Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is this basketball team missing?

Started by snag, February 03, 2007, 05:34:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

snag

I can't quite get my finger on it. First would be a top-notch point guard, though I honestly think Beverly and Welsh will be a fine guard tandem for the next three years. Second would be guard depth.

Here are a few more observations on what is missing:
- Heart. The only guy willing to step up seems to be Beverly, and you can only ask a freshman to do so much (unless he is an all-world type like Durant or Oden). Guys do not seem to step up in crunch time. Rather, they seem to fade. That is a lack of confidence, or tenacity, or heart. I'm not sure what you call it, but it is missing from this team.
- It seems to me that you primarily have two kinds of programs in college basketball today. First, there is North Carolina, Florida, Duke, Ohio State and whatever other teams get hot at recruiting superstars. They win with young guys - often freshmen - who are NBA ready. This has become more pronounced since the new NBA rule preventing kids from going straight from HS to NBA. Kevin Durant and Greg Oden immediately make their teams contenders. Those teams win primarily on talent. Second are the teams that have players that play together for 3 or 4 years and develop into an impressive team. Lots of mid-majors fall into this category, and they are often the most fun to watch because they play great team ball. Watching these two types of teams duke it out in the NCAA tournament is one thing that makes it the most enjoyable sporting event every year.
     Now what does this have to do with the Hogs? Well, we're obviously not in the first group. We don't get the elite players. We get close to elite players, but not many first-round-NBA-Top 50-in-the-country type players. So we would fall into that second category of teams that develop into good teams with core players that play together 3 or 4 years. However, I think the problem with us this year that keeps cropping up is that, yes, we have several juniors, but 3 of our starters are players that have not played on this team until this year. So we do not have that maturity - that cohesiveness - that teams who are not sending a lot of players to the NBA (especially early) normally have. This is certainly one significant factor in our turnover problem. Our guys are still learning each other and do not play like guys who have played together 2 or 3 years - because they haven't.
     So I'm hopeful that we'll get better as the year goes by, though I don't see a lot of evidence to that effect. Hill is much better. Welsh is much better. Beverly & Thomas continue to impress. Weems is pretty solid. Without a doubt, next year will be the make-or-break it season. Heath either makes it to the Tournament next year and wins at least a couple of games, or he has to be toast. Will they be a cohesive team next year that learn one another so well that they play great team basketball, or will they flounder yet again and call into question Stan Heath's ability to coach a team to greatness? Time will tell.

WindyCityHog

Killer instinct.....

Put them away when the opponent is down.

That's what the basketball Hogs are missing.

jamie72921

This team is not missing a player. It is missing an identity. It really is that simple.

When asked by reporters how he was going to play any particular opponent, he had only one,
invariably tranquil, answer: "The same way we play all of our opponents. We never change our
style to match the competition. We only play our own game."- John Wooden.

What style do we play? Whatever style the other team does.

Charles Thomas has twice been quoted this season as saying the team would get better as the season went on because we would have more film on our opponents and be prepared for what they want to do.

I would rather take the Wooden approach.
Bless your heart

Silver Hog

missing 3 pointers, missing free throws, missing rebounds, missing the NCAAT.

snag

Quote from: swisshog on February 03, 2007, 05:39:27 pm
missing 3 pointers, missing free throws, missing rebounds, missing the NCAAT.

Our 3 point percentage and free throw percentage were better than Kentucky's today. Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure that both of these percentages are better this year than any year in the Heath era. Rebounds were basically a tie today. Our rebounding is improving - no longer a weakness. So I think you just listed the team's three strengths.

jamie72921

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 03, 2007, 05:38:45 pm
This team is not missing a player. It is missing an identity. It really is that simple.

When asked by reporters how he was going to play any particular opponent, he had only one,
invariably tranquil, answer: "The same way we play all of our opponents. We never change our

Charles Thomas has twice been quoted this season as saying the team would get better as the season went on because we would have more film on our opponents and be prepared for what they want to do.

Bless your heart

hogsailor

Quote from: PorkOpine on February 03, 2007, 05:37:16 pm
A Coach.  End of discussion.

A D1 coach. Someone who can go head to head with someone like Tubby.

A deeper bench with more stamina. I used to think we had one but now I'm starting to wonder.
Tubby was constantly changing out players with the same effectiveness, keeping his players fresh. We can't do that.
I think Thomas might have made the game closer but not enough for a win.

