Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA Tournament Chat

Started by reddierazorback, October 08, 2005, 09:58:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 25, 2006, 09:44:17 pm
Quote from: coolhandluke31 on February 25, 2006, 09:42:21 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on February 25, 2006, 09:40:15 pm
We need Kentucky and Alabama to falter down the stretch.  It would likely push them to be the last SEC selection and Arkansas would move ahead for a slightly higher seed.  We don't want to be an 8 or 9 guys.

It might be that us doing better in the SEC tourney than Alabama will be the key.

Bacon out...

True Bacon 8 or 9 puts you up against the 1 seed if you win

I want the whorns in the tourney.  Let us be the 8/9 in their region.

they are getting a 3 at best in dallas in the D.C. bracket, but that means we either get a 6 or 11, which both are unlikely
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

nwarazfan

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on February 25, 2006, 09:47:22 pm
We need Kentucky and Alabama to falter down the stretch.  It would likely push them to be the last SEC selection and Arkansas would move ahead for a slightly higher seed.  We don't want to be an 8 or 9 guys.

It might be that us doing better in the SEC tourney than Alabama will be the key.

Bacon out...

they are getting a 3 at best in dallas in the D.C. bracket, but that means we either get a 6 or 11, which both are unlikely

I think that last #1 is there for Texass if they win out including the L12 tourney.  Duke, UConn and Tiger High are the other 3.  Tenn had a chance 'til today. 

blueshog2001

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on February 25, 2006, 09:38:22 pm
www.bracketography.com
The only problem with this site is that it has 7 SEC teams going to the dance.  It even has Vandy in. That would be wonderful, but all of the so called experts say the SEC is down. 

nwarazfan

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 25, 2006, 09:52:45 pm

Bacon out...

I think that last #1 is there for Texass if they win out including the L12 tourney.  Duke, UConn and Tiger High are the other 3.  Tenn had a chance 'til today. 

'Nova has a chance at the other 1 too but must beat UConn again or at least make the Big East conf T finals and lose to UConn there.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: blueshog2001 on February 25, 2006, 09:53:31 pm
Quote from: coolhandluke31 on February 25, 2006, 09:38:22 pm
www.bracketography.com
The only problem with this site is that it has 7 SEC teams going to the dance.  It even has Vandy in. That would be wonderful, but all of the so called experts say the SEC is down. 

that bracket is before this weekends games when vandy still had a chance most of the sites show six teams unless the unlikely happens and either LSU, FLA, UT, UK, ALA, or the Hogs all lose the SEC tourney
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 25, 2006, 09:57:43 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on February 25, 2006, 09:52:45 pm

Bacon out...

'Nova has a chance at the other 1 too but must beat UConn again or at least make the Big East conf T finals and lose to UConn there.

Nova this year owns UCONN and if the get stiffed it will be a real travesty.

RandyFromJohnson

[/quote]
How you figure Nova "owns" UConn ? They've played exactly once, in Philly, and Nova won a tightly played game. That's hardly being "owned". In fact, UConn gets a shot at revenge tomorrow in Storrs. If UConn wins by 7 will that mean that they own Nova ?

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: RandyFromJohnson on February 25, 2006, 11:21:05 pm

How you figure Nova "owns" UConn ? They've played exactly once, in Philly, and Nova won a tightly played game. That's hardly being "owned". In fact, UConn gets a shot at revenge tomorrow in Storrs. If UConn wins by 7 will that mean that they own Nova ?
[/quote]

NO The fact that Uconn can't catch Nova for the outright big East crown is what I am talking about even if Uconn manages to beat Nova, they still have the better conf record and better seeding for the tourney

PHill94

I would love for us to play Nevada. Those WAC basketball teams just don't seem that tough.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: PHill94 on February 26, 2006, 12:07:57 am
I would love for us to play Nevada. Those WAC basketball teams just don't seem that tough.

that is not up to date as of our win against Tenn, but it may prove as our demise since if we get an 8-11 or 7-10 bid we either face the 1 or 2 seed after a win which in any region could be deadly

Hogeyeblind

tournament and media darling coach again. If a Big 10 team made a coaching change and targeted Heath:

1.  Do you think he would consider the offer

2.  Would you be glad, sad, or indifferent

fusbal11

Health continues to show improvement along with his players.  This is something I have expected all along, but most fans don't want to give a young coach time to grow.  "I want it all--right now" ,kind of thing.  We need to hang on to Heath,  he has already proven to be a Great recruiter and his coaching is getting better with each game.

