Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I was a Heath fan.......... until tonight

Started by Gushugger, February 07, 2007, 10:50:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gushugger

Yes despite the win.  I've supported him since the day he got here.  My change isn't due to the wins and losses.  It was about the hard foul Steven Hill took tonight.  Hill had 3 hard fouls on him tonight.  The one he took on the back was sick.  I couldn't believe he got up from that.  You could hear the "thud" anywhere in the arena tonight.  Everyone went nuts booing.  I look over at Heath and he has that "awe shucks" look.  You know the one.  He rolls his head half way around and pouts his lip. 

Now let me qualify what I'm about to say.  I'm not a Nolan Richardson fan.  I was but I'm big on principle and the red neck and racism things put me over the edge.  But I saw Heath's reaction tonight and asked myself..... "WWND"?  If that would have been Nolan Richardson, the ref would still be begging him to calm down.  I found myself yelling at Stan to "Get behind your players!"  It was like he just took what the refs dished out.  He should have been all over the zebras at that point.  If I were a coach I would want to know that my coach wouldn't put up with crap and stand up to the refs on my behalf. 

Stand could and should have done it 1. To make a point to the refs, 2. To show his players he's always going to stand in on their behalf, and 3. To light a fire in that arena.  He does NOTHING to fire that place up.  I remember when there would be a horrible call and Nolan would jump up, stomp his foot and be half way to the snout.  Everyone went nuts.  We should have taken that situation and gone on a 8-12 point run. 

As of tonight I want to see someone else take the reins.  Heck, give me Bobby Knight.  I just want some passion back in that arena led by a passionate coach.

Fayetnam

It's OK dude! It will all be over soon. They don't have a snowballs chance in hell in making the tourney...therefore he will be gone. We'll get a great BB coach, and BB will be turned around and be the primary sport on campus again....about the time that Houston has totally ruined the football program. That's cool though, because BB is fun when they are rocking and rolling like they did in the 90's! And it will happen again, but not under Heath. Great Guy!!! Boring as hell!

Quote from: Gushugger on February 07, 2007, 10:50:18 pm
  Yes despite the win.  I've supported him since the day he got here.  My change isn't due to the wins and losses.  It was about the hard foul Steven Hill took tonight.  Hill had 3 hard fouls on him tonight.  The one he took on the back was sick.  I couldn't believe he got up from that.  You could hear the "thud" anywhere in the arena tonight.  Everyone went nuts booing.  I look over at Heath and he has that "awe shucks" look.  You know the one.  He rolls his head half way around and pouts his lip. 

Now let me qualify what I'm about to say.  I'm not a Nolan Richardson fan.  I was but I'm big on principle and the red neck and racism things put me over the edge.  But I saw Heath's reaction tonight and asked myself..... "WWND"?  If that would have been Nolan Richardson, the ref would still be begging him to calm down.  I found myself yelling at Stan to "Get behind your players!"  It was like he just took what the refs dished out.  He should have been all over the zebras at that point.  If I were a coach I would want to know that my coach wouldn't put up with crap and stand up to the refs on my behalf. 

Stand could and should have done it 1. To make a point to the refs, 2. To show his players he's always going to stand in on their behalf, and 3. To light a fire in that arena.  He does NOTHING to fire that place up.  I remember when there would be a horrible call and Nolan would jump up, stomp his foot and be half way to the snout.  Everyone went nuts.  We should have taken that situation and gone on a 8-12 point run. 

As of tonight I want to see someone else take the reins.  Heck, give me Bobby Knight.  I just want some passion back in that arena led by a passionate coach.

The moment Heath was hired I thought we had made a mistake, but I was willing to give him a chance. He's long since proven he can't get the job done.

Gushugger

I think this is his year to either go a long way into the Tourney or get out.  He's got a good team.  But the thing with Hill put me over the edge.  I'm big on principle and I don't want the coach acting like an elementary school counselor when your big man is getting gang banged.

