out of a long Monday full of football practice is to go home and watch more football

Gruden is a TV star... I don't get the hype

Sportsguy

Quote from: Queen Hog on November 15, 2017, 11:43:51 pm
Mark Richt.

Richt is coaching at his alma mater. Might as well go ahead and say Lincoln Riley, Jim Harbaugh or Dabo Swinney while you're at it. lol

Broadway Rob

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 15, 2017, 08:34:08 pm
At least Tennessee dreams BIG!!! We want a retread!!

Gruden hasn't coach in college in 27 years, should be fine.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports
16h16 hours ago

Jon Gruden on Tennessee rumors: 'You never say never to nothing'
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger‏Verified account @RossDellenger
11h11 hours ago

Orgeron live questioner: "Tennessee is an ancient Indian word. It means. 'John Gruden is gonna be our next coach.'"
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

lilRockNDubb

jnhogs

Tennessee's pursuit of Gruden may be heating up, as school officials reported flew into Tampa to try to woo him.

http://www.12up.com/posts/5810723-jon-gruden-s-latest-interview-should-drive-tennessee-fans-crazy?a_aid=41091

bob slydell

Tenner fans will probably be crushed again.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

navyhog24

Supposedly was offered a 7 year, $71M deal by Tennesee

Jackrabbit Hog

Yes, this is for real.  Tennessee honestly thinks that they can get him to come be their coach.  In fairness, he does have several ties to the program and the area, plus his future at ESPN can't be as secure as it was a few years ago, given all the cuts and lay-offs. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

SooieGeneris

Gruden would fare about as well in college as Spurrier and Kelly did in the NFL IMO. He has made comments numerous times about his disdain for the NCAA rulebook. If they want to hire him, they better be prepared to open up the vault, also..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

HF#1

Yeah they are hiring the name. Nothing about Gruden makes sense for Tenner.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: SooieGeneris on November 16, 2017, 04:30:13 pm
Gruden would fare about as well in college as Spurrier and Kelly did in the NFL IMO. He has made comments numerous times about his disdain for the NCAA rulebook. If they want to hire him, they better be prepared to open up the vault, also..
7 years for 71 million sounds like they did open the vault.

I won't believe it until Duck confirms.

SouthTulsaHog

Hahahaha I honestly hope they hire Gruden. He is a complete unknown in the College Football world. I would much rather them spend $6M-$8M/year on him rather than a proven College Head Coach that I'm sure they can get.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 16, 2017, 04:29:38 pm
Yes, this is for real.  Tennessee honestly thinks that they can get him to come be their coach.  In fairness, he does have several ties to the program and the area, plus his future at ESPN can't be as secure as it was a few years ago, given all the cuts and lay-offs.
they will, too.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

#1 STUNNA

TrueBlue

Start practicing against the Spider 2 Y Banana.

Boardon Hamsay

The only chance UT has of landing Gruden is based on 1) the current culture at ESPN is a shell of itself former self (due to continued/still to come cutting of high contract labor), 2) Gruden's rapport with Sean McDonough off camera is the equivalent of pudding skin compared to the relationship he had with Tirico, and 3) Gruden finally realizes NFL owners aren't exactly lighting up his voicemail for job offers.

Highly unlikely unless previously mentioned 1 and 2 become unbearable and allow his ego to accept 3.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 16, 2017, 04:29:38 pm

But will he have Dooley-style fashion on the sidelines?
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

jbcarol

Jimmy Hyams‏ @JimmyHyams
11h11 hours ago

As I reported earlier Jon Gruden did not meet today with John Currie and other boosters about the Tennessee job. As I also reported Tennessee might talk to Gruden in the future but I do not think he will take the UT  job. If he returns to coaching I think it will be in the NFL

jbcarol

Dream on, Tennessee, but Jon Gruden isn't Nick Saban

QuoteScarblog: Said it before, but it bears repeating as the #Grumors reach critical mass. SEC football programs would be much better off if they would stop trying to hire another Nick Saban.

There's only one of those.

So here's a little friendly advice for our neighbors to the north whose favorite color is dreamsicle orange. Dream on, Vols for Life, but if your Jon Gruden fantasy were to happen, he wouldn't be even a reasonable facsimile.

Look at the SEC coaches who've beaten Saban since he got things rolling in his second season in Tuscaloosa: Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier, Les Miles, Gene Chizik, Kevin Sumlin, Gus Malzahn and Hugh Freeze.

Only Spurrier had NFL head coaching experience, as weak as it was, on his resume. With the exception of Meyer's relentless intensity, none of them bears much resemblance to the Alabama coach. With the exception of Malzahn and Sumlin, none of them still works in the SEC.

Spurrier throwing out coaching search hints to the Gator Nation doesn't count as work.

jbcarol

jbcarol

The truth about Jon Gruden and Tennessee coaching search

QuoteKNOXVILLE, Tenn. — The Jon Gruden-to-Tennessee "Grumors" are in full effect. Reporters are fruitlessly staking out airports. Bloggers are looking to out-sensationalize one another.

Don't kill the messenger, Vols fans, but it's extremely unlikely that Gruden is coming to Rocky Top.