WPS!!!!!!
Wooo Pig

Razorback Ranger

I think he stays for a while, he would consider it, but the HOGS can pay him to stay and its hard to leave when you feel like your on top. The question is will Frank keep the pocketbook open if another team tries to scoop him up.

hogstorm

Quote from: Hogeyeblind on February 26, 2006, 07:26:31 am
tournament and media darling coach again. If a Big 10 team made a coaching change and targeted Heath:

stan isnt stupid...if we made any kind of run in the tourney and a big 10 team came knocking i think he would definately consider going b/c of the pressure he has felt here and i am sure there is something to the rumors about his wife.

Tater Salad

Quote from: fusbal11 on February 26, 2006, 07:32:12 am
Health continues to show improvement along with his players.  This is something I have expected all along, but most fans don't want to give a young coach time to grow.  "I want it all--right now" ,kind of thing.  We need to hang on to Heath,  he has already proven to be a Great recruiter and his coaching is getting better with each game.

WPS!!!!!!

The University of Arkansas, especially  in basketball, is not a site for on-the-job training. But since things seem to be getting better, I'm willing to keep him around a little longer. But the first 3 years were horrendous, and definitely could have been less painful with a more experienced coach.

Chinese Emperor

February 26, 2006, 08:38:30 am #65 Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 08:41:21 am by Chinese Emperor
I'm not going to include the rumors of his wife in here since that's all speculation anyway.  So Let's just deal with Stan and his mindset. 

Why would he want to leave here for any other basketball program.  Granted his roots might be further north, but no other school in America barring NC, Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas (maybe) has a better basketball base and structure than us.  Stan knows that.  If winning a national championship is his goal, I think he knows he can't be at any better place since none of the other big 4 are gonna' come calling. 

As far as hard feelings (if there are any) due to darksider backlash:  I doubt he has any if much.  That's pretty much prevalent anywhere if you're not winning.  Besides we gave him a 2 year grace period and I think he appreciated that.  Also, he knew that all he had to do to get rid of the darksiders was to start winning.  I got the feeling he felt he deserved what he was getting when the team wasn't living up to expectations.  I also get the feeling he also knew he'd be getting a lot of love if he righted the ship.  I also get the feeling he would love to be an icon somewhere.  Where better than at Arkansas.  Nolan did it and Stan's a hell of lot nicer guy with the media and public than Nolan was. 

Bottom line:  I don't think he'd leave.

As far as how I would feel if he left:  I'd be excited about finding a new, bright coach.  There's plenty out there and Arkansas is still one of the top 10 basketball programs in America, the recent past not withstanding.  We'd get a good one.

That being said, I like Stan.  I've called for his head, but it's not because I didn't want him at the U of A.  He's class and a good ambassador for the state.  It was because he wasn't winning.  He winning now and as long as he continues to win, I want him to stay.

Tater Salad

Quote from: Chinese Emperor on February 26, 2006, 08:38:30 am
I'm not going to include the rumors of his wife in here since that's all speculation anyway.  So Let's just deal with Stan and his mindset. 

Why would he want to leave here for any other basketball program.  Granted his roots might be further north, but no other school in America barring NC, Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas (maybe) has a better basketball base and structure than us.  Stan knows that.  If winning a national championship is his goal, I think he knows he can't be at any better place since none of the other big 4 are gonna' come calling. 

As far as hard feelings (if there are any) due to darksider backlash:  I doubt he has any if much.  That's pretty much prevalent anywhere if you're not winning.  Besides we gave him a 2 year grace period and I think he appreciated that.  Also, he knew that all he had to do to get rid of the darksiders was to start winning.  I got the feeling he felt he deserved what he was getting when the team wasn't living up to expectations.  I also get the feeling he also knew he'd be getting a lot of love if he righted the ship.  I also get the feeling he would love to be an icon somewhere.  Where better than at Arkansas.  Nolan did it and Stan's a hell of lot nicer guy with the media and public than Nolan was. 