Razor42

Heath will not be fired if Nutt is still here. racial issues all over again. They cannot claim mediocrity since football is in the same state.
42 is the answer

AstroHawg

Quote from: Fayetnam on February 07, 2007, 10:57:43 pm
It's OK dude! It will all be over soon. They don't have a snowballs chance in hell in making the tourney...therefore he will be gone. We'll get a great BB coach, and BB will be turned around and be the primary sport on campus again....about the time that Houston has totally ruined the football program. That's cool though, because BB is fun when they are rocking and rolling like they did in the 90's! And it will happen again, but not under Heath. Great Guy!!! Boring as hell!

Wanna bet?  This is the year he wins at least one tourny game.  The way this team gets up for big games, we could win a few.  I wish Stan would show some fire as well, but just think, HDN could be our BB coach as well.

seqco

I agree with the post, Heath I didn't understand his hire I gave him almost 5 years still the same old crap ball. If they do make the NCAA its one and done again, this team isn't that good.

camelt

Quote from: AstroHawg on February 07, 2007, 11:14:26 pm

Wanna bet?  This is the year he wins at least one tourny game.  The way this team gets up for big games, we could win a few.  I wish Stan would show some fire as well, but just think, HDN could be our BB coach as well.

I agree.  I would not want to play Ark in the tourney.  It's easy to point fingers and question the state of the program.  The SEC is brutal and very athletic.  The hogs will earn there stripes and win at least 1 in the NCAA's.

seqco

We shall see still plenty of games left. I just feel a laying of a stinky green egg in Baton Rouge coming especially if Hill is not 100% or not even on the court.

Texasbite

Quote from: camelt on February 07, 2007, 11:31:57 pm
Quote from: AstroHawg on February 07, 2007, 11:14:26 pm

I agree.  I would not want to play Ark in the tourney.  It's easy to point fingers and question the state of the program.  The SEC is brutal and very athletic.  The hogs will earn there stripes and win at least 1 in the NCAA's.
I just hope if we make the tourney, we don't play Bucknell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

allyoucaneatbuffet

1-you don't force a 'T' late in the game with a lead at home against a divison opponent you are 1 game behind
2-you don't force a 'T' late in the game with a lead at home against a divison opponent you are 1 game behind
3-you don't force a 'T' late in the game with a lead at home against a divison opponent you are 1 game behind
4-you don't force a 'T' late in the game with a lead at home against a divison opponent you are 1 game behind

with that said, you make some great points.... however, i regret to say again... that you don't force a 'T' late in the game with a lead at home against a divison opponent you are 1 game behind

Razor6

Is it time for some Heath Technical Fouls!?

There IS a right time to get a technical foul... when merited. Plus Nolan used to get them, and the fans loved him for getting one when the case was just.
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

seqco

Arkansas if they get in the bracket might play like a Nevada or Butler type team and lose.

Austin Sowers

I want Stan gone, but I also don't think we'll pay 3 coaches for 1 job. 

JLaHawg

Quote from: Razor42 on February 07, 2007, 11:13:55 pm
Heath will not be fired if Nutt is still here. racial issues all over again. They cannot claim mediocrity since football is in the same state.
I agree...not that outrage matters to JFB, but if he fires Heath and leave Nutt in place the racial overtones are obvious and justified. 

maximus

i want heath way outta town, send him back to the north.  if we do for some crazy reason make it to the tourney, we will get beat in the first round by garland county community college.  we will be up by bout forty points, then with ten minutes left, we will blow all the lead.  heath wont even get outta his chair.  do you know if bubba hog has any coaching experience?  we need someone that gets somewhat excited.  heath makes me snore.  even if i am awake and watching him, i just start snoring and go right to sleep.  go home yankee.  
Describe what Marsellus Wallace looks like!

