Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We just had the 6th BIGGEST ROAD WIN in Hog History! Congrats Hogs!

Started by fourthcrusade, January 27, 2007, 04:05:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

phoggy

Quote from: fourthcrusade on January 27, 2007, 05:23:47 pm
Quote from: phoggy on January 27, 2007, 05:22:41 pm
Quote from: fourthcrusade on January 27, 2007, 05:17:11 pm
Quote from: 98hogs on January 27, 2007, 05:15:29 pm
5th biggest?  Good grief, you must not have lived very long

prove me wrong.

read my signature line

are there any more i am leaving out?

I'm not trying to prove you wrong but what was Duke ranked when we beat them?

Again, I'm with ya. Damn proud of those Hogs today.

not really a road win -- tickets were allotted equally to UA & Duke & zona & florida.;.... yes it was in NC, but still

Do you remember what they were ranked?
Because of the climate of political correctness now pervading America, those of us in Arkansas will no longer be referred to as HILLBILLIES. We ask that you now refer to us as OZARK-AMERICANS.Thank you!....Now if you'll excuse me, I got possums to fry.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: phoggy on January 27, 2007, 05:26:37 pm
Quote from: fourthcrusade on January 27, 2007, 05:23:47 pm
Quote from: phoggy on January 27, 2007, 05:22:41 pm

prove me wrong.

read my signature line

I'm not trying to prove you wrong but what was Duke ranked when we beat them?

Again, I'm with ya. Damn proud of those Hogs today.

not really a road win -- tickets were allotted equally to UA & Duke & zona & florida.;.... yes it was in NC, but still

Do you remember what they were ranked?

Duke was rated in the 5-8 range in the polls.

HogsGranpa

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on January 27, 2007, 04:06:57 pm
Quote from: fourthcrusade on January 27, 2007, 04:05:25 pm
NO NEGATIVITY!  WE WON!  AT BAMA!  RPI BOOST!  TOURNEY BOOST!  COULD BE TIED FOR FIRST IN THE WEST!

Seriously, i thought bama was going to make that run right AFTER half... so they made it towards the end, so what? we WON! :):):)

NO disappointment!  Bama is #12 for a REASON!

AND WE JUST DID IT!  WOO PIG SOOOOIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Biggest road win in hog history? WTH?? I like heath and all and am glad we won but gah lee. We've won at Lexington against the great Uk teams and have beaten some MUCH better Bama and LSU teams on the road.

good win but....we should have won by about 50
What help the home team in those type runs, especially when the visiting team is pressing, is the no calls against the team. 

That charge call against Irwin was ridiculous, and Steven Hill was simply afraid to try to block shots against their big guy, because he knew the officials would call fouls, or goal tending.

And there, were a lot on no calls on Irwin and Beverly in the last 7 minutes, as they tried to break the press.

It just seems to be a "home court" advantage of "no calls" in the 2nd half, especially in close games.

chirohog

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 27, 2007, 04:15:20 pm
Quote from: fourthcrusade on January 27, 2007, 04:10:52 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on January 27, 2007, 04:09:51 pm
Quote from: fourthcrusade on January 27, 2007, 04:08:35 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on January 27, 2007, 04:08:13 pm
NO NEGATIVITY!  WE WON!  AT BAMA!  RPI BOOST!  TOURNEY BOOST!  COULD BE TIED FOR FIRST IN THE WEST!

BAMA'S RUN WAS EXPECTED!!!   Seriously, i thought bama was going to make that run right AFTER half... so they made it towards the end, so what? we WON! :):):)

What criteria did you use?
\

BIGGEST RANKED ROAD WINS IN RAZORBACK HISTORY
  #4 Kentucky - '94 (National champ year)
  #8 Kentucky - '92 (1st year in the SEC)
#10 Tennessee - '06 (last year, came from 14 down with 8 minutes to go)
#11 Texas - '79 (Moncrief's last year)
#12 Alabama - '07 (TODAY!!!)

What criteria did you use?

um, i don't get it... it's called the ap poll.

Oh, I see.

You made a statment that in the modern era of Razorback basketball (30+ years) we just saw the fifth-best road win based on ONE factor.

Not very comprehensive.

Judging from your first post, I expected to see the eight or nine separate elements on which you based your conclusion.