As far as how I would feel if he left:  I'd be excited about finding a new, bright coach.  There's plenty out there and Arkansas is still one of the top 10 basketball programs in America, the recent past not withstanding.  We'd get a good one.

That being said, I like Stan.  I've called for his head, but it's not because I didn't want him at the U of A.  He's class and a good ambassador for the state.  It was because he wasn't winning.  He winning now and as long as he continues to win, I want him to stay.

You make some good points, but I still think his wife is a factor.

TorsinAHog

I think we are getting WAY ahead of ourselves.  I want to see them close the year out strong first.  He has shown improvement every year he has been here and that is all you can really ask of a young coach.  Granted I would have liked to seen a big turn around like Pearl had at TN but to be honest Heath started with minimal talent.  Back to the topic, if this team made a run deep into the NCAAT he would get a BIG raise and contract extension from the U of A and with the incomming players it would be hard to leave.   
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Tater Salad on February 26, 2006, 08:14:36 am
Quote from: fusbal11 on February 26, 2006, 07:32:12 am

WPS!!!!!!

The University of Arkansas, especially  in basketball, is not a site for on-the-job training. But since things seem to be getting better, I'm willing to keep him around a little longer. But the first 3 years were horrendous, and definitely could have been less painful with a more experienced coach.
True, but in fairness to SH, he didn't hire himself. He was given the opportunity to coach here by JFB and I am sure he felt he would be allowed to grow into the job. If he fell flat next year I would say he is not he man for the job. He seems to be getting better along with the team so I agree with your assessment of at least another year.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Boarcephus

Facts are his teams are showing improvement every year.  With what he has coming back and what he has coming in Stan appears to have things rolling his way. 

I don't know about his wife and how she's been treated but I imagine it's not any worse than Nutt's family has been subjected to.  When you make that kind of money in that high profile a position, comes with the turf.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HighOnHogs

I have always felt that if Stan has success here that Arkansas is only a stepping stone.

Pignominious

The only reason his wife would be catching flak is because the hogs weren't winning.  Things are looking better for her.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Lokirain

Heath is under contract, he isn't going anywhere. Plus he has to have some loyalty to Arkansas, we showed him we believed in him when we hired him.

pfrg999

if We makes a run ine BOTH the SEC and NCAA.... land Ramar and the other Kid... Why would he go anywhere...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

CampuspostmanHOG

CampuspostmanHOG

Sure feels better this morning than the previous 3 months on Sunday mornings!

CampuspostmanHOG

Gawd I'm slow sometimes. I just connected your avatar with your text below it. That's hilarious!

HoopS

Listed as a team on the rise.  Bilas said we are in but to not stop playing.  Digger said we are in and working on improving seed.  In case you missed it.

sowmonella

It will be nice to watch CBS and see where we are seeded again. I've not been able to even watch in the last few years.  :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

HoopS

Wouldn't it be sweet to watch it right after the s. E. C. Champ game that we just won. 

cmakrzrbak

"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

Flatfoot

If Stan leaves I hope the door doesn't hit him in the ass on the way out.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

lumphog

WAKE UP...........I`m excited about the SEC tourney. I think they will make some NOISE.

Kilgor

February 26, 2006, 01:10:45 pm #85 Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 01:12:40 pm by Kilgor
Explain to me why it is more desirable to be a 10 or 11 seed than to be an 8 or 9 seed?  Seems counter-intuitive.

What are you predicting that our seeding will be this year?
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Hognob

8 or 9 seed plays the 1 seed in the second round. 