hog golf

i made myself watch this game. hard not to pull for the hogs after a lifetime of ups and downs with a win or loss. at least now the losses don't hurt. apathy is soothing.
but, i got pretty mad when heath didn't go ballistic when steven hill got undercut for the SECOND time and is now possibly hurt and questionable for lsu. protect your players man. they make you your salary.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

Pig_Lebowski

This team gets up for big games?  I thought Kentucky was a big game.  if not the Biggest.

gduchar

Hey everyone, I just found out we won last night!! I'm sure it was Heath's game-planning this particular opponent and tailoring our play to beat Auburn's style. [sarcasm/]

TRUHOG718

What do you mean we dont have a snowballs chance in hell of making the tournament? And how do you know we will get a great BBall coach? May I look into your crystal ball?stop while your ahead I stopped reading your post after that.   
STOP >>>THINK>>>>POST
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

HeathWimp

Just to reiterate:

1.  We will not make the tournament this year.  We are 15-8 with many tough games ahead.    At  best we go 18-12, 18-13, or 19-13 (after the SEC tourney).  This is not going to be good enough to get a bid.  And we could lose more than 4 out of the remaining 7 regular season games.

2.  Heath will not be fired.  Nolangate, the subsequent lawsuit, Nutt-butter, and the prospect of paying 3 coaches at a time is simply too much to overcome.  As I stated in a post yesterday, I do not think that we could attract a quality, established coach even if Heath were fired.

3.  Basketball and football will contniue to drown in Mediocre-Ville until Frank dies.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

g.lynn

I didn't go to the game; watched on TV.
It sounded like BWA was about half-full.
What was the actual attendance?
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

VolHogg

Best Coach I ever saw in action was Dean Smith, he never got up and acted like a crazy man.  He was always cool, never saw him even sweat, you can have your Bobby Knight Types all you want, I like The Stan Heath and Dean Smith type of coach. 

berg

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on February 07, 2007, 11:41:34 pm
1-you don't force a 'T' late in the game with a lead at home against a divison opponent you are 1 game behind
2-you don't force a 'T' late in the game with a lead at home against a divison opponent you are 1 game behind
3-you don't force a 'T' late in the game with a lead at home against a divison opponent you are 1 game behind
4-you don't force a 'T' late in the game with a lead at home against a divison opponent you are 1 game behind

with that said, you make some great points.... however, i regret to say again... that you don't force a 'T' late in the game with a lead at home against a divison opponent you are 1 game behind

He was referring to the hard foul that Hill took in the first half.  The crowd was not in the game, we had a few bad calls in a row.  It was the perfect time to get a T.

Gushugger

Quote from: VolHogg on February 08, 2007, 08:29:29 am
Best Coach I ever saw in action was Dean Smith, he never got up and acted like a crazy man.  He was always cool, never saw him even sweat, you can have your Bobby Knight Types all you want, I like The Stan Heath and Dean Smith type of coach. 
What in Hades makes you think Dean Smith wouldn't have gotten the "T" in that situation?  There is a game that coaches have to play with the refs too. 

TRUHOG718

Quote from: HeathWimp on February 08, 2007, 08:22:45 am
Just to reiterate:

1.  We will not make the tournament this year.  We are 15-8 with many tough games ahead.    At  best we go 18-12, 18-13, or 19-13 (after the SEC tourney).  This is not going to be good enough to get a bid.  And we could lose more than 4 out of the remaining 7 regular season games.

2.  Heath will not be fired.  Nolangate, the subsequent lawsuit, Nutt-butter, and the prospect of paying 3 coaches at a time is simply too much to overcome.  As I stated in a post yesterday, I do not think that we could attract a quality, established coach even if Heath were fired.

3.  Basketball and football will contniue to drown in Mediocre-Ville until Frank dies.

I agree with some of your points but we are approaching the easiest stretch of our season with "not many tough games ahead (on paper) ". If we cannot hold our own with this schedule in February we dont deserve any postseason birth but I believe we finish over 500 in SEC play and were in. Our RPI and SOS will be the deciding factor. IMO

MCPeePants

Just to reiterate:

1.  We will not make the tournament this year.  We are 15-8 with many tough games ahead.    At  best we go 18-12, 18-13, or 19-13 (after the SEC tourney). 

