Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Part II: Kentucky Dissolves Arkansas Magic; Rivalry Takes New Turn.

Started by Bomis Hawg, February 02, 2007, 10:02:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bomis Hawg

Part I
Part III

....Arkansas left everything in Seattle.  After finishing another final four trip, Arkansas would say good-bye to eight seniors as well as Scotty Thurman and All-American Corliss Williamson -- who both declared for the NBA Draft.  But, as we would soon find out, the magic between the two schools despite the departing of great coaches and players...

After two final four appearances, Arkansas again had to find a way to reload.  Enter a trio of Razorbacks who would finish with a combined 4487 career points.  The trio would consist of a sharp-shooting guard from Everett (Pat Bradley), Massachusetts, a fiery point guard from the Bronx (Kareem Reid), and a Kansas City Central dominating forward (Derek Hood). 

The new trio couldn't manage a victory in their first attempt in Rupp Arena, losing by 15 after trailing by only 3 at halftime.  They would meet again later in the season in the quarterfinals of the SEC tournament.  It would end a 95-75 thumping at the hands of the Wildcats.  Despite the 20-point loss, Arkansas would make an unexpected run to the Sweet Sixteen – Hogs would lose to Massachusetts.

There would be a new coach in this rivalry:  Orlando "Tubby" Smith.  His first taste would be in the 1998 match-up.  He would find himself in a thriller against the new look Hogs.  This time, it was the first and still the only overtime game between the two teams.  Kentucky got a tip-in with a few seconds left to force the extra period.  Kentucky owned the overtime period.  But, before fouling out, Pat Bradley hit two three-pointers to cut it close.  Tarik Wallace still had a shot to tie the game on a buzzer-beating three attempt.  Kentucky dominated the game the next year, leading by no less than 20 points in the second half.  Hogs lost 99-74, third worst loss in Nolan Richardson's era to that date.

It had been a while since Arkansas added a notch another win in their rivalry against Kentucky.  The senior group that included Derek Hood, Pat Bradley, and Kareem had a 6-game losing streak against Kentucky heading into the 1999 match-up.  Nolan Richardson, who was disappointed in their leadership, yanked them from the line-up two weeks prior.  After inserting them back in, they responded – and helped the Hogs upend the Wildcats.  "Our seniors talked about this game all week," Richardson said. "I told them, 'This is your team,' and they came out fighting. This is one of the great wins for our program."  Hogs never trailed in the second half and finished with a 74-70 win.  "We're at a crossroads," Richardson said. "We could go down one road we don't want to go down or we could down the one we want. The road led through Kentucky. Now we're on the right road."

Later that year, of course, in the finals of the SEC Tournament, Arkansas put up a good fight.  But, like so many times in the past, they fell short as Tayshaun Prince and Scott Padgett found a way to beat Arkansas.  But, for Arkansas to get past the magic of Kentucky, they would need a magical run of their own.  They got one in 2000.

The Hogs nearly knocked off Kentucky earlier in that year, but they needed to four games in four days to reach the NCAA Tournament.  Arkansas not only beat Kentucky, they dominated them – leading the entire way and as many as 21 points.  It was a then the worse loss in a SEC Tournament game for Kentucky, which was bested by Florida beating them a couple of years ago.  Another freshman led the Hogs scoring against Kentucky – this time it was a curly haired Blake Eddins with 12. 

"I thought I saw the first half of the best basketball I've seen in my years," said Arkansas Coach Nolan Richardson, whose Razorbacks led 36-22 at halftime. "As I told our coaches, that looked like the teams we used to coach.  "Our defense was just unbelievable. We smothered folks."  Richardson said he didn't considering the game an upset.  "We know we played good enough basketball in the last month that we possibly could have won two or three of those games [against nationally-ranked teams]," Richardson said.

