Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can ANYBODY Get a Read on our Basketball Team?

Started by WilsonHog, January 25, 2007, 03:39:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

We look like a Sweet Sixteen team against Alabama, Florida, and LSU.

We look like a poor NIT team against Ole Miss, Georgia, and South Carolina.

Missouri, a mediocre Big XII team, just hammered us. Then we almost beat Texas in Austin.

I doubt seriously that we'll do much better than 6-10 and 17-13 going into the SEC Tournament.

Then again, we could win 20 games by that time.

LJHOG

Great at home.  Less than great on the road.  LOL

cityhog

the way it is shaping up, if ANY West team can win a road game they will win the division.

hogsanity

We look like the Hog team that Nolan had that beat Ky and Aub back to back to end the season and squeak into the NCAAT.  They could not beat anyone that did not have a ranking.  This team looks EXACTLY like that one.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bomis Hawg

I like what the trends show for the next few games.  Then, again, I could be whiping egg off my face.

Arkansas has, based on the past few years, could sweep the next 3 game.  LSU is a wildcard on the road, which is just as up-down-up-down as Arkansas.

Top consistant teams in the SEC: 1) Florida; 2) Vanderbilt; 3) Georgia.

Arkansas' final games still look winnable -- excluding the trip to Memorial Gym.  Very tough.

NuttinItUp

Oliver

I am convinced that we will not win a single game on the road this year.  We either stink against bad teams on the road or we play good teams on the road well enough to just lose by a few points.  We should be pretty good at home the rest of the year.  Georgia was kind of a weird exception, we usually play extremely well at Bud Walton.  We will finish 7-9 in conference play.

Our biggest problem in our guard play.  We have NEVER had a good point guard in the Heath era.  Beverly is probably our best scorer but I don't think he takes enough shots.  The only thing consistent about Sonny Weems is his inconsistency.  The SEC is just not a good conference this year.

cmakrzrbak

We stink until the consistency sharks start swimming in our heads...
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

Hogtropolis™

January 25, 2007, 03:47:36 pm #9 Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 03:49:12 pm by Hogtropolis
My read, take it for what it's worth (nothing), is that we will play up (or down) to the talent level we play.  If it's a game we should probably lose, then we will win (meaning we will win against Bama this weekend).  If it's a game that we probably should win, then we will lose.  If that makes any sense.  I won't stop rooting for my Hoop Hogs though.  The SECW is still WIDE open.  GO HOGS!  BEAT BAMA!

Hog_One_Stop

Frank might want to ask the EXPERTS  on how can we win on road,  It's time for a change and it starts with FRANK.  FIRE FRANK NOW

WILL CLINTON

I would say that the only people who can get a read on our basketball team are Ole Miss, Missouri, Georgia, South Carolina, Texas Tech, and Texas.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Bomis Hawg

I know no one give's a rat's ass, but Oakland and Oral Roberts tonight in Tulsa -- winner likely take the lead of the MCC for now (they also meet in the final regular season game).  Both 5-0 in league play.  UMKC is playing like shiite, but they do play tomorrow (also in the MCC).

fanofthehog

Not hard to read, we suck.  The two teams we have beaten get whipped by everyone else too.  Thank you stan.

hogsanity

How does Towns miss so many layups?  At 5'9" I never had the luxury of getting many to start with, but when i did, i sure did not miss them. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: hogsanity on January 25, 2007, 03:51:27 pm
How does Towns miss so many layups?  At 5'9" I never had the luxury of getting many to start with, but when i did, i sure did not miss them. 
He's a rhythm player and he never really got into a good scoring groove.  If he's on early, he'll play well all game, but if he starts cold he'll go to crap.

Can't fault him for his effort though.

razorsharphawg

Quote from: LJHOG on January 25, 2007, 03:40:05 pm
Great at home.  Less than great on the road.  LOL

Yes, we stink on the road but have played well on neutral courts (preseason).  Does this bode well for our postseason chances?  Possibly, but this team is schizophrenic so your guess is as good as mine.

