Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who has a better opinion of Nolan than they did 5 years ago?

Started by AstroHawg, January 24, 2007, 11:58:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HaWg 10

"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

ozarkhog

Yes, I remember all the crap he had to go through. Do you think he was the only person ever turned down at the Country club get real.

I can remember several times having shouting matches with people defend  him as a person and a coach. I would do it all over again.

Still if you don't like rocks thrown at you don't throw rocks at people who have been on your side.

That is my point.

Please don't try to lecture me on what he went through. I was there at the beginning.
AKA: Snowflake  
Watch your thoughts; they become your words.
Watch your words; they become your actions.
Watch your actions; they become your habits.
Watch your habits; they become your character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny

BartIV

Nolan Richardson was waiting for the AD job to open up, after the 1995 season. He waited and waited. I doubt Frank really wanted to pass that job to an African American, thats "my Opinion" from a white guy. Nolan planned on taking that job as AD and then making Mike Anderson HC of Arkansas. But as the saying goes, thats all in the past.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: MaconBacon on January 25, 2007, 10:59:13 am
Dont forget about all the nice people that used to burn crosses in his yard and shoot his horses. 
A shame you wasted one of your 13 posts on this. FYI, Notes accidentally shot his Daddy's horse. It was not a criminal act.

And, I never heard of anyone burning a cross in his yard. Your post should be deleted.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HogFaninGA on January 25, 2007, 11:10:38 am
Quote from: ozarkhog on January 25, 2007, 11:08:40 am
Nolan was fine until he called us all redneck @$$holes. He made it a general statement all the way back to his first few years.

Still, it hurts to watch missouri play and realize what we do not have.

If you knew the crap he had to go through you wouldn't blame him.  He wasn't well recieved when he first got to the U of A.  He tried to get a membership in the Fayetteville Golf Club (I believe) and was turned down.  If Frank wanted to do something he could of, but didn't.  There are other instances also.
Oh, Boo hoo. He couldn't get in a golf club. I'm sure it was a bunch of racists who didn't want a colored boy being a member. Geez.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

chillinhoggie

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on January 25, 2007, 12:12:21 pm
Dont forget about all the nice people that used to burn crosses in his yard and shoot his horses. 
A shame you wasted one of your 13 posts on this. FYI, Notes accidentally shot his Daddy's horse. It was not a criminal act.

And, I never heard of anyone burning a cross in his yard. Your post should be deleted.
I'm pretty sure there were no crosses burned.... that would have been NATIONWIDE news at LEAST...
As far as the horses go...... I'd bet there is more than one person in a rural/deer crazy state such as ours who have had livestock shot..... I know I have.

razornole

Nolan was fine until he called us all redneck @$$holes. He made it a general statement all the way back to his first few years.

lol um not exactly UNTRUE either, but yes that is a broad brush.

I liked him 5 years ago, like him today.

I wouldn't be able to work for the White Haired Devil as long as he did.
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

mykidsdad

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on January 25, 2007, 10:25:23 am
Quote from: BartIV on January 25, 2007, 09:32:49 am
Did Nolan Richardson have a losing season in his last years, I don't think so, but i could be wrong.

You're wrong.

No he is not. The last season before he was let go they were 14-14 which is not a losing season.

mykidsdad

Quote from: chillinhoggie on January 25, 2007, 12:23:00 pm

I'm pretty sure there were no crosses burned.... that would have been NATIONWIDE news at LEAST...
As far as the horses go...... I'd bet there is more than one person in a rural/deer crazy state such as ours who have had livestock shot..... I know I have.
There was a cross burned. I know the Richardsons very well and I have spoken to Miss Rosie about this many times all the way back to when it happened.

mykidsdad

Quote from: razornole on January 25, 2007, 12:27:01 pm

This is another incorrrect fact. Nolan called the midget "Wally" a redneck SOB. Wally wrote in the paper that he called the fans that but it was not true. This is also in the trial transcript if you care to read it.

dhornjr1

Quote from: WPSRazorbacks on January 25, 2007, 12:07:36 am
Quote from: LJHOG on January 25, 2007, 12:01:50 am
not really, since I have all but forgotten Nolan.

I'm sorry.  You really are missing out. Those were the Glory Days!!

Yes, they were. I remember the line uttered by virtually all Hog fans in the early and mid nineties:

"Well, the football team still sucks. When does basketball start?"

dhornjr1

Quote from: mykidsdad on January 25, 2007, 01:23:37 pm
Quote from: razornole on January 25, 2007, 12:27:01 pm

This is another incorrrect fact. Nolan called the midget "Wally" a redneck SOB. Wally wrote in the paper that he called the fans that but it was not true. This is also in the trial transcript if you care to read it.

