Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Hill possibly go pro after this year?

Started by TuckFexas, January 27, 2007, 03:30:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigchilling

I think a lot of nba teams will be willing to pick him but i dont think he will actually play in games, maybe ever, at least for a couple of years. He would be good in defensive situations but i dont think right now he can hang with any centers in the nba right now.
Y'all are staring at me like a dog that has just been shown a card trick.

Nashville Fan

Don't know. Most big guys don't get really good until they are 23-25 years old. There are a few freaks but... by the time Hill got his O going, he would be flirting with free agency. Big risk for a franchise to take a big man early that can't play like a forward in college. IMO
Pittman or Bust!

fourthcrusade

Yes he goes pro THIS SUMMER -- he said he wanted to go pro this summer (he said this before the year started) if he had a big year

now, with all the tyrus thomas like BUZZ around him, he DEFINITELY GOES PRO THIS YEAR!  we'd better get a tourney run in during 2007 because he is GONE for 2008!

BANK ON IT!

Footballref

For all you that are saying that he will not be going to the NBA must not live in the NWA.

Beacuse it is a know fact that the NBA Scouts like him and he will be drafted.

They say anyone that is 7 foot can play in the NBA they like his defense and say
they can develope the rest, they like his shot blocking skills.

You have to remember they have better coaches in the NBA and can develope a big man.

RhodeHog

Quote from: Footballref on January 28, 2007, 10:04:53 am

You have to remember they have better coaches in the NBA and can develop a big man.

Better player development than Stan?  No way.

trickyricky

Ok, somebody tell me 6 better college big men than him, he would benefit if he stayed but as a position player he will play a backup role on about any team in the NBA.  He can make 1 million bucks a year backing up Shaq, and giving him two 5-7 min. breaks a game. 

Topcat

Quote from: ChrisD on January 27, 2007, 09:31:18 pm
Where will he develop an offense better...UA or the NBA where they pay you to learn and expect you to be there everyday working on it?
Exactly, in 2+ years at AR his offensive arsenal is dunking the ball.

TRUHOG718

Hills stock will not rise high enough to be a lottery pick so I think it would be a bad decision for him to leave this year. Hes a smart guy so I think he will stay at Ark and work on improving his offensive game and have a better chance to be a higher pick next year.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

FBPLAYER65

The stupidity of some people on this board is unreal. He will never be a first rounder. I will bet any price. Never. No chance in hell. He will likely not be drafted at all.

TRUHOG718

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on January 28, 2007, 01:09:41 pm
The stupidity of some people on this board is unreal. He will never be a first rounder. I will bet any price. Never. No chance in hell. He will likely not be drafted at all.

I would take your money but ill just say this. when NBA scouts and ESPN analyst say your defenitely going pro. your going pro. first round.

TRUHOG718

and for the record. im not stupid. neither is anyone on this board except you for making that comment

FBPLAYER65

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on January 28, 2007, 01:12:30 pm

I would take your money but ill just say this. when NBA scouts and ESPN analyst say your defenitely going pro. your going pro. first round.
Name one analyst or one NBA scout who has said he is first round material. Name one. Like I said I will bet any price he never goes first round. When will the blind homerism stop?

HogLove

Kids, kids, kids...I'm just beside myself.  Whether you KNOW the game of basketball or not, you don't know Steven and you don't know what scouts have been telling him every day since his freshmen year (at Nike camp, and MJ camp).  They don't NEED NOR WANT him to score.  They also know that the way Stan is running the offense...he's not going to show what they want to see.  They've seen what they want to see at these camps and at practice.  He will resemble a Ben Wallace.  Education is important to him but he has always said that he can go back to finish.  He, although, is not planning on leaving after this year.  He's not inconsistent...he is just given different opportunities each game.  When he's not getting rebounds, he's blocking out either his player to guard or someone elses.  His scoring depends on the UofA guards, too.  So, these things really don't matter to the scouts because they're not stupid and they know what they want and what to look for....and they've found it regardless of what you may think.
Quote from: dhornjr1 on January 27, 2007, 08:38:57 pm
Steven Hill would be making a HUGE mistake if he turned pro this year.

