Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you could take on player of that great 94 basketball team....

Started by Hollywood_HOGan, January 22, 2007, 06:10:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood_HOGan

and put it on the current team, who would it be?

My obvious choice is Corey freaking Beck. That kid was 100% winner in every aspect of his game. He could take over a game and not even score 5 points.

A great leader and didnt turn the ball over. He was the second leading rebounder on the team as a PG!!! That's insane!

Beck woudl be a great fit with this team. He could get the ball to Townes, Hill, and Thomas very easily.

Not raggin on Ervin but he does get wild at times and still makes crucial mistakes. He has really helped the team out but i cant remember a PG as tough and gritty as Corey Beck.

(just something to get away from football depression)

Mister_BS

The ONLY first choice was the M(ost) O(utstanding) P(layer) in the Final Four

if they played shirts and skins, Corliss is the first pick EVERY time. I know, I know, you are talking about fitting in and adding one guy. So you make an interesting choice.

But it's the WRONG choice. You HAVE to take the guy who makes the biggest difference and that is obvious.

nice try at a different thread. case closed

:razorback:

Ulysses_S_Grunt

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

I think I would pick Scotty.  Corliss was AMAZING, but we already have several big inside men.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Mister_BS on January 22, 2007, 06:13:20 pm
The ONLY first choice was the M(ost) O(utstanding) P(layer) in the Final Four

if they played shirts and skins, Corliss is the first pick EVERY time. I know, I know, you are talking about fitting in and adding one guy. So you make an interesting choice.

But it's the WRONG choice. You HAVE to take the guy who makes the biggest difference and that is obvious.

nice try at a different thread. case closed

:razorback:

We already have inside scoring with Townes, Thomas, and now Hill.

Corliss is hardcore definitly but some peopel seem to forget what an impact Corey Beck made.

I repeat again, he was the second leading rebounder on a national championship team.

Came very very close to making triple doubles on numberous occasions.

What have we been looking for ever since Heath got here? I believe we've been looking for a point guard, not inside scoring.

Dreadnaught38

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on January 22, 2007, 06:10:15 pm

My obvious choice is Corey freaking Beck. That kid was 100% winner in every aspect of his game. He could take over a game and not even score 5 points.

A great leader and didnt turn the ball over. He was the second leading rebounder on the team as a PG!!! That's insane!

Beck woudl be a great fit with this team. He could get the ball to Townes, Hill, and Thomas very easily.

Not raggin on Ervin but he does get wild at times and still makes crucial mistakes. He has really helped the team out but i cant remember a PG as tough and gritty as Corey Beck.

that was my first thought.

_Collin1

You people are crazy if you dont take Clint McDaniel.  Possibly the best defender in history to go along with a 3pt shot and some ball handling skills.  I SOOO miss what Clint McDaniel did on defense.  Only one player worked harder than him in my years of watching Hog basketball...  Derek Hood.

I didnt say better people.. I said work harder.
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: abostian on January 22, 2007, 06:17:34 pm
I think I would pick Scotty.  Corliss was AMAZING, but we already have several big inside men.

I thought about him too.

Scotty could hit a three like a free throw. Looking back at some of those games, it was just amazing how he would knock down every outside shot and every big shot in close games.

Hogpuddin

I've got no problem with your thread, it is an interesting question.  I definitely see your point with Beck.  Pure Heart.  I got the chance to guard him when I was in High School during a pick-up game.  It was a lot of fun.

But I would probably go with Corliss, he could score from the point if given the chance.

Al Dillard would also add a nice touch.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: BigC51 on January 22, 2007, 06:19:04 pm

You people are crazy if you dont take Clint McDaniel.  Possibly the best defender in history to go along with a 3pt shot and some ball handling skills.  I SOOO miss what Clint McDaniel did on defense.  Only one player worked harder than him in my years of watching Hog basketball...  Derek Hood.

One of the best on ball defenders in our history.

