Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New/Old Basketball Coach

Started by bigmac00, February 16, 2007, 10:25:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmac00

February 16, 2007, 10:25:59 am Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 10:30:30 am by bigmac00
This is my first post so be nice, but does anyone think that Nolan would come back since FB is gone, or would anyone even want him back. 

Might be interesting if he could get more out of the talent we have now.

HogBaptist

Quote from: bigmac00 on February 16, 2007, 10:25:59 am
This is my first post so be nice, but does anyone think that Noland would come back since FB is gone, or would anyone even want him back. 

welcome aboard....

no. won't ever happen.  too many bridges burned on that street.  you don't go back to work for a company that you are in a lawsuit with.

TMc

Hog Fan from Camden

I think it is more likely that Mike Anderson might come back.

jhudson84

Noland?  Nolan Richardson wouldnt

PintailKiller

"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

dish13-hog

Nolan got his money, he's not coming back. 

People soon forget what all went on during that time, but Nolan hasn't I'm sure.
"In the 6 billion year history of this planet there has been ONLY ONE national high school player of the year from the state of Arkansas. Houston Nutt had him and lost him.
Believe it or not."  - Mike Irwin, 1/16/07

"Digger Phelps is a moron." - Me, 3/11/07

HaWg 10

This is my first post so be nice, but does anyone think that Noland Nolan would come back since FB is gone, or would anyone even want him back. 

Fixed that for ya, just trying to be nice to the newbie ;D
"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

dish13-hog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on February 16, 2007, 10:31:16 am
Quote from: dish13-hog on February 16, 2007, 10:29:39 am

People soon forget what all went on during that time, but Nolan hasn't I'm sure.

He and Anderson stopped recruiting hard after 95. They thought they should be able to no longer recruit but select. Don't want them back

I don't want them back either, I thought the recruiting went down around that time as well. 

However, the reason for Nolan not coming back would be all of the grief he suffered through the whole time he was here.  That and I don't think we would ask him to come back either.
"In the 6 billion year history of this planet there has been ONLY ONE national high school player of the year from the state of Arkansas. Houston Nutt had him and lost him.
Believe it or not."  - Mike Irwin, 1/16/07

"Digger Phelps is a moron." - Me, 3/11/07

allyoucaneatbuffet

DOn't want either back...

YES Nolan got a raw deal
YES i feel bad for anderson never getting a chance to do his thing here

but NO, neither can recruit, and 40 MOH doesn't work anymore.... college ball is different today

oldfart

Nolan lost his fire for recruiting and I dont think it would ever start up again. The hours and hours it requires make it more of a young man's game unless you are a REALLY established program (such as a Duke) where the head coach delegates and assistants hit the road.  We need a YOUNG but PROVEN person at this point in time. 

okiehawg

Two things...

1.  Mike and Nolan are both gone for good.

2.  If they did want to come back, why would we want them back?  Honestly, give me one good reason why they have proven that bringing one of them back would be beneficial to the program.  And by the way, saying, "It would bring 40 minutes of Hell back and that would be fun to watch again" is not a valid answer.  We stopped winning and started losing the good recruits using that style.  Who cares what style we use, as long as we win!  There are many other, and far more succesful styles of coaching out there than those. 

jamie72921

Quote from: ImHogginIt on February 16, 2007, 10:31:16 am
Quote from: dish13-hog on February 16, 2007, 10:29:39 am

He and Anderson stopped recruiting hard after 95. They thought they should be able to no longer recruit but select. Don't want them back

Quit blaming Anderson. He was an assistant.

That's like Blaming Tracy Rocker for Nutt being a screwball.
Bless your heart

allyoucaneatbuffet

AND... this season ain't over yet boys... i mean i know it doesnt look good, but if we get over this 'poor me' routine we ought to head into vandy at 19-10, 8-7 looking for #20 on the last day of the season....

regardless, whoever the coach, next year we should ROCK

hoglee

bigpig79

There's always next year when you're an Arkansas fan.  It seems that us fans are always looking forward to next year thinking it will be better than the previous, but it won't.  It will be the same old mediocrity we see year in and year out unless something changes.

jamie72921

Quote from: okiehawg on February 16, 2007, 10:40:58 am
Two things...

