Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Get Off Heath's Back

Started by AstroHawg, January 27, 2007, 04:05:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AstroHawg

He is starting to come into his own.  I know it's only one road game, but he is for real.  He's still a young coach and we should lock him up.

NuttinItUp

Only coach in the SEC west with a road win

RhodeHog

Quote from: AstroHawg on January 27, 2007, 04:05:16 pm
He is starting to come into his own.  I know it's only one road game, but he is for real.  He's still a young coach and we should lock him up.

The jury is still out, but it was a great win for the Hogs.  Congrats.

I would be for locking him up if the Washington County Jail was involved. Did you watch 4 of the previous 5 games?

AstroHawg

He's shown flashes of being a great coach.  Remember a handful of these guys really bring nothing to the table.  It's certainly a refreshing change from what we have heading the football team.

RunDMCforHeisman

I'm all for Stan Heath, but let's wait until the end of the season before we make any judgement.  I mean we crush Alabama lose to Georgia crush LSU give USC their first SEC win.  Only time will tell.  I hope the best for the Hogs and Stan Heath.

RhodeHog

I think he's a good recruiter and an average coach.  He is a young coach though, and I think he is learning on the job.  At least he's learning, not like a certain football coach we have.

Richard_white

SEC West Champions in Football.

First SEC West team to win a road game.

Everything is looking up.  :puke:

lookawayquick

Stan coached a fine game today.  Maybe he should have juggled the lineup more the last ten minutes, but he came away with a win!  That 7 minute brain freeze has got to be fixed.  GE again lost his direction in the late minutes.  He needs to go back to the film room.  Stan needs to find a way to get Townes started.   I guess McCurdy is never going to be a player, hope I am wrong.

Hawgvillain

I do see improvement out of Stan and that's the reason I like him a TON more than HDN. 

When the BB team loses - Stan always says "It starts with me - I've got to find ways to get better"

As opposed to being flawless like our football coach - "we're just one play away."

AstroHawg

Quote from: lookawayquick on January 27, 2007, 04:12:45 pm
Stan coached a fine game today.  Maybe he should have juggled the lineup more the last ten minutes, but he came away with a win!  That 7 minute brain freeze has got to be fixed.  GE again lost his direction in the late minutes.  He needs to go back to the film room.  Stan needs to find a way to get Townes started.   I guess McCurdy is never going to be a player, hope I am wrong.

If McCurdy doesn't belong out there, then he just doesn't belong out there.  He and McGowan are taking up two schollies.  Neither of them ever play.  Not sure what the deal is with Cyrus.  I like Townes but it seems like his attitude could be a prob.  Wish we could have gotten that kid from Junction City.

TRUHOG718

Stan coached a fine game today.  Maybe he should have juggled the lineup more the last ten minutes, but he came away with a win!  That 7 minute brain freeze has got to be fixed.  GE again lost his direction in the late minutes.  He needs to go back to the film room.  Stan needs to find a way to get Townes started.   I guess McCurdy is never going to be a player, hope I am wrong.

We knew they would make a run. it came the last 4 instead of the first four of the second half. As far as Mccurdy. Im sure he will be ok but he has to stay in front of his defender. we have not seen the best of him. its a tight race we have to go with our best players now.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

cessna8667

I mean, c'mon...  He's improved each year.  If he plateaus at 17-18 wins, that's one thing, but if he continue to improve, how can you complain about that?  Besides, he's having to make up for Modica and Brewer being gone, and I think he's done an excellent job.  If he wins 22 games, I'd be happy, 23 games and I'd be ecstatic. 

Cajun Hog

We just beat a average basketball team, who has not played very good basketball the last four weeks.  Yes, it's a road win and LORD knows Stan hasn't had many of those in five years.  You can't lose to the bottom feeders in the SEC and win it all.

lookawayquick

Patrick Beverly is a stud.  Steven Hill is a becoming a stud and Sonny Weems is not far off. A couple more players like Beverly will make Stan look like a genius.  Way to hang in there today Hogs.

Hogtropolis™

You might get your wish with Townes after that injury to Thomas.

Pignominious

Quote from: Hog1961 on January 27, 2007, 04:20:31 pm
We just beat a average basketball team, who has not played very good basketball the last four weeks.  Yes, it's a road win and LORD knows Stan hasn't had many of those in five years.  You can't lose to the bottom feeders in the SEC and win it all.

From here on out we have got to stop turning it over.  I don't know if its possible but it is killing us.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

TRUHOG718

Quote from: Hogtropolis on January 27, 2007, 04:23:53 pm
You might get your wish with Townes after that injury to Thomas.

