Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN calls Steven Hill "the best athlete you've never heard of."

Started by TRUHOG718, January 21, 2007, 04:06:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TRUHOG718

ESPN's college basketball show "midnight madness" ran a story on our win over LSU and highlighted Arkansas Center Steven Hill. The announcers raved over Hill's play this week. They went as far as calling him "The best athlete you've never heard of" and also said "Hill will defenitely be playing in the NBA." Great for Hill and the University of Arkansas. Before this week I really was beginning to believe Hill was never going to progress in a Razorback uniform let alone make it to the NBA. Keep it up big fella we're gonna need you to come with it like that the rest of the season. WPS
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

TRUHOG718

Table Rocker

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on January 21, 2007, 04:06:53 pm
ESPN's college basketball show "midnight madness" ran a story on our win over LSU and highlighted Arkansas Center Steven Hill. The announcers raved over Hill's play this week. They went as far as calling him "The best athlete you've never heard of" and also said "Hill will defenitely be playing in the NBA." Great for Hill and the University of Arkansas. Before this week I really was beginning to believe Hill was never going to progress in a Razorback uniforn let alone make it to the NBA. Keep it up big fella we're gonna need you to come with it like that the rest of the season. WPS

i don't know about greatest athlete but i agree he'll be playing in the nba (hopefully after next year). you just don't find many left handed 7'0ers with good feet and quickly improving hands.

arkjay19

He has to continue playing like this though.  The same way that Ervin had a great game against Alabama, but hasn't stopped turning the ball over since.  The same way Charles Thomas played horrible against Florida, but has been playing great since. 

Hill along with the rest of the Hoop Hogs have to find their level of play that wins them games and stick with it instead of going up and down from game to game.

resqnu911

POPS

I don't know why this kid took so long to become aggressive. Maybe he was immature and now he's all grown up.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: Table Rocker on January 21, 2007, 04:10:04 pm
ESPN's college basketball show "midnight madness" ran a story on our win over LSU and highlighted Arkansas Center Steven Hill. The announcers raved over Hill's play this week. They went as far as calling him "The best athlete you've never heard of" and also said "Hill will defenitely be playing in the NBA." Great for Hill and the University of Arkansas. Before this week I really was beginning to believe Hill was never going to progress in a Razorback uniforn let alone make it to the NBA. Keep it up big fella we're gonna need you to come with it like that the rest of the season. WPS

i don't know about greatest athlete but i agree he'll be playing in the nba (hopefully after next year). you just don't find many left handed 7'0ers with good feet and quickly improving hands.

I think one of his biggest assests is his patience in blocking shots.  Very rarely does he leave his feet on a pumpfake, and he has very good timing on his jumps.  That timing is finally starting to show in rebounding and obviously the alley oops now.

HamShank

Let's hope he's turned the corner.  We've seen great performances from him before (not this good, granted) where he has regressed the next game.

WestMemphisHogFan

He has always been intimidating on the defensive end.  It is great to see him begin to roll on the offensive end.  He seems to be enjoying himself more than anytime I have seen him play.  He can flat get up and down the floor for a big man.  He is giving 110% on the floor.  I loved the play where he dove on the ground, grabbed the ball and called a timeout.  Keep it up Steven!

twistitup

What ever got him going.....keep doing it. Hill played like a MAN; let's all hope to see alot more of it.

Keep the hair growing, Keep the beard growing, Whatever works, just don't change it.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

TRUHOG718

Quote from: WestMemphisHogFan on January 21, 2007, 04:16:41 pm
He has always been intimidating on the defensive end.  It is great to see him begin to roll on the offensive end.  He seems to be enjoying himself more than anytime I have seen him play.  He can flat get up and down the floor for a big man.  He is giving 110% on the floor.  I loved the play where he dove on the ground, grabbed the ball and called a timeout.  Keep it up Steven!

Yeah its rare to see a seven footer give up his body by diving for a loose ball.

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on January 21, 2007, 04:19:56 pm
Quote from: WestMemphisHogFan on January 21, 2007, 04:16:41 pm

Yeah its rare to see a seven footer give up his body by diving for a loose ball.

Absolutely!  I loved it.

Some Sort of Prophet

He just needs to be more consistent.....well all of the Hogs need to be more consistent.

TRUHOG718

I cant remember any other time hearing the crowd chanting STEVEN HILL!

silvertip

Hill is a freak athlete similar to Matt Jones and Hurricane Andrews.

You will rarely see a & 7-foot BB player with the quickness, shot-blocking skills, and total athletic skills that Hill brings.

He reminds me of Hakeem Alojawon---or however you spell that.

Enjoy Hill RIGHT NOW. We will be lucky if he comes back next year.