TRUHOG718

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on January 28, 2007, 01:13:54 pm
Quote from: TRUHOG718 on January 28, 2007, 01:12:30 pm

Name one analyst or one NBA scout who has said he is first round material. Name one. Like I said I will bet any price he never goes first round. When will the blind homerism stop?

I recorded it but I forgot who said it and Im not going to rewind the tape to prove anything to you. My credibility on this board speaks for itself. they did not say first round, but they are already high on Hill and said the quote was "he is is the best athlete youve never heard of and he will definitely be playing in the NBA" hes only a junior so to get that kind of praise already tells me if he stays in school he will be a first round draft pick next year. By the way defense wins championships. I wont bash you for your opinion but calling anyone on this board stupid for thinking Hill will go pro means you are calling the ESPN experts stupid as well.

wishyjoshy

Call me jaded, but I don't think he would be drafted in the first round.  Honestly, I think he has peaked.  Don't get me wrong, he will be a good player next year.  But when you look at the likes of Durant, Oden, etc, Hill shouldn't even be in the conversation.  The NBA is a different game and a different world.  Hill could do well in Europe, but not in the NBA. 

If someone wants to save this post and bring it up in 6 years when he has made it big, I'll eat my crow.  But I just don't see it happening.

BTW, I don't think Noah (FL) will be that good in the league, either.  He is too limited.  For either one of them to be good, they are going to have to go see Ben Wallace's personal trainer and become the new Dennis Rodman's of the NBA.  Bad thing is that no one (other than the Knicks) is going to take a chance on a guy who is 7' can't shoot freethrows or make anything outside of 10ft. when they can go to Croatia and get a guy who is 6'11'' and can block shots, make passes, and drain the 3.

HogLove

I will directly quote the Piston's scout..."Steven will be a MUCH better play in the NBA than in college...tell him to keep doing what he's doing...keep being a defensive threat...".  I'm sorry, are any of you an NBA scout?  That's what I thought!

TRUHOG718

Quote from: JFen on January 28, 2007, 01:30:17 pm
Call me jaded, but I don't think he would be drafted in the first round.  Honestly, I think he has peaked.  Don't get me wrong, he will be a good player next year.  But when you look at the likes of Durant, Oden, etc, Hill shouldn't even be in the conversation.  The NBA is a different game and a different world.  Hill could do well in Europe, but not in the NBA. 

If someone wants to save this post and bring it up in 6 years when he has made it big, I'll eat my crow.  But I just don't see it happening.

BTW, I don't think Noah (FL) will be that good in the league, either.  He is too limited.  For either one of them to be good, they are going to have to go see Ben Wallace's personal trainer and become the new Dennis Rodman's of the NBA.  Bad thing is that no one (other than the Knicks) is going to take a chance on a guy who is 7' can't shoot freethrows or make anything outside of 10ft. when they can go to Croatia and get a guy who is 6'11'' and can block shots, make passes, and drain the 3.

"Other than the Knicks" ill give it to ya JFEn you hit the nail right there

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: trickyricky on January 28, 2007, 10:13:08 am
Ok, somebody tell me 6 better college big men than him, he would benefit if he stayed but as a position player he will play a backup role on about any team in the NBA.  He can make 1 million bucks a year backing up Shaq, and giving him two 5-7 min. breaks a game. 

1. Greg Oden
2. Glen Davis
3. Joakim Noah
4. Josh McRoberts
5. Jason Smith
6. Spencer Hawes
Plus.....
Ante Tomic
Hasheem Thabeet
Roy Hibbert
Spencer Hawes
Aaron Gray
Sean Williams
Robin Lopez

and that's just college players, not the international guys.

Make sure you know what your talking about before making such a stupid comment.

HogLove

And where did you get that credible information?!  A random internet site?!  I'm pretty sure even the ESPN predictions change DAILY...stock goes up and down by the hour!  But, I'm glad you know so much!

rasorback4life

Quote from: TuckFexas on January 27, 2007, 03:30:35 pm
If he keeps playing at the same level he has been over the past few ball games, I'm wondering if he might. Seems as though the scouts are already impressed with him without an offensive game. I definitely like the new and improved Hill, just hope we have him for 4 years.

I hope he comes back, but I am beginning to think the same thing.  NBA teams love 7 footers.
Mediocrity Rules!!!

Pastor_Hog

Watch the Hogs on Saturday and worship Jesus on Sunday.

