Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan Richardson court at Bud Walton. Support it?

Started by cohog, January 30, 2007, 12:17:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

towneofbeverlyhills

if you support this then u have been in space or are losing your minds,nolan hurt a lot of people,not to sound like a snob,but if you're close to the program then you know that will never happen.

towneofbeverlyhills

some of you guys are waaaay outta touch...so far removed from the situation at uark that an opinion on it is unfair to anyone actually involvd,classic outside looking in gossip about stuff you really don't know about

N HOG

Quote from: towneofbeverlyhills on January 30, 2007, 06:28:18 pm
some of you guys are waaaay outta touch...so far removed from the situation at uark that an opinion on it is unfair to anyone actually involvd,classic outside looking in gossip about stuff you really don't know about

Do you think Frank could graphically explain it to us who are "outta touch" without using the N word?

huntsducks

Who else saw Nolan today on Razorback Nation.....he was lookin pretty old! The white hair/mustache just didn't look like him. I have a picture of him from about '88 and he was pretty buff!
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 AM
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

savimbi2002

I would support it. But NR will never apologize for his remarks that hurt the program. It was such a shame that his huge ego would not allow the UofA to honor the 94 team and coaches. Nolan, with his comments, brought it all on himself. Yes, he won a national championship, but his harsh words on national TV were too much. He deserved to be fired.

rupert

No way should the court or anything at the U of A be named after Nolan...he cares nothing about the U of A ,  his actions after he won the National Championship speak much louder than the success he had for awhile as the coach...maybe if there is ever a donkey basketball court at the U of A we could name that after him...

Grizzlehog

Although I greatly appreciate what he did for the program, his all-out style of defense, and the national championship, I wouldn't name the court after him.  He basically phoned it in his last three or four years and asked to be let go.  I can forgive him his tantrums and welcome him back into the fold as a man, but no naming rights.  The captain of the Titanic was by most standards a top of the line sailor, but you'll find no grand statues to his memory.  It is as important how you leave a program as how you ran it, if immortality is your desire.

ghog23

No, I would not support it, Nolan does not care about anyone but Nolan!
GHOG23

Fayetnam

You know, I now see a part of Nolan I never saw before. Heck, we will never know exaclty what crap he took from Frank! Nolan brought more to the U of A than Houston ever did, but was not Frank's "chosen child"! Nolan was a free thinker and didn't run to Frank and ask for advise or say "what do we do now coach". Houston played his only card, FRANK! Nolan brought  three final fours, a national runner up and a national title to the U of A. What did Nutt bring? NOTTA! GILCHO! BS! That's about it guys, H talks a good deal, but when it comes to putting up, he cannot do it. Name the damn building after Nolan. He put up with "THE WHITE HAIRED DEVIL" and probably deserves more!

budcampbellfan

Quote from: Fayetnam on January 30, 2007, 07:19:14 pm
You know, I now see a part of Nolan I never saw before. Heck, we will never know exaclty what crap he took from Frank! Nolan brought more to the U of A than Houston ever did, but was not Frank's "chosen child"! Nolan was a free thinker and didn't run to Frank and ask for advise or say "what do we do now coach". Houston played his only card, FRANK! Nolan brought  three final fours, a national runner up and a national title to the U of A. What did Nutt bring? NOTTA! GILCHO! BS! That's about it guys, H talks a good deal, but when it comes to putting up, he cannot do it. Name the damn building after Nolan. He put up with "THE WHITE HAIRED DEVIL" and probably deserves more!
I sympathize with Nolan on that but he let Broyles get to him.  I have been there myself with bosses.  It's difficult but you can't just give up and start publicly exploding and trying to destroy yourself and everything and everyone you're associated with.  Sometime you just have to leave like Malzahn and Mustain.  Unless you can PROVE something publicly, which he apparently could not.  That is usually the case in my experience.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

holtzhog

rebelhogdog

Hell no I wouldn't support it that, not after all the stuff he did and said......Who's the white haired devel now Nolan I don't even like Frank anymore either.

Tone

jchill

Quote from: HawgWyld on January 30, 2007, 12:28:52 am
Quote from: TomasPistola on January 30, 2007, 12:26:58 am
I think we should build a statue of him out front...
I could see it now. A huge statue of Nolan Richardson flipping his middle finger directly at the Broyles Center. Someone ought to start a fund...

ROFL!!!!!

Blue35

No, not enough time has passed.  Too many harsh words and hard feelings. He called us turds, aholes and rednecks.  Those words sill sting.