DoubleJ

Some nights I get the feeling that we're gonna go deep in the tournament.....Others, I think we'll lose our first NIT game.

hogsanity

Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on January 25, 2007, 03:53:43 pm
He's a rhythm player and he never really got into a good scoring groove.  If he's on early, he'll play well all game, but if he starts cold he'll go to crap.

He does it when he is having good games.  He scored 19 earlier this year and could have had 27 if he just made layups.  Most guys his size would slam 3/4 of the little chippies that he misses. 

bigbrutha

I think it comes down to 3 point shooting and turnovers (especially Ervin).  Time to check some stats.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: hogsanity on January 25, 2007, 03:57:41 pm
Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on January 25, 2007, 03:53:43 pm

He does it when he is having good games.  He scored 19 earlier this year and could have had 27 if he just made layups.  Most guys his size would slam 3/4 of the little chippies that he misses. 

You got me there.  I'm at a loss...finesse player maybe?  Hoping for the foul?  Anticipating the foul?  I don't know.

HOGansHero

The read I am getting is that Stan better hope he is in a position to get homework from Frank in the off season.

dbaileyway7

I can read it well enough to know that when we give up offense rebounds from being lazy we can't fast break, thus getting our a$$ kicked from second chance points.

bigbrutha

Quote from: bigbrutha on January 25, 2007, 03:59:03 pm
I think it comes down to 3 point shooting and turnovers (especially Ervin).  Time to check some stats.

In our 7 losses we're shooting 28% from behind the arc on 113 attempts.  We average 17 turnovers a game in those losses.  This, combined with Stan "The Road Warrior" Heath, explains a lot.

MF

As much talk as Ervin gets, this team's win/loss depends on Beverly in my opinion.  If he's on, we're going to win.  If he only makes two buckets, we lose. 
"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

bigbrutha

Quote from: MF on January 25, 2007, 04:27:33 pm
As much talk as Ervin gets, this team's win/loss depends on Beverly in my opinion.  If he's on, we're going to win.  If he only makes two buckets, we lose. 

Weems is hot and cold too.  When he's aggressive he makes us more dynamic.

Bomis Hawg

Weems was cold the first games he had the mask.  He's been playing much better the last two games.

Ahenso

I would like to beleive that consitency starts with the Head Coach. We are the most roller coaster team i have ever witnessed. It is a matter of playing against your competetion. When we play good competetion we play above our standards and when we play lower regarded teams we play right with them. How can you have a 5-35 record on the road? How? Its utterly amazing.

bigbrutha

Quote from: MF on January 25, 2007, 04:27:33 pm

mark faldon's been inconsistent too.

dirtydoghog

I honestly can't get a read but I know we will be lucky to win one game on the road.  I swear, everytime I hear Stan on the post game show and he talks about his players not bring the intensity on the road I just want to puke!! 
I honestly believe that Arkansas has the 2nd most talent in the SEC behind Florida and should be running away with the West, only to realize that we are not even .500.  It's sad.

Jim Harris

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 25, 2007, 03:39:11 pm
We look like a Sweet Sixteen team against Alabama, Florida, and LSU.

We look like a poor NIT team against Ole Miss, Georgia, and South Carolina.

Missouri, a mediocre Big XII team, just hammered us. Then we almost beat Texas in Austin.

I doubt seriously that we'll do much better than 6-10 and 17-13 going into the SEC Tournament.

Then again, we could win 20 games by that time.

Who can tell anything. Scott Cain reported in the Wednesday morning paper, and I take it he gathered his facts by actually talking with the players and Heath, that they all had a sense of urgency going into the SC game. Where was the sense of urgency then when the game tipped off.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

itsawonderfulhog

Well above average at home with a 5-35 road record, schizophrenic comes to mind!

Swino

All I know is bet the Hogs when we should lose and bet the opponent when we should win. 

OR...

Bet the Hogs at home and bet against on the road.  Always.

jpenrod1

we play inconsistent because of coaching. we have good players that have proven they can play with the best in the league. teams like duke and UNC no matter how good there team is or how good of a year they are having always show up to play. that is what makes them great. this has been the issue as long as stan has been here. he can get good players and good talent but cant get them ready to play. we beat great teams because players will get up for those games by themselves. it is the weak opponents that coaching is needed. for some reason stan does not have it

razorsharphawg

Quote from: DoubleJ on January 25, 2007, 03:57:14 pm
Some nights I get the feeling that we're gonna go deep in the tournament.....Others, I think we'll lose our first NIT game.

