Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 06, 2024, 07:21:39 pm

Censoring at Bud Walton Arena..

Started by Godfather, January 17, 2007, 10:59:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Godfather

Yep.  Its on.

Sign 1.  I was there in the upperdeck cheering on the pigs when a student raised a "Malzahn for Athletic Director" Sign.  He showed it around for like 2 minutes.  Then lowered it.  Nothing happened. ok?  Nope.  Men in red suits (kid you not) came over with an usher and took the sign away.  Looks like he reluctantly let it go.  Anyway.  Game goes on.

Sign 2.  Later the same guy in the trough raises a "Nuttin but Crap" Sign.  He only raised that for a SHORT time and it was not confiscated.  I dont think they actually saw that one. 

Anyway I investigated.  After talking to an usher he said that they had not been told to watch for signs or warned of anything.  HE did say if "The Administration" sees anything objectionable that they will ask them to remove it.  So I imagine that was the story.  I dont know how "Malzahn for AD" was objectionable, but I guess with the situation where it is, someone cried.

This makes me mad, but I imagine there is a legal document somewhere that is accepted when you buy the ticket and it states you must comply or leave. 

I think we should FLOOD BWA on Saturday (if anyone is still going after Newman kicked us) with a ton of signs.  NOT disrespectful or crude.  I dont want to see profanities, but we should voice our opinion.  I am in the upper deck and may attach a sign to the rail.  The old ladies attach 3s to the rail, so I should be able to attach my sign..  Seems logical.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I had to share.

WPS.  Always a fan here.
WPS to the end.

hogheat1

would have been funny if they were on tv

TheMediocreEra

what were the reactions from the people in the stands?

Godfather

Didnt seem to be much reaction, but I was up in the rafters and couldnt hear the exact words.  No big rousing or anything, unfortunatly.
WPS to the end.

Marshfieldhog

Was anybody at the game? What was the real attendance, not the annouced attendance?

Le Hogtre

Why would the university let you post a sign that makes its representatives look bad in their own arena?  Would you let someone put up signs in your front yard or on your fridge that embarrass you?

CallThemHawgs!

I do know that during a free throw some dude in the front row yelled "FIRE HOUSTON NUTT", hahaha it was hillarious. Our whole section in the upper deck were all talking about how big a joke Nuttsack is, pretty much everyone ive talked to in person is completely against nutt. Guess that 5% is growing?

TheMediocreEra

Quote from: Le Hogtre on January 17, 2007, 11:04:40 pm
Why would the university let you post a sign that makes its representatives look bad in their own arena?  Would you let someone put up signs in your front yard or on your fridge that embarrass you?

1st Amendment has something to say to those representatives...

Dugann

I thought this is our Arena, or am I missing something here.... I thought that the U of A is a state school not a private school or am I missing something?  Another expample of bully by the U of A Athlethic Department.  I am not clear on the laws on this but seems to me that is not something that is right.  maybe someone will have some better insight to it but I think that I am right in saying that the U of A is state funded and that Arean is not private.  If I am wrong I will eat my shorts man. hehe.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Pignominious

Quote from: Godfather on January 17, 2007, 10:59:43 pm
Yep.  Its on.

Sign 1.  I was there in the upperdeck cheering on the pigs when a student raised a "Malzahn for Athletic Director" Sign.  He showed it around for like 2 minutes.  Then lowered it.  Nothing happened. ok?  Nope.  Men in red suits (kid you not) came over with an usher and took the sign away.  Looks like he reluctantly let it go.  Anyway.  Game goes on.

Sign 2.  Later the same guy in the trough raises a "Nuttin but Crap" Sign.  He only raised that for a SHORT time and it was not confiscated.  I dont think they actually saw that one. 

Anyway I investigated.  After talking to an usher he said that they had not been told to watch for signs or warned of anything.  HE did say if "The Administration" sees anything objectionable that they will ask them to remove it.  So I imagine that was the story.  I dont know how "Malzahn for AD" was objectionable, but I guess with the situation where it is, someone cried.

This makes me mad, but I imagine there is a legal document somewhere that is accepted when you buy the ticket and it states you must comply or leave. 

I think we should FLOOD BWA on Saturday (if anyone is still going after Newman kicked us) with a ton of signs.  NOT disrespectful or crude.  I dont want to see profanities, but we should voice our opinion.  I am in the upper deck and may attach a sign to the rail.  The old ladies attach 3s to the rail, so I should be able to attach my sign..  Seems logical.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I had to share.

WPS.  Always a fan here.

I was three rows back from that.  The guy who had the nuttin but crap one is a friend of mine.  The students where pretty supportive of it.  There was another sign on the opposite side. 
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

James K. Pork

They sure as hell don't seem to mind their own representatives shaming the university's reputation.  Why would they care about a few signs?

ray serbach

You mean those little fridge signs with the magnets on the back...oh hell no!