I was gonna watch basketball all day today but after that game I couldn't stand it...

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

hogman64

What is the one common denominator of the last five teams?  I think there is only one constant ingredient present for all five years and that is Stan Heath........

Now you can throw out we dont have a point guard, we dont play consistently , we dont have a leader, we dont play with intensity on the road, we cant hold a lead,..all these last 5 teams have  had different players,but they all have the same  problems... at what  point does that one common denominator get held responsible?

jamie72921

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 03, 2007, 05:46:02 pm

Without an identity, you will be consistently inconconsistent.

What are we?
Bless your heart

10thPlanet

were missing a pt. guard.
OOPS, what Hogman 64 said.

razorback355

Plain and simple,Losing the recruiting war to Memphis(State) for the services of PG Willie Kemp set us back more than most fans know,McCurdy is a nice kid and a decent player but far from a PG in the SEC.

GHG

jamie72921

Quote from: dkwvike on February 03, 2007, 05:52:33 pm

The first thing, the foundation, is the identity of the program. It is slightly tweaked to fit each team, but the foundation remains constant.

Without it you will always be inconsistent, even with more talent.

We do not have an identity as a program. We do not get enough McDonald's All Americans here to overcome that with talent.

Pick an identity, a style, or whatever you want to call it and go with it.

Quit trying to beat the other team at what it does best!
Bless your heart

HawgWyld

Quote from: WindyCityHog on February 03, 2007, 05:36:01 pm
Killer instinct.....

Put them away when the opponent is down.

That's what the basketball Hogs are missing.
That's exactly right.

jamie72921

Quote from: donewithdale on February 03, 2007, 06:00:07 pm
OOPS, what Hogman 64 said.

Too easy to keep blaming that. 
Quote from: razorback355 on February 03, 2007, 05:55:05 pm
Plain and simple,Losing the recruiting war to Memphis(State) for the services of PG Willie Kemp set us back more than most fans know,McCurdy is a nice kid and a decent player but far from a PG in the SEC.

GHG

To easy to keep blaming the PG.  More to it than that or Stan's in game decisions.  I think 355 is on to something.  Stan has been a good recruiter but I think we overrated it after he signed Olu and then Al.  Kentucky was the better team today.  Tubby could switch styles of play mid game because he has a deeper more talented team.

You are getting warmer. It is the coaches fault the program has not got an identity. Not players.

Yes, you can eventually become so talented that you can even overcome a lack of identity. The Problem is, only about 15 kids a year are real difference makers as Frosh.

After Duke, NC, Kentucky, Florida, Kansas, and the big 10 get through signing them there are few left for Arkansas.

Meaning it will be virtually impossible for us to win on talent level alone.

WE NEED AN IDENTITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bless your heart

3kgthog

1. A coach
2. A PG instead of the poor man's Kareem Reid that we have now in Ervin
3. Real talent to replace the empty uniforms of McCurdy, Hunter, Cranford, McGowan, and usually Townes who only shows up once every five games

jamie72921

Quote from: donewithdale on February 03, 2007, 06:02:43 pm
Quote from: jamie72921 on February 03, 2007, 05:56:19 pm

The first thing, the foundation, is the identity of the program. It is slightly tweaked to fit each team, but the foundation remains constant.

Without it you will always be inconsistent, even with more talent.

We do not have an identity as a program. We do not get enough McDonald's All Americans here to overcome that with talent.

Pick an identity, a style, or whatever you want to call it and go with it.

Quit trying to beat the other team at what it does best!

I think this year's team has developed a style.  Its up tempo, try to push to beat the other team down.  When we can force that, we are  very good.  On defense, we mostly play good halfcourt D.  Problem is we can't figure out how to impose our style on our opponents enough. 

I agree that until this season, I did not see a style.

I disagree that this team is committed to being up tempo. I do believe they play better at quicker tempo but I see little to lead me believe that they try to force a style on the other team at all.

Do the press? No. Do they halfcourt trap? No. Do they run the secondary break offense? No.

If the other team is uptempo, they will play uptempo. If the other team is slow down, they will slow down.

You cannot be consistent like that.
Bless your heart

Hogzilla

jamie72921

Quote from: hogapalooza on February 03, 2007, 06:09:56 pm
We are missing   a   Michael  Jordan?