It looked like his arm popped out the socket. If so he should be ok in a few days at the most

Cajun Hog

Quote from: BearclawHogs44 on January 27, 2007, 04:23:56 pm

Gary, scares me to death late in games and HAS to take carry of the ball.  Thank the Lord for Patrick and his FT shooting.

From here on out we have got to stop turning it over.  I don't know if its possible but it is killing us.

Biggus Piggus

I told you guys.  It's all about style of play.  Alabama and LSU intentionally try not to foul and consequently play defense that is more passive.  They try to make you shoot from outside and miss.  Arkansas is set up to beat that strategy.  The Hogs cannot handle ball pressure.  Everybody who plays defense with meaningful ball pressure has a chance of beating Arkansas.  Even the worst teams in the SEC.  If Bama and LSU simply used their quickness and size to body us up and disrupt the offense, they would stomp us.  This is a formula for 8-8, eke into the NCAAT, and lose in the first round to anybody who can play D.
[CENSORED]!

Hog_Beatz

If you haven't figured it out yet, we are beating the teams that we are excited about playing.  We are losing to the teams that we are supposed to beat.  It is real easy to get your team to play well when they are pumped up and excited.  It is not so easy against teams that they are supposed to beat.  When he gets this team ready to play and playing well consistently (against everyone from 0-18 teams to 18-0 teams) then I will readdress whether or not he is a good coach.

seqco

There is still a long ways to go before we start talking the Hogs in the NCAAs.

Hog_Beatz

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 27, 2007, 04:37:28 pm
I told you guys.  It's all about style of play.  Alabama and LSU intentionally try not to foul and consequently play defense that is more passive.  They try to make you shoot from outside and miss.  Arkansas is set up to beat that strategy.  The Hogs cannot handle ball pressure.  Everybody who plays defense with meaningful ball pressure has a chance of beating Arkansas.  Even the worst teams in the SEC.  If Bama and LSU simply used their quickness and size to body us up and disrupt the offense, they would stomp us.  This is a formula for 8-8, eke into the NCAAT, and lose in the first round to anybody who can play D.

We went 1-1 against the two best ball pressure teams in the country (Mizzou, So. Ill) So I'm not so sure about that.  I think it all boils down to coaching.

ballhogger14u

Heath is a good recruiter, be is not a very good game coach.  If it wasn't for the intentional foul we would have been in trouble, and Stan didn'tmake any adjustment until it was almost to late.  But we we did get the w and in the end thats what matters

superjw

great job coach --- WPS!!! :razorback:
The Law of Insanity is this - doing things the same way and expecting different results.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hog_Beatz on January 27, 2007, 04:42:58 pm

We went 1-1 against the two best ball pressure teams in the country (Mizzou, So. Ill) So I'm not so sure about that.  I think it all boils down to coaching.

Heath's teams always play better in November than they do later.  He doesn't seem to build on what they do in fall practice.  I don't get it.  The way they have played since November, they will lose to about anybody who plays disruptive D. 
[CENSORED]!

rasorback4life

It is still up in the air.  I have seen Heath grow as a coach.  I think he will be a very good coach.  I just don't think that we should of had to deal with a learning on the job coach.  We have way too good of a program for that.
Mediocrity Rules!!!

spudhog

where were you at when we lost to usc, tt, or ole piss. i like stan and i want him to do well. i wouldn't put him up with dean smith quite yet. bama is a sick team and should not be considered a great victory.

AstroHawg

Hell give them a break.  With the idiot we have running the football program, Heath is about the only hope some of us have.  Good luck to the baseball and track team, but neither of those things get me too excited.

dirtydoghog

Quote from: AstroHawg on January 27, 2007, 04:14:40 pm
Stan coached a fine game today.  Maybe he should have juggled the lineup more the last ten minutes, but he came away with a win!  That 7 minute brain freeze has got to be fixed.  GE again lost his direction in the late minutes.  He needs to go back to the film room.  Stan needs to find a way to get Townes started.   I guess McCurdy is never going to be a player, hope I am wrong.

If McCurdy doesn't belong out there, then he just doesn't belong out there.  He and McGowan are taking up two schollies.  Neither of them ever play.  Not sure what the deal is with Cyrus.  I like Townes but it seems like his attitude could be a prob.  Wish we could have gotten that kid from Junction City.

Cyrun had surgery on his knee I believe.  He should be redshirting but refuses because he couldn't travel with the team this year.

MHHog

Heath is definitely a respectable coach. It's nice to have one of those in the two major sports on campus. I'm anxious to see them go to Baton Rouge and play the Tigers. If we come out there with a W then we should be full speed ahead going into the last 2 weeks of the regular season.

oldbooniehog

I'll be a Stan rah-rah guy after his teams actually win an NCAA tournament game.