2.  If they did want to come back, why would we want them back?  Honestly, give me one good reason why they have proven that bringing one of them back would be beneficial to the program.  And by the way, saying, "It would bring 40 minutes of Hell back and that would be fun to watch again" is not a valid answer.  We stopped winning and started losing the good recruits using that style.  Who cares what style we use, as long as we win!  There are many other, and far more succesful styles of coaching out there than those. 

Chris Jeffries, Joe Johnson, Jannero Pargo, Andre Iguadola, JJ Sullinger, Demario Eddins, and Jonathan Modica were all signed during Nolan's last 5 seasons here. 4 of those guys have played in the NBA.

How you guys can't see that kids leaving the program early for different reasons was the cause of our demise is beyond me. Heath has yet to bring in even as much talent as that listed above.

Talent wasn't the problem. Broyles and his never ceasing annoyance of Richardson created a severe negative atomosphere and ruined a national powerhouse. Of course Nolan isn't blameless.

But crap, if watching the latest soap opera hasn't taught you that Frank and his minions can and will make your life miserable regardless of what your contributions to the University and the Razorbacks, then nothing will.

I don't know how Nolan held it together as long as did with all he had to put up with.
Bless your heart

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: bigpig79 on February 16, 2007, 10:50:42 am
There's always next year when you're an Arkansas fan.  It seems that us fans are always looking forward to next year thinking it will be better than the previous, but it won't.  It will be the same old mediocrity we see year in and year out unless something changes.

agreed, but can we all not see hill as soph vs hill as a junior?  or beverley's improvement?  or heck even mccurdy plays more under control as he gets in.  or michael washington at age 20?

next year WILL be great, whoever the coach is!

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 16, 2007, 10:50:50 am
Two things...

Chris Jeffries, Joe Johnson, Jannero Pargo, Andre Iguadola, JJ Sullinger, Demario Eddins, and Jonathan Modica were all signed during Nolan's last 5 seasons here. 4 of those guys have played in the NBA.

How you guys can't see that kids leaving the program early for different reasons was the cause of our demise is beyond me. Heath has yet to bring in even as much talent as that listed above.

Talent wasn't the problem. Broyles and his never ceasing annoyance of Richardson created a severe negative atomosphere and ruined a national powerhouse. Of course Nolan isn't blameless.

But crap, if watching the latest soap opera hasn't taught you that Frank and his minions can and will make your life miserable regardless of what your contributions to the University and the Razorbacks, then nothing will.

I don't know how Nolan held it together as long as did with all he had to put up with.

Eddins and igoudala never played one dribble here, jeffries and JJ were 1 and done.

if nolan gets credit for E&I, then stan gets credit for Al Jefferson, and Thaddeus Young, and 7'0" JUlius Lamptey, and Mcdonald's AA OLu (left early after soph year), and...........

bigpig79

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on February 16, 2007, 10:53:20 am

agreed, but can we all not see hill as soph vs hill as a junior?  or beverley's improvement?  or heck even mccurdy plays more under control as he gets in.  or michael washington at age 20?

I hope you're right.  

okiehawg

Two things...

Heath hasn't brought in the talent?  What?  He gets top recruiting classes every year!  I have had this discussion to many times, Nolan is gone, he will never come back, and I am glad.  That style of play is done with, we would not be able to win continually with it.

okiehawg

And didn't Jefferies transfer after his Freshman year?  Why did he leave?

jamie72921

Not true. Way off.

Hill has not developed a jumper, or the ability to play proper position defense in the post, he still has no footwork at all on the offensive end. All he has done is get used to his body. That happens with time.

Players like Beverly don't develop. They are who they are. What's he going to do better than he does now except gain a little consistency? Do you not remember guys like Mayberry, Day, Thurman? Beverly is just like them. I love him by the way.

You are right on about Washington, but you are way off about the importance of who coaches these boys.

There is a reason noone has repeated what Wooden did at UCLA, Pitino has led 3 different schools to the final four, and Nolan Richardson is the only coach to ever win championships at every level he coached on.

It is an intangible that Stan Heath does not have.
Bless your heart

jackel1h

If your not the lead dog........The view never changes.

jamie72921

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on February 16, 2007, 10:55:05 am
Two things...

Eddins and igoudala never played one dribble here, jeffries and JJ were 1 and done.

if nolan gets credit for E&I, then stan gets credit for Al Jefferson, and Thaddeus Young, and 7'0" JUlius Lamptey, and Mcdonald's AA OLu (left early after soph year), and...........