You think we'll go 3-4 "at best" in closing out the regular season?

Road games at Vandy and LSU will be very tough wins (despite how sorry LSU has become lately) but the other 5 games are: Tenn and Miss at home, Miss St. twice, and Auburn on the road. Those are 5 games that are very winnable regardless of how much we struggle on the road.

I don't think we'll lose any of the home games and if we can win at least 1 of the road games that would give us 19 wins going into the tournament. At 8-8 in the SEC West, we'd likely be one of the top 2 teams in the division so we'd get a bye and probably be looking at playing someone like Georgia or Vandy in the 2nd round of the SEC tournament, likely needing to win the game to make the NCAA Tournament.

spudhog

i am not trying to defend him in any way but just trying to provide another point of view. sometimes you do have to stand up for yourself, but a lot of times in competition, you have to just hurt them on the scoreboard. nothing hurts worse than a loss. hill and heath were able to hang a loss on the tigers. also, a technical foul would've hurt us tremendously in that close of a game. stan picked a questionable technical at usc. i think we were tied at the time and it really wound up being a factor in the game.

Gushugger

Alright, I'll give in a little and go with some of your thoughts.  No "T" lets say.  How about something more than the "awe shucks" look he gives?  At least show the players you're behind them.

Gushugger

So, now what you "think" is what matters?  I bet he thought he was going to beat Kentucky too.  That didn't pan out so well. 

spudhog

Quote from: Gushugger on February 08, 2007, 09:47:42 am
Alright, I'll give in a little and go with some of your thoughts.  No "T" lets say.  How about something more than the "awe shucks" look he gives?  At least show the players you're behind them.

i agree. there should've been some form of protest. you must show them your behind them. i totally agree with your take.

First and last time Heath will ever be compared to Dean Smith.

Ouachihog

Quote from: donewithdale on February 08, 2007, 09:59:18 am
Its a good thing we have coaches like Tony Dungy who show that this theory that only type A personalities that throw tantrums and show emotion constantly are successful is stupid.  Just because your p o ed kicking the dog and throwing the remote doesn't mean that others have to act like you when things go against them including the coach.  And it certainly doesn't mean they are thinking aw shucks either.

Exactly.  It is not about the coaches style, it is about their results.  Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith have winning teams, and their coaching style is celebrated.  John Brady stomps the court all game, yet his team is 2-7.  Loud coaches win and lose, quiet coaches also win and lose.  I don't care if it is Barney the dinosaur, just give me a winner!
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

hotlanta

BayofPigs

Quote from: Ouachihog on February 08, 2007, 10:53:14 am
Its a good thing we have coaches like Tony Dungy who show that this theory that only type A personalities that throw tantrums and show emotion constantly are successful is stupid.  Just because your p o ed kicking the dog and throwing the remote doesn't mean that others have to act like you when things go against them including the coach.  And it certainly doesn't mean they are thinking aw shucks either.

Exactly.  It is not about the coaches style, it is about their results.  Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith have winning teams, and their coaching style is celebrated.  John Brady stomps the court all game, yet his team is 2-7.  Loud coaches win and lose, quiet coaches also win and lose.  I don't care if it is Barney the dinosaur, just give me a winner!
Agreed. I don't want another Houston Nutt or Ed Orgeron coaching my BB team.