Tone

Quote from: Blue35 on January 30, 2007, 08:11:08 pm
  No, not enough time has passed.  Too many harsh words and hard feelings. He called us turds, aholes and rednecks.  Those words sill sting.

I resemble that remark.  All kidding aside, how is JFB and the athletic dept treating the fans now?  They are treating fans as if they are stupid rednecks with much more contempt than anything that came out of Nolan's mouth.
They feel as if the fans would believe anything they say, they spin the issue to favor themselves.  They have a mouthpiece like Chuck Barrett push the talking points of the program.

budcampbellfan

"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

dahmer

Nolan is a prophet.  Everything he said about the UofA was true.  Rick Schaeffer said so in defense of HDN and his recruiting class among other excuses.  Almost word for word except the part about HDN being bigger than the UofA.

Name it and build the statue.  Long overdue.  Nolan made more racist comments when he was winning, no one said sheize.  "I didnt come over on that ship..."  member dat?  We was a winnin den boy.  Dat Nolan sho nuff is a character...

More stupid photoshop pix of Dale!

jkelly107

ndhog

I say no because other schools already do it, OKState and Duke, are the first two that come to mind.  I don't even like the name Bud Walton, although he was very generous in donating the money, however, I wish they had just kept the name Barnhill.  Call me old fashioned but anything other than that big hog in the middle of the court is blaspemy.  I appreciate what Nolan did as HC, but I don't believe he deserves the court to be named after him.  What if another coach (after Stan) wins a NC?  Will we have to name the court after him too?  I can see it now, "Welcome to Bud Walton Arena and Nolan Richardson/(coach after Stan Heath) Court." 

loserhog3-7

There's a reason it has a name already. You give a coach that voiced his displeasure against the UA on national T.V. then name something after him is pretty stupid to me. Doing that would send the wrong message.

dahmer

UofA send a wrong message in front of a national audience.  Nooooooooo!!!!!  I call BS.
More stupid photoshop pix of Dale!

HawgWyld

January 31, 2007, 12:29:39 am #172 Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 12:34:13 am by HawgWyld
Quote from: Oliverhogman on January 30, 2007, 05:46:21 am
Hawgwyld,

Just think if someone could come up wth a shirt with the statue of Nolan flipping off the Broyles center.  They would be rich overnight.  Maybe some artist out there could put it in a painting.  I would order a couple of them.

For calling the fans redneck.  BIG FREAKING DEAL.  Is that the worse name you have ever been called?  I thought Nutt had thin skin.

Heck IF Nutt would win a NC I would even let him call me a "Dork".  But we saw this past year that will never happen.

I'd be careful about such a tee shirt design -- the UA might boldly threaten legal action for one weasel reason or another (remember the hubbub over the "Nutt" tee shirts last season?)

I agree that Richardson calling fans "rednecks" was no big deal. Hell, he spent the first couple of seasons hearing Razorbacks fans yell "N-----!" at him while coaching at Barnhill. Then, of course, Frank brings in a goof-off yokel we all know as Houston Nutt. Frank's boy, Nutt, screws around and gets raises while the only Arkansas coach with an uncontested national championship in a major sport catches hell from Broyles. It's understandable he might have harbored some resentment. Did he go to far with it when he started running down Arkansas and hurting recruiting? Perhaps, but that's another issue entirely.

Box Swine

HawgWyld

Quote from: hogman64 on January 30, 2007, 08:32:14 am
Are you people posting about Naming the  court after Nolan in pre-school or just have memory problems..........I wouldnt be for naming the Fayetteville junk yard after Nolan.......just because everyone is down on Frank now  all of sudden we need to start loving the guy that tried to bring down the u of A thru a malicious , egotistical, frivolous lawsuit........I havent forgotten his BULL CRAP and I never will.......
Why not? Hell, we've got plenty of fans fawning over a head football coach who is effectively ruining the football program through malicious, egotistical and frivolous coaching...

HawgWyld

Quote from: ballhog24 on January 30, 2007, 10:04:04 am
One NC? Is that all it takes to get a court named after you?
wow, talk about low standards.
Why not? A contested NC in football gets a whole darned building named after you...

HawgWyld

Quote from: LunaticRed on January 30, 2007, 10:45:13 am
%@ck Frank
Now, there's an idea. "Welcome to the %@ck Frank Court at Bud Walton Arena..."

dhornjr1

QuoteDid it offend you when he used the word redneck?  It didn't me, and I'm white, because I'm not racist or a redneck.  Maybe it offended you because you are.  I don't know. 