Let's see......how long ago was the last NCAA tournament win for Arkansas, anyway?

oldbooniehog

Kevin

please recruit a point guard and i will be happy
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

dirtydoghog

Quote from: spudhog on January 29, 2007, 01:52:23 pm
where were you at when we lost to usc, tt, or ole piss. i like stan and i want him to do well. i wouldn't put him up with dean smith quite yet. bama is a sick team and should not be considered a great victory.

I agree about Bama, but it was on the road so it's pretty impressive right now.  LSU isn't much better, we need to go for a sweep there as well. 

dbaileyway7

Quote from: Kevin on January 29, 2007, 01:53:37 pm
please recruit a point guard and i will be happy

I am giving him a {2YEAR PASS} to do that! LOL

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 29, 2007, 01:46:44 pm
Quote from: Hog_Beatz on January 27, 2007, 04:42:58 pm

Heath's teams always play better in November than they do later.  He doesn't seem to build on what they do in fall practice.  I don't get it.  The way they have played since November, they will lose to about anybody who plays disruptive D. 
I'm really looking forward to the Kentucky game. We'll see how well they handle the press on Saturday.
It should be a good measuring stick on where we are going into the last part of the season.
I don't remember Florida giving us much problem, but who knows what'll happen against an aggressive team.

hogsrmyfav36

Jury's still out on Heath.  He needs to get this team to pull out 1 or 2 more road wins in the SEC AND get at least 1 win in the tourney.

What both Alabama games plus our play against Florida and LSU have indicated to me is that this team has a lot of talent and can play with anybody on any given night.  They can also get beat by anybody.  Coaching will make the difference for this team down the stretch.  We'll see.
F&*!NG INTRANET

Kevin

yea, he had only had 5  years to get one
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HawgWyld

Quote from: RhodeHog on January 27, 2007, 04:06:32 pm

The jury is still out, but it was a great win for the Hogs.  Congrats.
Agreed. Heck, besides I like that Stan Heath feller. I still hope he does well.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Kevin on January 29, 2007, 02:02:56 pm
yea, he had only had 5  years to get one

Haven't you heard? Heath gets a permanent "pass" because he's more likable than Nolan Richardson was.

Who cares if his teams are the very definition of schizophrenia? At least he keeps his mouth shut, right?

spudhog

Quote from: dirtydoghog on January 29, 2007, 01:54:29 pm
Quote from: spudhog on January 29, 2007, 01:52:23 pm

I agree about Bama, but it was on the road so it's pretty impressive right now.  LSU isn't much better, we need to go for a sweep there as well. 
i concur. not complaining about the wins,just those dang losses that piss you off.

gduchar

Heath needs to define himself as a coach before he is going to be a true leader of the team. I've yet to see any particular strategy or ideal that he is trying to instill in his players.

Ross U (HDHF)

1337 posts!!! You're leet :)

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 29, 2007, 01:53:37 pm
I'll be a Stan rah-rah guy after his teams actually win an NCAA tournament game.

Let's see......how long ago was the last NCAA tournament win for Arkansas, anyway?

oldbooniehog

That's a fair stance, imo. 

kgr

Heath knows more basketball than HDN knows football. 

Two keys:  If Hill shows up and our point guard doesn't turn the ball over we win. 

Also, please spare me the "boring" basketball comments.  Winning isn't boring.  If he can accomplish these two things we are in the NCAA tournament.  We have some quality wins on neutral courts and the tournament is played on neutral courts.

He is a descent coach.  And after all according to J. Frank we aren't worthy of the best.

TRUHOG718

Ill say this again.  It took a while but HEath has the Hogs playing good bball. Aside from the turnovers we could be easily 17-4 and its only going to get better. Fire Heath and start from scratch is a bad idea. It will mean a few more years of rebuilding, and indecision by recruits. We lock up PG Jenirro Bush this year and we have the team we need to make that NCAA championship run in 2008.  WPS

HawgWyld

Quote from: dhornjr1 on January 29, 2007, 02:25:54 pm
Haven't you heard? Heath gets a permanent "pass" because he's more likable than Nolan Richardson was.
Nope. Stan Heath should be cut some slack so long as that goofy Nutt is employed by the UA. The Athletic Department can't exactly justify cutting Heath loose while letting Nuttin' get away his crap, can it?

Pigskin_Porker

Nope . . . Heath can't be fired as long as HDN gets his free pass . . .
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

NuttinItUp

kcstar

I  say give him 10 years to get us to the Sweet Sixteen (which is somewhat equivalent to getting to a BCS bowl game) since we have given HDN that long to get us into a BCS bowl game.