311Hog

LOL you guys are nutts if you think Hill has an NBA game now.  Lets look past for a moment that fact he has absolutely no offensive game, and by none i mean absolutely none aside from the occasional stick back or dunk on the break, his FT's are horrible.

Yes he can block a shot from time to time, but in the NBA everyone is as big as him or bigger and a TON faster the likes of KG or Amare get Steven hill about 15 feet from the basket and then blow past him and dunk it in his face is all you will see in the NBA.

But lets get to a bigger point, all the "1 and done's" that will likely come out next year alot of them are big men. And Hill just doesnt stack up to them in terms of potential.  Hill's claim to fame is Defense and what dont NBA players play? yeah you guessed it defense.

I want to end this post on a positive, personally i feel like if Hill worked really hard next year on his rebounding he got 16 in the last game and there is NO EXCUSE for him to not break double digits in rebounding EVERY SINGLE NITE.  THat will be his only chance in the NBA to go in as rebounder/shot blocker.

hogsmaster

Quote from: cshivley1 on January 28, 2007, 02:00:59 am

Quote from: hogsmaster on January 28, 2007, 12:40:16 am
Borderline 1st round.  I say he comes back.

Hill is not a borderline first rounder, or second rounder for that matter. He would not get drafted. Olu Famutimi ring any bells? Scotty Thurman anyone? There are alot of youngsters that will jump out this year (Oden, Durant, Thaddeus Young etc..), not to mention that at least 3 of the Florida's starting 5 will be 1st rounders. There are also tons of internationals that will be drafted too(Yi Jianlian, Marco Belinelli, Rudy Fernandez etc..).
Don't take offense, but to call Hill a borderline 1st rounder is nonsense.

the key word is potential.  That's what the NBA looks for more than anything else.  Just look at all the high school big men that has been drafted the last few years before the new rule on high school players.  Steven is not only an athletic 7-footer, which very few players are, but he is one of the best interior defender in college basketball.  He changes game with his defensive plays.  He may not need to do lot of scoring if he plays on team with scorers at other position.  You can have 2-3 scorers on court the rest are more role players.  Very few teams (ala Pheonix Suns) have scorers at all positions.  However, Hill needs to rebound more consistently, but his defense, which is as good as anybody's offense, is what  intrigues NBA teams.

HogNuttz

In a word.  No.

In two words.  Hell no.

In three words. Not gonna happen.

In four words. No way in hell.

In five words.  Are you f*ing kidding me?

And I will gladly take him back.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

HogLove

Wow, I know this is fun and interesting to talk about.  I mean, I've really enjoyed this...it's humorous...but I really wish you guys knew how big of a possibility it is.  I know that you guys think you have an idea and think you know what scouts are thinking...but I really don't think you know how possible it is.  Actually, I know you don't...and I don't think he's going to go...but that's going to be his decision...not whether or not they want him.  They want him, right now, period, end of discussion.  You can debate all you want...but those are the FACTS!  But, continue anyway.

TRUHOG718

Quote from: cshivley1 on January 28, 2007, 11:38:29 pm
Quote from: trickyricky on January 28, 2007, 10:13:08 am

1. Greg Oden
2. Glen Davis
3. Joakim Noah
4. Josh McRoberts
5. Jason Smith
6. Spencer Hawes
Plus.....
Ante Tomic
Hasheem Thabeet
Roy Hibbert
Spencer Hawes
Aaron Gray
Sean Williams
Robin Lopez

and that's just college players, not the international guys.

Make sure you know what your talking about before making such a stupid comment.

I would take Thabeet off that list. That kid sucks. Ive seeen him play. the guy looks like Hill his freshman year except a whole lot worse. he just started playing basketball a few years ago. He is a Jim Calhoun project.

kdogstew

Quote from: TuckFexas on January 27, 2007, 03:30:35 pm
If he keeps playing at the same level he has been over the past few ball games, I'm wondering if he might. Seems as though the scouts are already impressed with him without an offensive game. I definitely like the new and improved Hill, just hope we have him for 4 years.

Hill will get drafted whenever he enters the draft.  There are just so very few 7 feet players and teams always think they can develop a kid. Remember even Darnel Robinson was drafted. 

However, unless his Ogame improves his tenure will be short lived.