That's exactly what I think.

If you're not a racist or a redneck, then you have nothing to be offended about.

He told Wally Hall that he was a redneck and Hall responded that Nolan had called all fans "redneck sob's". Actually, he just called Wally that.

This is an excerpt from the final report on the lawsuit

"The principal evidence meriting a mixed-motive analysis was an incident that occurred at a sports banquet in February 2000, some two years before Richardson's ultimate termination. On February 17, Richardson contacted Wally Hall, a sports writer, to complain about an article Hall had written that was critical of Richardson's son. In the course of the conversation, Richardson called Hall a "redneck." Hall wrote an article on February 18 about the exchange, and said Richardson had called Razorback fans "redneck SOB's." Fans from east Arkansas called Jim Lindsey, a former member of the Board of Trustees, complaining about Richardson's comment. Lindsey contacted Broyles and told him he thought the statement justified Richardson being fired. The night of February 18, Broyles attended a sports banquet and sat next to members of the media. Broyles asked Clay Henry, a sports columnist, if he would write a column equating Richardson's calling white people "rednecks" with a white person calling Richardson a "ni**er." Henry told Broyles he wanted to avoid controversy. Henry later told Richardson about the conversation. At trial, Henry testified that Broyles was quoting someone else when he used the word "ni**er," and that it was not a direct statement from Broyles. The district court credited the testimony of Paul Eels, also seated next to Broyles at the banquet, who said that Broyles was not quoting someone else, but the court did not find the distinction noteworthy, finding the fact that Broyles solicited the article at all the important evidence.

The district court found that Broyles' statement was 'direct evidence of discrimination and is sufficient to require a mixed motive analysis of any employment decisions made by Broyles before October 2000 . . . .'"

http://dailyheadlines.uark.edu/images/RichardsonAppeal.pdf

Wolfhound05

Quote from: cohog on January 30, 2007, 12:17:33 am
How many would support naming the court at Bud Walton after Nolan?  What would it take?  Would Nolan need to apologize to the fans first?

That is like saying we need to rename Razorback Stadium after Houston Nutt.  Get real...seriously.

HawgWyld

Quote from: Wolfhound05 on January 31, 2007, 12:56:39 am
How many would support naming the court at Bud Walton after Nolan?  What would it take?  Would Nolan need to apologize to the fans first?

That is like saying we need to rename Razorback Stadium after Houston Nutt.  Get real...seriously.
Don't even suggest that. The way things are going, something impressive might be named after Nutt one day. My vote is for naming the "special education department" in the graduate education building after him.

dhornjr1

Quote from: HawgWyld on January 31, 2007, 01:06:03 am
Quote from: Wolfhound05 on January 31, 2007, 12:56:39 am

Don't even suggest that. The way things are going, something impressive might be named after Nutt one day. My vote is for naming the "special education department" in the graduate education building after him.

Maybe some of the short yellow buses that Little Rock Central uses could be renamed the Houston Nutt "Special" buses.

the donger

NO F-----G  WAY! Are you kidding?Not only did he do some serious damage to the University and the Athletic program, he made the state look terrible. And, I know, the current AD and HDN are doing the same damn thing. All of them are nothing but pieces of trash.
Nolan Richardson court :puke:

diehardrbackfan

January 31, 2007, 02:46:59 am #182 Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 12:41:44 am by diehardrbackfan

NuttinItUp

Quote from: N HOG on January 30, 2007, 12:26:05 am
I'm for it all the way -- the ONLY coach in the history of the University of Arkansas to win an UNDISPUTED NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in a major sport.

Track?

HawgWyld

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 31, 2007, 06:22:42 am
Quote from: N HOG on January 30, 2007, 12:26:05 am
I'm for it all the way -- the ONLY coach in the history of the University of Arkansas to win an UNDISPUTED NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in a major sport.

Track?
Yes, we all know the fans go absolutely wild over track. Maybe this will work better. "Nolan Richardson is the ONLY coach in the history of the University of Arkansas to win an undisputed national championship in a revenue-producing sport that people actually follow."

There's no denying that the UA track team has achieved greatness. However, track is not a major sport simply because most fans -- for better or worse -- really don't give a damn about it.

LilRounDevil

No. And all this naming stuff has gotten out of hand anyway.  If people can't do something for the good of all without getting getting their name in 3 foot tall letters with accent lighting then don't do something "good."