TRUHOG718

Quote from: silvertip on January 21, 2007, 04:21:19 pm

You will rarely see a & 7-foot BB player with the quickness, shot-blocking skills, and total athletic skills that Hill brings.

Whats up Silvertip. Did you finish off the rest of that JAck last night.  ;D

NuttinItUp

TRUHOG718

Wow thats a strong statement. Hill seems like the type of person even if he could go this year he'd stay to help the team next year.

silvertip

Quote from: POPS on January 21, 2007, 04:12:05 pm
I don't know why this kid took so long to become aggressive. Maybe he was immature and now he's all grown up.

Read your own post & realize that big men take a couple years to develop

There is no mystery here. VERY FEW big men dominate before their junior seasons. Hill & Townes are stating to dominate now. as juniors. Nothing mysterious about it.

jry04

Quote from: arkhog9 on January 21, 2007, 04:11:34 pm
He has to continue playing like this though.  The same way that Ervin had a great game against Alabama, but hasn't stopped turning the ball over since.  The same way Charles Thomas played horrible against Florida, but has been playing great since. 

Hill along with the rest of the Hoop Hogs have to find their level of play that wins them games and stick with it instead of going up and down from game to game.
Ervin either had 0 or 1 turnover against Florida. He had 7 against Ole Miss, but only 4 were legit due to fouls not being called. He had 3 TOs vs LSU and 7 assists. He has been scoring a lot each game too. I like Ervin as long as he doesn't go too fast.

silvertip

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on January 21, 2007, 04:27:35 pm

Wow thats a strong statement. Hill seems like the type of person even if he could go this year he'd stay to help the team next year.

I hope Hill, Townes & Thomas stay for another year. For the sake of the program.

I'm afraid that Hill & Townes are good enuff to get NBA attention RIGHT NOW.

While at the same time, I think Thomas is our best player.  WPS!!

hogtheball

I remember people being frustrated with Andrew Lang while he was here.  He was similar to Hill in that he was much more aggressive on the defensive end of the court.  This defensive intensity got him 13 or 14 seasons in the NBA.  Not bad.   

Hill isn't as good of a rebounder as Lang yet, but has a lot more potential as an athlete.  He can get up and down the court as good as any 7 footer, and his timing on blocks is starting to transfer to his rebounding.  He is a little too fundamental on blocking out - if you are 7 ft. and can jump, blocking out is not quite as important as if you are Corliss.

I think it's possible that his improving strength comes from his growing hair - you know, like Sampson.  way to play, Steven.  Keep it up!!!!
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

HawgG

Steven Hill's intelligence is his biggest attribute.He has always had a high defensive awareness and now that he has taken his practices to games we see how high his offensive awareness is.No big man moves like he does from defense to offense and his reading and reacting to the way opponents defend the Hogs has been sensational.When run right Arkansas' pick-n-roll plays are very hard to defend.Their offense is very similar to the Utah Jazz of the NBA.

PIGINAPOKE

Standin Still..Oops. Steven Hill, He has had some good games this year..I still think he is way far from a Shack or any great center . I will wait and watch..Kudos to his play of late..I have doubts.

The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

chrsshlm

I definitely was surprised and impressed.  It brought a tear to my eye watching him run off the court with the biggest ol' smile when the crowd went wild for him. 

TRUHOG718

Quote from: chrsshlm on January 21, 2007, 05:01:35 pm
I definitely was surprised and impressed.  It brought a tear to my eye watching him run off the court with the biggest ol' smile when the crowd went wild for him. 

did you peep the scream he has when he dunks. I never noticed that. its not very intimidating like Thomas but its good to see some type of aggression from the big guy.

Brand X Hog Fan

Hill really needs to think about staying for his senior year. Townes and Thomas too. With Beverly as a Sophomore and Weems, and if we can add a pure shooter or two, look out! We'll be loaded for a National Championship run!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Topcat

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on January 21, 2007, 05:13:46 pm
Hill really needs to think about staying for his senior year. Townes and Thomas too. With Beverly as a Sophomore and Weems, and if we can add a pure shooter or two, look out! We'll be loaded for a National Championship run!
Strong words for a team with a 2-3 conference record and a terrible loss to Ole Miss. Two important road games coming up. We"ll see.....

HawgG

If Steven Hill left for the NBA after this season then Arkansas would be in deep trouble ,deep,deep trouble.Teams would annihilate us inside as we would offer no resistance.

As for as Townes and Thomas leaving early, what are they going home? There is know NBA for those guys without some miracle improvement in the offseason that neither of those guys are capable of.Do not overestimate these guys ability or desire to play this game.The only sure fire NBA player on Arkansas is Steven Hill.Both Beverley and Weems have a chance depending on how much they improve while at Arkansas.

Bigmac

Hill needs to develope a mid range jumper. He can not face the basket and shoot the 6-8 foot shot. If can get that in his arsenal then he has a great chance at the NBA.