You are exactly right! That is the kind of talent it takes to overcome not having an identity as a program!
Bless your heart

Pigskin_Porker

We need more toughness and intensity and it starts with the HC.
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

jamie72921

Quote from: Pigskin_Porker on February 03, 2007, 06:14:30 pm
We need more toughness and intensity and it starts with the HC.

That would require an identity to be tough minded.
Bless your heart

Qbackinman

I, too, go with the coaching answer. Tubby outcoaxhed Stan down the stretch today.

And the Hoggies were huffing and puffing. What happened to their conditioning?

Pig_Lebowski

what this team lacks, is what, and I am fighting back vomit, what HDN rails about every day.

Character, Heart, Determination. yadda yadda yadda.

This team Sucks.  This team's leadership, Sucks.  Kentucky, was beat, however, it drew upon it's CHARACTER, and prevailed. Arkansas, SUCKS.
It's Coach, SUCKS.
It's future, SUCKS.
And, we will never be free, from him, until the Nutt is gone, because we cannot get rid of him, because his record, is better than H's.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKK

pigfeet

A true leader. Beverly is a leader but is a freshman.

snag

rude1

Then after next year, we can go back to the young excuse as to why we aren't winning, as some are using right now. Is it me or has that "young" excuse seems to have been here the five years Heath has been here? When does this guy produce? When does this guy ever contend and win? When does this guy produce a team that's playing for a seeding instead of hoping and praying to just land on the bubble? I say enough is enough, either he gets this team to the tourney or he is thanked for his contribution and shown the highway back to Michigan.

The real Hogules

Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

softballguy8

Quote from: snag on February 03, 2007, 05:34:23 pm
I can't quite get my finger on it. First would be a top-notch point guard, though I honestly think Beverly and Welsh will be a fine guard tandem for the next three years. Second would be guard depth.

- Heart. The only guy willing to step up seems to be Beverly, and you can only ask a freshman to do so much (unless he is an all-world type like Durant or Oden). Guys do not seem to step up in crunch time. Rather, they seem to fade. That is a lack of confidence, or tenacity, or heart. I'm not sure what you call it, but it is missing from this team.
- It seems to me that you primarily have two kinds of programs in college basketball today. First, there is North Carolina, Florida, Duke, Ohio State and whatever other teams get hot at recruiting superstars. They win with young guys - often freshmen - who are NBA ready. This has become more pronounced since the new NBA rule preventing kids from going straight from HS to NBA. Kevin Durant and Greg Oden immediately make their teams contenders. Those teams win primarily on talent. Second are the teams that have players that play together for 3 or 4 years and develop into an impressive team. Lots of mid-majors fall into this category, and they are often the most fun to watch because they play great team ball. Watching these two types of teams duke it out in the NCAA tournament is one thing that makes it the most enjoyable sporting event every year.
     Now what does this have to do with the Hogs? Well, we're obviously not in the first group. We don't get the elite players. We get close to elite players, but not many first-round-NBA-Top 50-in-the-country type players. So we would fall into that second category of teams that develop into good teams with core players that play together 3 or 4 years. However, I think the problem with us this year that keeps cropping up is that, yes, we have several juniors, but 3 of our starters are players that have not played on this team until this year. So we do not have that maturity - that cohesiveness - that teams who are not sending a lot of players to the NBA (especially early) normally have. This is certainly one significant factor in our turnover problem. Our guys are still learning each other and do not play like guys who have played together 2 or 3 years - because they haven't.
     So I'm hopeful that we'll get better as the year goes by, though I don't see a lot of evidence to that effect. Hill is much better. Welsh is much better. Beverly & Thomas continue to impress. Weems is pretty solid. Without a doubt, next year will be the make-or-break it season. Heath either makes it to the Tournament next year and wins at least a couple of games, or he has to be toast. Will they be a cohesive team next year that learn one another so well that they play great team basketball, or will they flounder yet again and call into question Stan Heath's ability to coach a team to greatness? Time will tell.

Easy a coach ... I was sitting in Grubb's today. There was 12 minutes in the game. UK started double teaming Hill. We all agreed, that Heath wouldn't be smart enough to figure out to put Beverly on the same side of the court with Hill so he could kick the ball back out to Beverly.