If i was making up an all Arkansas team and go take on everybody, I'd take Clint McDaniel at the 2 spot.

Brand X Hog Fan

I'd take Crawford. Run a 3 guard offense when we needed pressure. He was a defender and could shoot the ball as well. Always added a spark coming off the bench. If not for him, we would not have beaten Georgetown to advance. I was scared from then on because we had to go without him.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

hogtheball

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on January 22, 2007, 06:20:52 pm

If i was making up an all Arkansas team and go take on everybody, I'd take Clint McDaniel at the 2 spot.

McDaniel was GOOD on D, but not our best ever.  You've got to be kidding or really young.  First of all Sidney Moncrief was a 5 time NBA all-star and all-defensive team.  Oh, and he won NBA DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR - TWICE (83 AND 84).

Next,  Alvin Robertson.  6-time NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM and NBA defensive POY in 86.

Is McDaniel third?  Maybe - I'd say it's a close call between him and Darrell Walker - both were exceptional defenders and close to third. 

Oh, and this current team - of all the 94 guys - needs Corliss.  Beck was great, but his assist numbers were in large part due to the fact that Corliss was so good at posting up that an interior pass was usually an assist.  Corliss was also doubled most of the time - nobody on our current team draws a double.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Hollywood_HOGan

January 22, 2007, 06:59:19 pm #13 Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 07:01:31 pm by Hollywood_HOGan
Quote from: hogtheball on January 22, 2007, 06:49:33 pm

McDaniel was GOOD on D, but not our best ever.  You've got to be kidding or really young.  First of all Sidney Moncrief was a 5 time NBA all-star and all-defensive team.  Oh, and he won NBA DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR - TWICE (83 AND 84).

Next,  Alvin Robertson.  6-time NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM and NBA defensive POY in 86.

Is McDaniel third?  Maybe - I'd say it's a close call between him and Darrell Walker - both were exceptional defenders and close to third. 

Oh, and this current team - of all the 94 guys - needs Corliss.  Beck was great, but his assist numbers were in large part due to the fact that Corliss was so good at posting up that an interior pass was usually an assist.  Corliss was also doubled most of the time - nobody on our current team draws a double.

Moncrief probalby would have played the 3 spot anyway.

And yeah im only 24. I didnt get the chance to see Sid play but have heard and read about him.

BTW i said *one of* the best on ball defenders. Didnt say best ever.

McDaniel was one of the beest ball hawkers in college basketball that year.

Junkyard Hog

I'll always take the best player available.  Give me Corliss.

hogmary

A tie between Beck and Thurman.  Beck hit the big shots and FT's when it counted and he was the unquestioned leader of the team.  I cannot imagine anyone I would rather have taking the last shot than Thurman.  They don't come any tougher than Beck.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: hogmary on January 22, 2007, 07:05:36 pm
A tie between Beck and Thurman.  Beck hit the big shots and FT's when it counted and he was the unquestioned leader of the team.  I cannot imagine anyone I would rather have taking the last shot than Thurman.  They don't come any tougher than Beck.

Beck and Beverly on the same team would have been really fun to watch.

and yeah Thurman was one of the most clutch players I've ever seen. If he took a big shot when the game was on the line, it was going down.

That LSU game in 94 in BR was ridiculous how many big shots him and Dillard made.

hogtheball

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on January 22, 2007, 06:59:19 pm

And yeah im only 24. I didnt get the chance to see Sid play but have heard and read about him.

I agree with you - sad you didn't get to see Sid play.  I wonder if there are videos available.  He was something.  A poster before you said McDaniel was probably the greatest defender in history - that's who I was talking to mainly. 

Any way, since we can't have a '94 player, which of the current players would have helped the '94 team the most.  I'd have to say Hill would have been helpful on D and they didn't really need the center to score a lot.  He's the only one I can see getting much PT. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Hogpuddin

Quote from: hogtheball on January 22, 2007, 07:11:54 pm

I agree with you - sad you didn't get to see Sid play.  I wonder if there are videos available.  He was something.  A poster before you said McDaniel was probably the greatest defender in history - that's who I was talking to mainly. 