No one needs to stay in college more than Hill if he wants to be a Zillionaire!!!

Stew

hog caller

really now if you were 20 years old and someone offered you 15 million what would you do?

Hogpuddin

No, he needs to bulk up just a tiny bit more and improve on his offensive skills.

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: HogLove on January 29, 2007, 02:55:41 pm
And where did you get that credible information?!  A random internet site?!  I'm pretty sure even the ESPN predictions change DAILY...stock goes up and down by the hour!  But, I'm glad you know so much!

I responded to the question. Where did I get that credible information? My brain. It's called enjoying keeping up with college basketball. Stock does go up and down by the hour, but Steven Hill is not on that list nor will he be this year. If you were halfway knowledgable about this sport then we wouldn't be having this conversation. You have posted 6 times, and you already seem like a brat.

threeNout

Just my opinion, but yes, SH could go to the NBA after this year.

No doubt he could improve his game, especially offensively, but he could probably do that better with better coaching and help at the next level.

The thing is, at over 7 feet, he runs, jumps and has the quickness of someone 6-4. that's rare, and NBA teams, most any of them, would invest a 1st round pick on someone with that potential.

7 footers are rare, 7 footers who aren't clumsy are even more rare.

Also his frame is is of the type to be very durable and he could have a 15 year career, most 7 footers legs and knees take a pounding over many seasons from carrying a lot of weight up and down the floor, but SH is slim, but fairly strong and well proportioned. slim, but stronger than a Shawn Bradley or Manute Bowle.

Yes, he needs to improve his game, but with his physical potential and work ethic, he can begin to work on it at the next level.

The choice is his, but if he comes out after this year, he'd be a 1st rounder IMO.

HogLove

Really...well brainiac...I'm sitting right next to him right now....do you want me to ask him what the credible ppl have  told him this week (not to mention all year)?!  Ok, I'm through with you experts!

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: HogLove on January 29, 2007, 08:43:55 pm
Really...well brainiac...I'm sitting right next to him right now....do you want me to ask him what the credible ppl have  told him this week (not to mention all year)?!  Ok, I'm through with you experts!

I'm sure he is. I'll just assume he is anyways.
sure thing ask him, and then tell him to stay. He won't get drafted. We need him next year too.

threeNout

I'll mention that Jason Jennings, a rather clumsy and slow footed 7 footer, was taken in the NBA draft.

SH has far more potential right now as a Jr than Jennings had.

One thing I'll note about Hill is how quick he gets himself to the floor for a loose ball, how many times have we seen that?, most 7 footers wouldn't even attempt it, but SH regularly out quicks men a half a foot shorter than him to a loose ball.

If NBA scouts really do love him, it's due to that athleticism and hustle in a 7 ft+ frame.  It's a rare enough combination of skills to invest a 1st round pick, as a Jr or Sr.

EastMemphisHog

Jennings plays in Europe.

You make a good point though.

threeNout

Quote from: HogLove on January 29, 2007, 08:43:55 pm
Really...well brainiac...I'm sitting right next to him right now....do you want me to ask him what the credible ppl have  told him this week (not to mention all year)?!  Ok, I'm through with you experts!

If Stephen is really there, tell him I appreciate how hard he plays, tell him to make his case to the scouts this year by getting us to the elite 8, then go make a ton of maoney for himself!

HogLove

How persuasive...wouldn't any player want to stay and play for a fan like you.

HogLove

I'll tell him!  He'll really appreciate that!

LZH

Stay another year Steven...get mean and learn to play offense. - Then you'll see the money (2nd rounder).

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: HogLove on January 29, 2007, 09:01:04 pm
I'll tell him!  He'll really appreciate that!

haha tell him Tubby Smith says he's a waste of space.

HogLove

Well, Nolan doesn't think so based on the article in the Gazette.  Let me know where you got that quote because it would be GREAT bulletin board material for the team!  Or did he call you and tell you that?!

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: HogLove on January 29, 2007, 09:20:24 pm
Well, Nolan doesn't think so based on the article in the Gazette.  Let me know where you got that quote because it would be GREAT bulletin board material for the team!  Or did he call you and tell you that?!

I just said it to get the team fired up. He really did say it though ;)
He also said Ervin can't play the point, PBev can't shoot, and Stan Heath is a girly-man