A knack for going to the basket (at least against LSU)   
A good size frame
Can run the floor good
Good low post defender (Stays out of foul trouble)

He has those albeit they still need to be consistent. I just don't see many teams taking a chance on him without that shot when facing the basket. If he can drain that at least 40% of the time then he is in. If can do it 60% of the time he is a lottery pick.   

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: HawgG on January 21, 2007, 05:31:40 pm
If Steven Hill left for the NBA after this season then Arkansas would be in deep trouble ,deep,deep trouble.Teams would annihilate us inside as we would offer no resistance.

As for as Townes and Thomas leaving early, what are they going home? There is know NBA for those guys without some miracle improvement in the offseason that neither of those guys are capable of.Do not overestimate these guys ability or desire to play this game.The only sure fire NBA player on Arkansas is Steven Hill.Both Beverley and Weems have a chance depending on how much they improve while at Arkansas.

I disagree. I think Thomas has a real shot as a 7th man somewhere. I think he could excell in the NBA due to the one on one defense.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Queen Hog

I was very impressed with him yesterday.  He has come a long way.  Looks like he has pumped up too.  I don't remember his arms being so big last year.
I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller

Smithian

Hawg, Darian Townes can defend the paint if Hill were to leave.

Darian Townes is the most physically able NBA-type player on roster. Big body, speed, and a usable mid-range jumper. Put something like Udonis Haslem's mind and heart in his body and you have a pretty darn good player.

Zen_Hog

Put some pads on Steven Hill, and get him the ball in the redzone.

HawgG

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on January 21, 2007, 05:43:17 pm
I disagree. I think Thomas has a real shot as a 7th man somewhere. I think he could excell in the NBA due to the one on one defense.
Charles Thomas would not be drawing charge calls in the NBA.Remember you have to be an All Star or Superstar player to get the refs to call a charge on another Superstar.No name players get no calls in the NBA.

Remember guys such as Ron Slay(Tenn),Brandon Bass(LSU),and Jemere Hendrix(Bama).They are similar players to Thomas but each of those guys had much better careers then Charles has had and they found out the NBA is not easy to make it to.I'm sorry, Charles is a nice player but is not NBA material.

weevilhogg

Hill has been a good / great center since he's been here.   I recall countless games where he worked his tail off to get postion but the guys (modica and co) never got him the ball.  At some point, you stop trying so hard to get position and turn your attention to what you do best -- defense.

Now, the guys seem to be looking for him.  He's getting in much better position on offense, as well.

The diving, hustle, etc have been there since day one.   I've always been pissed at the bozos who say Hill doesn't play with heart or say he doesn't hustle.

I'm glad things are coming together for him.
Oh my!

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Didnt his mother die right before the season started last year? That might have something to do with him not progressing as much as people had hoped.

HawgG

Quote from: Smithian on January 21, 2007, 05:46:39 pm
Hawg, Darian Townes can defend the paint if Hill were to leave.

Darian Townes is the most physically able NBA-type player on roster. Big body, speed, and a usable mid-range jumper. Put something like Udonis Haslem's mind and heart in his body and you have a pretty darn good player.

You are right if you could mix a little of this and add a little of that Darian would be a really good player, but you cannot do that and he is what he is.

Townes can run the floor but there is more needed to be NBA ready.Darian is an average leaper at best and cannot defend a telephone pole.He would give up career highs in points to every PF he would face on the next level.He is no where near the defender Hill is and I stand by what I said about Arkansas would be in Big trouble without Steven Hill.

TRUHOG718

Lets not forget Hill was a high recruit on the high school board but he took so damn long to develop. Refer to the 2003 high school rankings I thing he was ranked #32 or close to it. I guess Heath knew what he was doing.

lovethosehogs

I loved when he came out of nowhere for the offensive rebound and slammed it home.  He is always going for the ball.

Hog in MO

I don't know that I'd call him immature - i just think its been tough on him to adjust.  Its tough for most all big men to adjust to the college game where there are actually people that can defend them and they can't just turn around and dunk it over everyone.  Plus, his mom passing away right after he got here had to be hard on him.  Who would'nt be distracted having to play through that?  Regardless, I'm really stoked to see him playing like this and hope he keeps it up.   

TRUHOG718

Quote from: Hog in MO on January 21, 2007, 07:05:05 pm

I don't know that I'd call him immature - i just think its been tough on him to adjust.  Its tough for most all big men to adjust to the college game where there are actually people that can defend them and they can't just turn around and dunk it over everyone.  Plus, his mom passing away right after he got here had to be hard on him.  Who would'nt be distracted having to play through that?  Regardless, I'm really stoked to see him playing like this and hope he keeps it up.  