Any way, since we can't have a '94 player, which of the current players would have helped the '94 team the most.  I'd have to say Hill would have been helpful on D and they didn't really need the center to score a lot.  He's the only one I can see getting much PT. 

I think that Beverly could have come off of the bench for McDaniel and/or Beck and continued the momentum that we had with them.  Of course, our guard position had quite a bit of depth already.

KinkosHog

I would go with Corliss Williamson, the best college ball player that we have ever had.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: hogtheball on January 22, 2007, 07:11:54 pm

we were scary deep in the backcourt. Roger Crawford was really good but just not as good as Beck/Thurman. Davor Rimac would have been really good for this team. I agree I would have liked to see Steven Hill on that 94 team.

Sadly Darnell Robinson's frosh year was his best and Lee Wilson never did much. Nolan was an awsome coach but his staff couldnt develop big men.  Steven Hill shows more fire and intensity than any 7 footer at Arkansas in quite a while. Hope he keeps it up.

softballguy8

I see your point. I'd take Big Nasty any day. But I see what you're trying to say. I don't feel real good about either of our point guards.
Coach Petrino ... Welcome to Arkansas!

superjw

The Law of Insanity is this - doing things the same way and expecting different results.

MDH

I have to agree with Beck, that is what this team needs the most right now.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

zwhogfan

I would throw Corliss down in the post with Steven Hill and just abuse teams on the inside.

IndyHog45

Don't forget Leroy Sutton off of one of Sutton's team as a premier defender.  He always drew the tough assignments, unsung hero.

booogaga

GO HOGS!

billyjoeswine

ClemsonHog

It's funny reading the posts. That 94 team was so talented and deep that I had already seen 5 different guys that people were very adamant about taking within the first ten posts.

Ouachihog

You stole my thunder.  Clint McDaniel has to be one of the most underrated players in Ark history.  He could defend anybody and was a great shooter. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

Franchise_Hog

This one's easy...Corliss Williamson.  And Scotty Thurman is a distant second.

TRUHOG718

NOLAN RICHARDSON!!!!!!!!

I know he's not a player but so what. Thats who I'd take
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

diehardrbackfan

January 22, 2007, 08:54:38 pm #32 Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 07:08:15 pm by diehardrbackfan

pigtrail

Support the hogs,always!!! Manlaw...

RootnShoot

Although Enskoff was good, I would have to go with the Big Nasty.

He could play some ball.
There are more important things.

jeepinhogfan

BigEasy

"If you dont say Corliss, you obviously dont know much about basketball."

This is correct. 

For what it is worth, Hill would start on '94 assuming Nolan could teach him to rebound.  And we would not have lost a game. 

hogtheball

Quote from: jeepinhogfan on January 22, 2007, 08:56:48 pm
I would have to pick Clint McDaniel, or Dwight Stewart.

Aren't Dwight Stewart and Townes one and the same?

_Collin1

Quote from: hogtheball link=topic=111079.msg1598358#msg1598358

I will retract my Clint McDaniel statement to Sydney even though maybe SM was a 3 in college and CD was a legit 2 and could play some 1. 

This post kind of got off track...  if we could take any player from the 94 team and put them on the current team, who would we take?

Although Big Nasty was the best player, we arent that bad in the post.  Especially is Mr. Hill keeps dominating (realize Hogville that 5 blocks is a 10 pt turnaround).

We would have to take a guard with good ball handling abilities.  The 2007 Hogs are only as good as our Turnover ratio each game.  Thats why this debate should really be about McDaniel and Beck.
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

fourthcrusade

January 30, 2007, 12:28:56 pm #39 Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 12:31:02 pm by fourthcrusade
Roger Crawford.  On crutches.