I believe your point was that recruiting wasn't taking place. The fact that these kids all signed letters of intent refutes your assertion. That is the point.
Bless your heart

red_powerade

Quote from: HogBaptist on February 16, 2007, 10:27:11 am
This is my first post so be nice, but does anyone think that Noland would come back since FB is gone, or would anyone even want him back. 

welcome aboard....

no. won't ever happen.  too many bridges burned on that street.  you don't go back to work for a company that you are in a lawsuit with.

It has nothing to do with burnt bridges.  If Nolan wanted to coach, he'd be coaching.  He isn't.  He doesn't want to coach basketball anymore, that was evident when he left.

Snarlton

Man, this sentiment to bring Nolan back seems to be gaining popularity.  Were you people in Cambodia during the twilight of his tenure as coach here?  He was a disaster, recruiting against himself at every turn, sniping at Hog fans and LOSING.

jamie72921

Quote from: okiehawg on February 16, 2007, 10:59:34 am
And didn't Jefferies transfer after his Freshman year?  Why did he leave?

He said he was homesick for Fresno, California, his hometown. He transferred to Fresno St. and played for Tarkanian.

I think the negativity being created by Frank's medling coupled with the stress Nolan was showing at the time created a negative atmosphere as well.

Have you ever been in a situation where 2 authority figures over you are fighting? It is no fun. Noone wants to hang around negativity like that. It rarely turns out good. We lost something like12 kids that left the program after 96 that didn't complete their eligibility. That is a crazy number.

As I stated before, Nolan isn't blameless, but the recruiting thing just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
Bless your heart

r-neezy

I think it is funny that people make it seem as if Nolan wasnt winning. Out of the 17 years that he was coach, how many times did the Hogs play in a post season tournament? Hog fans never had to set and wonder- "Will the Hogs win enough games to make it to the NCAA tournament". You guys need to get real. Nolan got the job done. People claim he wasnt recruiting after 1995. How many people on the the 1994 Championship team were highly recruited players or MCDonald All-Americans? Are there some hog fans that believe that Scotty Thurman, Clint McDaniel, Corey Beck, and Dwight Stewart were highly recruited. Or maybe Roger Crawford, Al Dillard, and Davor Rimac were highly recruited players.

I will admit that Nolan had no business bringing in Larry Sachel, but is that any difference in Heath bringing in Dontell Jefferson.  Is Preston Cranford better than Blake Eddins? At least Eddins was getting playing time.

The same people that say Nolan didnt know what he was doing are probably the same people who think Ronnie Brewer is better than Joe Johnson. And we all should know better than that.

jamie72921

Quote from: r-neezy on February 16, 2007, 11:15:36 am
I think it is funny that people make it seem as if Nolan wasnt winning. Out of the 17 years that he was coach, how many times did the Hogs play in a post season tournament? Hog fans never had to set and wonder- "Will the Hogs win enough games to make it to the NCAA tournament". You guys need to get real. Nolan got the job done. People claim he wasnt recruiting after 1995. How many people on the the 1994 Championship team were highly recruited players or MCDonald All-Americans? Are there some hog fans that believe that Scotty Thurman, Clint McDaniel, Corey Beck, and Dwight Stewart were highly recruited. Or maybe Roger Crawford, Al Dillard, and Davor Rimac were highly recruited players.

I will admit that Nolan had no business bringing in Larry Sachel, but is that any difference in Heath bringing in Dontell Jefferson.  Is Preston Cranford better than Blake Eddins? At least Eddins was getting playing time.

The same people that say Nolan didnt know what he was doing are probably the same people who think Ronnie Brewer is better than Joe Johnson. And we all should know better than that.

Excellent post. +1
Bless your heart

laark

allyoucaneatbuffet

twice.  his first year and his last year.  (you said ANY postseason, including NIT)

heath?  twice.  his first year and second year (third year was NIT, but FRANK said 'NO')

you can't really count the first 'cupboard was bare' year of heath (as hogville calls it), so heath has 1 and nolan 2... i imagine when heath has a 2nd (losing season), he will be gone as well!!!!!

jamie72921

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on February 16, 2007, 11:23:59 am

twice.  his first year and his last year.  (you said ANY postseason, including NIT)

heath?  twice.  his first year and second year (third year was NIT, but FRANK said 'NO')

you can't really count the first 'cupboard was bare' year of heath (as hogville calls it), so heath has 1 and nolan 2... i imagine when heath has a 2nd (losing season), he will be gone as well!!!!!