I'm not trying to be snide Wilson, but what 8 or 9 criteria would you use to qualify a great road win?  I really thought this was a must win game for the Hogs.  We were in a nose dive, and if we had lost today I'm afraid it would have been difficult to pull up.  This was a huge win for our guys.  It wasn't easy in the end, but I think our guys and our coaches can find PLENTY to improve upon with the way this game unfolded.  This is a great win to build upon.  I'm not sure I can come up with the 5 greatest road wins; but I can say with certainty that this was a great road win at a great time. 

heinekenhary

Well, last year(early in the season) Mike Nail and Rick were saying that they weren't worried about going on the road in the SEC b/c we had already won games in Hawaii and LITTLE ROCK!  Yes, to make their point, they considered LITTLE ROCK a road game.  So, by their standards, you better put the North Carolina win in Pine Bluff on that list, as well.
Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.
-Lou Brock

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: HogsGranpa on January 27, 2007, 05:29:50 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on January 27, 2007, 04:06:57 pm

Seriously, i thought bama was going to make that run right AFTER half... so they made it towards the end, so what? we WON! :):):)

Biggest road win in hog history? WTH?? I like heath and all and am glad we won but gah lee. We've won at Lexington against the great Uk teams and have beaten some MUCH better Bama and LSU teams on the road.

good win but....we should have won by about 50
What help the home team in those type runs, especially when the visiting team is pressing, is the no calls against the team. 

That charge call against Irwin was ridiculous, and Steven Hill was simply afraid to try to block shots against their big guy, because he knew the officials would call fouls, or goal tending.

And there, were a lot on no calls on Irwin and Beverly in the last 7 minutes, as they tried to break the press.

It just seems to be a "home court" advantage of "no calls" in the 2nd half, especially in close games.
Oh yeah Bama did get some big time homer calls in the 2nd half especially during their late game run.

The foul on hill where he was standing straight up was just unreal.

And i agree the charge call on Ervin was as a result of the official getting in with the crowd.

Thats a block all the way if its in BWA or anywhere else for that matter.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: heinekenhary on January 27, 2007, 05:32:08 pm
Well, last year(early in the season) Mike Nail and Rick were saying that they weren't worried about going on the road in the SEC b/c we had already won games in Hawaii and LITTLE ROCK!  Yes, to make their point, they considered LITTLE ROCK a road game.  So, by their standards, you better put the North Carolina win in Pine Bluff on that list, as well.

Nope, PB is "HOME" :)

heinekenhary

Quote from: fourthcrusade on January 27, 2007, 05:34:09 pm
Quote from: heinekenhary on January 27, 2007, 05:32:08 pm

Nope, PB is "HOME" :)

Don't make me get Rick and Mike on here.
Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.
-Lou Brock

BigoBoys

prove me wrong.

read my signature line

Maybe it is fuzzy math, but as I count down your sig line list I count 6 when I get to the Bama game.

dmac_iz_kin

I don't think we won per se, i think we were just ahead when time ran out.
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

kdogstew

BAMA'S RUN WAS EXPECTED - they are a top 15 team at home!!!   Seriously, i thought bama was going to make that run right AFTER half... so they made it towards the end, so what? we WON! :):):)

(edit to get 6th best instead of 5th... i forgot arizona 92-93, i thought that one was at ar)

I'm with you.  This is a big win for the program.  No complaints here. 

Stew

phoggy

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on January 27, 2007, 06:06:40 pm

I think that could be said for every game ever.
Because of the climate of political correctness now pervading America, those of us in Arkansas will no longer be referred to as HILLBILLIES. We ask that you now refer to us as OZARK-AMERICANS.Thank you!....Now if you'll excuse me, I got possums to fry.

hogsmaster

you guys are splitting hair.  We desperately needed any win because we had a conference record of 2-4 going into the game.  While our season can still go south, we had to win today it and it was on the road, where a SEC West team has failed to win one until today.  Its a big win because this team is good enough play anyone in the  country.  While we have struggled after two big home wins this year, maybe a good road win can jump start a solid run for the rest of the season.  Lets wait and see.

harmonyhog

Do not be lulled into a false sense of security with this team. Although Dr Jekyll was in the game today, Mr. Hyde could return for Kentucky. Stan needs to not let this team pat themselves on the back and enjoy this win too much, Kentucky could blow them out.

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: hogsmaster on January 27, 2007, 04:08:53 pm
who cares if it got close.  Arkansas finally won on the road.

Woohoo! I'm pumped now. I think that was the hump we needed to get over. Look out, now, SEC!
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: phoggy on January 27, 2007, 06:10:51 pm

technically, yes of course. but play along with me here. you know its one of those if there were about 2 minutes added to that clock bama would have pulled it out.
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

HawgWyld

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on January 27, 2007, 05:32:43 pm
Oh yeah Bama did get some big time homer calls in the 2nd half especially during their late game run.

The foul on hill where he was standing straight up was just unreal.

And i agree the charge call on Ervin was as a result of the official getting in with the crowd.