Going into the 2001 game, Arkansas was hurting.  They needed a victory, a major one, to help send them into the NCAA tournament.  It seemed, though, Arkansas couldn't find an answer in the first half.  Typical Arkansas, they took a deficit into the second half (47-41, this time) and primed it into a 27-15 over the next seven and a half minutes to reclaim the lead.  After keeping Kentucky at bay for most of the game, Jannero Pargo hit a shot that sealed the deal.  A three-pointer in the face of Keith Bogans with just over a minute remaining was all it took. "I was yelling, `Don't shoot!'" said Arkansas coach Nolan Richardson. "I didn't want it. Then I yelled, 'Good shot.' That one there was the dagger."  Arkansas took the win, along with a big win over Auburn, and vaulted into the Big Dance.  "There's no guarantees in the SEC," Erik Daniels said, "we are going to have to go out there and play tough."

Arkansas lost the 2002 game to Kentucky.  But, it was not without controversy.  The infamous speech that ultimately cost Nolan Richardson's his job occurred after this game, saying that if they wanted his job now just to pay him.  Even at .500, Arkansas' game with Kentucky still managed to be apart of the history rivalry.

Arkansas would have to nearly start from scratch to build their Razorback Empire.  Now, the Stan Heath era at Arkansas beins.

SuperHog

I'd give anything to have Reid, Bradley, & Hood now.  At the time, I knew they were a downgrade from Corliss, Scotty, and Co. but they would be superstars on this current team.
Where is the outrage over the lack of an investigation by the UA into harassment of a student-athlete by a booster with EXTREMELY close personal ties to the head coach and his brother?  Instead we pay the brother $175K to act like a coach, be closely involved with the team, and occupy the same office even though he RESIGNED for "health" reasons.

fourthcrusade

Excellent!  A must read... takes me back...  the 96-01 years were great but also not as frustrating as they should have been...

I remember bowing out of the tourney in the first round, and losing to g'town, and miami, and not making it in 02, but with each loss i was like "hey, we won the title in 94 -- bowing out early in 98 ain't so bad."

kinda gives you perspective you know, the last 6 years of nolan = no sweet 16s, but it didnt seem to matter cause we were still riding the wave of the NC.     the last 3 years of nolan = no NCAAT wins, but again i thought "man we are young and have some great recruits coming in"

looking back, the record from 96 to 02 isn't worth writig home about, but we as fans took it because hey we won the NC a few years ago!

and to the guy that said reid and bradley would be superstars on this team?  you're dreaming.

hood is having a nice career in the NBDL, but cmon, hill-beverley-weems(with development)-townes(if he gets a good attitude, last nbadraft had him going 2nd round 07 draft, higher for 08)  will play in the nba someday.   you think freshman pat bradley > bev?

hood as a rebounder > hill by light years... but maybe not anymore.

anyway, im off topic..

REQUIRED READING! EXCELLENT AGAIN!

Bomis Hawg

I think Bradley could shot the lights out.  I think he might be the best shooter, aside from Thurman, in a long time.  No doubt the best free throw shooter in Arkansas history.  He was ice at the line.  Beverley is really good at the charity stripe.

The line-up of Ervin, Beverley, Weems, Townes/Thomas, and Hill is a fairly good one.  A far cry from the early-to-mid 90s, but it isn't that far from the Reid; Bradley; Hood era.  Speaking of Hood, I take offense to him being called a bust.  One of 2 1000 rebounders, Miller was the other (both had 1000 points).  He averaged a double-double his Senior year -- one of three in school history (Deal Tolson has the other two).

The post-National Title era was fun.  I enjoyed those guys, you could truly root for them.  Was a big fan of Tarik Wallace and Nick Davis.  Thing is, they did well their frosh year.  In normal circumstances, you would've been disappointed in the NIT Final Four, but it was a good run when you exclude the guys who left or was forced to leave after the 1996 season.

Tarik Wallace and Chris Walker = two very underrated players.  Creep went from walk-on to team leader 0n the 2000 SECT Champion team.  His first shot (vs. Memphis) after being cleared to play, was a made trey.

Hollywood_HOGan

some people forget just how good Reid ,Bradley, and Hood were.

D. HOod averaged a double double in his last year.

Reid would be our starting PG no doubt. Ervin could finish better but Reid didnt turn the ball over very often.