Oh? A misquote by Wally? Surely, you jest. ;)

ballhog88

chillinhoggie

Quote from: mykidsdad on January 25, 2007, 01:21:55 pm
Quote from: chillinhoggie on January 25, 2007, 12:23:00 pm

There was a cross burned. I know the Richardsons very well and I have spoken to Miss Rosie about this many times all the way back to when it happened.
I'll take your word for it.... I don't know them that well.

MaconBacon

January 25, 2007, 01:53:52 pm #65 Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 02:00:53 pm by MaconBacon
Don't forget about all the nice people that used to burn crosses in his yard and shoot his horses. 

Please forgive me for insulting your intellect. Maybe you should spend more time rubbing your Shorthorn  than reading a newbs post.  FYI  It was public that a cross was burned and it was talked about...but it occurred back when the news reported on real news and not what just sold. I would have to say it was an embarrassment for the Richardsons and they didn't want to yell loud enough for you to hear it in Memphis.  Yes, I just have 13 post's.  Did you start with 1 post or 4000? I will never have a 10 post average for the day an I certainly wont have 4000 posts in a year like you....I just don't have that much whining to do. WTH do you have Texas as a AV for anyway?  Who are you here for?   Texas.....Memphis  or Arkansas....... I think my post is fine.  Maybe you should be deleted

The Truth

Quote from: Hamillionaire on January 25, 2007, 01:17:31 am
Quote from: ImHogginIt on January 25, 2007, 12:34:34 am
Quote from: Translator on January 25, 2007, 12:29:04 am
Quote from: ImHogginIt on January 25, 2007, 12:22:07 am
Nolan was a great coach. He just got a tad lazy/arrogant on the recruiting front after 95 season.

I think it was more apathy than anything else...I'm pretty sure I would have flipped out much sooner than he did (how many of us could stay sane on the Hill with the Dynasty that is in control?)

Well I'll cut Nolan some slack. He didn't want to butt kiss AAU coaches in order to get in with their players. I can respect that but we saw the result of not doing that and thinking he could select and not recruit anymore. A few years of decent teams but not dominant any longer.
I know he never recruited Ronnie but if you look at what might have been as far as guys that he was recruiting, we could have been awesome. Just missed on Okafor. Had a commit from Igaduila (sp?). That guy who followed MA to UAB (can't remember his name cuz he didn't really pan out). Who knows he may have worked out for Nolan? Add JJ Sullinger to that and some role players and I'd say you've got a pretty sweet lineup. Oh, well, if if's and butt's were candy and nuts...

Nolan Richardson was, beyond argument, the GREATEST COACH IN ARKANSAS BAKETBALL HISTORY. He was arguably the greatest college basketball coach in the country between 1990 and 1995. He wasn't afraid to p*** people off, but however much anybody felt insulted by his attitude, his teams gave everybody in Arkansas something to be proud of. They were f**king fierce.

When you judge his recruiting over the last few seasons of his tenure at UA, don't forget that both Jannero Pargo and Andre Igoudala are playing in the NBA right now.

When it came to Ronnie Brewer, a local high school star beloved by the whole state, maybe we're hearing some echoes of that situation in the football program lately, eh?
The Truth hurts.

HogFaninGA

I lived in NWA when that cross burning happened and Macon is telling the truth about it.

BumpieJohnson

Quote from: WoooPigSooie on January 25, 2007, 12:20:04 am
Quote from: hogpowr on January 25, 2007, 12:07:31 am
Nolan for AD, wouldn't that cook broyles goose!

There will be an African American POTUS before there is an African American AD at the UA.  That's another thread.

I totaly agree with you

TushCrush

Quote from: kgr on January 25, 2007, 08:48:09 am
Quote from: BartIV on January 25, 2007, 08:38:23 am
Nolan created the Razorbacks. Teams used to come to Arkansas scared and with cameras in hand to take pictures of a perfect team. Nolan brought the Razorback program back to life in the 90's and he deserved some respect. Think what Razorbacks sports would have been like without Nolan in the 90's. The Football teams were pathetic in the early-mid 90's and Nolan had us in the sweet sixteen or better during that time.
One more question, Nolan won the SEC championship in his last years, in fact, didn't the Razorbacks play 4 games in 4 days and win. First time in history. When was this? and how long after that was he fired? Just for winning that, he should have been given another 10 years.
Bring back Nolan!!!!

Sorry, you have your history wrong.  Coach Rose was winning in the SWC before his asst. Waller took over (he was lousy).  Lanny Van E. brought them to another level and was a good coach.  Sutton brought the hogs to the always on the national forefront level.  Nolan took it the next step, and deserves credit for everything he accomplished.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Duddy Waller "lousy". His teams were 99% Arkansans going against some pretty stacked SWC teams. If you think about it, thats as close to perfect as it gets. Arkansas against the world - united on the home front repelling the Texas mongol horde. The odds were against him every week and he represented with class.