Thats a block all the way if its in BWA or anywhere else for that matter.
No kidding! And, that just makes the Razorbacks' win all the more impressive. Those Alabama boys pulled some of their typical thuggery, got away with it for the most part and the Hogs still won.

phoggy

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on January 27, 2007, 07:43:36 pm
Quote from: phoggy on January 27, 2007, 06:10:51 pm

technically, yes of course. but play along with me here. you know its one of those if there were about 2 minutes added to that clock bama would have pulled it out.

I see what you're sayin' but if there were 10 minutes added maybe bama gets ahead and maybe we we come back and win...who knows?  You know the old saying " IF a frog had wings...."

jamie72921

The first 2 wins at Rupp.

Ending Arizona's like 90 something game non conference home win streak in 93.

Beating the Shaq LSU team in Baton Rouge when Day dropped 40 on them.

The overtime Texas win that Nolan waled off the court in.

These are only some of the road wins that were bigger than this one today. Bama is reeling right now. I completely expected a win today given the funk they are in.
Bless your heart

fourthcrusade

Quote from: jamie72921 on January 27, 2007, 10:47:13 pm

These are only some of the road wins that were bigger than this one today. Bama is reeling right now. I completely expected a win today given the funk they are in.

RANKINGS, RANKINGS, RANKINGS... not personal emotion.

NuttinItUp

It was a big win, but I think you are overestimating the importance just a tad...

jamie72921

Quote from: fourthcrusade on January 27, 2007, 10:48:46 pm
Quote from: jamie72921 on January 27, 2007, 10:47:13 pm

RANKINGS, RANKINGS, RANKINGS... not personal emotion.

Rankings don't have jack to do with it.

It is YOUR personal emotion that has guided you to choose rankings as your criterion. Unfortunately CRITERIA are required to ACCURATELY make the claim that you have put out there.

This was not that big of a win in the grand scheme of Hog bball history. It wasn't even our biggest win at Bama if you want to get down to it. Beating the Mcdyess led Tide after losing Adebayo and Pate with Kareem Reid leading us in scoring probably was the signature win that allowed us to be the last team in the tournament that season was a bigger win at Bama than today's win.
Bless your heart

fourthcrusade

For the last #%@%@ing time

We have beaten 5 teams, in the multi-decade era of the AP basketball poll (yes, even the 70s and 60s), we have only beaten 5 teams RANKED HIGHER IN THE AP POLL ON THE ROAD THAN TODAY...
#4 Kentucky (nat'l champ)
#8 Kentucky (first year in sec)
#9 Arizona (corliss freshman)
#10 Tennessee (last year)
#11 Texas (moncrief)
#12 Alabama (TODAY)

I don't care if they fall to #22... i don't care what the SI.com power internet poll is... in terms of "opponent rank when we played them in road games", today was the sixth best

postseason? nope - doesn't count.  it's not in their HOME GYM, with an OPPOSING CROWDE, etc. etc... aka beating duke in 94 was the "best win ever" DUH, but it wasn't a ROAD WIN (equal ticket distribution, NOT duke's main arena, etc.)      sure there have been more that are EXCITING wins.  but for the last time, out of allllll of sutton, and nolan, and allllll the nba-player-loaded teams, and alllll those good teams in the 80s even, we have beaten 5 RANKED TEAMS ON THE ROAD BETTER than #12..... Today would be the 6th "hardest rank"

All you cranks with your 'go figure out the RPI' are buffoons - you know exactly what I mean and if you read the title (biggest road win) you would save yourself stupid comments like (pargo beat florida -- ROAD, not HOME), or (what about Final Fours -- ROAD, not NEUTRAL)

SIXTH BIGGEST RANKING OF AN OPPONENT ON THE ROAD WAS TAKEN DOWN TODAY

NIGHT.

jamie72921

Quote from: fourthcrusade on January 27, 2007, 11:04:02 pm

NIGHT.

That is a whole lot different than the title of this thread.

You finally made a point before you went to bed.
Bless your heart

NuttinItUp

fourthcrusade

Quote from: jamie72921 on January 27, 2007, 11:09:03 pm

NIGHT.

i dont understand why you hate hog ball success so much, as apparent in most of yours posts.

but oh well

adieu

jamie72921

Quote from: fourthcrusade on January 27, 2007, 11:11:01 pm
Quote from: jamie72921 on January 27, 2007, 11:09:03 pm

NIGHT.

i dont understand why you hate hog ball success so much, as apparent in most of yours posts.

but oh well

adieu

Where did I down today's win? You can't find where I have said "We won, but it wasn't good enough."

Why are you so defensive? Do you have a self esteem issue?
Bless your heart