WILL CLINTON

January 31, 2007, 09:50:50 am #186 Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 10:48:03 am by dubyacee
Quote from: LilRounDevil on January 31, 2007, 08:27:40 am
No. And all this naming stuff has gotten out of hand anyway.  If people can't do something for the good of all without getting getting their name in 3 foot tall letters with accent lighting then don't do something "good."

Last time I checked, Nolan hasn't asked for the court to be named after him.

I don't understand all you people who justify saying "no" to this by stating that Nolan "damaged the reputation of Arkansas, hurt the program, and doesn't care about Arkansas, only Nolan."  This is laughable with the state of affairs going on in Fayetteville right now. Houston is only concerned about Houston, is hurting the program at an alarming rate, and has damaged teh reputation to the point that we will NEVER get another highly ranked QB or WR to come to this school.  Frank is laughing in all our faces for continuing to pour money into a program who isn't even dedicated to winning.  I would rather have Nolan up there calling me a redneck, cracker, white boy, than having someone play nice to my face, and laugh behind my back any day of the week. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

HoustonHawg

Absolutely, I would support it.  Nolan needs not apologize for anything.

No1Hog27

I would definitely support this.  It's well overdue.

HawgAdvocate

Honestly, Nolan has a good heart, is a man of principle, and did wonders for the University of Arkansas basketball program.

The good heavily outweighs the bad. His mouth got him in trouble. And the reason he was so upset stems from the same Frank Broyles who we all know to be a lying, stubborn, decrepid POS.

Sure, Nolan was getting older, was tired of losing and being out-cheated in recruiting, was probably tired of dealing with all the nonsense that goes with losing in a small, but highly demanding state atmosphere that expected him to say all the right things while not delivering the goods.

I think once Frank leaves, it would do wonders for our program to get him back involved in some aspect. He's still respected around the nation for his history as a coach and for what he's managed to accomplish.

Having him proudly endorsing our program in a positive light can only help. I'm sure Coach heath would love to have Nolan on his side.

Nolan's issues were with Frank. More than half the fans can agree with him that Frank has done far to many wrong over the past few years.

It's hypocritical for us to hate on Nolan when his issues with Frank are alot like the ones we fans are having with him.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

budcampbellfan

Yes, lets honor Nolan because he is POSSIBLY a lesser evil than Broyles and Nutt.  That make lots of sense. 

I say "possibly" because we really do not know what havoc Nolan could really have done because he was not given complete opportunity but was cut short.

BumpieJohnson

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 31, 2007, 11:35:36 am
Honestly, Nolan has a good heart, is a man of principle, and did wonders for the University of Arkansas basketball program.

The good heavily outweighs the bad. His mouth got him in trouble. And the reason he was so upset stems from the same Frank Broyles who we all know to be a lying, stubborn, decrepid POS.

Sure, Nolan was getting older, was tired of losing and being out-cheated in recruiting, was probably tired of dealing with all the nonsense that goes with losing in a small, but highly demanding state atmosphere that expected him to say all the right things while not delivering the goods.

I think once Frank leaves, it would do wonders for our program to get him back involved in some aspect. He's still respected around the nation for his history as a coach and for what he's managed to accomplish.

Having him proudly endorsing our program in a positive light can only help. I'm sure Coach heath would love to have Nolan on his side.

Nolan's issues were with Frank. More than half the fans can agree with him that Frank has done far to many wrong over the past few years.

It's hypocritical for us to hate on Nolan when his issues with Frank are alot like the ones we fans are having with him.

Church (thats the truth)

budcampbellfan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 31, 2007, 11:35:36 am

Nobody has said they hate Nolan.  Just because we don't name something after him does not mean we hate him.  False accusation, false logic.

BadHog

Yes - and if it happens it will be against JFB's will and the fact that it will piss him off into eternity makes me smile.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

HawgAdvocate

Nobody has said they hate Nolan.  Just because we don't name something after him does not mean we hate him.  False accusation, false logic.

A few people have said they hate Nolan. Many want nothing to do with him due to his anger directed at Frank. Many have taken it personally when he called a solitary individual a redneck SOB. It's not false logic at all. And I never said we should name anything after him.

Your assumption is false logic. Calling him a lesser of two evils is false logic.

I said we should get him back involved with the program in some aspect. Let the honors take care of themselves. Donors and fundraising will take care of that.