Pignominious

I'd say there were 16,000-17,250 there tonight.  Decent crowd.  A lot of people considering the mediocre basketball for over 5 years.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Godfather

Some other students had signs that said "Old People Make Noise".

That sign was allowed..
WPS to the end.

hogblade

There was also a sign that said " Houston You have A Problem" being held up by like a 10 year old girl that the Ushers came over and confiscated way before the Gus sign was taken. This was near the beginning of the game. Then a guy that was sitting right in front of me was holding a sign that said " You can't spell Ugly without UG" and they took that too. They also took a " Mitch Who?" sign as well.

TheMediocreEra

Quote from: Godfather on January 17, 2007, 11:14:51 pm

That sign was allowed..

lol

softballguy8

Quote from: Dugann on January 17, 2007, 11:12:43 pm
I thought this is our Arena, or am I missing something here.... I thought that the U of A is a state school not a private school or am I missing something?  Another expample of bully by the U of A Athlethic Department.  I am not clear on the laws on this but seems to me that is not something that is right.  maybe someone will have some better insight to it but I think that I am right in saying that the U of A is state funded and that Arean is not private.  If I am wrong I will eat my shorts man. hehe.

Why don't the users gripe about this message board saying we can't post anymore email threads or nothing about Mitchell's grandmother.

I'm not trying to start trouble. I'm just saying ... 
Coach Petrino ... Welcome to Arkansas!

Ex-Trumpet

Everybody just needs to wear Tulsa garb...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

tkhog

That sign was allowed..
Did you not see the old man holding up the sign that said "Young People Make Noise"?

tkhog

Quote from: Dugann on January 17, 2007, 11:12:43 pm
Actually, I think the arena and all other Razorback venues are owned by the Razorback Foundation which would make them private...

tkhog

Quote from: CabotHog on January 17, 2007, 11:42:25 pm
Quote from: tkhog on January 17, 2007, 11:41:37 pm

That sign was allowed..
Did you not see the old man holding up the sign that said "Young People Make Noise"?

What? Middle-aged people aren't allowed to make noise?
They're too old to have forgotten or too young to not have learned... They can figure it out for themselves...

arcowboy

The Broyles gestapo will get your Tulsa shirts and caps if you wear them.

arcowboy

Did anyone see the big video sign at Harps in Springdale on the front page of the Morning News.?

hogblade

tkhog

Quote from: arcowboy on January 17, 2007, 11:46:25 pm
Did anyone see the big video sign at Harps in Springdale on the front page of the Morning News.?
Nope what'd it say?

arcowboy

On one side it said  " Good Luck Gus "   On the other it said    "Thanks Gus for the Memories"

arcowboy

The manager said they did it because almost everyone that came into the store were upset over Gus leaving.

the donger

Quote from: tkhog on January 17, 2007, 11:47:50 pm
Quote from: arcowboy on January 17, 2007, 11:46:25 pm
Nope what'd it say?
GOOD LUCK COACH MALZAHN

Hog Van Ham

There is a statement on the back of every razorback ticket that lists a bunch of rules for the Ticket Holder.  One of them is "All signs, banners and flags must have prior approval by the University of Arkansas."  Do they always enforce the rule?  No.  But the ones they don't like can be taken away and by being a ticket holder, you have already agreed to those rules. 

stchane

Guys,

I'm an out of stater (Tulsa), and I'm hoping to get over there on Friday and go to the game Saturday.  This is horseshite.  Can anybody verify if the Razorback Foundation "owns" BWA.  It said on their website something about the RF running the arena, but not "owning" it. 
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

Marshfieldhog

Stand outside the stadium and hold up a sign before the game, then discard it and go to the game.

Ugly Uncle

January 18, 2007, 12:10:19 am #31 Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 12:13:00 am by uglyuncle
Quote from: Hog Van Ham on January 17, 2007, 11:56:12 pm

There is a statement on the back of every razorback ticket that lists a bunch of rules for the Ticket Holder.  One of them is "All signs, banners and flags must have prior approval by the University of Arkansas."  Do they always enforce the rule?  No.  But the ones they don't like can be taken away and by being a ticket holder, you have already agreed to those rules. 

Not necessarily true.  Been a while since I studied this...but you cannot make a rule or pass a law that will infringe  upon your constitutional rights.  Now, I don't know if the Bud is private property or what the law might consider it to be.  However, just because it is printed on the ticket does not mean you agree to it.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.  But I'm fairly certain they cannot make a rule that would keep you from doing...or allow them to do something that infringed on your rights.

You know what...never mind. 
Retired Radio Host

rfen

I personally think that it would be hilarious if somebody wore a USC shirt (for Damian) and a Tulsa hat.  Just a thought.  If fans will show the administration that they are not content with all of this b.s. and start making a peaceful ruckus, then the admin. will feel guilty for trying to put such a strain on our freedom of speech.  Oh well, I guess they just want some spotlight too. 