Both are likely scenarios...we'll lose our first NIT game if it's on the road for sure.

RealHogFan

In my opinion, we are great at home (as John Seibel said on ESPN radio today).  But on the road, we play to the competition - good or bad.  We have not been blown away, even by "good" teams like Florida and Texas.  We just came up short - against everybody.  Last night everyone played bad, and we still should have won.  It was much like this last year. 

missippihog

Biggest enigma of a Razorback basketball team I have ever seen.

Bomis Hawg

Kentucky is the only road killer in the SEC since Heath took over.  Since then, Ole Miss is the only team with fewer road wins (4).  I think Georgia or South Carolina has 6 in that time period.

Arkansas played Texas nip-and-tuck.  Ditto for Florida.  Yeah, Arkansas played bad against Ole Miss, but the refs were allowing football on the court.  South Carolina just made bigger shots.  Most of the stats were close to even in the box score.  Just, the Gamecocks had better timing with thiers -- plus they were able to stop the runs Arkansas had.

Arkansas' final five are winnable, I think.  There is an Auburn mid-weeker in there.  Also a trip to Memorial Gym.  I think those are winnable, if the play right.  The next 3, imo, are winnable.  I have stated the reasons before. 

Don't be shocked to see Arkansas destroy Auburn when the visit in a few games.

hog caller

bigbrutha

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on January 25, 2007, 06:00:22 pm
Kentucky is the only road killer in the SEC since Heath took over.  Since then, Ole Miss is the only team with fewer road wins (4).  I think Georgia or South Carolina has 6 in that time period.

Arkansas played Texas nip-and-tuck.  Ditto for Florida.  Yeah, Arkansas played bad against Ole Miss, but the refs were allowing football on the court.  South Carolina just made bigger shots.  Most of the stats were close to even in the box score.  Just, the Gamecocks had better timing with thiers -- plus they were able to stop the runs Arkansas had.

Arkansas' final five are winnable, I think.  There is an Auburn mid-weeker in there.  Also a trip to Memorial Gym.  I think those are winnable, if the play right.  The next 3, imo, are winnable.  I have stated the reasons before. 

Listen to Bomis Hawg.  He knows what he's talking about.  Nice post

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: bigbrutha on January 25, 2007, 06:19:12 pm
Quote from: Bomis Hawg on January 25, 2007, 06:00:22 pm

Listen to Bomis Hawg.  He knows what he's talking about.  Nice post
I'll agree with you on that one.  Espically when it comes to Hog bball.

The Truth

Inconsistency?

The Hogs are 1-4 in their last 5 games. The only win came against a hugely overrated LSU squad that just lost by 11 to Vandy at home. Call it "weird" if you want, but we also lost to Georgia in BWA. And "close" losses against Texas and Texas Tech don't mean a thing.

It breaks my heart, but the facts on the court say that Arkansas is simply one of the worst teams in the SEC, mostly because of turnovers and poor perimeter defense.

I don't see inconsistency. I see a steady loser.

The Truth hurts.

spahoopsfan

For what it is worth here is my take.  One problem is the coach. I have always supported stan because he recruits well and has intergity (something our football coach doesn't have) I think Hipsher is a big problem as well and here is why.  On the road what things change. 1. the fans make the home team hustle more and play better defense 2. the officials give the home team the calls. 
Therefore, our defense is worse because the home crowd isn't there to encourage them to hustle and our offense suffers because the home crowd helps the opposing team to hustle and play better defense.  If our coaches did a better job of motivating our players to play better defense in lue of having the home crowd we would play better defense (case in point USC player gets 8 offensive rebounds - all hustle) and if we had a better offensive scheme we could get shots off prior to the 35 second clock or a turnover.  We aren't getting good looks on the road our offense is terrible.  The reason our team was so good on the road in the early 90's is because the first good shot we had we took and no one was scare to shoot.  Those teams played loose, this team is acting like they are all freshmen learning the plays and are scare they aren't going to do it right.