ProfusionalHog

Quote from: Texasbite on February 07, 2007, 11:41:21 pm
I just hope if we make the tourney, we don't play Bucknell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...or Cornell, for that matter.

darth sooie

I'd say this is probably as good as it would get for a replacement if heath goes this year:

http://vcurams.vcu.edu/generalnew/granthire.html

Ross U (HDHF)

I'm no longer a Heath fan either, but not for those reasons.  Yes, he gets some good players in here but what does he do with them?  The last two games, I've seen a very unprepared Razorbacks squad take the court.  I saw a team that was slow to make adjustments (ultimately the coach's job).  I've seen a turnover prone team that takes bad shots and makes bad decisions down the stretch (also coaching).  Then man will not get it done here.  He's a great guy and a decent coach, but this program deserves better. 

Tone

Quote from: g.lynn on February 08, 2007, 08:27:35 am
I didn't go to the game; watched on TV.
It sounded like BWA was about half-full.
What was the actual attendance?

I have been to every game this year at BWA except the red-white game.  The crowd last night was poor to show up but loud.  It does show a sign of apathy.  The S. Hill thing was tough.  I was in the Restroom right after that and the buzz there was exactly was the original post voiced.  Heath should have done something, anything to show some "manlihood". 

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Karma on February 07, 2007, 11:04:03 pm

The moment Heath was hired I thought we had made a mistake

I didn't think we'd made a mistake at the time and I'm still not sure we did.  Back then, following the debacle left by that other guy, he was a breath of fresh air. 

However, I think we've seen the best we're going to get from Stan and it's time to move the program ahead.

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

spudhog

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on February 08, 2007, 11:31:22 am
Quote from: Karma on February 07, 2007, 11:04:03 pm

The moment Heath was hired I thought we had made a mistake

I didn't think we'd made a mistake at the time and I'm still not sure we did.  Back then, following the debacle left by that other guy, he was a breath of fresh air. 

However, I think we've seen the best we're going to get from Stan and it's time to move the program ahead.

great point. i know part of the reason he was hired was the fact of his race and the race of nolan. i think stan is a class act who was given a chance (right or wrong) and i think he knew a little why he got the job. he has embraced his job and i don't think could ever be accused of not working hard. i just don't think he can take us to that big time level. i wish he could.

Toad Suck Pork

Just to reiterate:

Completely agree on all points!

How can you compare Heath and the Dean?  Dean Smith's track record commanded respect from the refs, ala Coach K, Lute Olsen, etc.  Heath is far from and doubtfully will ever reach that level where his mellow coaching style will be of benefit to him with the refs.

Anon2

That upper deck looked about 20 percent full.  Anything on attendance?

MF

If I'm not mistaken on the Hill "fall", there was a shooting foul prior to Hill's non-foul therefore the ball was dead by the time that Hill went for the rebound.  Heath didn't have anything to argue because a foul could not have been called.
"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Ouachihog

Quote from: Anon2 on February 08, 2007, 11:48:54 am
That upper deck looked about 20 percent full.  Anything on attendance?

Announced crowd was around 16,900.  I was not there, but most say the announced crowd is typically 2,000-5,000 over the actual attendance in the arena.  From watching on tv, the lower level looked about 85% full.  Too dark to see the upper level.  I would estimate around 13,500-14,000 in the arena.  Again, I was not there though. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

TRUHOG718

Joe Torre has a  Quiet businesslike personality. One hell of a manager though. i could care lesss about Stans attitude Just win. Rick Barnes is the same way. I would like heath to be more threatening also but thats probably because I grew up watching Nolan so thats not fair to Stan. If we were 18 and 4 we wouldnt be discussing this. Winning will cure a lot of the doubts.

Pignominious

Quote from: Ouachihog on February 08, 2007, 10:53:14 am

Good post.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Hollywood_HOGan

this is one of the reasons the SEC officials sometimes screw us so badly.

Heath simply has no balls when it comes to working the refs. He needs to stick up for his guys more.

Gushugger

This post isn't about wins or losses.  It's about a coach showing his players he is behind them and will jump the refs when they screw us.  I don't care how he coaches the rest of the game.  Just man up when your players are getting raped, then sit down and have a cup of tea for all I care.