Man you are a bitter person.
Bless your heart

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 16, 2007, 11:26:58 am

why?

because i know my facts? 

jamie72921

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on February 16, 2007, 11:29:03 am
Quote from: jamie72921 on February 16, 2007, 11:26:58 am

why?

because i know my facts? 

The interpretation of facts is far more important than the statement of them.

Quite frankly, you can't interpret worth a poot. You are blinded by your emotions.
Bless your heart

WILL CLINTON

Nice dodge, but you have to count his 3rd year because he didn't play in a post season tourney. 

2nd, if you don't count Heath's first year, why would you count Nolan's??

By my count, that's 3 for Heath, and 2 for Nolan.  75% for Heath, and 12% Nolan. 

Oh, and +1 to r-neezy, and jamie72921. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

oldfart

Next year we are gonna have basically the same players.  The question this year is, is it the talent level or is it the coaching? or both?  Like the guy saying, the good news is that you have the entire starting lineup back. The bad news is that they sucked last year.

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on February 16, 2007, 10:43:15 am
AND... this season ain't over yet boys... i mean i know it doesnt look good, but if we get over this 'poor me' routine we ought to head into vandy at 19-10, 8-7 looking for #20 on the last day of the season....

regardless, whoever the coach, next year we should ROCK

HeathWimp

I just don't want the new BB Coach to be named after a candy bar.  So, that rules out Coach Hershey, Coach Twix, and  Coach Whatchamacallit.

While we're at it, we should outlaw **any** coach named after a food product.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

UhOhioHog

That bridge was burned down long ago.  First we will get rid of The Dale, then Stan will be on the chopping block.

pigfeet

This is my first post so be nice, but does anyone think that Nolan would come back since FB is gone, or would anyone even want him back. 

+1 for having the balls to ask such a dumb arse question for your first post....Just kidding.

I don't think Nolan is the answer for the long haul. But good What-If scenario.

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: dubyacee on February 16, 2007, 11:35:15 am

Nice dodge, but you have to count his 3rd year because he didn't play in a post season tourney. 

2nd, if you don't count Heath's first year, why would you count Nolan's??

By my count, that's 3 for Heath, and 2 for Nolan.  75% for Heath, and 12% Nolan. 

Oh, and +1 to r-neezy, and jamie72921. 

Why?  FRANK said no to the NIT, not stan.  Stan couldn't control frank saying no for fear of an AState loss (see nolan, overtime, in 1986)

okiehawg

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 16, 2007, 11:01:16 am

Not true. Way off.

Hill has not developed a jumper, or the ability to play proper position defense in the post, he still has no footwork at all on the offensive end. All he has done is get used to his body. That happens with time.

Players like Beverly don't develop. They are who they are. What's he going to do better than he does now except gain a little consistency? Do you not remember guys like Mayberry, Day, Thurman? Beverly is just like them. I love him by the way.

You are right on about Washington, but you are way off about the importance of who coaches these boys.

There is a reason noone has repeated what Wooden did at UCLA, Pitino has led 3 different schools to the final four, and Nolan Richardson is the only coach to ever win championships at every level he coached on.

It is an intangible that Stan Heath does not have.

I disagree with some of this post and agree with some of it.  What I disagree with are your statements about Hill.  He does not have a jumper, but, he has good footwork.  The moves he makes, they are not possible with out good footwork.  Then on the defensive position, he gets himself into good defensive position.  Hill is not a liability on defense, he is a cornerstone!  Having him on the court can change the way a team attacks you offensively.

Second thing I disagree with, we had better hope that players like Beverly develop!  He is still a raw player, there is tons of room for improvement on him, mentally, physically and skills wise.  I call becoming more consistent developing, because after all, becoming more consistent does make you a better player.  In basketball, you are either improving or getting worse, there is no middle ground.  If he doesn't continue to develop as basketball player than he will be worse every year from this one.

The thing I agree with is your statement about who coaches them.  It does matter who coaches them, but I do think Stan has done a good job of developing our current players talent level and I am interested to see what he can do with a team next year if Hill does stay around, which I think he will.