Heath is a great recruiter ... maybe better than Nolan and Anderson. But I know elementary school teachers who could coach better than him.
Coach Petrino ... Welcome to Arkansas!

revolution

A little thing I like to call "stragety" - John in Peter Pan

Tone

A guy to go to.  When you need a basket to stop a run, you need a go to guy.  Corliss was that go to guy.  I am official on the Steven Hill Bandwagon after the moves he had today. 

There were times that the guard could have fed him but they didn't and I couldn't figure it out.  He is a smart enough player to look for the double and kick the ball back out for the three.  He is not a "black hole" like some other players.

hogninja

FIRE from somebody, anybody.  The coach, the assistant coach, any player willing to step up.  We looked BORED in the second half, just going through the motions and not doing a good job of that.  We need a person to get really PISSED off and get this team going when they are slipping. IMHO :razorback:

HogsGranpa

Quote from: snag on February 03, 2007, 05:34:23 pm

I believe, as I posted in another thread, this year's Razorback team seems to wilt in the 2nd half under the pressure defense.

Erwin just simply seems to "lose it", and it affects his whole game.

However, as could be seen on TV, and noted by the TV announcers, due to Thomas not being able to play, Steven Hill had to play more then he usually does, and he was dogged tired, and fatigue caught up with him, and still he was left in the game for additional 2 or 3 minutes, before he was taken out for rest.

The announcers stated he had been averaging 24 minutes per game, and today he was well over 30 minutes, and it was showing, as he seemed to just lose his legs and quickness, when the fatigue set in.

prhogs22

A POINT GAURD, MORE DEPTH, BETTER COACHING.  WE ARE SEEING THE REASON THAT STANSBURY DIDNT CARE THAT ERVIN TRANSFERED TOO A SCHOOL IN THE SAME CONF. HECK SAME DIV. SO FAR HES HAVING THE LAST LAUGH.

cohog

Mental Toughness! 

Eddie's teams had it.  Nolan's had it.  Stan's don't.  Beverly has it.  Ervin doesn't. 

Although, I think Stan is getting better at instilling toughness in his teams.  He's still young and growing as a coach.  Eddie and Nolan had tough practices and that carried over to the games.  Stan's put some tough, experienced assistants on the staff and that's starting to help.

One of Stan's problems - he sticks with players because of what they could be, instead of how they actually perform - namely, Dontell Jefferson, Famutimi, Gary Ervin.  And, he sometimes doesn't play guys that could help because of some strange reason - namely, Modica and Townes.  They both had very good years followed by low minutes in the next.  Other coaches saw their potential and picked them as All-SEC.  Then Heath cut their minutes.  Townes needs more minutes!  He plays better when he gets the minutes.  We all know what Modica did last year after Heath finally let him loose.

hoggystyle78

A real BB coach, who has the balls and experience to restore our BB program to one of the elite.

Blue35

February 03, 2007, 10:46:36 pm #35 Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 10:51:21 pm by Blue35
A good dose of a mean ass coach like Bobby Knight to light a fire under their butts. >:(

jamie72921

Quote from: cohog on February 03, 2007, 09:33:16 pm
Mental Toughness! 

Eddie's teams had it.  Nolan's had it.  Stan's don't.  Beverly has it.  Ervin doesn't. 

Although, I think Stan is getting better at instilling toughness in his teams.  He's still young and growing as a coach.  Eddie and Nolan had tough practices and that carried over to the games.  Stan's put some tough, experienced assistants on the staff and that's starting to help.

One of Stan's problems - he sticks with players because of what they could be, instead of how they actually perform - namely, Dontell Jefferson, Famutimi, Gary Ervin.  And, he sometimes doesn't play guys that could help because of some strange reason - namely, Modica and Townes.  They both had very good years followed by low minutes in the next.  Other coaches saw their potential and picked them as All-SEC.  Then Heath cut their minutes.  Townes needs more minutes!  He plays better when he gets the minutes.  We all know what Modica did last year after Heath finally let him loose.

Eddie's and Nolan's teams both had an identity. Stan Heath's teams do not.

It is impossible to develop the toughness you want without having an identity.

An identity is like a beacon. A place you can gain bearings from anytime you get a little lost. You just look at your current position in comparison to where you want to be and you can make corrections to get back to what you want to do.

Without the identity, you can't stand strong or make a move to correct your current course.