Adam Stokes

Because in the first round you would play harder competition, if you were a 10 or 11 you would play a 5 or 6, but if on the second round you would play an easier two or three seed.  But if you were and 8 or 9 seed, after the fist round youwould have to play a #1, which not many teams like to do.  Nonetheless we should always strive to be a higher seed.

sportscrazy

I know you never play to get a lower seed because you do not know but I would rather be a 10 or 11 than an 8 or 9.  Your goal should be to get to the Sweet 16 not just get a win.  I do not want to play a 1 seed until the regionals.  Many times 6 and 7 seeds are not much better if any than an 8 or 9.  I look at the possible 2nd round matchup over the 1st unless your a 14 seed or lower.  Your goal should be to get to the next site not the next game.  Duke has taken this approach for years and I would dare anyone to compare their success in the NCAA tournament to anybody elses in the last 20 years.

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

jrw11475

How many times has an 8 or 9 seed beat a 1 seed in the second round?  Enough said.

RedSatinHog

Some of you guys need to try and understand that transitioning a group of playground ball players into a TEAM was a task which was going to take time.  Clearly, his first year was spent trying to get certain players to understand that there was no "I" in TEAM.

This isn't OJT for Heath.  He had all of that when he was an assistant at MSU, as well as the year he was at Kent State.  He's proven he can coach every single year by consistently increasing his win totals.  The fact that CBS sportscasters were unashamed enough to point that out during the Kentucky game this year oughta be telling you something.  Also, Digger Phelps and Jay Bilas were quick to point out how much of a success he was last night.

Also, try and remember something.  Nolan wasn't exactly an instant success upon his arrival at the UA, either.  Nor was Sutton.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

RandyFromJohnson

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on February 25, 2006, 11:24:08 pm
Quote from: RandyFromJohnson on February 25, 2006, 11:21:05 pm

NO The fact that Uconn can't catch Nova for the outright big East crown is what I am talking about even if Uconn manages to beat Nova, they still have the better conf record and better seeding for the tourney
[/quote]
So if UConn wins today, they have the same 12-2 Big East record. Do you happen to know the Big East tiebreakers ? What do you base your "fact that Uconn can't catch Nova" statement on ? There are still 2 games each to play after today, so there in fact is no "fact" in your claim that Nova owns UConn. They don't. Just admit you don't know what the hell you're talking about on this subject and move on.

Hogs4Ever

Quote from: Getting Porked on February 26, 2006, 12:09:25 pm
If Stan leaves I hope the door doesn't hit him in the ass on the way out.

I agree.  And let's not get the cart before the horse.  He has only won ONE big game on the road.  It's time now to see if he can get the team to take the next step and get a big win streak going and get to the Sweet 16.  Hasn't happened yet.

Richard_white

Quote from: Hogeyeblind on February 26, 2006, 07:26:31 am

I have some money in my piggy bank I would help any school for to pay Stan to leave

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Chinese Emperor on February 26, 2006, 08:38:30 am

CE you hit it.  I have been wanting him let go also.  But have felt bad about it because I really think he would/will be a good one.  He has extreme class.  So, I am torn. 

Karma for you.
Retired Radio Host

hogwild84

I think it would be a bad idea for him to leave and go somewhere to "rebuild" a program. He has done that here for 3 years and a highly doubt he would want to go through the frustration and criticism of building back another program. If he got a coaching job more prestigious in college basketball than ARK (which there might be 10 or so), then it would most likely be a rebuilding job (like Indiana).  And those programs give their coaches way more hell than we give ours.  Bottom line is that Stan has the players he wants here with what seems to be a bright future ahead of him. He would be an idiot to leave.

bigred7987

He wants to reap the rewards of what he has done...I think he will stay.

WilsonHog

It's been fairly clear from the beginning that Stan is a Big Ten guy. That's where his roots are.

If we finish out the regular season strong and win a game or two in the NCAA Tournament, the national media will be all over him. Not quite the publicity he got for taking Kent State to the Elite Eight, but close given the rebuilding job he's had to do and the fact that he did it in the SEC.

The Iowa or Indiana jobs might be in play for him.  Steve Alford is the key there.

Do I want him to stay?  Well, I get more partial to him with each game he wins.

NuttsSacked

You can't ignore the Ramona factor.  She would drag Stan back to Michigan or surrounding area by his left ear.