BumpieJohnson

Nolan change the game when we came to the SEC nobody knew about SEC  basketball untill Arkansas came around it was all about Kentucky now look Florida has a NC who would have though. Nolan changed the game.

Keep it Real

Optimus Swine

It's nolans's fault we got so low in the first place. I'm grateful to him for the NC, but after that he coasted, choosing to focus on spouting his poisonous opinions and to heck with the platform he was standing on. 
   That said SH  is making me very impatient.
Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.
Yogi Berra

BumpieJohnson

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on January 25, 2007, 12:13:39 pm
Quote from: HogFaninGA on January 25, 2007, 11:10:38 am

If you knew the crap he had to go through you wouldn't blame him.  He wasn't well recieved when he first got to the U of A.  He tried to get a membership in the Fayetteville Golf Club (I believe) and was turned down.  If Frank wanted to do something he could of, but didn't.  There are other instances also.
Oh, Boo hoo. He couldn't get in a golf club. I'm sure it was a bunch of racists who didn't want a colored boy being a member. Geez.
why don't u use the n word why u are on a roll

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: mykidsdad on January 25, 2007, 01:20:35 pm
Quote from: MarkinMemphis on January 25, 2007, 10:25:23 am
Quote from: BartIV on January 25, 2007, 09:32:49 am
Did Nolan Richardson have a losing season in his last years, I don't think so, but i could be wrong.

You're wrong.

No he is not. The last season before he was let go they were 14-14 which is not a losing season.

No, they were 14-15.

litmachog

Nolan wouldn't have put up with the crappy play of up one game and down another game without wearing some butts out. 

He would have gotten some attention.  Same for Eddie Sutton.  I remember a couple of times that the Hogs lost to lower SWC teams during his time as coach and as the Hogs sat in the locker room after practice, he told them not to take a shower or change clothes because after the fans cleared out, they were going back out onto the floor.  I don't see that Heath would EVER do that.

bokid12

I feel bad for him.  I see him at Paradise valley playing by himself.  He waves and seems happy, but it's no fun playing by yourself.  Maybe he'd rather be by himself though.

I know a lot of people have a lot of hatred for him still, but I'm over it.

BigSnout

I was in the Little Rock area a couple of days ago and while I was eating they showed Nolan on TV with the headline New Job.  Does anyone know what that is all about.  I couldn't hear what they were saying.

Albert Einswine

I don't have a "better" opinion of him where his schizophrenia is concerned.  I thought that he had overstayed his welcome the last couple of years and his behavior had become erratic.  I saw him then in much the same way that I see Nutt now.

What has changed is my opinion of his characterization of Broyles as a "white haired devil".  I believe Nolan had some valuable insight into Frank's character that has heretofore been kept largely hidden from most of us.

I didn't believe him 5 years ago but today I'm much more inclined to.

I have come to agree with him that there is a double standard in the athletic department.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

MDH

No change for me.  I wanted him gone then and I still wouldn't take him back, I'd rather endure Heath's Jekyll and Hyde team than have Nolan on the hill again.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

Albert Einswine

I don't have a "better" opinion of him where his schizophrenia is concerned.  I thought that he had overstayed his welcome the last couple of years and his behavior had become erratic.  I saw him then in much the same way that I see Nutt now.

What has changed is my opinion of his characterization of Broyles as a "white haired devil".  I believe Nolan had some valuable insight into Frank's character that has heretofore been kept largely hidden from most of us.

I didn't believe him 5 years ago but today I'm much more inclined to.

I have come to agree with him that there is a double standard in the athletic department.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

birdhawg

Quote from: BartIV on January 25, 2007, 08:38:23 am
Nolan created the Razorbacks. Teams used to come to Arkansas scared and with cameras in hand to take pictures of a perfect team. Nolan brought the Razorback program back to life in the 90's and he deserved some respect. Think what Razorbacks sports would have been like without Nolan in the 90's. The Football teams were pathetic in the early-mid 90's and Nolan had us in the sweet sixteen or better during that time.
One more question, Nolan won the SEC championship in his last years, in fact, didn't the Razorbacks play 4 games in 4 days and win. First time in history. When was this? and how long after that was he fired? Just for winning that, he should have been given another 10 years.
Bring back Nolan!!!!
I hope you're joking.

Scottacus

I miss Nolan of the early 90s, but the program had run out of gas long before the contreversial statements. I wish he could have left the program on good terms and I wish we as fans could have given him a final standing ovation, but I don't miss losing seasons and poor recruiting of those final years.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bokid12 on January 25, 2007, 04:30:17 pm
I feel bad for him.  I see him at Paradise valley playing by himself.  He waves and seems happy, but it's no fun playing by yourself.  Maybe he'd rather be by himself though.

I know a lot of people have a lot of hatred for him still, but I'm over it.

He's getting $500,000 per year from the U of A every year since he was fired. You can buy a lot of friends with that if you want them.