Now I know why I like the Longhorns...(no negativity towards the darksiders).

razor

Freedom of speech does not exist in a dictatorship. We're just plebes held down by the football program. Can you imagine the celebrations that will take place on Dickson Street when the dictator is gone?

hog_tied

Where can I get me one of those Tulsa apparel items?!  I'll wear a hat to school EVERYDAY.  I'll become known as "that girl with the Tulsa cap". 

Sorry, but I just can't bring myself to wear a USC shirt.  Nothing against Damian, I just don't like USC.
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right"  - Henry Ford

:razorback: GO HOGS! :razorback:

stchane

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 18, 2007, 12:10:19 am
Not necessarily true.  Been a while since I studied this...but you cannot make a rule or pass a law that will infringe  upon your constitutional rights.  Now, I don't know if the Bud is private property or what the law might consider it to be.  However, just because it is printed on the ticket does not mean you agree to it.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.  But I'm fairly certain they cannot make a rule that would keep you from doing...or allow them to do something that infringed on your rights.

This is the disclaimer on the back of the ticket:

Persons drinking alocoholic beverages or using artificial noisemakers in BWA may be ejected without refund or admission price.  All signs, banners, and flags must have prior approval by the UA Athletic Department.  Soliciting contributions or distributing literature is prohibited inside BWA and parking areas on game day. 

DAMMIT!!
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

silvertip

Get a bunch of hot young coeds to wear Tulsa t-shirts with no bras.

Let the confiscatin' begin!!  WPS!!

hogtimer01

I love the sign idea.  I think a bunch of people should bring and display them.  We have to let them know in many ways how we feel about this.

joshUARK

Someone just needs to bring a sign and REFUSE to give it up. It'll create a commotion. They'll probably kick you out of the game. Have friends there, with cameras. Take pictures and your story to the ADG, Traveler, Morning News, Etc, etc, etc.

Oliverhogman

I wonder what would happen if 2 people stood outside each entrance door.

One holding a sign Gus fans enter here the other holding a sign Nutt fans enter here.

If that were to happen I bet one of the ticket takers would be sweating from working so hard.  While the other ticket taker was twiddling his thumbs.

BUBBAHOG

WALTON ARENA IS NOT THE TIME OR THE PLACE TO PROTEST THE FB PROGRAM. SUPPORT THE KIDS. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE BB PROGRAM STAY HOME. OTHERWISE SUPPORT.

tbhogfan

QuoteI think we should FLOOD BWA on Saturday (if anyone is still going after Newman kicked us) with a ton of signs.  NOT disrespectful or crude.  I dont want to see profanities, but we should voice our opinion.  I am in the upper deck and may attach a sign to the rail.  The old ladies attach 3s to the rail, so I should be able to attach my sign..  Seems logical.

That will look great for the football recruits and 5 star basketball recruit who will be in attendance. 
Go Hogs!

abraHAM_lincoln

They will say they aren't censuring free speech, but will whip out some obscure claim that the signs are a safety hazard.  Someone might get a paper cut I guess...

arcowboy

Yeah, take a I love JFB or I love Nutt and watch them move you right down to the front row.

Godfather

Quote from: BUBBAHOG on January 18, 2007, 07:57:24 am
WALTON ARENA IS NOT THE TIME OR THE PLACE TO PROTEST THE FB PROGRAM. SUPPORT THE KIDS. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE BB PROGRAM STAY HOME. OTHERWISE SUPPORT.

Someone has sour grapes.. 

CAPS LOCK.  Read about it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caps_lock
WPS to the end.

bakerm522

Just put a sign on your car so people will see it when you drive through campus and in the parking lot, but won't effect the BB team.

Godfather

I cannot selectively support Frank.  I am against him.  Period.  I am not against the BBall team.  I am not against the FB Team.  Halftime when the team is in the locker room is the perfect time to pop all the signs up.  Right after the worthless part where theres some dumb "entertainment" (althoug last night was good) then before the team comes back out.

OR

Students.. pop them up when the ESPN cameras are on the trough..  hehe.  Bam.  Thats coverage. 

Just my thoughts.  I am not looking to stir trouble, but right now the sport IS basketball that fans are attending.  If it were football I would do it there.  Nothing against basketball.  In fact I have been to ALL the home games this year. 

Have you?

~out
WPS to the end.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on January 17, 2007, 11:29:20 pm
Everybody just needs to wear Tulsa garb...

Can you tell me where i can get a tulsa flag? i want to hang in my window (i live on california blvd right by the stadium)

Godfather

I would like to see the "Preapproval" papers, or the list of approved signs, or learn about the approval process (which is non-existant) for signs.  I am doing some reasearch on this today. 

We may have to bring markers and a posterboard with "Go Hogs" on 1 side and BLANK on the other..  ;)
WPS to the end.

hogsrbad

Just go enjoy the game and get a life!