A perfect example of this is Thabeet from Uconn. The kid has no offensive game but he swats everything and plays good d. He is a freshman I is like 7'2. He plays a lot of minutes. I guess in time it will pay off.

spahoopsfan

Quote from: silvertip on January 21, 2007, 04:34:38 pm
Quote from: TRUHOG718 on January 21, 2007, 04:27:35 pm

I hope Hill, Townes & Thomas stay for another year. For the sake of the program.

I'm afraid that Hill & Townes are good enuff to get NBA attention RIGHT NOW.

While at the same time, I think Thomas is our best player.  WPS!!
[/quote

I say Thomas is not close to making the NBA.  He is a liability on defense and is not quick enough to guard small forwards nor is he good off the dribble. Hill would also be crazy to go out early he needs to stay and get better offensively.  I was at the game and I admit he played by far his best game. Not only with being aggressive going for the dunks but he didn't fumble the ball like he normally does. A very impressive game. I love the fact that Hill and Townes played together. In the first half inserting Townes for Thomas was a very good move. Townes is tough to defend one on one he gets in trouble when he isn't passing out of the double team.

Tony Clifton

It looks like he's feeling it when he was out there.  He was smiling the whole game Saturday.  If he'll keep playing that way that will take some pressure off the guards.

hogtheball

Quote from: Tony Clifton on January 21, 2007, 09:59:36 pm
It looks like he's feeling it when he was out there.  He was smiling the whole game Saturday.  If he'll keep playing that way that will take some pressure off the guards.

Agreed.  I think Weems is the first one to figure out that he can get an easy assist by throwing the ball over the rim on Hill's side of the play.  Hopefully, this trend will continue.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

HawgWyld

ESPN's college basketball show "midnight madness" ran a story on our win over LSU and highlighted Arkansas Center Steven Hill. The announcers raved over Hill's play this week. They went as far as calling him "The best athlete you've never heard of" and also said "Hill will defenitely be playing in the NBA." Great for Hill and the University of Arkansas. Before this week I really was beginning to believe Hill was never going to progress in a Razorback uniform let alone make it to the NBA. Keep it up big fella we're gonna need you to come with it like that the rest of the season. WPS
Yeah, what happened to him this year? It's like he woke up all of the sudden. He's been getting more impressive with each game. He's looked good all season long (for the most part) and looked absolutely great against Georgia and LSU.

Let's hope that trend continues!

jchill

Let's not forget that his mother died his freshman year and that could have played a part in how he played.

Pignominious

Quote from: jchill on January 21, 2007, 10:27:39 pm

Let's not forget that his mother died his freshman year and that could have played a part in how he played.

Yes that's correct.  He has really battled.  I've been tough on him in the past for not scoring and rebounding, but it looks like he might finally be coming around. 
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

HogFanInTulsa

After watching Hill the last few games it shows he has some confidence. I think a lot of that comes from Heath finally letting him stay in the game for more than 5 or 6 minutes at a time and let him get the feel for the game. I got chills up and down watching him against LSU because I was excited that we FINALLY got to see what it is like to have a BIG MAN on our team that can actually make some highlight moves. Jason Jennings our last 7 footer was nothing more than a huge joke! I am proud that Heath is really developing Hill into a player. I think if he left this year he would spend some time in the NBA D-league, so I think he may (im praying) will stick around next year. I have given up on the hogs this year. I cant wait till next year though returning Hill, Townes, Thomas, Ervin, Beaverly, Weems, and he$l the whole team back....BUT then again I say that every year.... And nothing happends

Pignominious

Quote from: HogFanInTulsa on January 21, 2007, 11:11:55 pm
After watching Hill the last few games it shows he has some confidence. I think a lot of that comes from Heath finally letting him stay in the game for more than 5 or 6 minutes at a time and let him get the feel for the game. I got chills up and down watching him against LSU because I was excited that we FINALLY got to see what it is like to have a BIG MAN on our team that can actually make some highlight moves. Jason Jennings our last 7 footer was nothing more than a huge joke! I am proud that Heath is really developing Hill into a player. I think if he left this year he would spend some time in the NBA D-league, so I think he may (im praying) will stick around next year. I have given up on the hogs this year. I cant wait till next year though returning Hill, Townes, Thomas, Ervin, Beaverly, Weems, and he$l the whole team back....BUT then again I say that every year.... And nothing happends

Hill will not go pro after this year.  He just isn't the kind of guy to do that.  He is to humble. 

Why did you give up on this team?  The roller coaster ride will probably continue.  One thing about college basketball is that you can be down but never out.  The season is just to long.  We stand a pretty good chance of making the tourney this year.

Did a quick number crunch on Steven Hill and he is averaging 9.6 points, 5.4 rebounds, 3.4 blocks, in 23.6 minutes per game in conference.  Those are pretty good numbers for him.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.