Eddie's identity for his program - Defense, Dedication, Discipline, and Desire

Nolan's identity for his program - 40 minutes of hell, huevos trap

Heath's identity for his program - ?????????????????????????
Bless your heart

hillhog

Quote from: Qbackinman on February 03, 2007, 06:18:32 pm

I, too, go with the coaching answer. Tubby outcoaxhed Stan down the stretch today.

And the Hoggies were huffing and puffing. What happened to their conditioning?
I agree, with all the tv time-outs, there is absolutely no reason for any of these guys to get winded. Shucks, one time today we came out of a time-out, went down the court one time and bingo, there was another time-out. Hard to get tired in that kind of scenerio.

jackel1h

Conditioning..................

The HOGS ran out of gas way before the game ended.
If your not the lead dog........The view never changes.

TR1

HogsRule

don't forget lapses in defense. tonight UK got at least 3 buckets down the stretch (one was a 3) that won the game. a 3 pointer from the corner on an out of bounds play that put them up by 4 - Beverly lost his man and couldn't get over to him in time and 2 break aways off of missed shots that we didn't get back for. Then there were at least 2 buckets that we had rebounds in our hands or forgot to box out and UK got them back and scored an easy tip in or kicked for a shot ( at least one was a 3) amazingly after most of them we still trimmed the lead.

I would say the lapses and sloppy play not just from point guards, but everyone were the reason for the losses.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

Newhopehog

It pg...when o was in the game everyone was standing around while he dribbled waiting for turn over...then i comes welch and everyone starts moving and we start scoring...today 18 to and running out of gas killed us...tubby was subing 5 at a time..Hill played until he was dragging....Beverly and Welch will be good but right now are turning the ball over to many times...We should have went with the two of them earlier....jmo...

BaldHeadedHippy

"I'm no better than the next man, I only try like hell to be." (G. Smith/Me the Baldheadedhippy)

tenhog

It seems that everyone is saying the same thing.  We need a coach with fire, intensity, killer instinct. Our coach is just a nice guy that can recruit fairly well.

g.lynn

Fundamentals....

The Hogs run a 5th/6th grade level offense trying to rub the 2 and 3 positions around the 4 and 5 while the PG bounces the ball.  Thats 101 pee-wee basketball.

Their offense against a zone is the basic 3/2 with no movement or penetration (passing/dribbling) the ball to the free throw line; where good teams attack a zone.

The Hogs can't defend the pick-and-roll, flat-screen, etc., because they don't run themselves.

On defense they loose sight and position on the ball and get caught standing flat-footed.

There's more, but ......

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

Redbug

I agree with most of the post....Stansbury's gotta be laughing his arse off...NO COACH would ever let a SEC starter level PG transfer to a team in the same division without making him sit 2 years....

We need a TOUGH, HIGH BASKETBALL IQ PG...a Corey Beck Clone...not flashy...not extremely fast or quick...BUT COULD GET TO WHEREVER HE WANTED TO ON THE COURT...remember on the road even with all that talent we hardly ever beat Bama or MSU always lost the close ones...even when the talent went cold...Beck could get to the bucket , get an offensive rebound...GET TO THE FREE THROW LINE...played his arse off on defense...was one TOUGH SOB..probably whip everyone else ass on the team...betcha even Corliss wouldn't want to face him in the alley out back ;)

A couple of power forwards that could GO AFTER and HANG ON TO rebounds to replace Townes and Hunter

Beverly is a STUD...seems to be the only one taking losing personally sometimes...alot of the other players are nice guys and seem to get TIMID and STAND AROUND AND WATCH when the pressure gets turned up...that'll just feed itself into more turnovers and mistakes...blood in the water...shark feeding frenzy by the opponent...it spells doom...

HairyHog

ICEman

The team needs to adopt the fan's personality.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

pigger10

A few of my thoughts on what we need, first of all a coach that runs the "motion" with actual motion. I think we need some guard depth, we need beverley to attack the rim like he did yesterday, and who ever the other guard is. A zone buster, someone who can step back and make that 3. And last hill to continue playing like he has been, when he attacks the rim he is very hard to defend. thats all

Ridgerunnerpiggie

A coach that has the guts to not allow players to walk off the court during practice and games!  A coach that has the guts to run his players when they don't contribute with heart and soul in games they should have won! Simply, a good coach!