Nolan is a man of principle. He's to honest. That's been his problem. At a time when we fans demand honesty from our coaches and AD leaders, we're persecuting Nolan for giving us what we wanted.

He wasn't going to beat Frank then. If all this were to happen today, instead of 2001, we'd look at Nolan a lot differently.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mountainhog

RedRiverHog

Never...

He can't control his mouth or hes prejudice....
Quote from: cosmodrum on December 23, 2011, 12:45:49 pm
Then I luuuuuvs the dick.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is free to combat it"  - Thomas Jefferson

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

budcampbellfan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 31, 2007, 12:09:50 pm

A few people have said they hate Nolan. Many want nothing to do with him due to his anger directed at Frank. Many have taken it personally when he called a solitary individual a redneck SOB. It's not false logic at all. And I never said we should name anything after him.

Your assumption is false logic. Calling him a lesser of two evils is false logic.

I said we should get him back involved with the program in some aspect. Let the honors take care of themselves. Donors and fundraising will take care of that.

Nolan is a man of principle. He's to honest. That's been his problem. At a time when we fans demand honesty from our coaches and AD leaders, we're persecuting Nolan for giving us what we wanted.

He wasn't going to beat Frank then. If all this were to happen today, instead of 2001, we'd look at Nolan a lot differently.
1.  The discussion is whether we should name the court after him.
2.  I did not assume anything.
3.  He called lots of people names: turds, etc.
4.  He did it all to himself by going public with the emotional rants and name calling.  We are not persecuting him.  
5.  I complain publicly about Broyles myself but he is not my authorized job superior.  He was Nolan's authorized job superior.  Nolan was under Broyles' authority.  Whether Broyles should be fired is another issue but until then he is the AD.
6.  Personally I like Nolan.  Would have no problem with honoring him for his NC and good years - after his public appology to the fans and university for the public rages he made.

mykidsdad

Quote from: Mister_BS on January 30, 2007, 03:18:45 am
lots of short memories on here. In his last five years before getting fired, his players didn't like him, many fans didn't like him and almost zero media members.

people forget how he shamelessly dogged Pargo -- the Hogs' best player -- in press conference after press conference, how he blamed the players for losses, and how he berated Arkansas' "redneck" fans.

short, short memories, people

the fired coach even turned on many of his best friends -- like Mike Nail -- because his arrogance ran amok.

if they build the fired coach a statue, it should be near the dog pen so the canines can piss on it like many of his former players would like to

it amazes me how a true Hog fan can now profess fondness for a coach who became a traitor to their program

Mike Nail turned on Nolan not the other way around. Mike is being handsomely paid by the UofA for this. Look at the facts. The NCAA came calling in 96 because of the administration. That killed our program. Frank started trying to fire Nolan in 99. That was 4 years and one NCAA investigation after an NCAA final appearance. There was and still is a very big double standard with regard to Nolan and Nutt. It is a fact. Perhaps not because of racism, but it is a fact nonetheless. Nolan knew this and attributed the disparity to racism. Your hatred clouds your judgement.

budcampbellfan

Quote from: mykidsdad on January 31, 2007, 01:00:47 pm
Quote from: Mister_BS on January 30, 2007, 03:18:45 am
lots of short memories on here. In his last five years before getting fired, his players didn't like him, many fans didn't like him and almost zero media members.

people forget how he shamelessly dogged Pargo -- the Hogs' best player -- in press conference after press conference, how he blamed the players for losses, and how he berated Arkansas' "redneck" fans.

short, short memories, people

the fired coach even turned on many of his best friends -- like Mike Nail -- because his arrogance ran amok.

if they build the fired coach a statue, it should be near the dog pen so the canines can piss on it like many of his former players would like to

it amazes me how a true Hog fan can now profess fondness for a coach who became a traitor to their program

Mike Nail turned on Nolan not the other way around. Mike is being handsomely paid by the UofA for this. Look at the facts. The NCAA came calling in 96 because of the administration. That killed our program. Frank started trying to fire Nolan in 99. That was 4 years and one NCAA investigation after an NCAA final appearance. There was and still is a very big double standard with regard to Nolan and Nutt. It is a fact. Perhaps not because of racism, but it is a fact nonetheless. Nolan knew this and attributed the disparity to racism. Your hatred clouds your judgement.

Interesting.  How did Nail turn on Nolan and what did the admin do to bring the NCAA down on us in 96?  I can't remember.  Thanks.