"I can't see it happening," a prominent booster told SEC Country on Thursday.

"I don't think Jon Gruden is coming," a Tennessee football staff member said later in the day.

But Gruden recently said "never say never to nothing" in regard to a possible return to coaching, and that is all the hope some Vols' fans need.

jbcarol

Calhoun's
🐷
🏆‏Verified account @calhouns

We'd like to take a moment to clear things up as well as apologize. We got excited- like everyone. Please read:

Chris Low‏Verified account @ClowESPN
3h3 hours ago

Chris Low Retweeted Calhoun's
🐷

🏆

Having done this for 30 years, I've never seen anything rise to this level of lunacy with all the Gruden stuff. Not even close.

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Was Jon Gruden in Knoxville Saturday or wasn't he? 'Grumors' continue to swirl

QuoteJon Gruden might have been in Knoxville, Tennessee, on Saturday, but then maybe he might not have been.

With Tennessee's football coaching job officially open, the last few days have been a peak time for #Grumors. The former NFL coach -- and current NFL analyst -- may or may not have been spotted dining with former Volunteers quarterback Peyton Manning at Calhoun's, a popular area restaurant.

bill hofheimer @bhofheimer_espn

For all those wondering, Jon Gruden is actually 2,500 miles away from Calhoun's ... in Seattle prepping for #MNF. Production mtgs w/ the Seahawks this afternoon. https://twitter.com/calhouns/status/932050993788936192 ...

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell
12h12 hours ago

ESPN's Sean McDonough on MNF partner Jon Gruden: 'He's not going to Tennessee'

Would know.

moses_007

Gruden was a pro coach, and he has no interest in coaching again.  He's making good money at football telecasts and isn't leaving.

jbcarol

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-football-vols-john-currie-jon-gruden

Mike Griffin and SEC Country uncovered correspondence from Ainge warning Currie to dismiss Gruden as a possibility.

Things blew up a little later.

jbcarol

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/vol-twitter-columbia-university-john-currie

Columbia plans to bring in a former AD from a big time SEC program to give a one week lecture on college athletics.

TazorTusk

Sure hope it is not RED!!!

;)

Tazor

Boardon Hamsay

Gruden loves the kilowatts at Powerhouse
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

JHicks3636

He always seems to be at the top of our coaching wish list. He might consider a change of scenery.

PonderinHog

Would it count as a football scholarship or a basketball scholarship ???

Pig Latin

Oh come on, lighten up a little bit.
Quote from: KnilesKankle on April 22, 2012, 09:57:12 am
Smites are like scars, be proud of of them all.

NuttinItUp

Does Gruden coach roundball in the off-season?

Pig Latin

Quote from: KnilesKankle on April 22, 2012, 09:57:12 am
Smites are like scars, be proud of of them all.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

nwahogs

He's linked to every job opening like gruden used to be

SPAL

biggdaddyt

Hi Rick and Randy...first time caller...longtime listener.

Listen I have lurked here for years and remember being on hogville on my blackberry back in the day when the Petrino hire was going down. Has anyone put together a list of the posters here and their record for predictions? The great Duckman, Porkaterian etc. Just throwing it out there..

P.S. Anybody remember the legendary "All things Gruden Merged" thread? It was so legendary that it even had its own twitter account. These searches are always fun lol.

Shinobi Wan Kenobi

jgcat4

I remember ATGM. Greatest thread ever. It drove my wife nuts.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

biggdaddyt

Quote from: jgcat4 on December 04, 2019, 10:49:06 am
I remember ATGM. Greatest thread ever. It drove my wife nuts.

Yeah my production at work came to a standstill in those days...the Petrino coaching search especially.

Hoggie Style

Navy Vet and Proud to be an American!

jbcarol

SEC Football News
@SECfootball
·
19s
Raiders coach Jon Gruden crashes Tennessee class via Zoom

QuoteTennessee was the subject of numerous "Grumors" a couple of years ago, when it seemed Jon Gruden might take the head coaching position for the Vols.

However, the Vols went with Jeremy Pruitt.

His wife may have had connections there

jbcarol

Wes Rucker
@wesrucker247
·
13h
***GRUMORS NEVER DIE***

Raiders coach and former #Vols staffer Jon Gruden digitally drops in to surprise students in a University of Tennessee business class, including RB Ty Chandler.

https://bit.ly/2zf6tSZ

QuoteGrumors never die.

Las Vegas Raiders head coach Jon Gruden became the latest celebrity to digitally drop into a University of Tennessee online class, and UT released the video on Monday.

Gruden — a former Vols graduate assistant who married a Tennessee cheerleader —

"Excuse me, Professor Morris. My name is Jon Gruden, and I'm the coach of the Raiders," Gruden said moments after dropping into the class. "We're getting ready for the NFL Draft. I don't have a lot of time. I just don't know, do you say 'DAT-uh' or 'DAY-tuh?' Which is it?

"We're really sorry to interrupt. I'm a huge Tennessee fan."

By "we," Gruden meant himself and his wife, who promptly showed him how to turn on the video on his laptop so the students could see him.

"I'm a little confused. Thank God my wife helped me out here," Gruden said. "Some of my best memories are right down there at Cumberland Avenue."