Bradley also would be an excellent addition to this team. He could absolutley shoot the lights out. He once scored 32 points on Missouri.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on February 02, 2007, 12:05:17 pm
I think Bradley could shot the lights out.  I think he might be the best shooter, aside from Thurman, in a long time.  No doubt the best free throw shooter in Arkansas history.  He was ice at the line.  Beverley is really good at the charity stripe.

The line-up of Ervin, Beverley, Weems, Townes/Thomas, and Hill is a fairly good one.  A far cry from the early-to-mid 90s, but it isn't that far from the Reid; Bradley; Hood era.  Speaking of Hood, I take offense to him being called a bust.  One of 2 1000 rebounders, Miller was the other (both had 1000 points).  He averaged a double-double his Senior year -- one of three in school history (Deal Tolson has the other two).

The post-National Title era was fun.  I enjoyed those guys, you could truly root for them.  Was a big fan of Tarik Wallace and Nick Davis.  Thing is, they did well their frosh year.  In normal circumstances, you would've been disappointed in the NIT Final Four, but it was a good run when you exclude the guys who left or was forced to leave after the 1996 season.

Tarik Wallace and Chris Walker = two very underrated players.  Creep went from walk-on to team leader 0n the 2000 SECT Champion team.  His first shot (vs. Memphis) after being cleared to play, was a made trey.

D Hood was an animal in the 99 SECT run.

Had 17 pts and 17 rebounds in the OT victory over Miss St.

Bomis Hawg

Bradley did pretty well against Kentucky in 7 games.  He averaged 13.9 ppg and shot 19/47 on 3pt (40.4%), an average of 2.7 made threes per game.  Shot 16/17 on FTs in those games.

hogfankb

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 02, 2007, 03:21:51 pm
some people forget just how good Reid ,Bradley, and Hood were.

D. HOod averaged a double double in his last year.

Reid would be our starting PG no doubt. Ervin could finish better but Reid didnt turn the ball over very often.

Bradley also would be an excellent addition to this team. He could absolutley shoot the lights out. He once scored 32 points on Missouri.

I think Reid and Ervin are a lot alike. It always seemed like Reid was out of control to me. Super quick with good handles but made a lot of poor decisions. Him and Ervin are about the same shooting wise but Ervin doesn't take as many jump shots as I remember reid taking. I always thought we could have done better than him at PG.

jbcarol

Bomis Hawg.  Another great read!!! Slight correction.  The 1995 SEC Tournament Championship game, March 12 in the Georgia Dome, was an infamous overtime game with Kentucky winning 95-93.
I think folks who are separated from the rivalry like the regular SEC broadcasters consider this as arguably the greatest game in SEC basketball history.  Mrs. JB was in my face when the Hogs were up 18 or 19 points in regulation.  KY Junior Rod Rhodes was reduced to tears after missing two critical free throws late.  Rick Pitino, the NBA guy he was, tried to "sell Rod" as a lottery pick to the NBA GM's after the season.  When that wasn't working he essentially "put him on waivers" sending off to USC (Damian Wm's school) as a transfer and using the freed scholarship to bring in Ron Mercer.
No scruples but turned out to be a great move for Kentucky.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Here's what the Lexington press is saying about Steven Hill (they like what they see and a great story) and Charles Thomas (Questionable?  Really?).  A little Chris Lofton update for fun (looking past the Hawgs again are they).

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/16603800.htm
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Bomis Hawg,

We know the problems Arkansas is having this year and what is coming next.

Today I watched Kentucky fail to beat the shot clock twice in the second half and did not make even a half-hearted attempt to get the ball to Randolph Morris.

I am not a bandwagon guy.  I am a 30+ year type of fan.

I don't have a team anymore.

Bomis Hawg

I think Heath lost his team.  Not sure what is happening with Kentucky.  Tubby just lost his team, or the players are playing with ego instead of talent.

I think better days are coming for the Hoop Hogs.  I think when Arkansas and Kentucky are winning their divisions and playing two great games every year, the SEC seems to get more respect.  I hope both teams turn it around next year.

Listening to Nashville sports radio, some called in and said it was time for Tubby to go.  Some said Randolph Morris might be "addition by subtraction" if/when he is gone.