Bomis Hawg

I'd take Corey Beck.  His ability to lead a team and run the offense was exception.  A good on-ball defender.  Could shoot outside.  He also had 10 boards in the National Title game vs. Dook.

The only reason why I didn't say Thurman was I think Weems is more versatile than Scotty was -- he can do some posting up if the situation is right.  Corliss, at the 4 or 5, with this line-up would be outstanding.

I don't think you could go wrong with Beck or Williamson.  I think Beck adds more to this team -- running the offense, scrappy play, shooting, passing.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: BigEasy on January 22, 2007, 09:10:39 pm
"If you dont say Corliss, you obviously dont know much about basketball."

This is correct. 

For what it is worth, Hill would start on '94 assuming Nolan could teach him to rebound.  And we would not have lost a game. 

You are crazy.  You don't know anything about basketball.

Hill starting on the 94 team??  BBBWWWAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Not even close.  Dwight "Big Baby" Stewart or Darnell "I should have stayed in school" Robinson on the bench in favor of Steven Hill??  Are you delusional, did you take your medicine this morning??  Dwight's ability to take the big men outside opened up the inside for Corliss on more than one occassion.  You couldn't leave your big guy down low because Dwight would just drain a 3, and you couldn't put a guard on him, or he would get abused.  You had to play your big man on him out at the 3 point line, which made slashing to the basket for Clint and others so easy. 

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on January 22, 2007, 08:53:12 pm
NOLAN RICHARDSON!!!!!!!!

I know he's not a player but so what. Thats who I'd take

You, sir, are a genious.  That is the key that this team is missing.  Coaching. 

Nolan could take over this team tomorrow and have them a sweet 16 team.  Stan will be lucky to get into the tourney, and won't last past the first game. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

rasorback4life

The main thing this shows me is how much we miss real the Nolan Era.
Mediocrity Rules!!!

softballguy8

Quote from: hogtheball on January 22, 2007, 10:00:22 pm
Quote from: jeepinhogfan on January 22, 2007, 08:56:48 pm
I would have to pick Clint McDaniel, or Dwight Stewart.

Aren't Dwight Stewart and Townes one and the same?

Absolutely not ... Stewart could shoot from outside (accurately), that opened the inside game up for Corliss. Townes isn't reliable from outside.
Coach Petrino ... Welcome to Arkansas!

ErieHog

I'd have to go with Thurman-- not that he was the best player on the 94 team, just that he would address this current teams' needs the best.

This team plays defense, so his on the court presence wouldn't be a huge defensive liability; this team needs reliable ball handling, outside shooting, and someone who knows how to dictate tempo-- and Thurman excelled in all of those, especially knowing when to dial it back, and when to push-- and he never had a problem deferring to Corliss, an attitude that would hopefully be a little more contagious with our SFs.    Beck would be another mature hand that could help in that direction, but he'd be another guard with limited shot-making ability, which wouldn't help as much.

No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

Bomis Hawg

I'd take Corey Beck.  His ability to lead a team and run the offense was exception.  A good on-ball defender.  Could shoot outside.  He also had 10 boards in the National Title game vs. Dook.

The only reason why I didn't say Thurman was I think Weems is more versatile than Scotty was -- he can do some posting up if the situation is right.  Corliss, at the 4 or 5, with this line-up would be outstanding.

I don't think you could go wrong with Beck or Williamson.  I think Beck adds more to this team -- running the offense, scrappy play, shooting, passing

Genuine Mahawgony

can i pick Mike Anderson?

Nah..honestly, i think we'd be undefeated right now if Corey Beck was on our team.   

spudhog

that is tough. corliss would be awesome to have down low and scotty would stretch the defense and score. beck could handle the ball but not shoot real well. i say beck since he's a pg but that is a good question though.

clifflee4mvp

scotty thurman. the 3-pointer is an invaluable weapon. Corliss would be a close second.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Red Tusk

If you can accept losing, you can't win.-Vince Lombardi

'Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff.'-Steven Wright